Leach denies abusing Texas Tech playe...

Leach denies abusing Texas Tech player | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 6 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 2, 2010, titled Leach denies abusing Texas Tech player | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Fired Texas Tech coach Mike Leach said the father of the player he was accused of mistreating after a concussion meddled more than any parent he's ever come across.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Dannawally

Toledo, OH

#1 Jan 2, 2010
I tend to empathize with Mike Leach on this one. As a former coach I know how meddling some parents can be, especially influential parents that believe they can pressure you into playing their kid more. From what i know of Craig James, I wouldn't put it past him.
OSU84

Youngstown, OH

#2 Jan 3, 2010
Dannawally wrote:
I tend to empathize with Mike Leach on this one. As a former coach I know how meddling some parents can be, especially influential parents that believe they can pressure you into playing their kid more. From what i know of Craig James, I wouldn't put it past him.
Yea but this is big time CFB and he recruited the kid. He has a responsibility to protect that kid regardless of who or what the parent is doing. Punishing the kid because he can't practice, and then going on ESPN and calling the kid lazy among other things is very unprofessional. I think Leach has put himself in a pretty bad position and it will be very difficult for him to ever get a job anywhere close to what he had.
Ohio Lawyer

Columbus, OH

#3 Jan 3, 2010
If he really confined a kid in a dark room after a concussion, that's an obvious tort that could cost the university big time, and it could be a felony. I don't know the facts and neither does any poster, but defending that behavior is moronic. If Leach did it I'd can his butt so fast his head would spin. It's 2010, not 1950.
Irememberwhen

Mount Pleasant, MI

#4 Jan 3, 2010
I have experienced politics in coaching at the high school level. Can only imagine that it is 100 times greater at the college age. Meddling parents and administration that try to make them happy need to be kept in a cool dark room. Teaching and coaching are an art that only those who have tried them can appreciate.
Clem Sez

AOL

#5 Jan 3, 2010
James wasn't recruited he was inserted into the program by his Dad . Putting a lazy , malcontent adult into a dark room isn't abuse , it's ill advised , The Doc didn't refute the action he just said it wasn't the usual procedure ... Lots of folks covering there Ass .... Craig James meddled with the TT. football program thru administrators , The James young adult is Lazy , malcontent and vindictive because he did not get playing time . Coach Leach iniated an action not illegal , not usual but not abusive to deal with an adult player who was disrutive to the Coaches practice , insubordinate and non-suportive of the staff and his team-mates ... The young adult should have been dissmissed from the team but his fathers meddling and influence kept him on the team .
OSU84

Youngstown, OH

#6 Jan 4, 2010
Clem Sez wrote:
James wasn't recruited he was inserted into the program by his Dad . Putting a lazy , malcontent adult into a dark room isn't abuse , it's ill advised , The Doc didn't refute the action he just said it wasn't the usual procedure ... Lots of folks covering there ****.... Craig James meddled with the TT. football program thru administrators , The James young adult is Lazy , malcontent and vindictive because he did not get playing time . Coach Leach iniated an action not illegal , not usual but not abusive to deal with an adult player who was disrutive to the Coaches practice , insubordinate and non-suportive of the staff and his team-mates ... The young adult should have been dissmissed from the team but his fathers meddling and influence kept him on the team .
James was recruited clem. He was a 3 star tight end recruited by TT, Boston college, Wisconsin as well as many other lesser programs. He was picked to play in the US Army high school all american game. I dont care if his father meddled or not and I dont care if the kid was lazy or not. There are procedures to follow to deal with these issues. Leach did nothing right in this whole deal and he is solely responsible for the circus it created.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adam James Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Famous sports broadcaster fired over anti-gay c... (Sep '13) Sep '13 jamba 1
News Craig James losing in the court of public opinion (Jan '12) Jan '12 ART DECO MAN 3
News ESPN football analyst Craig James runs for Senate (Dec '11) Dec '11 Chosen Traveler 3
News ESPN football analyst Craig James runs for Senate (Dec '11) Dec '11 OneRyder 1
News Mike Leach on Arizona job: 'It's an exciting po... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Mickey 1
News Sources: Leach meeting goes well (Dec '10) Dec '10 Charles Moser 1
News Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach sues ESPN an... (Nov '10) Dec '10 Sad Alum 78 4
More from around the web