UCLA sophomore forward Gordon set to ...

UCLA sophomore forward Gordon set to transfer

There are 9 comments on the LA Daily News story from Dec 1, 2009, titled UCLA sophomore forward Gordon set to transfer. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

UCLA coach Ben Howland announced at his Tuesday news conference sophomore forward Drew Gordon, the team's third-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder, would be transferring at the end of the quarter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

The Dude

Van Nuys, CA

#1 Dec 2, 2009
Hopefully he will find a team and a system that lets his poor atitude, poor mid range shot, horrible defense, and non-existant work ethic thrive. The NBA loves guys who bail out in the middle of a season and then have all comments be handled by the parents. I am sure that Gordon will be one of those "what could have been" types, because he never will amount to anything.
Gayle Goodwrench

United States

#2 Dec 2, 2009
According to Howland, "Defense, whether its zone or man, is meant to be played with intensity."

How is offense meant to be played, Ben? You know, that half of the game that you either don't understand or totally ignore. Are you supposed to make nonthreatening passes around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down and then throw up a shot with no chance of success? That's one way to rest until you are back on defense.
rolando

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Dec 2, 2009
i think its not sow fair about him eaving the pprogram just like the he should think about it not only onces but three times because he know and i know their going to be a ggreat player with the bruins and in the future whw will be someone in life or better in the nba
University of CLAssless

New York, NY

#4 Dec 2, 2009
Looky here. All of you ucla people love throwing stones from your glass house. UCLA forward Nikola Dragovic was arrested and suspended for BEATING HIS GIRLFRIEND. Nice. That is golden. Its nice to call USC classless, but look here - those glass walls really shatter easy from those stone you throw.

Think of something cool to exlpain away this Thedude.
Hoops Fan

Makawao, HI

#5 Dec 2, 2009
Howland is a great coach but most great players dont want to play in a slow it down half court offense and Strong Defensive minded coach. They want a fast paced up and down the court game so they can show off their skills and get great numbers and make money in the NBA. Thats what great players want. Yes, Howland got great players but they were all gone way early
Bruinborn

West Covina, CA

#6 Dec 2, 2009
University of CLAssless wrote:
Looky here. All of you ucla people love throwing stones from your glass house. UCLA forward Nikola Dragovic was arrested and suspended for BEATING HIS GIRLFRIEND. Nice. That is golden. Its nice to call USC classless, but look here - those glass walls really shatter easy from those stone you throw.
Think of something cool to exlpain away this Thedude.
Reading your post is 10 seconds of my life I'll never get back. You're an idiot, and when you post next time, please try to make a point.
Johnny U

United States

#7 Dec 2, 2009
The team will rebound from Drew leaving. Seems he had problems taking orders from the coach.
mwgab

Van Nuys, CA

#8 Dec 2, 2009
How many NBA players have played for Howland in the past 5 years? I'm sure not too many players want to come to UCLA because they won't learn anything.

Since: Dec 09

Encinitas, CA

#9 Dec 3, 2009
Alice and that odd caterpillar had nothin' on the weirdness going on these days over in Westwood....

My friends, just when you thought a surreal, forgettable season in the storied history of UCLA basketball couldn't get any worse, our best center quits the team.

But I'm an eternal optimist. So (deep breath, holding the nose), here goes my most valiant attempt to slap some lipstick on this big fat pig: If Gordon is the prima dona he seems to be, then this is GOOD news for the program. I would rather finish 8-18 and sit out the NIT in a rebuilding year than have a .500 season filled with bad blood and dissension. Yeah, I know, like USC in football, UCLA basketball is not supposed to suffer "rebuilding years." But, here we are. Who knew we would lose Jrue Holiday and Russell Westbrook so early? If Sanchez had stuck around, do you think the Trojans would be 8-3? Look at the rankings of our BB recruiting classes the past few years:

2007 -#12 (only two players signed, but still finished high)
2008 -#1 (however, Gordon and Holiday are now both gone)
2009 -#9
2010 -#11 so far (with only two players signed, including Josh Smith, the #4 ranked center in the nation)

So with all these star recruits coming through the doors, why are we so stinkin' bad so far this season? I see three possibilities:

1. Ben Howland does not know how to take McDonald's All-Americans and mold them into a cohesive team (see embarrassing losses to Long Beach State, CS Fullerton, and Portland State). Past years and runs to the Final Four shoot down this theory, I think.

2. Many of the players we recruited were just way over-rated (i.e. Jerime Anderson, J'mison Morgan). Some truth here--at least so far.

3. Attritition to the NBA + injuries (Tyler Honeycutt, our best freshman, has yet to suit up)+ a green mix of young players + scant senior talent = attrocious growing pains for what will eventually become a good team--if not by the end of this season, then by next season.

It seems like forever since an NCAA Tournament bid wasn't a given. This year, it seems virtually impossible, the way this team is playing. But surprisingly, you don't have to go back that far to find a year when we didn't make it. In 2003 and 2004, we didn't go (Lavin's last year, and Howland's first). Prior to that, we made the tourney 13 years in a row.

So take heart, Bruin faithful, and have some patience. And hey, who knows, maybe we'll even get a bowl bid in football....I hear the Ronco "Clapper" Bowl in Lodi is looking for a team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Roll Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Real or Perceived: Alford's Recruiting Issues (Sep '13) Sep '13 Brew In 4
News Back to Point Guard U? Notes On UCLA Point Guards (Jul '10) Jul '10 Brew In 1
News UCLA forward Nelson to play in conference tourn... (Mar '10) Apr '10 Rob 40
News Just big-time: March Madness retakes its spot o... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Brew In 1
News PAINTER: It's different finishes for UCLA senio... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Brew In 9
News UCLA gets a Bear hug on its way out of Pac-10 T... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Adrian G 17
News UCLA applies full Nelson, Arizona submits (Mar '10) Mar '10 Robs_AngryGhost 1
More from around the web