Another Downer For Kentucky

Another Downer For Kentucky

There are 9 comments on the WVNS-TV story from Mar 7, 2009, titled Another Downer For Kentucky. In it, WVNS-TV reports that:

Kentucky's streak of appearances in the NCAA Tournament is in jeopardy. Story by Steve McGehee Email Bio Other Stories by Steve McGehee For the 8th time in their last 11 games, Kentucky comes up short on the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WVNS-TV.

harold

Raleigh, IL

#1 Mar 7, 2009
This team is the least talented team for Ky. that I have ever seen! What kind of coach has the players just pass the ball outside the key until the shot clock runs out, repeatedly! It is time to suck it up and get rid of the coach and find some players with talent, and there are plenty out there.
devon

AOL

#2 Mar 7, 2009
harold wrote:
This team is the least talented team for Ky. that I have ever seen! What kind of coach has the players just pass the ball outside the key until the shot clock runs out, repeatedly! It is time to suck it up and get rid of the coach and find some players with talent, and there are plenty out there.
i think you missed it. this team is talented but does have a serious problem. it may not be a contender but this team had the talent to win a lot more than it has. that being said , what is the problem then ? the coach ! these kids have regressed not progressed.
Tina

Scottsburg, IN

#3 Mar 8, 2009
I agree that the talent is definitely there. I don't know if it is the coaching or the personalities of the players but they have def not clicked this year. I don't care one way or another about Gillespie. Kinda hope he goes.
devon

AOL

#4 Mar 8, 2009
Tina wrote:
I agree that the talent is definitely there. I don't know if it is the coaching or the personalities of the players but they have def not clicked this year. I don't care one way or another about Gillespie. Kinda hope he goes.
at one point , around the time they almost beat louisville , this team was clicking. they looked like they were improving each game . they started out in the SEC like they were going to run the table. then something happened. you could call it personalities not clicking. however , if that were the case , we wouldnt have seen improvement at all. a good coach makes adjustments before , during , and after each game. this team is a product of what adjustments have been made. doesnt look like much does it ? so , it is safe to say that coaching is a major part of the problem.
jdmcnabb

Chesterfield, MO

#5 Mar 9, 2009
The comments listed here are probably correct, now that being said, what coach in his right mind would want to coach a team that regardless what is said or done gets posted on these forums. Every cat fan in big blue nation knew at the beginning of the year that without more scoring from the players outside Meeks and Patterson this was going to be a very long year. Where were you all at when BG recruited Patterson, you remember the deal Tubby couldn't close, you were all talking of what a great coach Mitch had hired, wea re still one of 3 teams that hasn't missed the NCAAs in the past 17 years, the sun will still come up and we will still be Cat fans.
jdmcnabb

Chesterfield, MO

#6 Mar 9, 2009
Tina wrote:
I agree that the talent is definitely there. I don't know if it is the coaching or the personalities of the players but they have def not clicked this year. I don't care one way or another about Gillespie. Kinda hope he goes.
Wrong again, there is very limited talent on this team, there is some future talent here but the role players, Harris, Stevenson, Porter are talentless, people Rome wasnt built in a day
Princeismyhero

Bowling Green, KY

#7 Mar 13, 2009
devon wrote:
<quoted text>
at one point , around the time they almost beat louisville , this team was clicking. they looked like they were improving each game . they started out in the SEC like they were going to run the table. then something happened. you could call it personalities not clicking. however , if that were the case , we wouldnt have seen improvement at all. a good coach makes adjustments before , during , and after each game. this team is a product of what adjustments have been made. doesnt look like much does it ? so , it is safe to say that coaching is a major part of the problem.
What happened? The SEC woke up and realized Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson were Kentucky's only major weapons. Ole Miss was the first team to institute the "box and chaser" defense. That ended the Wildcat's 5-0 start. Chaser shuts down meeks and the box collapses on Patterson when he touches the ball. With no other real outside (or inside) scoring threat, there goes the UK offense. It was the players that made the difference this year, but it wasn't the UK players it was the SEC's other teams that shut the Wildcat offense down.
devon

AOL

#8 Mar 13, 2009
Princeismyhero wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened? The SEC woke up and realized Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson were Kentucky's only major weapons. Ole Miss was the first team to institute the "box and chaser" defense. That ended the Wildcat's 5-0 start. Chaser shuts down meeks and the box collapses on Patterson when he touches the ball. With no other real outside (or inside) scoring threat, there goes the UK offense. It was the players that made the difference this year, but it wasn't the UK players it was the SEC's other teams that shut the Wildcat offense down.
in the NBA , a coach is only as good as his players. in college basketball , the players are only as good as their coach. meeks and patterson aside , who is teaching the other potentially talented members of this UK team ?
devon

AOL

#9 Mar 13, 2009
jdmcnabb wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, there is very limited talent on this team, there is some future talent here but the role players, Harris, Stevenson, Porter are talentless, people Rome wasnt built in a day
yes this team is young. however , this UK team also has more talent on it then some UK teams of past. yet , those teams were able to accomplished more. wonder why ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ramon Harris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wildcats, Vandy geared for key matchup (Feb '10) Feb '10 GOUK 1
News Kentucky ready for key SEC matchup with Vanderbilt (Feb '10) Feb '10 Basketball Fan 1
News Wildcats ride Wall train to victory, beat UNC 6... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Randy 1
News Calipari upset with 'soft,' slow, sloppy Cats (Nov '09) Nov '09 Ann Glover 1
News Wall leads Wildcats to OT win (Nov '09) Nov '09 Ask 1
News What's So Great About the Kentucky Job? (Apr '09) Apr '09 devon 7
News Gillispie's blame game off the mark (Mar '09) Apr '09 devon 42
More from around the web