College football notebook: Tennessee ...

College football notebook: Tennessee scrambling to find coach |...

There are 11 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 14, 2010, titled College football notebook: Tennessee scrambling to find coach |.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Disappointed Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton doesn't have any time to waste replacing Lane Kiffin, who resigned abruptly to coach at Southern California.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Billium1953

Middletown, OH

#1 Jan 14, 2010
I'm sure you are hurting my Tennessee brothers but you are so much better off not having that scumbag Lane Kiffin in your future. Unlike USC you are a legitimate college football team of good character. He would have brought more embarrassment and sanctions over the years. That is why it is good that he is going to USC – a school allowed by the NCAA to do whatever they want.
Ace

Astoria, NY

#2 Jan 14, 2010
I would be pissed if I were a Tennessee fan. Was there no buy out clause if Kiffin left?
Ace

Astoria, NY

#3 Jan 14, 2010
p..i...s..s...e...d
Buckeye in TN

Atlanta, GA

#4 Jan 14, 2010
Ace wrote:
I would be **** if I were a Tennessee fan. Was there no buy out clause if Kiffin left?
Yeah but it was only $800K, compare that to the reported $10 Mil that Notre Dame had to pay to get rid of Weiss. Being right outside Knoxville, it is a miserable time down here right now. We may get mad at JT for Tressel-ball sometimes, but he is a True Buckeye and we don't have to worry about him running off to another program.
Get Sober

Lebanon, TN

#5 Jan 14, 2010
Buckeye in TN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but it was only $800K, compare that to the reported $10 Mil that Notre Dame had to pay to get rid of Weiss. Being right outside Knoxville, it is a miserable time down here right now. We may get mad at JT for Tressel-ball sometimes, but he is a True Buckeye and we don't have to worry about him running off to another program.
I'm a Vol. We're getting what we deserve. Going back to Johnny Majors, UT had a coaching staff filled with loyal UT people. Mike Hamilton threw the dice, tossed all of the UT guys, and we lost. Ironic that a loyal UT guy like Kippy Brown is being asked to save the day. UT needs to hire David Cutcliffe, let him assemble some former UT guys, and stabilize the program.

This being a prudent move, you can bet Mike Hamilton isn't going to seriously consider it. Not sexy enough.:)
John Jordan

Dublin, OH

#6 Jan 14, 2010
I love seeing athletes stay in school to obtain their degree. Also, when a coach builds a recruiting class and athletes leave early for whatever reason, that is a gaping hole to fill. You can compare this to Tenn. coach leaving after only one season. It is horrible, no matter how you look at it. It is an injustice to not only the athlete but to their respective teams.
WestCoastDon

Costa Mesa, CA

#7 Jan 14, 2010
Having lived in so cal for 30 years following my graduation from The Ohio State University, I'm well qualified to comment on this subject.

Few remember that USC had a disastrous two decades in the 80s and 90s following their glory days of the 60s and 70s. Larry Smith, Paul Hackett et.al. led them to disastrous season after disastrous season. They even lost to Fresno State in a bowl game. Their alumni base was in open revolt.

In 2001, after all the good coaches turned them down, their ethically challenged AD Mike Garrett took a moon-shot gamble on Pete Carroll, a twice-failed NFL coach, that succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations. His 9 years will go down in history as the high water mark for their program.

As Pete got looser and looser with the controls, the program began to spiral out of control. Not Florida State (Bowden) or Oklahoma (Switzer) out-of-control, but the Bush, Leinart, McKnight accusations are real nonetheless. Pete couldn't be concerned with the renegade activities so they continued and grew.

The NCAA has been actively looking into USC athletics since 2006. They are guilty as hell. The b-ball coach resigned immediately due to the OJ Mayo scandal.(Remember OSU didn't even try for him even though he played some high school ball in Cincinnati). Two weeks ago sc self-imposed drastic sanctions on the b-ball program in an effort to curry favor with the NCAA in the hope they would go easy on the football program.

In my view, Pete is leaving town one step ahead of the NCAA lynch mob. Next month, sc will learn its fate from the NCAA. At stake is a national championship, PacTen championship and Bush's Heisman trophy. I hope they get the book thrown at them.

