No. 2 UConn Survives A Mighty Scare

No. 2 UConn Survives A Mighty Scare

There are 21 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 4, 2008, titled No. 2 UConn Survives A Mighty Scare. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

With UConn finally feeling comfortable, and on the verge of finally pulling away from upstart Buffalo Thursday night, Hasheem Thabeet got the ball in the post and threw down a one-handed dunk while fouled by ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim

Hartford, CT

#1 Dec 4, 2008
yikes! that's all i can say
huskies09

Medford, NY

#2 Dec 4, 2008
wow can buffalo play any dirtier? maybe if the refs allowed it.. uconn played poorly but will learn
3rd World Man

Manchester, CT

#4 Dec 4, 2008
A win is a win -- even the national championship teams had scares like this, and I sorta figured their first road game, against a halfway decent team, would go like this. Coach Calhoun anticipated a fight too. Funny how things like this happen in Buffalo -- UB did the same thing with No. 2 Pitt a couple years ago, taking them down to the wire before losing by a whisker. Ugly, ugly, ugly, but at least they pulled it out in the end. The women received a similar scare from a similarly mediocre team (Georgia Tech) -- at home -- and they pulled it out, and no one is discounting their chances. A week and a half off to focus on finals and focus away from b-ball will do them good right now. Not pretty, but a win is a win.
Jared

Crystal Springs, FL

#5 Dec 4, 2008
It's nice to see that the Huskies can play sloppy basketball, and still win on the road. However, they shouldn't make it too much of a trend. I'm sure JC will be all over his guards during the next practice. I'm a bit worried about the play of AJ Price. In order for them to live up to their number two ranking, they will need much, MUCH more aggressive play out of him. Unfortunately, they haven't gotten it yet this year.
JJL

Philippines

#6 Dec 4, 2008
Hate to but have to agree with the nosy ACC guy.
Maybe AJ and Dyson are overrated. Austrie saved the game . Without HT this is a mediocre/poor team.
I'll be happy to eat some crow.
huskies09

Medford, NY

#7 Dec 4, 2008
Triangle Hoop RULES wrote:
HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA- HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA- HA-HA-HA…..UCONNVICT BARELY BEATS BUFFALO????
Warden Calhoun really needs to crackdown on his inmates!! Perhaps “NO weed on the day of, or before, a game.”
This joke of a coach and program create the softest possible schedule allowed under Division I regulations…and STILL struggle to win.
These clowns will lose by double-digits to Gonzaga.
All this while Duke and UNC continue to win games against at least a FEW formidable opponents (Michigan, Purdue, Southern Illinois for Duke… Penn, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Michigan State for Chapel Hill).
ACC basketball is far and away the BEST league in the nation….see y’all in March!!
hasnt UNC and Duke both played a bunch of cupcakes where URI almost beat Duke just like Buffalo almost beat Uconn, not to mention that game was at camerion, ur an idiot keith
twomiler

Southington, CT

#8 Dec 4, 2008
Okay, So UConn had a downer of a game but still won. Doesn't that say something? At times they were a step late on defense and forced passes and penetration on offense. So they went inside and Thabeet and Adrien combined for 39 points which Buffalo couldn't deny. It was the only way UConn could win the game. And they did. To say the ACC is a better onference than the Big East based on this game defies common sense.
huskies09

Medford, NY

#9 Dec 4, 2008
lol this is hilarious people on these boards are clueless, Uconn has one bad game and now Price who was all american last year comming off An ACL tear and Dyson who has one bad game especially when he didnt have a chance to shoot earlier in the day are now considered overrated? lol Jesus, i feel dumber for being on these boards
3rd World Man

Manchester, CT

#10 Dec 4, 2008
HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA- HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA- HA-HA-HA…..UCONNVICT BARELY BEATS BUFFALO????
Warden Calhoun really needs to crackdown on his inmates!! Perhaps “NO weed on the day of, or before, a game.”
This joke of a coach and program create the softest possible schedule allowed under Division I regulations…and STILL struggle to win.
These clowns will lose by double-digits to Gonzaga.
All this while Duke and UNC continue to win games against at least a FEW formidable opponents (Michigan, Purdue, Southern Illinois for Duke… Penn, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Michigan State for Chapel Hill).
ACC basketball is far and away the BEST league in the nation….see y’all in March!!
Heyyyy, look! It's the NC State fan troll! Doesn't mention the team he roots for in this post either! NC State, everyone -- they who schedule teams like New Orleans (2-4, lost to Savannah State by 10 -- and NC State beats them by 6!), High Point, Winthrop (1-6 this year), NC Greensboro, Winston-Salem State, East Carolina, Lipscomb, Loyola-Maryland, Towson, and North Carolina Central! He's an NC STATE FAN! Not for Duke or Carolina, an NC STATE FAN! If you can drag out Michigan, Southern Illinois (halfway decent? 2-3 with a 7-point win over mighty UMass?), UPenn (seriously? Penn is a decent win? They're 1-5 with losses to Albany and Drexel, and UPenn is a decent win?), and Kentucky (decent I'll give you, but that's all -- remember, they lost to VMI) for these two teams, I can drag out Miami and Wisconsin, too -- solid, not great, but very good. Funny how YOU didn't mention how Duke (of whom you're not a fan, remember, you're an NC STATE FAN) beat a so-so Rhode Island team (6-2, lost to the only good teams they've played) by 3 at home. You are nothing but an ACC homer troll. Did you actually type those 23 HAs, or did you cut and paste? I have a hard time seeing how UNC is going to lose more than two games this year myself, and UConn fans are certainly not pretending that they are any better than UNC, but you are not a fan of UNC, so you have zero room to talk, since you are an NC STATE FAN. Your logic is defeated so easily that I don't know why I'm not just letting it speak for itself. So long, troll! Better yet, keep going! You're entertaining everyone!(Penn? A decent win? Seriously?)
Benefete

