Put it down as 'W'

Put it down as 'W'

There are 32 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Mar 19, 2008, titled Put it down as 'W'. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The pressure was finally off Maryland last night. No talk of the NCAA tournament , of being on the bubble, of blowing double-digit leads down the stretch.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Way2Go

Rockville, MD

#1 Mar 19, 2008
Beating Minn which made it to the Big-10 Finals is something to be proud of. Syracuse definitely belonged in the Big Dance. So this next one may well re-define the season. I hope to see some boxing out, driving for layups and good dishes, some outside shooting, the extra pass to the open man, and controlled joy. Put some tar on your hands if you need it, and get those elbows out and hands stretched.
JuanSteveLonnyCh risByron

United States

#2 Mar 19, 2008
It is acceptable for minn. to play in the nit,not md.Were 6yrs removed from a nat'l championship.The expectations of the md fans are higher than the nit,we left md in good shape?not making the dance(3 out 4yrs),is unacceptable,take your ball and go HOME kid?
pstroms

United States

#3 Mar 19, 2008
If we beat Syracuse we are back on the bubble!
Gary

Brighton, MI

#4 Mar 19, 2008
Nobody cares, this tournament means nothing. How many people do you think watched the game. I watched Dancing with the Stars.
GAB in Odenton

United States

#5 Mar 19, 2008
Gary, I noticed you cared enough to comment on it. Think of this as a chance to see what the kids are made of and to build for the future. Maybe Gary Williams won't recruit so many knuckleheads. I'd rather have a hard-working, smart, less-talented team than a team of arrogant, selfish, and me-first players. If that means being repeat NIT champions, so be it. You're still playing in April.
BDD

United States

#6 Mar 19, 2008
Whoop-de-doo!

I can't wait to raise the NIT Championship banner and chant "We're number 66!"

Hoo-f**king-ray!

Since: Feb 08

United States

#7 Mar 19, 2008
pstroms wrote:
If we beat Syracuse we are back on the bubble!
Nice one! Hilarious.
BDD

United States

#8 Mar 19, 2008
The game wasn't even broadcast in HD. I can't even believe there was an entire section of fans at the arena in Minnesota.

I loved the commentators' constant notion that Vasquez and Hayes were one of the premier guard tandems in the NCAA. Yeah right, I am often reminded of Blake and Dixon whenever I see them in action.

What were those guys smoking before going on the air? And where can I get some of that?
Frank

AOL

#9 Mar 19, 2008
I hope Jimmy and Gary will be able to share old times over a dinner as they have both gone over the hill. I will always like both of them though,
firegarywilliams DOTcom

Southampton, PA

#10 Mar 19, 2008
Maryland: Back in the Sweet Sixteen!

Back where we belong. Making a run at the right time. Stepping up big when it matters most.

What? What did you say? We're in the Sweet 16 of the NITs?

Oh, never mind.
Dave

Chesterfield, MO

#11 Mar 19, 2008
BDD wrote:
The game wasn't even broadcast in HD. I can't even believe there was an entire section of fans at the arena in Minnesota.
I loved the commentators' constant notion that Vasquez and Hayes were one of the premier guard tandems in the NCAA. Yeah right, I am often reminded of Blake and Dixon whenever I see them in action.
What were those guys smoking before going on the air? And where can I get some of that?
Hey BDD, you clearly care or you wouldn't have read the story and commented on in. If you don't care, stop reading stories about Maryland and go root for Duke, Georgetown or UVA.
NorthBaltimoreGu y

United States

#12 Mar 19, 2008
I'm as upset as any other Terps fan with the lack of performance of this program over the past 5 years. Given the quality of talent within a couple hours drive of CP we should be able to compete with Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas and others regularly. I see no reason why this team is not a perenial top 10 team, consistently making it to the sweet 16 with runs every few years to the final 4.

I think its important as a fan to be able to complain and vent when things don't go well. All of that said I think it would be better for all of us to complain and vent to Debbie Yow directly rather on this article or TerrapinTimes.com . My guess is that recruits read this stuff and all of the negativity doesn't help endear them to our program.

