Evans not a Terp yet

Evans not a Terp yet

There are 45 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 8, 2008, titled Evans not a Terp yet. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Tyree Evans, a sweet-shooting, 23-year-old recruit with a history of legal troubles, signed with the University of Maryland last month but can't be admitted until a disciplinary office reviews his criminal ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Frank

Alexandria, VA

#1 May 8, 2008
If Williams wants to give the kid another chance then that's ok -- I just wish GW wouldn't be so arrogant all the time. Debbie Yow should not have been left out.
real - b-more guy

United States

#2 May 8, 2008
Give him a chance. Also maybe the sun paper wil write a accurate report on him.
Terp Fan

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3 May 8, 2008
I say give him a chance. Some major college Football players seem to have checkered pasts and are still allowed to play. Didn't two big time receivers reveal at the combine that they failed drug tests while enrolled in college, yet continued to play? I'm not condoning it but let's see if his past really is behind him.
Bob S

Augusta, ME

#4 May 8, 2008
As long as he can post bail at will, I say let him play and commit crimes at MD.
TerpsFan

Gwynn Oak, MD

#5 May 8, 2008
With the Terps Basketball team having the worst GPA in the ACC, what's another dumbsh*t that can dribble and shoot ... more or less. 8^)
Rafael Joseph McFadden

Silver Spring, MD

#6 May 8, 2008
TerpsFan wrote:
With the Terps Basketball team having the worst GPA in the ACC, what's another dumbsh*t that can dribble and shoot ... more or less. 8^)
Nice to see the bigots have had their coffee today.
Gary Williams

Dallas, TX

#7 May 8, 2008
I recruit who I wanna recruit. Stay out of it, Ms. Yowza. If he screws up here, he is gone, but I'm going to give him a chance to prove himself.
Winning Tradition

Richmond, VA

#8 May 8, 2008
gary is trying to save his job, he's clearly desperate as he should be.
Fred

Thurmont, MD

#9 May 8, 2008
Why I do I think that if Maryland had made the NCAA tournament the past few years Williams wouldn't be touching this guy? A few NIT appearances and a bleak future have left Gary esperate.
Tim

Boca Raton, FL

#10 May 8, 2008
Give the kid a shot , can we please get Brenda Freeze to help Gary recruit ??
Gary

United States

#11 May 8, 2008
As the father (and alum of UMD along with my wife and son who will graduate from the school in 2009) of a young lady who was denied admission to UMD but will be attending UCONN, I was flabbergasted, disappointed and dismayed that UMD would even consider this young man for admission to the school. UMD is not a rehabilitation facility for the wayward or for people seeking guidance. This young man has serious issues that need to be addressed and just because he can sink a basketball or make a behind the back pass does not equal sufficient treatment and remedy. If this young man is admitted, I will be giving up my support for the school both financially and emotionally.
ron nixon

United States

#12 May 8, 2008
i think we are seeing a war between gary and yow over this issue. i agree with gary, if we cant trust his judgment on a recruit and their background, then what is all this about. gary is putting his reputation on the line as a hall of fame coach, and i would expect that should be enough regarding one recruit. we have lost several really good recruits recently, because of administrative involvement, football, and basketball. if the coaches believe in some of these then they should be given some lattitude. misdemeanors, and we are going to throw away the chance to help a young man succeed, and move on.
Ronnie

AOL

#13 May 8, 2008
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Gary has to be on the hot seat after failing to make the tournament yet again. He has always been criticized for not getting the local talent. Dupree and Gregory were steps in the right direction and now the addition of Shane Mosley breaks the mold. He also is criticized for not going after the guys that everyone knows are one and done. Evans won't be one and done but his situation isn't a whole lot different. First and foremost if we don't sign him someone else will. He makes us a better team right away. I think they give the kid a shot. He seems to be saying all the right things and he meets eligibility. Now if they do accept him and we fail to make the tournament next year then its bye bye Gary.
Surf52

Baltimore, MD

#14 May 8, 2008
I suppose all of you detractors made perfect decisions before you were twenty three? Or is it that nobody ever went out on a limb for you?

My guess is that you had better adult interaction in your young lives, along with better advice.

Either that, or you're all Carolina fans.

Give him a chance, but keep him on a short leash. At least until he proves himself.
bob b

Decatur, IL

#15 May 8, 2008
This is a tough one. I'm all for Gary and hope that this works out OK for both he and Evans sake. However, it does appear that he may have not followed the required procedures. In so doing, he put his boss (Ms. Yow) in a bad spot. No one individual should be bigger than the program. Again, I hope that this works out for all concerned. This looks like it could have been avoided if the proper communication had taken place. The lack thereof appears to be Gary's fault.
think about it

Falls Church, VA

#16 May 8, 2008
Rafael Joseph McFadden wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see the bigots have had their coffee today.
I did not see any race mentioned. Many of the ball players who do not graduate are white and many who do are black.
kgoon1590

College Park, MD

#17 May 8, 2008
Let's not forget Maryland has other felons going to school here that don't play sports.

You know the guy will have to play it clean from here on out if he wants to do anything with his life. Although I frown that Gary went behind Yow's back, I see no reason why Evans can't come to Maryland and thrive. It's a school for goodness sake - there are worse people than Evans here.
DarNel

Santa Barbara, CA

#19 May 8, 2008
Gary wrote:
As the father (and alum of UMD along with my wife and son who will graduate from the school in 2009) of a young lady who was denied admission to UMD but will be attending UCONN, I was flabbergasted, disappointed and dismayed that UMD would even consider this young man for admission to the school. UMD is not a rehabilitation facility for the wayward or for people seeking guidance. This young man has serious issues that need to be addressed and just because he can sink a basketball or make a behind the back pass does not equal sufficient treatment and remedy. If this young man is admitted, I will be giving up my support for the school both financially and emotionally.
As an alum and former student-athlete at Maryland, I'll increase my support, financially and emotionally if the University does admit him. So go right ahead.
A Concerned Terp Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#21 May 8, 2008
One screw-up and he is gone and Gary should go with him.

This is just the last act of desperation of a drowning coach who just needs to get off of the golf course and recruit the local, AA talent that hasn't already plead down two felony convictions, beaten a teammate and been kicked off a team.

The availability of AA talent locally and Gary's inability to land it reminds one of the Ancient Mariner

Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.
Ray

Westminster, MD

#22 May 8, 2008
Hey ralf freidgen can join williams and recruit Ron Perrileoux.

This GW thing is just blowing up. Poor fella lost his mind after the championship. Living for the money only and sandbagging all of us. The rope is reaching its limits.

No tourney next year. This kid evans is rooming with Vasquez? Well then there will be two out of control guards. Just the extra ingredient that this lost team needs.

NIT in 2009 and Gary will finally be out the door.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greivis Vasquez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What's it with Maryland-North Carolina games an... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Veener 1
News Team motivated after it is left unranked in the... (Nov '10) Nov '10 richard abramson 2
News Terps launch season of change at Maryland Madness (Oct '10) Oct '10 NCSHADOW 1
News A three, and out (Mar '10) Mar '10 jamie 1
News Maryland-Houston features battle of top guards (Mar '10) Mar '10 riverlanding 1
News Maryland's Vasquez: 'I have to be crazy' (Jan '10) Mar '10 Dont Cry Dookie 2
News Maryland, Vasquez make it work (Dec '09) Dec '09 Milbourne sparks ... 1
More from around the web