Tough To Figure

There are 48 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 7, 2008, titled Tough To Figure. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Now, with just under two minutes remaining, a game of offensive futility and defensive breakdowns was about to have its signature moment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Massachusetts Husky

Bedford, MA

#1 Mar 7, 2008
As I posted last night, AJ added unnecessary pressure on his teammates (and apparently himself) by saying what did not need to be said. It needed to be DONE, but it did not need to be said. Chalk that one up to off-the-court experience translating to "speak softly but carry a big stick."

What an odd game. AJ struggled, Austrie looked bad, Wiggins seemed out of control, Adrien was neutralized, and Sticks disappeared for huge stretches (he made a cameo and hit two consecutive 3's at one point). Thabeet was decent, but was stripped of the ball constantly. Dyson was of no help, either. Passes were lazy. It was like a bakery, the turnovers were so prevalent. The zone made us look horrific again, like last year and early this year.

Yes, it was all an ugly deja vu. Calhoun diagnosed it as the return of selfish play -- a lack of team concept. The ESPN lady announcer (sorry, her name escapes me) said Providence just decided to play physical on every play, knowing full well the refs couldn't possibly whistle everything if they did (interesting strategy).

But it still falls on the Huskies. They're a team of delicate psyche -- not a "Who's Your Daddy?" team -- and AJ's trash talk before a nationally-televised game seemed to freeze his own players in the headlights of his bravado.

Unfortunately, the hot win streak is over. Since 'Nova, it's been more of an off-and-on thing (though you could argue some of the W's in the win streak were lucky close calls, too). Let's hope they start to feel the confidence again by assuming the mantle of underdogs. That's how they do best -- playing for pride as a disrespected team WITHOUT saying a word. Let actions prove lowered expectations wrong.

This year's Big East tournament is going to be a treat. Any team... on any day... more than ever!
Stefan

Sandy Hook, CT

#2 Mar 7, 2008
This team has a penchaunt for learning the slow, hard way. This game was so reminiscent of last year's team--a team that lacks discipline.

Yes. The hot streak is over because now UConn is on everyone's radar. They are no longer in the middle of the pack, and honestly, they haven't responded well to the challenge of being one of the top dogs in the Big East. But this is predictable.

Like I said they learn the hard way. Every new situation will take longer for them to adjust to and adapt to, and it's because they lack discipline.

Some things never change.
Robert in Raleigh

Raleigh, NC

#3 Mar 7, 2008
Drive the ball into the paint instead of passing into. When(may I say we) we drive the ball into the lane that scares the hell out of any team. Speed advantage Uconn. Dish, shoot, or pop it out. First option drive into the lane. JEFF ADRIEN=ALL AMERICAN 1st TEAM.
Wiselub

Sucat, Philippines

#4 Mar 7, 2008
I'll say it again, this talented team simply can't shoot the three. A MAJOR weakness.
Sue

Hartford, CT

#5 Mar 7, 2008
UConn hasn't looked good the past few games, but this was terrible. They left guys wide open basically playing Ole defense. I think Dyson's return has disturbed the chemistry. Dyson is so selfish. He's horrible on defense and if he can't make wide open threes, he doesn't deserve minutes.
HIBB

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Mar 7, 2008
Thanks to the bright student athletes at UCONN for the kind words earlier in the week.
AGAIN

United States

#7 Mar 7, 2008
A FEW ZONE DEFENSES WOULD HAVE HELPED!!!
athomeatfenway

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 7, 2008
Three quick points:
1. Thanks to Mike Anthony's game story today which explains that last night's fiasco was due to selfishness and a lack of focus. Thanks goodness he could explain because the wife and I had no flippin idea why the meltdown ! Now we know, it is about character and composure.
2. Dyson will be fine. Dougie will be fine.
3. Remember what happened after the last whuppin by the Friars ?-- we won 10 in a row. Let's hope Past is Prologue, my Husky brothers and sisters.
PASTA PETE

Saint Petersburg, FL

#9 Mar 7, 2008
TWO AND OUT AT THE BIG DANCE. THEY OUR NOT A FINAL FOUR TEAM. TRY AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

Since: Jan 08

Tucson, AZ

#10 Mar 7, 2008
Hm... Strange, AJ is BE player of the week and UConn loses to Nova; he's named to a national "watch" list, and UConn loses to Providence! Two of his worst games. Almost pathelogical.

Now shall we pray that UConn doesn't draw the Friars in their first game in the tournament?

Basketball is strange - especially in the Big East.
price still talking

Atlanta, GA

#12 Mar 7, 2008
I wonder if price too time to look at the PC bench last night? To see if there was any "disrpescting" going on. Well, I'm sure if he did he would have seen PC celebrating again. So unless next tiem price should do something on the court insteread crying to the meia about lack of respect. PC has NO reason to show resepct uconn as a basketball team. They have dominated uconn. Any team that gives up 50 2nd half plus pts to BE bottom dweller team twice is a pretty sory team