Lastly, while I really don't care about the NIT the way I care about the NCAA, the reality is that's where we ended up this year and the best thing for the program is to win as many games in the NIT and to build off of it. For that reason we should all be supportive and route them on.
Marcus

Henniker, NH

#13 Mar 19, 2008
I could only stomach about five minutes of this game las night. They can win a game in the NIT but not one in the ACC tournament!!! I think the NIT and now this ridiculous CBI tournament should be done away with personally. They do not matter at all!
JKoh

United States

#14 Mar 19, 2008
so basically the Terps can't play under pressure.
Tom

College Park, MD

#15 Mar 19, 2008
Is it too early to begin a wish list for Gary for Christmas?

1) New in-bound plays - Gary, you really need something other than throwing the ball halfway towards the other end of the court for an in-bounds play under your own basket. Maybe a double-screen down low, maybe a lob off a double-pick....

2) A new offense - what is this flex offense? What flexes? More movement, Gary, you need more movement. More screens, more picks, more seperation, etc.

3) A coach that can teach how to block/box out - rebounding is a simple thing. Find a man, put a body on him, and block/box out. If they go over you, it is a foul. Find a coach that knows the nuances of blocking out and teach your team how to do it.

Please Santa, just these three little things....
QuitCryin

Sykesville, MD

#16 Mar 19, 2008
Yes thank you Gary! We know YOU don't care about the terps. Guess you're getting ready to watch overrated GTOWN go down early (**YAWN**) well gotta go drink my budweiser and chill with my mom in out doublewide
BDD

United States

#17 Mar 19, 2008
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey BDD, you clearly care or you wouldn't have read the story and commented on in. If you don't care, stop reading stories about Maryland and go root for Duke, Georgetown or UVA.
I never said I didn't care. I was just commenting on the whole disappointing and anti-climatic nature of the NIT.

Just because I am disappointed with this season doesn't mean I am not a supporter.

If you are happy with an NIT victory, then you are clearly not concerned with the future of the program.

As an active donor, season ticket holder for football and basketball, and fan in general, I will comment as much as I please.

I also don't think that gives me any special right to comment over someone else, so I still encourage you to continue to post even if you fail to make any salient points.
Will

Cambridge, MD

#18 Mar 19, 2008
Wow. Some classic bitter, bitter D.C. area sports enthusiasts here! Look, I understand the program has spiraled, but winning an NIT title is no meaningless task. Look how many teams (including Terps in '06) who, still seething over their NCAA snub, crumble in the opening round against a team that's thrilled to be in the NIT.

It's still a tournament, filled with some quality teams, and if you're in it, why not try to win it? You always want to get selected to the Dance, but winning an NIT title is better than a first-round NCAA exit.

All the talk about what Maryland needs to do to end this puzzling spiral since the national title is fine; but it has nothing to do with this NIT. If they play well and win it, good for them.
Jason Middlekauff

Wildersville, TN

#19 Mar 19, 2008
"If you are happy with an NIT victory, then you are clearly not concerned with the future of the program."

It depends on how you define happy. If you mean "satisfied" or "content," then, yes, that's bad. However, as disappointed as I am with the Terps not making the NCAA's, I'm not going to bellyache about it in lieu of rooting for the team to win games in whatever tournament they're playing in.
Baltimore Fan

Towson, MD

#20 Mar 19, 2008
Just to weigh in: I care, I watched the game last nite, and I found it to be an exciting game that kept me up too late. When the Terps are on they are a very quick, athletic team that can play with anyone in the country. I was especially impressed with Adrian Bowie - he's gonna be fun to watch the next couple years. On to Syracuse (also a recent national champ). Go Terps!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greivis Vasquez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What's it with Maryland-North Carolina games an... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Veener 1
News Team motivated after it is left unranked in the... (Nov '10) Nov '10 richard abramson 2
News Terps launch season of change at Maryland Madness (Oct '10) Oct '10 NCSHADOW 1
News A three, and out (Mar '10) Mar '10 jamie 1
News Maryland-Houston features battle of top guards (Mar '10) Mar '10 riverlanding 1
News Maryland's Vasquez: 'I have to be crazy' (Jan '10) Mar '10 Dont Cry Dookie 2
News Maryland, Vasquez make it work (Dec '09) Dec '09 Milbourne sparks ... 1
More from around the web