Lehigh Acres, FL

#11 Dec 4, 2008
How they got a 2 is beyond reason, I don't think they're 22. Buffalo is 137 Sagarin and without Thabeet Uconn is about that. They'd be better if Edwards played more for the turnover Adrien. Price does not look like he did last year.
Triangle Hoop RULES

Torrington, CT

#12 Dec 4, 2008
The most 'entertaining' aspect of this is how you phony fair-weather UConnvict fans get sooooo hostile when your program is exposed as the filthy, corrupt, criminal mockery that it is. Yes, I happen to root for the NC State Wolfpack, but mostly because of the consulting work I've done for one their local charitable-giving organizations in Raleigh. But because my law degree is from Duke and I have many dear friends who are alums of Chapel Hill, I respect and support those programs as well. You have to understand, we in the Triangle understand that despite the rivalries among ourselves, we together form a college basketball Mecca that is unrivaled ANYWHERE. We love to hate one another once the opening tip goes up...but we also love to watch as programs like UConnvict stoop to despicable levels of corruption just to be mentioned in the same breath as our fine programs.

During my stay here in your wonderful (but COLD and GLOOMY!) state, I have met so many great, knowledgeable fans who lament the shame that Calhoun has brought upon your state university and thus the state itself. YOU, on the other hand, choose to DEFEND this travesty. Have it your way...when the NCAA comes-a-calling and FINALLY levies the sanctions Calhoun deserves, don't say you didn't implicitly co-sign on the corruption.

Don't worry, my good friend, my work in New Haven will be wrapping up by January and I'll be returning to North Carolina. In the meantime though, I can't really help but "troll" on your local paper's website. Cut me some slack, will ya, I'm sitting in a Four Points hotel...in the middle of a strange state...it's COLD out...the Hurricanes game is over (you remember the Whalers, right?)...I'm about to go to sleep...AND I've evidently touched a nerve with YOU!! Why NOT bust your chops for a minute???

Sweet dreams....and good luck in the N.I.T.
Fan in SD

Mount Laguna, CA

#13 Dec 4, 2008
I love how whenever UConn loses or has a poor game the haters come out of the woodwork and spew their nonsense. On one hand, i feel bad for you since you get off by deriding the accomplishments of others. But then on the other hand, keep it up...your tiny basketball IQ's keep the board interesting.
Triangle Hoop RULES

Torrington, CT

#14 Dec 4, 2008
3rd World Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Heyyyy, look! It's the NC State fan troll! Doesn't mention the team he roots for in this post either! NC State, everyone -- they who schedule teams like New Orleans (2-4, lost to Savannah State by 10 -- and NC State beats them by 6!), High Point, Winthrop (1-6 this year), NC Greensboro, Winston-Salem State, East Carolina, Lipscomb, Loyola-Maryland, Towson, and North Carolina Central! He's an NC STATE FAN! Not for Duke or Carolina, an NC STATE FAN! If you can drag out Michigan, Southern Illinois (halfway decent? 2-3 with a 7-point win over mighty UMass?), UPenn (seriously? Penn is a decent win? They're 1-5 with losses to Albany and Drexel, and UPenn is a decent win?), and Kentucky (decent I'll give you, but that's all -- remember, they lost to VMI) for these two teams, I can drag out Miami and Wisconsin, too -- solid, not great, but very good. Funny how YOU didn't mention how Duke (of whom you're not a fan, remember, you're an NC STATE FAN) beat a so-so Rhode Island team (6-2, lost to the only good teams they've played) by 3 at home. You are nothing but an ACC homer troll. Did you actually type those 23 HAs, or did you cut and paste? I have a hard time seeing how UNC is going to lose more than two games this year myself, and UConn fans are certainly not pretending that they are any better than UNC, but you are not a fan of UNC, so you have zero room to talk, since you are an NC STATE FAN. Your logic is defeated so easily that I don't know why I'm not just letting it speak for itself. So long, troll! Better yet, keep going! You're entertaining everyone!(Penn? A decent win? Seriously?)
I apologize for the duplication, folks, but I just wanted my buddy to realize I was replying to HIM....