GO PC.
pnete

AOL

#13 Mar 7, 2008
Big East remains the most competitive conference in the nation due mainly to refs who could easily jumps into the WWF without a hitch. Any team can beat any other team on any given night in the Big East because the refs have a wonderful way of neutralizing talent. Its called letting them play. Hasheet was fouled several times on every single play of the game. So was Adrien. GT has won four games this year thanks to lousy refereeing down the stretch. The Big East refs don't call what they see. They call what they want to see. Did you ever wonder why Pitt with no NBA players was able to stay close to Uconn when Uconn had Okafor and Gordan, the two best players in college that year. It's called grabbing,holding bumping,and fouling five or six times on every single possesion and the refs ignoring it. It's why Pitt does nothing in the NCAAS because, as soon as Pitt runs into out of conference refs, its starters are on the bench with three fouls in the first five minutes of the game.
On the Providence game. Price sure embarrassed himself. He made more passes to wide open defenders than to his own team, He might someday be a decent NBA point guard. But he'll never be a Magic. He can't afford to get cocky. It was obvious the PC players had studied his passing habits and put themselves into position to steal his passes. Wiggins was out of control. Dyson rusty. The difference in this game is that for the first time this season Austrie had a bad game, not hitting his jumper and Ucon lost. Habeet was great despite the constant hammering.
gps

Bellows Falls, VT

#14 Mar 7, 2008
An ugly, discouraging game. I agree with MA Husky that AJ put too much pressure on himself and the team with his press interview--as I remember, Adrian chimed in too.

Providence played tough through the whole game--just an inspired group of kids. The refs--as so often this year--made weird and inconsistent calls through the whole game.

Well. It's behind us now. I'm hoping that the embarrassment of losing to Providence might be a real boost going into the Big East and the NCAA. Otherwise ... Go Husky Women!
WhatWhatWhat

Farmington, CT

#15 Mar 7, 2008
Take a page from the Geno play book. Good players don't talk, they play great and let others talk about them. I don't want to here anything from players, I don't care if they feel disrespected, or want to trash talk. Play and let others talk.
Matt

South Windsor, CT

#16 Mar 7, 2008
If UCONN stuck to its game plan and pound the ball inside! they could have won on foul shots and providence would have been in foul trouble? But then the refs! let many calls go or didn't see them, until things got heated up and then they made some calls? This is my take on the game. I hope the players look at the tapes and move on from mistakes and turning the ball over? they are much better than we saw in that game. go Huskies!
airforceleo1962

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Mar 7, 2008
1. Starting the Game: The Jump Ball. How many more games will UCONN lose this? This was probably 6 in a row? Let Robinson jump center. Thabeet losses them all!

2. Days Off: What’s sad, is that the team even had a few extra days off to prepare for this game.

3. A.J. Price: Talk the talk, you better step up & produce. Awful Game! Yes, I’m picking on A.J. cause he opened his trap. Did you not learn by Wiggins..they picked on me line?

4. Defense: If you don’t play it………this it what happens. Bottom Line. There have been “Numerous” games this season where UCONN has not defended the 3-point shot. Will you ever learn?

5. Rebounds: You out rebound your opponent 41 0 27 & still lose? See the next Stat.

6. T.O.’s: 21? And some are still wondering why a Loss? During the NCAA Tourney, that will send you home quickly!

7. Closing: This game really did not hurt or help UCONN. It only continued to show weaknesses.
FanFromNC

Raleigh, NC

#18 Mar 7, 2008
As soon as I heard Price's comments before the game, my heart sunk. How many times has that worked out! Not many. Still, UCONN hung in there in the first half, and the start of the second. In my opinion, the turning point of the game was right after Robinson hit on consecutive 3's, and PC called time-out. Instead of being fired-up, Calhoun seemed pissed-off! He said something to Stanley as he approached the bench. Maybe Robinson did some celebrating, I don't know. Right after that UCONN went flat, and got very out-of sync. PC made the adjustments, and the rest of the game looked very much like the first meeting. I just had the feeling Robinson could have had a huge night, and it was snuffed out! He's been so close to having one, the ability is certainly there. I think he could have been the difference maker last night, with the rest of the team struggling. Oh well, just a thought!
DfreshofManhatta n

New York, NY

#19 Mar 7, 2008
What is their record since Dyson returned? Enough said.
RayRay wrote:
<quoted text>
Sue, you're an idiot and a clear Dyson-hater. This loss had nothing to do with chemistry. They were simply outplayed. How has Dyson been selfish? He's seemed mostly passive since he's been back to make sure he doesn't take over on offense. He's been deferring more to teammates.
mclacasse

Middlefield, CT

#20 Mar 7, 2008
like I've said before PC plays the huskies like they are in a tournament then they play everyone else like the chumps they are Price put the onus on this game and didn't back it up, okay now that this ones over we got Cincy another tough one, that plays the same way as PC, time for the tough to get going, Calhoun will have these guys ready because it's tourny time and coach is one of the best at this time of the season, prediction.....UCONN and Louisville in big east championship game.........go huskies ...big east rules
RayRay

Manchester, CT

#21 Mar 7, 2008
DfreshofManhattan wrote:
What is their record since Dyson returned? Enough said.
<quoted text>
Enough said? You didn't say anything. Um, Dyson is the reason they won some of their games this year. Since he hasn't played much since he's been back, how is it his fault? Did he shoot 1-11, 4-13, or 4-11 last night? Did he turn the ball over? Did he miss all those calls the refs forgot to call?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Xavier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quiana Scott sings loud and clear (Feb '09) Feb '09 Danbury Resident 1
News Defense still a problem as Friars fend off Rock (Nov '08) Nov '08 jim hearts pc 1
News Keno Davis is new coach for Providence (Apr '08) Apr '08 Paul D 2
News Game Highlights (Mar '08) Mar '08 Offence 1
News Race is tight from top to bottom (Feb '08) Feb '08 Dan Rakow 2
News Friar And Ice (Jan '08) Jan '08 dan 43
More from around the web