Take A Look At The Flip Side

Full story: Hartford Courant

He was the one whose left eye was swollen halfway shut. He was the one who looked as if he had gone a few rounds in the ring.
Comments
1 - 20 of 50 Comments Last updated Feb 19, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DOGMA

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Wow. Negative Jeff Jacobs missed the game as much as the refs missed the calls. Perhaps Jacobs just likes to stir the pot and irritate people? Perhaps that is hius sole functional purpose? The Williams sisters and Nadal suggest they can get by without you, as can we.
Biff

Hamden, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Is there a coach in all of America that is less gracious in defeat than Jim Calhoun?

Sure, blame the refs when a large reason he is 24-2 is because Thabeet gets away with the same stuff all season long. Ask any of the opposing coaches and they will tell you.

Here's hoping UConn wins another title this year so maybe this whiny, jerk of a coach will retire and we don't have to listen to his B.S. any more.
Ron

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Blair was a beast, but with Dyson the Huskies win this game. We're not going to win a championship without replacing his points and defense. Craig Austrie shooting 2 - 9 is not going to cut it. Neither is Sticks playing 35 minutes and taking 6 shots; the opponent doesn't have to pay much attention to him. (Huge free throw miss in the final two minutes that could have closed the gap to 3 or 2).
pnete

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Jacobs must be blind. Blair purposely grapped Thabeet's arm and tried to break his wrist while tossing him over his back, a move that would have lead to instant ejection and suspension in the NBA. Blair is not a man; he's a thug, out to permanently injure another kid for no reason other than he wanted to. Apparently, the glue and classless Mr Jacob's sees it otherwise. I think that is time the the university president of the Big East step up and stop this sort of thugery. The entire officating crew of the Big East league needs to be replaced. One never saw this sort of thugery when Wooden was winning ten in a row. Dyson's injury is directly related to the collision basketball that is the Big East. And Pitt,a Big East power based on poor refereing, will disappear in the NCAA, as usual, when it runs into real ref who actuallly will call fouls they see and not fouls they want to see. oululteaklnththat wer
Jamie P

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Pitt won the game. Period. But I was very impressed that our kids came back took that five point lead. They looked hungry, mobile, and cohesive while Hash rode the bench. JC is a good Xs and Os guy, but he's a better motivator. In all likelihood, to win the weekend in the Garden, we'll have to beat Pitt. So, if this loss helps JC build the kids for March, then it will have been a battle lost, but a war won.

As for JJ's article, it was completely fair.
djl

Winterthur, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

First, UConn lost this game because they were out-toughed and they didn't play defense in the last 2:30. Give up 3 straight 3 pointers at THAT time and you really can't expect to win.

That said ... what Blair did should have had him tossed from the game. If you missed him deliberately grabbing Thabeets arm and tossing him Karate style go back to your tivo and look at it again. The announcers saw it, hesitated and didn't follow up. I'd love to hear their comments because it was CLEAR from they're voices that they saw it.

Blair seems like a friendly guy with a nice smile and he plays sooooo tough but that play was intentional, no question about it. The refs then let him do his thing all night because heck, he'd already set the bar as to what was legal.
hoops

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Bob Knight on Mike&Mike said that Thabeet is young & should use this as a learning experience...Blair is what he can be with hard work Bobby said...also said that Pitt is the mentally toughest team in USA...as for refs he said that many are over 50 & doing more than 3 or more games a week...even the young guys playing don't do 3 games!...
mac kwiatkowski Poland

Szczecin, Poland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

4th "foul" on Thabeet could cost a game for UConn, but It was a great battle. DeJuan Blair was tremendous under the boards
Not the refs

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

For the season
UConn Free Throws/Attempts = 477/691
Opponents FT/Attempts = 208/300

Total PFs called against UConn = 321
Total PFs called against UConn opponents = 549

So for the season, the Huskies have shot more than twice the number from the charity stripe than their opponents.
The opponents get whistled for 1.7 times more fouls than UConn.
Stop blaming the refs, they have not been unkind to our squad this year.
Jacobs has this one right, Jim needs to quit crying and get his center to be tougher. NBA is grown man strong, Thabeet better get ready.
lenn

Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

The big boys from Pittsburgh beat up UCONN-pure and simple. Calhoun's press conference was embarrasing to watch. This man gets paid for speaking engagements? He needs a public speaking course!!
mclacasse

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

I agree that the defense down the strech folded, and blair manhandled the post players, and I believe there will be adjustments made and we will avenge this loss, pitts gaurds aren't that impressive we just lapsed so many times on defense it made them look better than they are as far as thabeet goes he never plays the good ones tough he has a ways to go but it's not going to be at this level because there is money to be made
local

Windsor Locks, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Thabeet is over rated. This became evident when he was up against a player as big but tougher than he.
He is a great shot blocker but that appears to be where it ends. Outside of the slam-dunk from directly under the hoop, he is not a scoring threat.
Blair schooled him yesterday and Calhoun could not muster a solution.
Rob

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Being out-rebounded + several BAD calls + The Beast (Blair)= a W for Pitt...It won't be easy from here to March Madness without Dyson...Let's learn,adjust,get up off the ground and move ahead...we may be stunned, but we are NOT out of the Big East or the "Big Picture"
Jim

Ellwood City, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Great article, I am from Pittsburgh and have all the respect in the world for Mr. Calhoun and the Huskies. I hope Pitt can accomplish what they have in the tournament. Thank you for an evenhanded analysis of the game
PittPaul

