Texas Tech fires football coach Leach

Texas Tech fires football coach Leach

There are 61 comments on the El Paso Times story from Dec 30, 2009, titled Texas Tech fires football coach Leach. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

In this Sept. 19, 2009, file photo, Texas Tech coach Mike Leach looks on during the first quarter of an NCAA college football game against Texas in Austin, Texas.Texas Tech has fired football coach Mike Leach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
outside the box

El Paso, TX

#1 Dec 30, 2009
Leach is an offensive football genius but he should have remembered he is just a coach at the end of the day. He is not the team doctor -- Tech has plenty. He is not the disciplinarian -- the players parents are.

You don't lock people, injured or not, in closets or dark rooms ever. And if you do -- be absolutely sure his dad is not a national college football commentator. As you can see that genius label applies only to football plays.
bullchit

El Paso, TX

#2 Dec 30, 2009
texas tech will go down hill after this. they will now go from being a very good college team to the bottom of the big 12. the james kid is a big wussy.
Dan_Henderson

United States

#3 Dec 30, 2009
what a sad day for TECH, rot in hell craig and adam james!.
Embarrassed Red Raider

United States

#4 Dec 30, 2009
The incident with the James kid was used by TTU as an excuse to fire Leach and avoid paying his bonus. This was a minor issue. Quietly reprimand your coach for his foolish action involving James, and allow him to prepare his team for a bowl game. TTU chose to allow this situation to publicly explode.

I'm a Tech grad, but I am embarassed by this university. I hope Leach sues them and recovers every penny of his contract.
PedroDeNegro

Santa Barbara, CA

#5 Dec 30, 2009
UTEP believes in 2nd chances (i.e. Mike Price)
Leach is proven, the program isbetter off with him than without him.
HIRE Mike Leach ASAP
LOL

AOL

#6 Dec 30, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA

a school that hired bob knight fires mike leach for cruelty?

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

SAND AGGIE AT IT'S BEST

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAAH
wandering in the darkness

El Paso, TX

#8 Dec 30, 2009
I have a feeling at the end of the day that Coach Leach gets paid the lionshare of his contract. He seems to be a bit of a jackass, but Adams James seems to be a bit of a pansy. It will be interesting to see which version of events most resembles the truth.
I'm curious what the line in Vegas was, and is now.
Aud

El Paso, TX

#9 Dec 30, 2009
This sad situation has one person to blame and that's Mike Leach.

If he thought the kid was a wimp, he should have kicked him off the team. Instead he verbally and physically abused a young man that was medically diagnosed with a concussion...and that is inexcusable any way you look at it.

When asked discretely by the player and his family for an apology, he told them to "f@$k off!" That was his second fatal error. This could have been kept out of the news with simple diplomacy.

Leach got what was coming to him and good for the administration at Texas Tech for a positive and decisive decision.
bullchit

El Paso, TX

#10 Dec 30, 2009
aud, you obviously never played the game. my daughter ghoes to tech and says everyone knows james is a wussy. texas tech will go down hill now. read other reports and look at what graham harrell said of adam james. he was a slacker. james wouldnt have finished 1 hour at bryant's juction boy's practices.
Outside the Box

Montgomery, AL

#12 Dec 30, 2009
Fire Price, bring in Leach... I'm sure Paul Foster could help pay his salary... talk about how fast he would help fill the Sun Bowl his first year...
OUCH

El Paso, TX

#13 Dec 30, 2009
This is going to get ugly. Lets see how this unfolds.
republican

United States

#14 Dec 30, 2009
Adam James is a pu ss y
Coach Danny

United States

#15 Dec 30, 2009
Don't let a weiner on the football team from the start and you won't have problems like this. The kid and his whining father both should be ashamed.
CRY ME A RIVER

United States

#16 Dec 30, 2009
outside the box wrote:
Leach is an offensive football genius but he should have remembered he is just a coach at the end of the day. He is not the team doctor -- Tech has plenty. He is not the disciplinarian -- the players parents are.
You don't lock people, injured or not, in closets or dark rooms ever. And if you do -- be absolutely sure his dad is not a national college football commentator. As you can see that genius label applies only to football plays.
WHAAAA...
CRY ME A RIVER

United States

#17 Dec 30, 2009
WHAAAA...
yeah

Brownsville, TX

#18 Dec 30, 2009
Aud wrote:
This sad situation has one person to blame and that's Mike Leach.
If he thought the kid was a wimp, he should have kicked him off the team. Instead he verbally and physically abused a young man that was medically diagnosed with a concussion...and that is inexcusable any way you look at it.
When asked discretely by the player and his family for an apology, he told them to "f@$k off!" That was his second fatal error. This could have been kept out of the news with simple diplomacy.
Leach got what was coming to him and good for the administration at Texas Tech for a positive and decisive decision.
and how do you know all this information? don't talk without facts fool
Dan_Henderson

United States

#19 Dec 30, 2009
Whenever those alumni dues come around for the next few years,they are going straight to the trashcan.
outside the box

El Paso, TX

#20 Dec 30, 2009
CRY ME A RIVER wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAAAA...
Good comeback. Actually, the only people concerned are those that had warm and fuzzy times during the years Leach had Tech respectable on the field. The fortitude of the particular player has nothing to do with this. I don't care if the player was Dick Butkus, you put injured players in the training room or out on the field with a red non-contact jersey. That's it.

If your worthwhile and self-esteem has anything to do with the future of Tech's football W/L record you probably are a sad soul -- or a booster. BTW, top recruits only go to Tech when Texas/Oklahoma turn them away so the damage done to this upcoming recruiting class is minimal at best.
Pedro De Negro

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Dec 30, 2009
Mike Price who?

Leach is a calling.....be pro-active for once UTEP
Aud

El Paso, TX

#22 Dec 30, 2009
yeah wrote:
<quoted text> and how do you know all this information? don't talk without facts fool
Yeah, all of this information is in the sports news outlets like ESPN, Fox, CBS, Sporting news, etc.

If you have a wimp on your team, the solution is to get him OFF the team, not abuse the kid by punishment, particularly when the doctor has determined he has a concussion. Just get rid of him. What purpose is served by the verbal and physical punishment?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adam James Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Famous sports broadcaster fired over anti-gay c... (Sep '13) Sep '13 jamba 1
News Craig James losing in the court of public opinion (Jan '12) Jan '12 ART DECO MAN 3
News ESPN football analyst Craig James runs for Senate (Dec '11) Dec '11 Chosen Traveler 3
News ESPN football analyst Craig James runs for Senate (Dec '11) Dec '11 OneRyder 1
News Mike Leach on Arizona job: 'It's an exciting po... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Mickey 1
News Sources: Leach meeting goes well (Dec '10) Dec '10 Charles Moser 1
News Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach sues ESPN an... (Nov '10) Dec '10 Sad Alum 78 4
More from around the web