PSU no worse than other one-loss teams

PSU no worse than other one-loss teams

There are 27 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Nov 23, 2008, titled PSU no worse than other one-loss teams. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

We now know where Penn State is headed next month. So it's the perfect time to discuss where the Nittany Lions should be going, why they aren't there and who is responsible.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
urshallow

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Nov 24, 2008
Pass the KoolAid, opps Bodani drank it all and is on vicious trip.
Orlando

Stevinson, CA

#22 Nov 25, 2008
You are right on Frank. Also, I think the fact that the Big 10 does not have a championship game also hurts. Penn State will be left out of the spotlight because they are done playing and Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma still have games to play. When is the Big 10 going to add another team, split the conference and be visible the last week of the season like the SEC and Big X11? I used to think Notre Dame would be the obvious choice. I'm not so sure now.
Bernard Green

United States

#23 Nov 26, 2008
The bottom line is... Penn State still would've gotten screwed if they had gone 12-0 (see 1968, 1969, 1973, and 1994 seasons). I strongly believe the media/BCS had their minds made up in preseason to have the SEC Champ vs. Big 12 Champ in the title game, so in retrospect, it wouldn't have matter what the other conferences accomplished. If Penn State hadn't lost on the last play of the game against Michigan in 2005, they STILL wouldn't have played for the title. As long as the media/BCS has this infatuation with the Big 12/SEC, the other conferences are playing just for "playing's" sake.

Since: Feb 08

Highspire, PA

#24 Nov 26, 2008
Bernard Green wrote:
The bottom line is... Penn State still would've gotten screwed if they had gone 12-0 (see 1968, 1969, 1973, and 1994 seasons). I strongly believe the media/BCS had their minds made up in preseason to have the SEC Champ vs. Big 12 Champ in the title game, so in retrospect, it wouldn't have matter what the other conferences accomplished. If Penn State hadn't lost on the last play of the game against Michigan in 2005, they STILL wouldn't have played for the title. As long as the media/BCS has this infatuation with the Big 12/SEC, the other conferences are playing just for "playing's" sake.
One thing's for sure- if they had any chance of being considered it lived and died with Ohio St. losing to USC. But how ridiculous is that? The Big Ten season was over in the month of September, due to how ONE team fared in ONE game. College football is a political joke, and a bad one at that.

“DEC 7 1941”

Since: Dec 06

AWAYS A BUCKEYE!!!

#25 Nov 26, 2008
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>One thing's for sure- if they had any chance of being considered it lived and died with Ohio St. losing to USC. But how ridiculous is that? The Big Ten season was over in the month of September, due to how ONE team fared in ONE game. College football is a political joke, and a bad one at that.
I agree, its not even on life-support...its not fun any more...plain and simple the system is ran by the same type of folks on wall street and all those banks that gave out loans, its all about betting in vegas, how much $$$$ are the schools and networks are going to get while the player fight for a 1% chance to play in the NFL and get nothing during their cfb career, while they make $$$ for the schools and networks.....my opinion...it sucks!
Bob

United States

#26 Nov 28, 2008
Big Ten is a weak conference? Most sane people would acknowledge that the Big Ten is stronger than the ACC and Big East. As for the Pac Ten, Penn State destroyed the current Pac Ten leader (and team that beat USC). If Oregon State wins the Pac Ten, no other conference champion can say they beat a conference champion from another BCS conference (unless FSU can actually win the ACC). USC ranked ahead of Penn State (and the thought that the Pac Ten is a better conference than the Big Ten) is a joke. As far as the SEC, I would like to know what game of relevance has been won out of conference this year by an SEC team. The SEC is a two team conference just like most other conferences. I keep hearing about how great Florida is. Anyone remember the beat down that supposedly unathletic Michigan team gave the mighty Gators in last year's Bowl game? Since the BCS came into existence the Big Ten has a winning record against the SEC in their Bowl games. Sorry SEC homers, but the facts are the facts. Live with them. With regard to the Big 12, I can't even remember the last time Oklahoma has won a relevant Bowl game. It would also be nice to see the "tough" Big 12 teams actually play somebody that plays defense. Also, how a team that gives up 60+ points and loses by more than 40 and still remains ranked in the top 10 is shocking and downright stupid. That shows that the rankings are an absolute sham. This whole situation has led me to actually defend Ohio State. I seem to recall that Ohio State was 5-0 in BCS games until the last 2 seasons. Frankly, I believe they lost the last 2 title games because of poor coaching and not lack of talent. Tressel was outcoached in those games. All you have to do is look at NFL rosters to see how many great athletes come out of the Big Ten. As far as speed goes, take a real good look at the PSU team. I would love to see PSU get a shot at Florida, Alabama, USC, Texas, Oklahoma or any of the other supposed top teams in perfect weather conditions. I hate denigrating other teams and conferences but I am sick of people who do not watch football from other conferences making uninformed statements. All of the big conferences have some good teams and to say one is better than the other is nothing but talk. The only way to tell who has the better conference is to actually play the games against each other. PSU has had 4 undefeated seasons without a National Championship so I could care less about championships. We at Happy Valley care about undefeated seasons. All of these issues could be resolved on the field if everybody would agree to what Joe Paterno has been asking for over the years. Have a playoff. We send the conference champions from the 6 BCS conferences and 2 at large bids. Don't tell us how to choose our champion (i.e. have the money maker that is a championship game). Just tell the Pac Ten and Big Ten champs where to show up and they will be ready to play.
Reality Check

Philadelphia, PA

#27 Nov 28, 2008
Sorry, but you must come back to reality. Watch the shows, listen to sports radio. ALL of them will tell you the truth. the Big Ten (11) is a weak conference this year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chris Wells Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NFL: How former Buckeyes fared | BuckeyeXtra (Jan '11) Jan '11 TNBuckeye 2
News NFL: How former Buckeyes fared | BuckeyeXtra (Nov '10) Nov '10 dandydon64 3
News NFL: How former Buckeyes fared | BuckeyeXtra (Oct '10) Oct '10 JAG 3
News NFL: How former Buckeyes fared | BuckeyeXtra (Oct '10) Oct '10 Canton Calling 2
News NFL: How former Buckeyes fared | BuckeyeXtra (Sep '10) Sep '10 Worthless article 2
News Heisman Power Rankings: Who Are the Early Favor... (Jul '10) Aug '10 BigDan 27
News History says OSU fans should temper expectations (Jan '10) Jan '10 Florida Engineer 12
More from around the web