The most 'entertaining' aspect of this is how you phony fair-weather UConnvict fans get sooooo hostile when your program is exposed as the filthy, corrupt, criminal mockery that it is. Yes, I happen to root for the NC State Wolfpack, but mostly because of the consulting work I've done for one their local charitable-giving organizations in Raleigh. But because my law degree is from Duke and I have many dear friends who are alums of Chapel Hill, I respect and support those programs as well. You have to understand, we in the Triangle understand that despite the rivalries among ourselves, we together form a college basketball Mecca that is unrivaled ANYWHERE. We love to hate one another once the opening tip goes up...but we also love to watch as programs like UConnvict stoop to despicable levels of corruption just to be mentioned in the same breath as our fine programs.

During my stay here in your wonderful (but COLD and GLOOMY!) state, I have met so many great, knowledgeable fans who lament the shame that Calhoun has brought upon your state university and thus the state itself. YOU, on the other hand, choose to DEFEND this travesty. Have it your way...when the NCAA comes-a-calling and FINALLY levies the sanctions Calhoun deserves, don't say you didn't implicitly co-sign on the corruption.

Don't worry, my good friend, my work in New Haven will be wrapping up by January and I'll be returning to North Carolina. In the meantime though, I can't really help but "troll" on your local paper's website. Cut me some slack, will ya, I'm sitting in a Four Points hotel...in the middle of a strange state...it's COLD out...the Hurricanes game is over (you remember the Whalers, right?)...I'm about to go to sleep...AND I've evidently touched a nerve with YOU!! Why NOT bust your chops for a minute???

Triangle Hoop RULES

Torrington, CT

#15 Dec 4, 2008
3rd World Man wrote:
<quoted text>

mgz

Malvern, PA

#16 Dec 4, 2008
Fan in SD wrote:
I love how whenever UConn loses or has a poor game the haters come out of the woodwork and spew their nonsense. On one hand, i feel bad for you since you get off by deriding the accomplishments of others. But then on the other hand, keep it up...your tiny basketball IQ's keep the board interesting.
pretty much.
then when Uconn knocks off other top teams in the big east during the reg. season you can see the tumbleweeds blowing by .. haters just waiting to chime in to say "SEE! I told you! THEY'RE ALL CONVICTS! THEY'RE OVER-RATED!" just settle down beavis.
News Watcher

Harrisburg, PA

#17 Dec 4, 2008
this is nothing new - uconn always manages to mess up a high ranking in the polls, they have never had the discipline that top ranked UNC or Duke teams have had, for example.
3rd World Man

Manchester, CT

#18 Dec 5, 2008
Hahahahaha, no nerves were touched, I'm not so weak-willed as that. That was an entertaining "chop-busting" you put out on me. You didn't even have an answer for any of my logical explanations, which further proves your complete and utter lack of understanding, as well as your purpose in this forum. I love it. If that's all you can do, you must be desperate. As I said before, you're entertaining me and everyone else, keep going -- that's your purpose for me. I don't even need to give you the shovel. I've accomplished what I set out to accomplish. Hahahaha, keep going with the UConnvict spiel. Couldn't give less of a damn about the Whalers, by the way, what the hell POINT is there to a SPORT where you can just push people OUT of the WAY to get what you're going for? Hey LOOK, I can CAPITALIZE random WORDS to STRESS THEM for EFFECT.
3rd World Man

Manchester, CT

#19 Dec 5, 2008
<quoted text>
Sorry, folks, I'm reposting this just so this guy knows it's specifically addressed to him.

Hahahahaha, no nerves were touched, I'm not so weak-willed as that. That was an entertaining "chop-busting" you put out on me. You didn't even have an answer for any of my logical explanations, which further proves your complete and utter lack of understanding, as well as your purpose in this forum. I love it. If that's all you can do, you must be desperate. As I said before, you're entertaining me and everyone else, keep going -- that's your purpose for me. I don't even need to give you the shovel. I've accomplished what I set out to accomplish. Hahahaha, keep going with the UConnvict spiel. Couldn't give less of a damn about the Whalers, by the way, what the hell POINT is there to a SPORT where you can just push people OUT of the WAY to get what you're going for? Hey LOOK, I can CAPITALIZE random WORDS to STRESS THEM for EFFECT.
3rd World Man

Manchester, CT

#20 Dec 5, 2008
<quoted text>
FREDDYKOOL

Palm Coast, FL

#21 Dec 5, 2008
NEVER THE LESS, UCONN GETS ANOTHER "W"
PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AN SMOKE IT.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rodney Pierce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deep UB squad looks for return trip to MAC titl... (Dec '09) Dec '09 jimmy 1
News Final Classic title goes to Buffalo - Sports (Dec '08) Dec '08 Staci 1
News UB men beat UNC-Asheville (Dec '08) Dec '08 Dave 1
News UConn survives Buffalo, 68-64 (Dec '08) Dec '08 recon 6 2
News Tentative Price A Step Behind (Dec '08) Dec '08 PPPP 3
More from around the web