Bowden-less Media Day

There are 9 comments on the St. Augustine Record story from Aug 8, 2010, titled Bowden-less Media Day. In it, St. Augustine Record reports that:

Florida State held its first media day without Bobby Bowden in 34 years on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Augustine Record.

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Since: Dec 06

Cleveland, Ms,

#1 Aug 9, 2010
Well maybe they will move from the Criminals to the juvenile delinquents. Horrible school with an embarrasing histroy.
not sure

Auburn, PA

#2 Aug 10, 2010
I thought I read somewhere that you normally make intelligent posts. Did you stop doing that? Have you ever been to FSU? If not then all of your information is second hand. So you saw it on T.V. it must be true. I am not going to pretend that FSU has not had any questionable characters, but every football school has some student athletes that get into trouble. Yes FSU has had times when it had more than most, but they have been responsible in their punishment of those individuals. Three individuals have gotten into trouble under Jimbo Fisher, and two of them are no longer on the team (both were projected starters), the third had the charges dropped (it was a possession of stolen property) he purchased that stolen property, yes he should have know it was a deal to good to be true, but he is only 20 years old. UF had 24 arrests in an 18 month period ending last year. Miami had homicides. I know I was never afraid for my safety in the four years I spent on campus. I suppose ND is perfect.

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Cleveland, Ms,

#3 Aug 11, 2010
not sure wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that you normally make intelligent posts. Did you stop doing that? Have you ever been to FSU? If not then all of your information is second hand. So you saw it on T.V. it must be true. I am not going to pretend that FSU has not had any questionable characters, but every football school has some student athletes that get into trouble. Yes FSU has had times when it had more than most, but they have been responsible in their punishment of those individuals. Three individuals have gotten into trouble under Jimbo Fisher, and two of them are no longer on the team (both were projected starters), the third had the charges dropped (it was a possession of stolen property) he purchased that stolen property, yes he should have know it was a deal to good to be true, but he is only 20 years old. UF had 24 arrests in an 18 month period ending last year. Miami had homicides. I know I was never afraid for my safety in the four years I spent on campus. I suppose ND is perfect.
I dated a girl there when Charlie Ward was the qb and have been there many times, my brother in law is an alum. He also runs one of their football sites. So I am very familar with what goes on, the closer you get, the more it smells, ask any student there. As far as Florida goes, you are right, they are much worse than FSU these days. FSU looks like Oral Roberts U in comparison. The Ciminals past isn't just wiped clean because there is a new coach in town. He has to prove himself. Wasn't he there when they were cheating? My father in law and wife went to Florida, I have no love for them either. ND is perfect in the sense that they only accept players with great morals and great grades. Are there a few bad seeds that get in, yes, but on no where near the same scale. The Florida schools recruit talent and talent alone. They don't care or haven't in the past about the student part of the student athlete title. That is something that does bother me because bad behavior is often over looked and then it just becomes a revolving door. Lessons don't get learned. I hope Jimbo cleans it up and changes the mentality of the football team, be winners on and off the field.
not sure

Auburn, PA

#4 Aug 11, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
I dated a girl there when Charlie Ward was the qb and have been there many times, my brother in law is an alum. He also runs one of their football sites. So I am very familar with what goes on, the closer you get, the more it smells, ask any student there. As far as Florida goes, you are right, they are much worse than FSU these days. FSU looks like Oral Roberts U in comparison. The Ciminals past isn't just wiped clean because there is a new coach in town. He has to prove himself. Wasn't he there when they were cheating? My father in law and wife went to Florida, I have no love for them either. ND is perfect in the sense that they only accept players with great morals and great grades. Are there a few bad seeds that get in, yes, but on no where near the same scale. The Florida schools recruit talent and talent alone. They don't care or haven't in the past about the student part of the student athlete title. That is something that does bother me because bad behavior is often over looked and then it just becomes a revolving door. Lessons don't get learned. I hope Jimbo cleans it up and changes the mentality of the football team, be winners on and off the field.
ND is perfect in the sense that they only accept players with great morals and great grades. Ok, Grades yes I agree (ND is a private school, FSU is a public school) The academic standards should be higher at ND and I agree they are especially at the undergrad level. But ND only accepting people with great morals, I have to call the BS card on that. Athletes with no priors yes, but great morals come on really? Do you even believe that? Anyway here is the whole argument....UF is winning because they are accepting the best athletes, FSU is having down years because they got bit from a select few that were "Criminoles" and Jimbo really is looking for better character than the great BB ever did. ND is never going to be a top notch program again because the student part of student athlete is too difficult for today's spoiled brat attitude of the top HS athletes.

