Small talk draws big reaction | Bucke...

Small talk draws big reaction | BuckeyeXtra

There are 174 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 27, 2011, titled Small talk draws big reaction | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Ray Small played for the Buckeyes from 2006 to '09. The day after former Ohio State receiver Ray Small said he and "everybody" on the team sold memorabilia and got discounts on cars while playing football, many of his former teammates responded vehemently.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“The One, The True”

Since: Dec 09

Creation

#1 May 27, 2011
Small is a punk but that doesn't mean he's dishonest and in this case there is proof that Ohio State had a significant number of players going to Rife and/or securing special deals on cars.

Hartline and Brewster are wrong to make this about Small. If he's a gutless coward then what is Tressel? What are the rest of the players caught up in this?

I thought Small let the University off the hook, he said he was aware of the rules and ignored them. That means OSU Compliance was doing its job, right?

By remaining silent about the players who were going to Rife, Brewester is just as gutless as Small? Why didn't he go to compliance? If you care about the program you'd rather see a guy in trouble with the Compliance office than wait for the whole program to be dragged through the mud.
Buckfan69

Carmel, IN

#2 May 27, 2011
I'm not a Buckeye apologist; unless there is some huge mitigating circumstance in Tressel's lying and coverup of the violations he needs to go. But Small was and is the epitome of the kind of person that puts the stink in college athletics. He was a problem from Day 1, essentially left in disgrace, and now wants to validate himself and get a little revenge at the same time against his coach, his teammates, and the university. Small is a little man and I hope he enjoys his time on various practice squads until he moves back into oblivion.
Michael Scott

Columbus, OH

#3 May 27, 2011
Enjoy the summer, Buckeye Nation. Expect stuff like this over and over and over again.

Sports Illustrated next week should provide more fun!

In Tressel we Trust, right?
Johnny

Perrysburg, OH

#4 May 27, 2011
Someone from Y'town needs to "talk" to Small.
renold

Fort Myers, FL

#5 May 27, 2011
"Not part of the brotherhood"-what a horrible university environment-please tell the current players to just shut up
Robert Wolter

Tiverton, RI

#6 May 27, 2011
What monsters we have created. If you enter the competition to see how many "free lunches" you can give someone, then they think all of life is a " free lunch" and that is what they expect of life. Its about time that someone takes a deep breath, looks carefully at where we are and makes some drastic changes. Surely a step back in the crazed search for new talent and most likely a lesser emphasis on who the competition is. How about excellant atheletes with very high academic talent having fun playing a game. Maybe they will respect the traditions of the school and the sport.

Wolter
Stuck in the Stone Age

Atlanta, GA

#7 May 27, 2011
Johnny wrote:
So, are you suggesting someone threaten or worse Ray Small? The Youngstown Mafia cannot help Tressel anymore at this point, sorry. He's finished in Columbus and as a football coach of any standing. Eventually your ways catch up to you, whether while you are mortal upon this earth or after one dies.
Lost nut in Michigan

East Lansing, MI

#8 May 27, 2011
Entitelments, choices, and consquences. This program and this country are a mess.

Hard to be proud of either of them.

Has anyone else noticed the common denominator in unnaccountible people.
Same as it ever was

Fort Myers, FL

#9 May 27, 2011
Small has been, is, and always will be a spiteful idiot. This forever kid was just grinding an ax.
renold

Fort Myers, FL

#10 May 27, 2011
Same as it ever was wrote:
Small has been, is, and always will be a spiteful idiot. This forever kid was just grinding an ax.
Or maybe, just telling the truth
Jack Tatums Ol Grandpa

New Albany, OH

#11 May 27, 2011
Bla bla bla- you Tressel haters are a bunch of whining losers. Read what the article says: Malcolm Jenkins said Tressel talked about the rules all the time. Brewster was right on because we all know Small is just taking this opportunity to get back at the coach. You losers are going to have to face the fact that Tressel will return next season as head coach and guess what- the program will go on. Get a life or I'll bring my grandson back to whoop your a**.
Anonymous

Elburn, IL

#12 May 27, 2011
Johnny wrote:
Maybe he car needs a tune up?
Same story

Columbus, OH

#13 May 27, 2011
I took the time to read each quote carefully....Small...is now wishing he could take back his words....Jenkins mentioning that Tressel always telling players to do the right thing....Jenkins mentioning that he may have had a different experience...Other angry and saying that he lied....The Chekwa quote was also interesting...people as other people where the best deals are...I do that all the time...I assume that Maxton was making money....and making people feel like they got the best deal in the world. I assume the dealership was trying to make money off these guys and had a business plan to accomplish that. So were still back in the same place...A few players who ignored the rule...a football coach that covered for them and a punishment that needs to be decided by the NCAA...
ANMD