Lemoyne, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Great game! After all the phyisicality, a cloes game came down to shooting - Pitt made three 3 pointers in a row and made their foul shots coming down the stretch. Thabeet got a shot blocked that resulted in a fast break for Pitt that was a 4 point swing. UCONN, you have a great team. You'll see us twice more in the next 3 weeks. H2P!
Come on

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

pnete wrote:
Jacobs must be blind. Blair purposely grapped Thabeet's arm and tried to break his wrist while tossing him over his back, a move that would have lead to instant ejection and suspension in the NBA. Blair is not a man; he's a thug, out to permanently injure another kid for no reason other than he wanted to. Apparently, the glue and classless Mr Jacob's sees it otherwise. I think that is time the the university president of the Big East step up and stop this sort of thugery. The entire officating crew of the Big East league needs to be replaced. One never saw this sort of thugery when Wooden was winning ten in a row. Dyson's injury is directly related to the collision basketball that is the Big East. And Pitt,a Big East power based on poor refereing, will disappear in the NCAA, as usual, when it runs into real ref who actuallly will call fouls they see and not fouls they want to see. oululteaklnththat wer
You're way out of line. I was there and had seats right in line with that play. They got tangled up. Hash was all over him, it was his own fault he got body slammed.

Now, if you complained about Blair strolling across the lane several times and getting away with walks I'd agree. Nonetheless he played great and he's a classic big east big man.

Uconn got out-toughed but they did just lose one of thier toughest and their glue-guy in Jerome. They had Pitt in the bonus late in the first and nobody stepped up to take the ball to the hole and try and get some easy buckets or some of Pitt's big men in more foul trouble, I think Jerome would have been key in that aspect. Give them a few games to adjust to not having him and we'll see where they're at when they play Pitt again. I know I'm looking forward to it!
VOR

Peekskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

I hate whenever Jeff puts himself into his columns.'Wah,wah,wah, I'm afraid of Jim Calhoun - ugh.'

If you watched the game, which apparently Jeff didn't, you could see that Blair was lowering his shoulder and charging into Thabeet and it went uncalled. It was the same move he made on Adrien late in the second and it was called. It was the same move that Dyson did for two years and it was called everytime - and it should be. That said, you have to adjust to how the game is being called on any given night and UConn had a tough time doing that for most of the game.
Kudos to Pitt for win, but the officiating was definitely not the norm. That was Calhoun's point.

Blair's flip of Hasheem while holding his arm was thuggy move. I know our Pitt friends (and in state haters) won't like hearing that but it is what it is. He secured the ball in his left and grabbed Thabeet's arm with his right. That didn't cost UConn the game but it was a move that would have been worth an ejection and fine in the NBA.
Not Impressed

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

I'm a UConn guy, but you've gotta be realistic when you look at Hasheem. The kid still has a lot of work to do. He piles up numbers when his confidence is set early in a game. However, once someone takes it to him (which more teams really can/should do), he seems quick to fold. Skill-wise, he has a lot of work to do. Watch him handle a pass, or bring the ball down after a rebound or pass. There's a lack of coordination that is not surprising since the guy is still learning the game. He's not nearly as strong as a lot of the Big East's big men (Harongody, Blair) and it shows when they really take it to him. Even Hibbert last year really got the best of Thabeet from a physical and technical standpoint. And, unfortunately, I see a lot of Hibbert in Thabeet - big for the sake of being big. One advantage for Hasheem is that he is more athletic that Hibbert will ever be. That being said, he's a hard workink kid who has a long ways to go. I know deep down, Coach knows this. But, he needs his guys to be confident going forward, including Hasheem, so he has to build him up as much as everyone listening will believe. Part of Thabeet's game is pscychological. Will he lose some of that advantage after a game where he got handled? Maybe. Fortunately for UConn, there aren't too many teams with guys even close to HT's size, so the issue of toughness is less relavent. Still, with all of this said, UConn can still be a great team, they just need others to step up. What happened to Adrien last night? They should have had him on Blair on the defensive end. Offensively, he was more or less a non-factor last night. Strength and skill wise, he is a much better match up for any tough guys out there. Let Hasheem guard the lesser-skilled or softer big men so he can roam free down low and clean up defensively on the smaller guys who squeeze in down low.
Well, I guess this is a big of a ramble, but I still hope the Huskies can make us all proud, learn from their loss and show us what they can do in March.
Come on

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

When will Calhoun start sitting Hash for Gavin when he sees the game is going better without him????????
Kevin

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Couldn't agree more!!!
Biff wrote:
Is there a coach in all of America that is less gracious in defeat than Jim Calhoun?
Sure, blame the refs when a large reason he is 24-2 is because Thabeet gets away with the same stuff all season long. Ask any of the opposing coaches and they will tell you.
Here's hoping UConn wins another title this year so maybe this whiny, jerk of a coach will retire and we don't have to listen to his B.S. any more.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Levance Fields Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 Reasons Pitt Should Have Fired Jamie Dixon Af... (Mar '13) Mar '13 biff 1
No. 3 Texas- Pittsburgh: Previewing The CBE Cla... (Nov '09) Nov '09 Matt Fontana 1
NCAA Top Seeds Tar Heels, Louisville Play Tonight (Apr '09) Apr '09 kenan robeson 1
Sean Miller May Be Target in UVA Search for Hea... (Mar '09) Mar '09 paul 5
A familiar ending for Pitt's season of firsts (Mar '09) Mar '09 frustrated in ATL 1
High stakes for Huskies with Pitt in town (Feb '09) Mar '09 Timster 2
Pittsburgh Survives Sweet 16 Scare (Mar '09) Mar '09 CheckYoFax 1

Search the Levance Fields Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••