Winning streak shot down

Winning streak shot down

There are 14 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 14, 2008, titled Winning streak shot down. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Less than a minute into the second half last night at Cameron Indoor Stadium, Maryland coach Gary Williams had seen enough.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Gary

Brighton, MI

#1 Feb 14, 2008
There season depends on one thing Vasquez. If he can keep his turnovers down, they have a chance. Scoreing 25 points is great but having over 10 turnovers you don't have a chance. I still think Maryland is a good team, they just have to keep down the mistakes. Good article
Rich

United States

#2 Feb 14, 2008
I'm calling it now, that, if MD faces Duke again, in the ACC or NCAA tourney, they're gonna spank the Blue Devils. They will NOT beat MD 3 times this year. If and when they play again, MD will beat them when it matter most!
Jimmy

College Park, MD

#3 Feb 14, 2008
James Gist's weakness was exposed last night. He cannot defend a similar sized guy who can extend him to the three point line and put it on the floor. James better get his degree because that is all the NBA is made up of. His defense was pathetic.
Bert Jones

Washington, DC

#4 Feb 14, 2008
If you can read this, you did not play hoops at MD.

Happy birthday Coach K.
ron nixon

United States

#5 Feb 14, 2008
well, the game played out exactly as i had projected. we just dont have the team yet to match up with a basketball spread offense. the terps are limited in the front court and at guard. osby was having a lot of trouble covering his man outside, and getting back into defensive position, thats why neal had to play so many minutes. at guard hayes and vasquez did what they could, but, milbourne was not up to the task. i thought tucker looked good, but he was rarely used in the second half. against duke we need a quick small forward like tucker to match up with their spread. we are close, but, not quite ready for a rematch in the tourney.
A Casual Reader Duke Fan

Butler, PA

#6 Feb 14, 2008
I wonder, did you make this up or did you get from Coach Williams exactly what he was doing?
Quote:
"For a moment, he stood on the court, behind his team's huddle, trying to come up with something prophetic to say rather than just something profane."

Maybe, he purposely didn't start talking thus, creating a refocus by his team. Let me explain, He doesn't do as expected, thus the team is now focused on him and not what just happened...and they are more attentive to what he is about to say.

Maybe, he was putting together in his mind exactly what and how he was going to say what he was going to say and not just to refrain from saying profane. Meaning, it had nothing to do with him getting control of his emotions. Rather, he was totally in control and just intellectually, strategically, and motivationally working out the best approach for what was now, perhaps, the most critical timeout he will have taken.

Perhaps you were attempting to create a simile for how fans felt and how how Duke can make one feel...mad enough to be profane because there seems to be no solution to their mass of destructive weapons. Fine, but to do so at the expense of a person is being quite liberal with journalistic license...it borders on the profane!

You see, I greatly resent anyone who will make something up to deliberately accuse someone of being "profane"... which is what you did. I believe you owe Coach Williams an apology. It may be that he does become profane at times, but for you to say it when you have no facts...just made up is not truthful nor is it factual, it is not reporting, it is slander and misrepresentation, it is character defamation, and just really bad journalism. If you did interview Coach Williams and he told you this is what he was doing, then you owe it to your readers to so inform them...Coach Williams said..."etc".

What you did is worse than what our intelligence gathering services did when they reported weapons of mass destruction. At least they have an excuse as Iraq's ussein
and its propaganda media machine led the world to believe Iraq had WMD.

A Casual Reader and Duke Fan
NC Terps Fan

Lake Mary, FL

#7 Feb 14, 2008
I gues the Lady's will have to retaliate for the Men's loss this Sunday.
Jimbo

AOL

#8 Feb 14, 2008
Demarcus Nelson on Greivis Vasquez:

"If you could read my mind, I might be in trouble... It's more about himself than his team. That's something, I guess, they allow in their locker room."

Since: Feb 08

United States

#9 Feb 14, 2008
Bottom line: The Terps just don't have enough reliable 3-point threats like Duke (always) does. Did you see the way their defense just collapsed on any interior passes? They knew the outside shot wasn't a threat and that was the difference-maker.

Vasquez is a tough one. Live by Greivis, die by Greivis, I guess.

I wish and hope he'd get his game under a little more control. I was at that NC State game on Saturday and it was one of the most amazing passing performances I've ever seen by a Terp. He's got some real gifts.
Samuel

AOL

#10 Feb 14, 2008
"When Greivis Vasquez came out for the second half last night, he and some fans at courtside started getting into some trash-talking and posturing. Vasquez was warned by one of the game officials, John Cahill, to stop gesturing to the crowd. Cahill later had to calm Vasquez down after the sophomore guard complained about a call." Classless! Do we want our student athletes to behave like this?
GV even utters blake and dixon are in same class as him..wrong! one blake would have decked paulus doing this game and run the offense and Dixon would have been Dixon. GV is a gilchrist that won't leave early and we will stay pained another two years
Samuel

AOL

#11 Feb 14, 2008
terp 92 yes we could use some three point shooters...believe or not I am really missing Mike Jones!
no name

United States

#12 Feb 14, 2008
I've felt for a long time the sentiments expressed by Duke guard Demarcus Nelson. Vazquez is more concerned about making it his game against Duke and not the Terps. He's a selfish player who often fails to get the team's big men involved in the game. Last night was a perfect example of Vazquez's ego overshadowing the team's strengths. Maybe Gary should move him to the two-guard, where his out of control play would be more limited. He's also a natural scorer, certainly more so than Hayes, who has limited ability and should be coming of the bench to provide an offensive spark or hail some threes. Bowie and Tucker both look promising. Getting SG Mosley and PG Pax in next year will certainly make it more interesting at guard.
Mr Baseball

Sykesville, MD

#14 Feb 14, 2008
Jimbo wrote:
Demarcus Nelson on Greivis Vasquez:
"If you could read my mind, I might be in trouble... It's more about himself than his team. That's something, I guess, they allow in their locker room."
I've been saying this for months. The shame of it is that Vasquez could be a very, very good player if he could control his emotions and stop being so selfish. Yes, he scored 25 points last night on some great drives in the lane but his jump shot is not very good and he takes terrible shots when the Terps need to go inside and take a good shot. His turnovers are also killing us. If Gary can get him under control we will be a very good team come tournament time. We're close now. I also agree that Tucker and Bowie need to get more PT.
Jimbo

AOL

#15 Feb 15, 2008
on to F$U!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greivis Vasquez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What's it with Maryland-North Carolina games an... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Veener 1
News Team motivated after it is left unranked in the... (Nov '10) Nov '10 richard abramson 2
News Terps launch season of change at Maryland Madness (Oct '10) Oct '10 NCSHADOW 1
News A three, and out (Mar '10) Mar '10 jamie 1
News Maryland-Houston features battle of top guards (Mar '10) Mar '10 riverlanding 1
News Maryland's Vasquez: 'I have to be crazy' (Jan '10) Mar '10 Dont Cry Dookie 2
News Maryland, Vasquez make it work (Dec '09) Dec '09 Milbourne sparks ... 1
More from around the web