Put it down as 'W'

Full story: Baltimore Sun 32
The pressure was finally off Maryland last night. No talk of the NCAA tournament , of being on the bubble, of blowing double-digit leads down the stretch. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
terps19

Boucherville, Canada

#21 Mar 19, 2008
Gary wrote:
Nobody cares, this tournament means nothing. How many people do you think watched the game. I watched Dancing with the Stars.
You are a fruit then Gary. That sure does show who you are loyal to. I am sure you are just like those fans who leave with 1 minutes to go and down by 3 or 4 just to beat traffic. I am sure this tourney means something to the 30 some odd teams in it... jerk
Jan Cominsky - PA

Hershey, PA

#22 Mar 19, 2008
The truth of the matter is that we blew our season with sloppy play and letting games get away. We have plenty of talent. They just need to slow down and think before throwing the ball, etc!
Now we are in the NIT along with a lot of other good teams (VA Tech for one). We should play like we respect ourselves, our school, the other teams and the NIT. It does no good to act like we are too good to play in the tournament. We did not deserve to go to the big dance.
flipper

Woodbridge, NJ

#23 Mar 19, 2008
it was more exciting than the mount game. i think md will beat syracuse but they would have lost to robert morris if they played them.
GAB in Odenton

United States

#24 Mar 19, 2008
The NIT involves a higher level of competition than the pre-ACC games the Terps played. Since the NCAA took over the management of the tournament, the selection has been better (coaches, not ESPN, pick the teams), the invited teams must all be over .500, and many are regular-season champions that did not get invited to the tournament. Syracuse, Ohio State, and Virginia Tech aren't clown programs. It's not what we as Terps fans wanted, but it's not a disgrace to play in the "Little Dance." It means, if you win, you beat four decent opponents in a row--something the knuckleheads didn't do this year.

Besides, if we win the tournament, it can be a motivator for next year's club.

Any recruit who would be discouraged from attending the University because of postings on the Baltimore Sun is not the type of player we want. "Ohh, the Terp fans might not like me! I may have the raving fantods and go play for Pennsyltucky A&M instead!" We're passionate about the game, but we are realists.
BDD

United States

#25 Mar 19, 2008
Will wrote:
Wow. Some classic bitter, bitter D.C. area sports enthusiasts here! Look, I understand the program has spiraled, but winning an NIT title is no meaningless task.
I'm a Baltimore native and a Ravens season ticket holder. Sorry, if I moved to the DC area because there is more money to be made here.

Regardless, I am not bitter. I am just disappointed in a program that is clearly trending the wrong way now.

Perhaps MD should only play against Big 10 schools that don't have the athletic ability of the ACC schools. Gary seems to have a pretty good record against the Big 10.
James

Minneapolis, MN

#26 Mar 19, 2008
BDD wrote:
The game wasn't even broadcast in HD. I can't even believe there was an entire section of fans at the arena in Minnesota.
I loved the commentators' constant notion that Vasquez and Hayes were one of the premier guard tandems in the NCAA. Yeah right, I am often reminded of Blake and Dixon whenever I see them in action.
What were those guys smoking before going on the air? And where can I get some of that?
HEY! DID THE FAN SECTION MAKE IT ON TV? I WAS IN THE FAN SECTION. REALLY, DID THE COMMENTATORS TALK ABOUT IT? THAT'D BE SO COOL.
Calterp

Los Angeles, CA

#27 Mar 19, 2008
Being in the NIT is at least better than not playing at all. I didn't catch the entire game (I was frequently flipping back and forth), but it seemed to me that Gary gave the young guys a decent amount of playing time. I'd like to see the Terps go far in the NIT as the additonal game play experience can only help us come next year. I am a little worried about Eric Hayes possibly leaving.
Frank

AOL

#29 Mar 19, 2008
as Roy Orbson would sing "Its over"
denny crum situation 2015 we will be on the rise again
Frank

AOL

#30 Mar 19, 2008
but before any player leaves college to have played in the Dome is something they will never forget...
Will

Pittsburgh, PA

#31 Mar 19, 2008
BDD wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Baltimore native and a Ravens season ticket holder. Sorry, if I moved to the DC area because there is more money to be made here.
Hah, I didn't mean to slight D.C. over Baltimore or even differentiate. I should have said: "D.C./Baltimore metro area" because growing up on its outskirts and spending my life within, I got used to and participated in the sort of bitter moaning I mentioned. I've gotten over it nowadays because my job is in sports. Someone wins, someone loses, data must be sorted and words written.
But it's been a trend for decades now. We are more accustomed to expecting the worst and then complaining than we are hoping for winners around here. We got the Ravens for a couple of seasons, Maryland's extended NCAA presence plus title, the Caps in one Stanley Cup final, and that O's 97 season that ended in early disaster (and they've never recovered).
Yes, before then you had Georgetown, there are other blips here and there, and there's always college lacrosse (but, ahem, Maryland men haven't won a title there in ... 33 YEARS). But generally we trend toward the bitter.
kbh

Port Jefferson, NY

#32 Mar 19, 2008
vasquez will be the acc player of the year next year, no doubt.
QuitCryin

Glyndon, MD

#33 Mar 19, 2008
terps19 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a fruit then Gary. That sure does show who you are loyal to. I am sure you are just like those fans who leave with 1 minutes to go and down by 3 or 4 just to beat traffic. I am sure this tourney means something to the 30 some odd teams in it... jerk
No doubt he's (JERK) watching reality tv right now. Better than reading his posts!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greivis Vasquez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's it with Maryland-North Carolina games an... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Veener 1
Team motivated after it is left unranked in the... (Nov '10) Nov '10 richard abramson 2
Terps launch season of change at Maryland Madness (Oct '10) Oct '10 NCSHADOW 1
A three, and out (Mar '10) Mar '10 jamie 1
Maryland-Houston features battle of top guards (Mar '10) Mar '10 riverlanding 1
Maryland's Vasquez: 'I have to be crazy' (Jan '10) Mar '10 Dont Cry Dookie 2
Maryland, Vasquez make it work (Dec '09) Dec '09 Milbourne sparks ... 1
•••
•••

Greivis Vasquez People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••