When a 16 year old kid is told how great he is for years, most have a tendency to start believing it. Then they get that sense of entitlement that usually leads to a lack of academic achievement. ND being picky has help a lot of schools on the field as much as it has help ND off the field.
not sure

Auburn, PA

#5 Aug 11, 2010
Just to clarify "top notch" meaning they can sustain being a NC contender for a few consecutive years.

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Cleveland, Ms,

#6 Aug 11, 2010
not sure wrote:
Just to clarify "top notch" meaning they can sustain being a NC contender for a few consecutive years.
If that is the case we should look at enforcing the rules. It would change if the already existing rules weren't constantly circumvented by coaches looking to win at all cost. I want us to be back where once was, just not at the cost of doing as so many do. If the kids were held to higher standards to play, they would do what it took. They aren't so they don't. My question is, what if Notre Dame is able to win a NC in the next couple of years, what then? The sad thing is that it would be proven that you can win with morals but another thing will be proven the next year, it's just easier not to.
not sure

Auburn, PA

#7 Aug 13, 2010
ND will not win the NC as long as they remain as strict on charachter and education. They can only strive to be good, unless they start to compromise. It does help that they are an independent so their schedule is not as strong as some of the other schools. (and before you say it, yes they do play a few top notch schools every year so I am not saying they do not ever play tough teams, just that conference play is where most good teams lose). As a fan you are hoping that I am wrong, but look at all of the schools that have won a NC in the last 10 years and tell me what ones had NO questionable individuals on the team.

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Cleveland, Ms,

#8 Aug 13, 2010
not sure wrote:
ND will not win the NC as long as they remain as strict on charachter and education. They can only strive to be good, unless they start to compromise. It does help that they are an independent so their schedule is not as strong as some of the other schools.(and before you say it, yes they do play a few top notch schools every year so I am not saying they do not ever play tough teams, just that conference play is where most good teams lose). As a fan you are hoping that I am wrong, but look at all of the schools that have won a NC in the last 10 years and tell me what ones had NO questionable individuals on the team.
They had more than questionable individuals, they had criminal individuals. Lots of them. What I am saying is that these "questionable" individuals shouldn't be given scholarships. It the case of all but 1 team that has won in the past 10 years, they were public intritutions and the tax payers were paying for a criminal to enjoy life rather making him pay for his mistakes. There is no reasonable argument that says that it shouldn't be done the way Stanford, Notre Dame and few others do it, it's just easier not to and the fans of those teams praise bad behavior rather than demand that it shouldn't be allowed.

By the way, they lose in conference play because that is usually the only time besides a bowl that they even play anyone decent and the law of avg. says that that should lose more in conference play for the simple fact that most of their games are in Conference play.
not sure

Auburn, PA

#9 Aug 16, 2010
Now you are just being silly. If your OOC games are Oklahoma, Florida, BYU, and Samford it is pretty safe to bet that you have one of the toughest OOC schedules in the nation. Correct me if I am wrong, but I only see one easy game in that group. In most cases these big football programs have football scholarships paid for through booster endowments. So the tax payer argument is really weak, furthermore football is a revenue sport so the criminals that you speak of are increasing revenue and keeping costs down, not driving them up. I am not saying it is good to have bad people on the team, just like you do for ND, my hope is that we have no incidents, and everyone that we recruit is an Academic AA. Also the last time I checked ND had four times as many people arrested in the off season as FSU. Eight underage drinking and a MJ possession. FSU had two and charges were dropped on the one. The other is suspended, and will probably never suit up for FSU again (he stole stuff out of a car).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Ponder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Tale Of Two Ponders (Sep '13) Sep '13 Laughing Bear Fan 22
News Vikings support Christian Ponder, but coach say... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Sodomites 3
News NFL Quarterbacks That Shouldn't Be Starting (May '13) May '13 flbadcatowner 16
News Souhan: It's time already: Bench McNabb and sta... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Purple Faithful 13
News College Football Preseason Top 25 (Jul '11) Aug '11 BigDan 3
News Quarterback uncertainty for Miami Hurricanes, F... (Jul '11) Jul '11 bakers dozen 2
News Anyone ready for Sooners-Seminoles? (May '11) May '11 FSU 1
More from around the web