UM's McClinton wants fans to look pas...

UM's McClinton wants fans to look past tattoos, recent behavior

There are 17 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 20, 2008, titled UM's McClinton wants fans to look past tattoos, recent behavior. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

In one moment, he became next on a long list. He was yet another athlete gone wild, one more bad seed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Steve

Sarasota, FL

#1 Dec 21, 2008
McClinton's just another bad apple in the UM athletic program. Same old, same old for the Hurricanes--no class.

Since: Jul 08

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2 Dec 21, 2008
Steve wrote:
McClinton's just another bad apple in the UM athletic program. Same old, same old for the Hurricanes--no class.
if their not fighting another school (MIA/FIU brawl) they're getting way with murder (ray lewis)
A reader

Hollywood, FL

#3 Dec 21, 2008
If you want others to "look past" your tattoos, then why'd you get them in the first place? Not just you, Mr. McClinton, but anyone. Why deface your body with these things, calling attention to yourself and then say people shouldn't judge you by them?

Sorry, it may be unfair but you can't have it both ways.
Marcus

Jonas Ridge, NC

#4 Dec 21, 2008
just another punk from "da yew".

Miami has no shame, no admissions criteria. If you can recognize a ball, then your in.
John

Boynton Beach, FL

#5 Dec 21, 2008
A reader wrote:
If you want others to "look past" your tattoos, then why'd you get them in the first place? Not just you, Mr. McClinton, but anyone. Why deface your body with these things, calling attention to yourself and then say people shouldn't judge you by them?
Sorry, it may be unfair but you can't have it both ways.
Agreed. A kid with tatoos slaps an opposing player and gets ejected. You appear to be very much "Ron Artest" like. Your actions moving forward will determine whether people put you in a category of a "Grant Hill" or "Ron Artest". I believe you are probably more like a "Grant Hill" but so far your actions say different.
Unreal

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#6 Dec 21, 2008
Why is everyone so judgemental? This is a kid learning to be a man. How many of you have made mistakes when you were young? McClinton is a great player on and off the court. Tatoos have nothing to do with being a good or bad person, stop your incorrect thinking. Look thru your prejudice and know Jack will become a fine person with or without basketball!
anne

Miami, FL

#7 Dec 21, 2008
did anyone bother to see the whole tape? ask yourself: why would mcclinton have reacted? why hasn't anyone questioned old screw you's coach? anyone remember another osu game where the ref made a questionable call? jack's a good kid and a hard worker. good article. and fiu still owes um an apology.
dwj

Hollywood, FL

#8 Dec 21, 2008
Jack made a mistake and will have to deal with the heckling from opposing fans. That comes with the territory. He is a young man who has made a mistake, like we all have. Keep your head up Jack. Look right past the haters. It's still all about the U!!!
joe

Altoona, PA

#9 Dec 21, 2008
I agree with Unreal. People need to stop being judgemental because we ALL made mistakes when we were young(some worse than others). A swat at a defender with an open hand should not be treated like he pulled out a gun and shot at the guy. You could look at Jack and tell that he regretted what he did and he put the loss on his shoulders. I don't think we will see anything but model behavior from Jack. He is an outstanding ballplayer and I hope he is able to take his game to the next level. He who never made an error in judgement at that age can throw a stone. This young man is advancing himself with a higher education. He's a good kid who made one mistake that probably taught him a valuable lesson in life. Lay off.
A reader

