Poor field-goal percentage dooms UCLA...

Poor field-goal percentage dooms UCLA in loss to USC

There are 45 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jan 16, 2010, titled Poor field-goal percentage dooms UCLA in loss to USC. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

How does a UCLA men's basketball team score only four points in nearly seven minutes? For the bumbling Bruins on Saturday at Pauley Pavilion, it was shockingly simple.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Seth

Märsta, Sweden

#1 Jan 17, 2010
Howland had never been good at coaching a half-court offense. It's time for him to get in a good assistant for that. But he has been great at teaching defense that creates a lot of opportunities for easy shots. Until now.

Some of the guys aren't athletic enough to stay with their man, and there's no shame in that, as long as they are trying. But I'm not seeing our guys hit the floor for loose balls. I'm not seeing the intensity that Howland's teams used to have.

Howland also has a strange substitution system that may have the benefit of keeping fresh players in the game but seems to have the drawback of keeping the offense out of rhythm. The system also has the drawback of requiring more good players than UCLA actually has. So, if the players aren't really good enough to play Howland-style defense, and there aren't enough of them, anyway, maybe they should conserve some energy and create more continuity for offense by playing more zone.

In short, it's really hard to argue that Howland is getting the most out of the talent that he actually has. The players may see that, which may partly account for their apparent lack of motivation.
Seth

Märsta, Sweden

#2 Jan 17, 2010
And, by the way, with an undersized center and a point guard who can't drive the lane, why on earth isn't UCLA running the UCLA High-Post Offense? I seriously want to know.
Jack

Simi Valley, CA

#3 Jan 17, 2010
Obviously this was a great win for the SC basketball program...but the thing that makes me cringe is the general attitude of a majority of the UCLA fan base when it comes to SC. Why are the UCLA fans constantly making excuses and whining whenever SC beats you...either in football, or in this case, basketball? We all know that UCLA is in a tough spot this year with so many players leaving early for the NBA...guess what, all elite programs have players leaving early for the NBA. This mindset came to fruition last night as I was listening to post-game Bruin talk. This idiot, David Vasay, who hosts the show tried to spin this ass kicking by stating, "UCLA is 1-1 against USC this week, because they kept Norm Chow." Really, nice spin. You get your tails kicked in at home by a school that has nothing to play for and thats the best you can come up with. Maybe we should call the Wambulance for Vasay. Last time I checked one of the blocks of John WOoden's Pyramid of Success stated, "Don't whine or make excuses." Maybe Vasay and a majority of the Bruin fans need to take a long hard look at that.
Trojsteve5

Anaheim, CA

#4 Jan 17, 2010
How sweet it is winning at Pauley by a big margin coupled with the men's volleyball victory there recently. This by a team who lost their entire top recruiting class plus three top flight starters who left school early. The 'ruins are downright pathetic this year!
Vernon Cook

Thousand Oaks, CA

#5 Jan 17, 2010
In the surprising absence of Jrue Holiday I prepared myself for a rebuilding season. I assumed the seniors Nikola Drajovic, James Keefe and Michael Roll would play very limited roles. Roll is unwilling or simply cannot assume leadership. That and an erratic shooting touch. I guess Nikola is beginning to finally deal with his off-court core character. All 3 seniors seem very tired. They should be honored with having the best seats in the pavilion. What remains is no point guard and no natural center, no consistent scorer and too many deer caught in the headlight moments. The 3 Bruins watching USC's Marcus Johnson get a rebound was one of those moments. The number of turn-over’s and missed free-throws suggests mental hesitancy, panic [by intimidation] and lack of preparation by the players. This level of play is moving much too fast for them. Probably time to turn in the X-box’s, delete the Facebook page, toss the cellular and sneak into the gym. On their own. Other teams you play are consistently noted as being more athletic. I am worried about J'mison Morgan. After his transfer to UCLA the coaching staff noted he needed to get in shape. I found that very odd. One and ½ seasons later, during a rigorous workout, he vomits. One and ½ seasons later and he still has very limited in-the-paint skills? No center’s coach? When he heals…let him play; I can handle it. Or simply tell me…just wait until his junior year…then you’ll see. I hope so. I do not know who is tortured more…the players or the fans.
falvidre

Lancaster, CA

#6 Jan 17, 2010
Just like football..... Just like football....
Suck it Bruins

Moorpark, CA

#7 Jan 17, 2010
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH...I'll bet the poster known as Manhattan Beach Surfer Dude is writing in agony about now over the clobbering his Bruins took from the Trojans. I love it!!!!
Adrian G

Redmond, WA

#8 Jan 17, 2010
Suck it Bruins wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH...I'll bet the poster known as Manhattan Beach Surfer Dude is writing in agony about now over the clobbering his Bruins took from the Trojans. I love it!!!!
AHAHAHAHA!! No postseason for your cheating ass program. I love that!!
Seth

