Shannon Owens: Miami Hurricanes are right in not retiring Sean ...

Seminole senior Ray Armstrong wants to be the next Miami football player to wear No. Full Story
PkD

Orlando, FL

#1 Feb 13, 2009
Steve Spurrier agrees with you. When he became head coach at UF he un-retired his old number 11.
dji

Canada

#2 Feb 15, 2009
cmon, you retire a jersey, it's put on some kind of "Ring of Honor" in the stadium and thats how you remeber a player. Using your logic, if there is a more dominant player wearing no.26 everybody will forget about Taylor.
JAK

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Feb 15, 2009
First retire Ed Reed's. Then Bennie Blades'. THen we'll talk about Sean Taylor.
cane305

Coral Gables, FL

#4 Feb 15, 2009
If Shannon Owens knew much about Hurricane football he would know that we don't retire anyones number. It the U thinks you are worthy of that they put you in the ring of honor. If we retired jerseys or numbers there would be no number left for the future teams, just look at all the dominant players that have come out of Miami.
Ridiculous

United States

#5 Feb 15, 2009
The whole concept of retiring a number is silly.
metalhead48

United States

#6 Feb 15, 2009
when a number is retired isn't usaly posted in the stadium/arena where the athlete played/kind of hard to forget it if displayed like that. you retire numbers so people don't forget the best and future generations can find out about them if the want by asking why isn't anyone wearing this number?pity the guy who gets the number and doesn't come close to being the player taylor was.
pete

AOL

#7 Feb 16, 2009
I agree with your conclusion the number should not be retired. I think the selective use of it will be more productive when someone must earn it. To those referring to it as "silly" do keep in mind certain rituals and acknowledgement of prior performance exist in all sports.
canething

Fort Myers, FL

#8 Feb 16, 2009
I don't agree with shannon owens at all to say it's a nice way of forgetting someone. I want to no who want's to forget about him I sure don't. to retire his number in my mide would not only be a great sign of respect to taylor and his family. but what about all the people he played with. I would like to think that people like portis and moss would like to see his number retired. I know I would like to have my future kids ask who is taylor number 26? He was one of the best players to come out of miami at SAFETY. But if his number is not retired then he needs to be given a spot on the ring of Honor. I hope some people agree.
Jack in Homestead

United States

#9 Feb 17, 2009
If Shannon Owens knew much about Hurricane football he would know that we don't retire anyone's number.

Sadly.... that comment can directed at anybody who writes for the Sun-Sentinel and it would still be on the mark.

These guys are always " a day late and a dollar short". Come to think of it, they are fellow scribblers of that clone of Alvin the Chipmunk.....Mike Bianchi.

Sad Dog

United States

#10 Feb 17, 2009
My wife retired the number 69 years ago.
ChrisCane

Atlanta, GA

#11 Feb 20, 2009
cane305 wrote:
If Shannon Owens knew much about Hurricane football he would know that we don't retire anyones number. It the U thinks you are worthy of that they put you in the ring of honor. If we retired jerseys or numbers there would be no number left for the future teams, just look at all the dominant players that have come out of Miami.
Actually, that's not entirely true. There are four numbers that have been retired at UM, the numbers of the four players who were part of the inaugural class inducted into the Ring of Honor. Jim Dooley (40), Ted Hendricks (89), George Mira, Sr.(10), and Vinny Testaverde (14). These are the only four ever retired, and will always be the only four ever retired because if not, there wont be any numbers left to wear by the current players.
Gatoralum

Hollywood, FL

#12 Feb 20, 2009
cAnes and there fans are jokes
mike

Johnstown, OH

#13 Feb 20, 2009
canething wrote:
I don't agree with shannon owens at all to say it's a nice way of forgetting someone. I want to no who want's to forget about him I sure don't. to retire his number in my mide would not only be a great sign of respect to taylor and his family. but what about all the people he played with. I would like to think that people like portis and moss would like to see his number retired. I know I would like to have my future kids ask who is taylor number 26? He was one of the best players to come out of miami at SAFETY. But if his number is not retired then he needs to be given a spot on the ring of Honor. I hope some people agree.
Sean Taylor isn't just the greatest Miami safety but the greatest college saftey ever I mean he shut down the greatest college wide out Larry Fitzgereld and took the ball right out his hands how many safties can guard him let alone do that?He also played Owens and Moss well as well.I love Blades,Reed,Meriweather,and Phillips but lets get serious the only player ever better from Miami ever is Dan Morgan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anthony Reddick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
different kind of pro day at um (Feb '09) May '09 BIZZELL 3
NFL Draft is full of options at WR for Miami Do... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Syed Smith 2
'Canes struggle at end but make great strides (Dec '08) Jan '09 george 44 20
Season recap: Miami Hurricanes (7-6) (Dec '08) Dec '08 localsportsfan 3
Young 'Canes learning to lead (Nov '08) Dec '08 Dennis M Mccullough 7
A wreck at Tech (Nov '08) Nov '08 GATORALUM 155
'Canes learn lesson: Lose focus, you lose games (Nov '08) Nov '08 Lucchi-Cooper Cit... 16
•••
•••

Anthony Reddick People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••