It's simply a perversion of collegiate athletics that sc has been allowed to get away with so much for so long. Ohio State would never allow this to happen. Sure there are a few incidents every year with some OSU players who make bad judgements--shoplifting, drunk driving, bar fights. Nothing however rises to the level of the systemic cheating at sc.

Get Sober--I know it looks tough today but you will smile when "Lane Violation" leads sc into more trouble. Get yourself a solid coach who's a Tennessee man and you'll be fine sooner rather than later.

Billium1953 is absolutely right with his comments.

Sorry for the long post but I had to get this off my chest.
Reese

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jan 14, 2010
Why not the Bowdens (Terry and Tommy) at Tenn? I know they are not Tenn alumni but, I have a feeling they could help put Tenn back in the SEC hunt quickly. Terry did a nice job at Auburn. I still can't figure out what happened there....
Get Sober

Lebanon, TN

#9 Jan 14, 2010
WestCoastDon wrote:
Having lived in so cal for 30 years following my graduation from The Ohio State University, I'm well qualified to comment on this subject.
Few remember that USC had a disastrous two decades in the 80s and 90s following their glory days of the 60s and 70s. Larry Smith, Paul Hackett et.al. led them to disastrous season after disastrous season. They even lost to Fresno State in a bowl game. Their alumni base was in open revolt.
In 2001, after all the good coaches turned them down, their ethically challenged AD Mike Garrett took a moon-shot gamble on Pete Carroll, a twice-failed NFL coach, that succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations. His 9 years will go down in history as the high water mark for their program.
As Pete got looser and looser with the controls, the program began to spiral out of control. Not Florida State (Bowden) or Oklahoma (Switzer) out-of-control, but the Bush, Leinart, McKnight accusations are real nonetheless. Pete couldn't be concerned with the renegade activities so they continued and grew.
The NCAA has been actively looking into USC athletics since 2006. They are guilty as hell. The b-ball coach resigned immediately due to the OJ Mayo scandal.(Remember OSU didn't even try for him even though he played some high school ball in Cincinnati). Two weeks ago sc self-imposed drastic sanctions on the b-ball program in an effort to curry favor with the NCAA in the hope they would go easy on the football program.
In my view, Pete is leaving town one step ahead of the NCAA lynch mob. Next month, sc will learn its fate from the NCAA. At stake is a national championship, PacTen championship and Bush's Heisman trophy. I hope they get the book thrown at them.
It's simply a perversion of collegiate athletics that sc has been allowed to get away with so much for so long. Ohio State would never allow this to happen. Sure there are a few incidents every year with some OSU players who make bad judgements--shoplifting, drunk driving, bar fights. Nothing however rises to the level of the systemic cheating at sc.
Get Sober--I know it looks tough today but you will smile when "Lane Violation" leads sc into more trouble. Get yourself a solid coach who's a Tennessee man and you'll be fine sooner rather than later.
Billium1953 is absolutely right with his comments.
Sorry for the long post but I had to get this off my chest.
Tennessee fired a loyal UT guy. I'm hoping the AD learned his lesson. The only way you get loyalty is thru personal ties to the university. Fulmer's top assistant, David Cutcliffe at Duke, is on the list. I'm hoping UT makes a solid hire, not a "sexy" one.
The fast one

United States

#10 Jan 15, 2010
Might as well get fulmer back hell they have to pay him 2 mil this year he could atleast be water boy, we need mike leach to turn it around
Get Sober

Lebanon, TN

#11 Jan 15, 2010
Vol Fans it looks like Derek Dooley. Like it or hate it, this is our guy. Let's all get behind and hope for the best. GO VOLS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Case Keenum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UH wants that Kevin Sumlin swag back: Firing go... Dec '14 Madd Dogg 1
News Recap: Houston vs. Atlanta (Aug '14) Aug '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News UTEP's Sun Bowl Turns 50 (Sep '13) Dec '13 Wrong Way Driver 5
News Raiders' Defensive End Houston a Disruptive Force (Nov '13) Nov '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 8
News Have We Seen the Last of Matt Schaub in Houston? (Oct '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 8
News UCLA has rare ranking in date with winless Houston (Sep '12) Sep '12 PEE PEE PETE 3
News Best yet to come for Briles, Baylor (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ken 1
More from around the web