Saginaw, MI

#14 May 27, 2011
The NCAA and Big Ten are willing accomplises to what went on in Columbus. No one outside Columbus was shocked that Sweatervest was dirty. We were just shocked the NCAA would begin to address these issues. Once USC fell, OSU, UF were no longer untouchable.
The shame of the matter is that the NCAA, Big Ten and SEC look to be accomplises in these matters, particulary in the way they handle the bowl games. All parties agreed to let ineligible players compete due to the money involved. USC recieved a very minor slap considering all that went on. OSU knowingly allowed alot of violations to go on, similar to standard practice in the SEC. However the majority of the Big Ten does not opperate in this fashion making OSU look even worse. The NCAA will now regretably make a major statement with OSU.
With the small but very vocal group of crazed idiot fans, I hope Smalls will be alloted security.
cinsgt

Cincinnati, OH

#15 May 27, 2011
he is currently an OSU student? and he admits to violating NCAA rules---expell him along with the others
Blue

Columbus, OH

#16 May 27, 2011
LOL!!!!!!!!!! This suckeye story gets better every week! What a complete debacle of a program! LOL!!!!!!!!
RunninOnEmpty

Toledo, OH

#17 May 27, 2011
Same as it ever was wrote:
And OSU recruited him.
Dan

Alexandria, VA

#19 May 27, 2011
The GOD wrote:
Small is a punk but that doesn't mean he's dishonest and in this case there is proof that Ohio State had a significant number of players going to Rife and/or securing special deals on cars.
Hartline and Brewster are wrong to make this about Small. If he's a gutless coward then what is Tressel? What are the rest of the players caught up in this?
I thought Small let the University off the hook, he said he was aware of the rules and ignored them. That means OSU Compliance was doing its job, right?
By remaining silent about the players who were going to Rife, Brewester is just as gutless as Small? Why didn't he go to compliance? If you care about the program you'd rather see a guy in trouble with the Compliance office than wait for the whole program to be dragged through the mud.
You sound naive! How many kids in high school knew their friend cheated on a test and actually told the teacher "to do the right thing and save the program"...NONE! In the ends these are college kids who made mistakes. I agree with you, I don't think Small realizes how his petty ax to grind with Tressel made him look worse but that proves he is an idiot. "Everybody did it" is an ESPN tainted draft hopeful excuse and any intelligent reader knew Smalls sounded like a spoiled angry jealous "kid!" Tressel will be back because too many people have verified he tried to keep his arrogant "stars" on a straight path without selling them down the drain (what parents do with their kids). Compliance did its job but now they need a class in containing tattooed egomaniacs!
JAXBUCK

Jacksonville, FL

#20 May 27, 2011
As a retired car dealership owner, I can assure you that dealers across the country enjoy the relationship with athletics and athletes at every level. There is always a competition and sometimes a bidding war to be selected to provide vehicles to the coaching staff,often thru the alumni Association,but by doing so the dealership often has the ability to be the dealership selected to supply other vehicles to the school and or organization,thus becoming the "recommended dealership" for employees and athletes. As a large buying group there may be special incentives and or discounts that are different than a single buyer may receive,but they are given to members of the group and not just to a single buyer much like those given to credit union members or union groups etc. I was involved as an owner at one of the dealerships mentioned in this story and I assure you,nothing illegal or unethical ever occured during my years of association there. Same goes for the dealerships I ran and owned in Florida where we dealt with athletes all the time. While there may be single case issues uncovered in this investigation I think the Dealerships are getting a bad rap in this situation and I am sure they will be exhonerated as the results of the investigations are known.It appears there are several who want to execute first and then investigate and secure the facts.
OneBadFireDawg

Columbus, OH

#21 May 27, 2011
If Ray Small decided to sell stuff and get deals from card dealerships, then that's on him. I have no doubt every single player that goes to OSU nears every single rule inside and out. Obviously we know what he thought of OSU to sell 4 rings.

Ray Small was a little punkass B@#th when he was at OSU. He tried to get by because Ginn Sr. said he was a better receiver then his own kid. He had the talent, but not the head. Skipped classes, didn't want to do the work. Spent more time in Tressel's doghouse than Tressel's dog. And he got his momma involved.

You're a bitter, bitter man Ray Small

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chimdi Chekwa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A tarnished legacy | BuckeyeXtra (May '11) Jun '11 Laughing Bear Fan 254
News 'Blogging the Buckeyes' | Ex-Buckeye Small stir... (May '11) May '11 jimmy agler 93
News 4 More Buckeyes Taken In Draft | WBNS-10TV, Cen... (May '11) May '11 LinBen61 3
News NFL Draft: Steelers select Heyward at No. 31 | ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 The Mayans were w... 4
News Howard hopes to be worth shouting about | Bucke... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Hilliard Buckeye 10
News Bob Hunter commentary: Rumblings ... the Clippe... (Mar '11) Mar '11 raybren 6
News NFL combine: Chekwa shows off his speed to scou... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Gator Garys Mom 16
More from around the web