Märsta, Sweden

#9 Jan 17, 2010
The great thing about this defeat is that we now know exactly how terrible we make the trOJans feel every year, year after year. And by the way, Suck It and trOJsteve5, it's a lot easer to win when you cheat like SC does.
MoronicRN

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Jan 18, 2010
The game was made only worse by Cach Neuheisel bragging about the American bowl win...who gives a sh1t about that fifth tier bowl!!
More action less talking coach!
El Patron

United States

#11 Jan 18, 2010
Sc fans can relish the win and they deserve it . We played crappy and the fact is we are not a good team this year. I guess I know now how those poor trjan fans have felt for the last 20 years. Congrats on the big win but do know you beat a inferior Bruin team and you will never overcome UCLA in the college basketball world. Trojansteve ,valverga, Sit B it's nice to know the annual whoopings have taken their toll.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#12 Jan 18, 2010
Adrian G wrote:
<quoted text>AHAHAHAHA!! No postseason for your cheating **** program. I love that!!
If that makes you feel better, Adrian, knock yourself out. Only a total loser would find comfort in that, after such an embarrassing loss.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#13 Jan 18, 2010
Jack wrote:
This idiot, David Vasay, who hosts the show tried to spin this **** kicking by stating, "UCLA is 1-1 against USC this week, because they kept Norm Chow." Really, nice spin. You get your tails kicked in at home by a school that has nothing to play for and thats the best you can come up with.
That's hilarious! Well, with that lame remark, he fits right in with most Bruin fans.(A few of the more level headed ones on here are excluded, of course.)
Adrian G

Redmond, WA

#14 Jan 18, 2010
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
If that makes you feel better, Adrian, knock yourself out. Only a total loser would find comfort in that, after such an embarrassing loss.
How could I not love that, I've been a UCLA fan for as long as I can remember. Don't tell me you would feel different if things were the other way around? Next up on sanctions, football!
Trojan

Downey, CA

#15 Jan 18, 2010
Adrian G wrote:
<quoted text>How could I not love that, I've been a UCLA fan for as long as I can remember. Don't tell me you would feel different if things were the other way around? Next up on sanctions, football!
Only a putz would "love that".

As for "if things were the only way around". You're wrong. I've never fallen back on that type of crying when the tables HAVE BEEN reversed, which they have!

But those short memories of yours find it convenient to forget. No worries.
Adrian G

Redmond, WA

#16 Jan 18, 2010
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a putz would "love that".
As for "if things were the only way around". You're wrong. I've never fallen back on that type of crying when the tables HAVE BEEN reversed, which they have!
But those short memories of yours find it convenient to forget. No worries.
No player ever received illegal money while being a student/athlete at UCLA ... Prove me wrong buddy.
Trojan

Downey, CA

#17 Jan 18, 2010
Adrian G wrote:
<quoted text> No player ever received illegal money while being a student/athlete at UCLA ... Prove me wrong buddy.
Goodness, it was only a few years ago those players were getting cars from the Chevy dealership that was owned by a Bruin (or fan thereof) at about 50% of bluebook! No different than receiving cash. As I said, how convenient it is for you to forget about these things.

It goes on virtually anywhere that has the resources. It's only a matter of to what extent it goes on.

It's unfortunate. Wish it didn't. There's always some fools who will think they won't get caught and even if they do, they'll probably be long gone from the school, by the time it's discovered AND INVESTIGATED.(Lord know the NCAA works about as fast as the DMV!)
ur dady

Pasadena, CA

#18 Jan 18, 2010
kudos to the usc basketball time, Iam a ucla fan, our guys did no seem to try to play hard to win. we'll do better I hope as the season keeps on.
ur dady

Pasadena, CA

#19 Jan 18, 2010
correction, team.
Adrian G

Redmond, WA

#20 Jan 18, 2010
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodness, it was only a few years ago those players were getting cars from the Chevy dealership that was owned by a Bruin (or fan thereof) at about 50% of bluebook! No different than receiving cash. As I said, how convenient it is for you to forget about these things.
It goes on virtually anywhere that has the resources. It's only a matter of to what extent it goes on.
It's unfortunate. Wish it didn't. There's always some fools who will think they won't get caught and even if they do, they'll probably be long gone from the school, by the time it's discovered AND INVESTIGATED.(Lord know the NCAA works about as fast as the DMV!)
Who is your resource for this accusation?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Roll Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Real or Perceived: Alford's Recruiting Issues (Sep '13) Sep '13 Brew In 4
News Back to Point Guard U? Notes On UCLA Point Guards (Jul '10) Jul '10 Brew In 1
News UCLA forward Nelson to play in conference tourn... (Mar '10) Apr '10 Rob 40
News Just big-time: March Madness retakes its spot o... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Brew In 1
News PAINTER: It's different finishes for UCLA senio... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Brew In 9
News UCLA gets a Bear hug on its way out of Pac-10 T... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Adrian G 17
News UCLA applies full Nelson, Arizona submits (Mar '10) Mar '10 Robs_AngryGhost 1
More from around the web