Vikings finish frustrating season wit...

Vikings finish frustrating season with win over frustrated Orov...

There are 14 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Nov 8, 2008, titled Vikings finish frustrating season with win over frustrated Orov.... In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

The Eastern Athletic League's last-place team and penultimate team had finished playing Friday night at Asgard Yard and somebody had the nerve to talk about a Northern Section championship.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

Oroville

Oroville, CA

#1 Nov 8, 2008
Hey I just want to say that I see good things for the Tigers in the future. The coach is a good guy who is going to change the culture of undiscipliness thhat was there under the old coach. Oroville doesn't have the talent to compete yet. But if the coach keeps with the discipline and accountablity with the kids they will turn the corner. I hope that the community supports the teacher to keep the student in the classroom for him to cultivate that talent that walks around that campus. Steve hang in there you are going to get it done. And you are going to do it the right way like Mcnulty.
Oroville Blows

Chico, CA

#2 Nov 8, 2008
Oroville wrote:
Hey I just want to say that I see good things for the Tigers in the future. The coach is a good guy who is going to change the culture of undiscipliness thhat was there under the old coach. Oroville doesn't have the talent to compete yet. But if the coach keeps with the discipline and accountablity with the kids they will turn the corner. I hope that the community supports the teacher to keep the student in the classroom for him to cultivate that talent that walks around that campus. Steve hang in there you are going to get it done. And you are going to do it the right way like Mcnulty.
I can only see good things for Oroville if the play the pop warner teams to seek a victory. Oroville football is the worst. Year after year being blown out by the other teams. Scrap Harrison Stadium and scrap Oroville football.
Lame is the lamest

Oroville, CA

#3 Nov 8, 2008
Hey they had years of a coach that had no discipline. Look at Butte College's roster and look at how many starters are from Oroville High. It's not the players most of the time it was the coach!!! I know Steve and he will get it together. I'm saying this as a person who knows EAL football very well. I just hope he doesn't give up because of the poor academics in the school distict as a whole. Give Oroville a break and wish for the best for a good your coach.
Oroville Blows wrote:
<quoted text>I can only see good things for Oroville if the play the pop warner teams to seek a victory. Oroville football is the worst. Year after year being blown out by the other teams. Scrap Harrison Stadium and scrap Oroville football.
ingineer66

Menlo Park, CA

#4 Nov 8, 2008
At least Oroville will have a nice stadium to watch the teams play at. Maybe that will instill some pride in the kids to do better and get more fans in the seats to cheer them on. Pleasant Valley's stadium is a joke for a school their size.
player

Orland, CA

#5 Nov 8, 2008
And Chico High has NO stadium. Our classrooms are old portables that are falling apart. No one goes to the bathrooms here because they are so disgusting, and so many of our teachers are lucky that there is tenure. Our principal is like a scared puppy and won't stick his head in any issue. It's all hopeless for us and unfortunately, I have two more years. I just read an article about some states pushing for college to start at 16. That would be great for areas like Chico where the school system is so bad.
PV player

AOL

#6 Nov 8, 2008
That isn't Gran Riley on your front page photo.
It's Wes Christensen #9. And his name isn't Ryan Christensen.... it's Wes Christensen.
You should really proof read your copy before it goes to print. You might not care, but the players do.
I agree with the player from Chico High. Our school system is awful and our football programs are awful when you compare them to the Redding Football Programs which we both play against.
What an embarassment.
Oroville

Oroville, CA

#7 Nov 9, 2008
Yes the Chico Unified School District is a joke. The schools in Redding keep improving there programs with great venues to play games in. They have improved gyms, stadiums, and all other fields. While Chico Unified cuts stipens to coaches and contiues to have kids at PV get dressed outside. And have no stadiums or lockerooms. So we will continue to strugle to compete. DOn't look for a section title until we get on par with those that we compete with. THis includes Oroville.
PV player wrote:
That isn't Gran Riley on your front page photo.
It's Wes Christensen #9. And his name isn't Ryan Christensen.... it's Wes Christensen.
You should really proof read your copy before it goes to print. You might not care, but the players do.
I agree with the player from Chico High. Our school system is awful and our football programs are awful when you compare them to the Redding Football Programs which we both play against.
What an embarassment.
paradise

Chico, CA

#8 Nov 9, 2008
Wow, listen to these kids. Things need to change. It is not fair to our kids that they feel this way about High School. This should be a good experience for them. We have the same problem up here. Our bathrooms are a joke, our Principal does not even care about us. Our district is so poor yet they hire a Law Firm to do their dirty work. I did notice that the Redding teams had so much more. How is this? We are all California schools. Is it that our Distict are crooked.
CHS student

Orland, CA

#9 Nov 9, 2008
It's been that way for a long time in Chico. The worst part is how we have to hear from our administrators how wonderful it is. They know it's not true, but it's like the have to say it hoping that we buy their line of crap. When we're younger we don't know any better, but by the time we're in high school, we know our schools are horrible in comparison to other districts because we have compared when we go there. The only thing that will work in our district is a bulldozer.
Haster

Orland, CA

#10 Nov 9, 2008
Wouldn't it be great if this stuff could really be discussed at open meetings instead of the fluff that they do?
CHS Parent

Chico, CA

#11 Nov 9, 2008
A couple of years ago CHS was playing in Foothill and I was speaking with their Athletic Director. I mentioned I was impressed with their facilities and thought the McConnell Foundation must have helped out financially. He mentioned they didn't receive any money from that foundation. They proposed the project to the school board, were able to demonstrate the cost savings, multi-use aspect and the return on investment and the project was approved. How it was funded, I'm not certain, but it's built. Red Bluff is a small district and they have a nice stadium. I would imagine they have the same financial issues has CUSD. PV has the closest thing to a stadium but their bleachers need to be overhauled. University Stadium is embarrassing.
Haster

Orland, CA

#12 Nov 9, 2008
My daughter plays soccer and when we travel to other communities, not only are their fields first class, but so are the schools. Why is it that the schools you are talking about have nice facilities and they still have money. Only in Chico are our facilities run down AND we're broke! It is sad that we're not just talking about sports anymore. It's now classrooms, schools, crummy superintendents. The money is going somewhere but it's certainly not going to the kids or the facilities. Maybe the grand jury was right a few years ago about our district. Nothing seems to have changed.
teacher in CUSD

Orland, CA

#13 Nov 9, 2008
A lot of us don't "get it." It's not just the fields. The person is right above. Our classrooms are run down, we teach more students per period than anywhere else, and it's always dirty. Everything is so disorganized. Whatever can be done to find out how other districts do everything so much better would be appreciated.
CHS Parent

Chico, CA

#14 Nov 9, 2008
teacher in CUSD wrote:
A lot of us don't "get it." It's not just the fields. The person is right above. Our classrooms are run down, we teach more students per period than anywhere else, and it's always dirty. Everything is so disorganized. Whatever can be done to find out how other districts do everything so much better would be appreciated.
I believe CUSD has hired consultants to help with their budget issues, how about driving up to Redding and taking their administrators out to lunch and find out how they are improving facilities with the same ADA money and budget constraints. In the private sector this is called 'best practice'. Find out what the successful people are doing and do it. Yuba City recently updated their facilities as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andrew Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News KEISSER: Big Ten expansion: The more, the merrier (Dec '09) Dec '09 Vincent 7
News 5 Questions With TJ Moe (Nov '08) Nov '08 Tenisha 1
News DeDe Alpert Endorses Goldsmith for City Attorney (Sep '08) Sep '08 duh 1
More from around the web