Terps' tournament hopes tenuous follo...

Terps' tournament hopes tenuous following Va. Tech loss

There are 7 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 21, 2008, titled Terps' tournament hopes tenuous following Va. Tech loss. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

"NIT ... NIT ... NIT," they yelled. The students were directing their taunts at the Hokies, but they could have been referring to their own Terrapins as well.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Dave

San Diego, CA

#1 Feb 21, 2008
Where's the editor on this? C'mon man, typos, typos!
huh

Baltimore, MD

#2 Feb 21, 2008
I don't see any typos??

Perhaps just mad?
Once again

Westminster, MD

#3 Feb 21, 2008
Vasquez in his sophmore year reminds me a lot of Gilchrest. He has it in his head that he is the supreme talent. If he is lucky they will have a big run in the ACC tourney like the one Gilchrist and team had in 2004. Then he will challenge the coach and everyone next year because he is the reason everything good happens. Vasquez you are a sure lottery pick in 2008 so as quick as possible declare yourself eligible. Thats right the NBA needs you right now!! Go get it fella....
Southern Maryland redneck

Belleville, MI

#4 Feb 21, 2008
Very poor showing indeed. How does a player like Gist score a career high 30 points and then do his Exree Hipp disappearing act the next 3 games? How does the team's best outside shooter go on a 3 game slump when he couldn't drop a baketball into the Chesapeake Bay? Can't any of those coaches teach Greives how to pass the ball inside? Wasn't Gary a point guard? Why don't any of those coaches tell Dave Neal he can't shoot a 3? What is he thinking? And the bench is mid-major talent at best. Gary has no star recruits on the bench to step in and play some quality minutes. The sloppy, uninspired play of the last 3 games finally caught up with them. Gary can do his sarcastic Brian Billick imitation all he wants, but that was the same team that lost to American and Ohio and not the one that beat UNC. Gary's game is getting tired.

Since: Sep 07

Jefferson, MD

#5 Feb 21, 2008
Saw this one coming. Md has long had a tendency vs inferior teams to get an early lead and relax..hey this is in the bag; you can not do that, you get out of sync, lose that edge and then the game.
Its a flaw that is curable, but thats up to Gary.
Also we can lose all three games and still make it, by winning the ACC Tournament or by almost winning it.
You could lose every game of the season and win the ACC tournament and go on, don't think its ever been done.
Can Gary get them focused? I hope so, he is a great Coach.
Once again

Westminster, MD

#6 Feb 21, 2008
Brian Billick! That is a hard one to compare-but not all that unfair in some respects. Neither used a championship run to take a team to a sustained level of elite play, but instead its more of a backdrop toward fat cat retirement. Both coaches teams never came close to playing at the pre championship level again.

Its looking like Billy Hahn and Jimmy Patsos were the key to helping MD under Williams achieve the player development necessary to be in the big dance during the peak. There has been gyrating almost maddening inconsistency ever since both left.
Its really not that interesting any more. Can anyone name a player since 2002 that has developed into a consistent threat? Osby is the closest reminder of what once use to be around.

The last five years have been defined by how and if we beat Duke and Carolina. That seems to be the card. We are ok if the upset happens, still proves the critics wrong.

Hogwash. Williams is 64 and its my guess that Chuck Dreisell came along as another once MD player to take over. Maybe a good thing. Lefty never won a championship but it was always hard play and exciting.
BILL

East Lansing, MI

#7 Feb 21, 2008
Once again wrote:
Brian Billick! That is a hard one to compare-but not all that unfair in some respects. Neither used a championship run to take a team to a sustained level of elite play, but instead its more of a backdrop toward fat cat retirement. Both coaches teams never came close to playing at the pre championship level again.
Its looking like Billy Hahn and Jimmy Patsos were the key to helping MD under Williams achieve the player development necessary to be in the big dance during the peak. There has been gyrating almost maddening inconsistency ever since both left.
Its really not that interesting any more. Can anyone name a player since 2002 that has developed into a consistent threat? Osby is the closest reminder of what once use to be around.
The last five years have been defined by how and if we beat Duke and Carolina. That seems to be the card. We are ok if the upset happens, still proves the critics wrong.
Hogwash. Williams is 64 and its my guess that Chuck Dreisell came along as another once MD player to take over. Maybe a good thing. Lefty never won a championship but it was always hard play and exciting.
You sir are a moron. gary's probelms are recruiting. That nneds to be better but every team he has plays hard. When Billy Hann left we won the national Championship. If pastos is as good as you say why was his job opening Loyola and not a big school. Why hasen't Loyola gone to the tourn. Wednesday was bull shit but you gotta keep faith in Gary. Rememeber what happened last year. Although I doubt you do. Fake ass fan thst you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greivis Vasquez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What's it with Maryland-North Carolina games an... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Veener 1
News Team motivated after it is left unranked in the... (Nov '10) Nov '10 richard abramson 2
News Terps launch season of change at Maryland Madness (Oct '10) Oct '10 NCSHADOW 1
News A three, and out (Mar '10) Mar '10 jamie 1
News Maryland-Houston features battle of top guards (Mar '10) Mar '10 riverlanding 1
News Maryland's Vasquez: 'I have to be crazy' (Jan '10) Mar '10 Dont Cry Dookie 2
News Maryland, Vasquez make it work (Dec '09) Dec '09 Milbourne sparks ... 1
More from around the web