Hollywood, FL

#10 Dec 21, 2008
joe wrote:
I agree with Unreal. People need to stop being judgemental because we ALL made mistakes when we were young(some worse than others). A swat at a defender with an open hand should not be treated like he pulled out a gun and shot at the guy. You could look at Jack and tell that he regretted what he did and he put the loss on his shoulders. I don't think we will see anything but model behavior from Jack. He is an outstanding ballplayer and I hope he is able to take his game to the next level. He who never made an error in judgement at that age can throw a stone. This young man is advancing himself with a higher education. He's a good kid who made one mistake that probably taught him a valuable lesson in life. Lay off.
Personally, I would never judge him or anyone else based on the slap that occurred in that game. I'm not a UM fan nor a hater; I happened to be watching the game when it occurred and saw the replays. It just wasn't that big of a deal. And I certainly don't condemn this young man for what occurred. I wish him nothing but success in his life.
But he's asking me to look past his tattoos like they don't exist. He chose to deface his body with that junk; I didn't ask him to do so. He carved that ugly, anti-social stuff into his skin for a reason. He can't pretend now that he didn't.
Pago Pago Trojan

Toledo, OH

#11 Dec 21, 2008
Who can ever forget when "thug u" was getting off their plane out in Arizona, wearing combat fatigues.
They dis-honored their school AND...the men and women who wear the "real" combat fatigues! Sad...
zachstar22

New Brunswick, NJ

#12 Dec 21, 2008
Those of you trashing Jack here, you are as clueless as the clueless people who think Jack's just another thug. This article wasn't even about his "slap." It's about how he's a good, pretty normal kid, who works hard.

You're all so quick to judge, especially under the guise of Internet anonymity. Makes me wonder -- if you're so quick to judge someone you don't know, what are the many, probably mistaken, snap judgments you make about the people you actually interact with?
Rocky

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Dec 22, 2008
Another thug from the U. Keeping it strong and making sure it spreads from the turf to the court. Way to go Hurriclowns! I'm sure the 12 fans that actually went to UM don't care and the rest of the highschool drop outs don't mind either.
Deputy Dawg

Bakersfield, CA

#15 Dec 22, 2008
Perception counts for so much. The perception others have of him were created by him. Now the perception he craves so hard for is supposed to be explained away by his " support " group. The 'hood may like what they see, but others aren't interested enough to care. You picked it Jack, so now accept it.

Your mother gave you a huge hint 5 years ago, but you had no respect for her. You went and got "more". That speaks volumes about you. You created the image.

BTW, very few people care.
Sad

Boca Raton, FL

#16 Dec 23, 2008
Every single person who is saying that Jack is a thug is as ignorant as they come. You are either prejudice racist, or fill in the blank. You obviously have never listened to McClinton speak or see the leadership and dedication he has to this game. You people are honestly disgusting. How dare you question someone like Jack. You are the people who are an embarrassment to society. Absolutely pathetic that people are so judgemental over someone's appearance and one incident in their life. How would you like if you were judge for one mistake you made in your life? Its people like you that make this country the way it is. You would be lucky to have a son/daughter like Jack. And I can't wait for the day where Jack will be more successful than all of you who are knocking him.
mcclinton fan

AOL

#17 Dec 29, 2008
greenmiamicat wrote:
<quoted text>
if their not fighting another school (MIA/FIU brawl) they're getting way with murder (ray lewis)
what a pig of you to even put the two in the same sentence. if you saw the game jack did not throw the first swing. i will gladly send you money to get a pair of eyeglasses. NOT!!!!!
UMM

Miami, FL

#18 Jun 8, 2009
Jack Mcclinton was first team all ACC academic this year, enough said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jack McClinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jack McClinton: Former University of Miami star... (Jun '09) Jul '09 CANESFAN 6
News No time to rest for McClinton as NBA draft looms (Jun '09) Jun '09 DJ Davis 4
News Hurricanes, Gaels could be a perfect storm (Mar '09) Apr '09 Greg 361
News National anthem sweet music to 'Canes' McClinton (Mar '09) Mar '09 mike 2
News Florida advances in NIT by blasting Miami (Mar '09) Mar '09 Hunter 33
News Miami beats Providence 78-66 in NIT first-round... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Hunter 31
News Gators to tangle with Hurricanes in NIT meeting (Mar '09) Mar '09 FSUMom 2
More from around the web