Wisconsin Badgers' Bo Ryan: Poor execution, officiating led to ...

University of Wisconsin basketball coach Bo Ryan isn't sure what caused his team to blow a 14-point lead against the University of Minnesota. Full Story
Bjack

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jan 19, 2009
I thought Ryan had more class than to blame the officials. His team completely fell apart and there were questionable calls each way. Ryan definitely made it clear that it was not HIS fault.
WildGuy

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jan 19, 2009
In a game that saw plenty of phantom calls go Wisconsin's way - like usual in the Kohl Center - I think any mention by Ryan of officiating is seriously laughable. Then again this is the guy who cameras showed crying and giving faces to the refs after seemingly every single call for 2 hours.
The Answer

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 19, 2009
WildGuy wrote:
In a game that saw plenty of phantom calls go Wisconsin's way - like usual in the Kohl Center - I think any mention by Ryan of officiating is seriously laughable. Then again this is the guy who cameras showed crying and giving faces to the refs after seemingly every single call for 2 hours.
Did you watch the game? I'm a Gopher fan and thought the calls down the stretch were very one-sided, which I liked.
Brett

San Francisco, CA

#4 Jan 19, 2009
The calls were very onesided toward Wisconsin down the streth.... the Carter block may have been a goaltend but Damian Johnson had two clear blocks called fouls.
DD Austin

United States

#5 Jan 19, 2009
What a whiner! I'm sure he never once objected about the officiating in all the games they have won over the Gophers. They lose once, and he starts crying and whining. I used to respect him, but he's losing ground in my book. Be a good example to your athletes, Bo. Shut up and congratulate the Gophers for a good game and a good win in cheesehead country and move on.
George Washington

Okeechobee, FL

#6 Jan 20, 2009
Whine whine whine
Joe

Ely, MN

#7 Jan 20, 2009
Bo "Whiner" Ryan how can a guy after coaching all these years watch his team blow a 14 point lead then blame it on the officiating. If you just watched his body language he complains on every call that doesn't go the Badgers way. Stand up and take responsibility for not reacting to the defensive switch your team just plain did not handle no matter how much you practiced against it. Its about time you didn't get every call down the stretch at the Kohl like you are acustomed to. The officiating was fairly balanced from what I saw. Sour grapes "Whiner".
WildGuy

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jan 20, 2009
The Answer wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you watch the game? I'm a Gopher fan and thought the calls down the stretch were very one-sided, which I liked.
Indeed I watched the whole thing. He has nothing to complain about. Every sporting event can have officials' calls picked apart....but my point was that there were numerous calls throughout that game that went Wisconsin's way in the 2nd half, and Bo Ryan is simply used to getting EVERY advantage at home. And when that does not happen well then you get comments like this...

Props to MN.
Gopherfan

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jan 20, 2009
Nice win for the gophers but Bo does have a point, we got some breaks and they did miss a few calls which helped our comeback. But I'll take em. I expect Wisconsin to get a few breaks when they come to the Barn.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Badgers came in here and beat us. Lets hope we look a little better than we did on Sunday.

GO GOPHERS!
NYCMINNY

Union, NJ

#10 Jan 21, 2009
typical Wisconsin...blame the officials, EVERY team in the BigTen has been a victim of bad calls, fact is there arent enough bad calls to excuse a 14 pt comeback late in the second half, ya got whipped
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#11 Jan 21, 2009
"Waaaaahhhh!"
highland guy

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 21, 2009
Does Ryan actually believe he can reproduce the Gophers full court pressure with his "athletes" - all 6-10 gomers.

When WI saw the real thing, they coughed it up.
Big Ten Basketball

Plymouth, MN

#13 Mar 5, 2009
Their are always certain teams and coaches that are favored by the refs an Tubby Smith has always been one of them. This certainly hasn't changed for Tubby when he came to the Big Ten. For a second game in a row, poor officiating has cost the Badger's a win against Minnesota. In last night's game, even the announcers made several comments about how the Badger's coach BO Ryan had a a right to be upset with the "no-calls," and one sided officiating! Although, the Badgers have had problems with late game execution and their ability to hold a lead, the officiating once again played a major factor in their loss to Minnesota. Badger fans should be writing letters to the Big Ten!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trevon Hughes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cornell gives Badgers an Ivy League education i... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Ted - Katy Texas 5
Taylor, Leuer score 20 each to lead No. 15 Badg... (Mar '10) Mar '10 PAPA JAY 1
No. 18 Wisconsin beats Michigan 54-48 (Jan '10) Jan '10 Changed name 1
Wisconsin Badgers basketball player Jon Leuer b... (Jan '10) Jan '10 lenny 1
Badgered Buckeyes lose eighth straight at Wisco... (Dec '09) Jan '10 Ted 25
Wisconsin Badgers: Wisconsin tops Ohio State, 6... (Dec '09) Dec '09 TERRRY VANPATTEN 1
Gophers women win by 40 in nonconference finale (Dec '09) Dec '09 Peter Stanton 1
More from around the web