Terps overmatched by No. 9 Gonzaga

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Josh Heytvelt had 22 points and No. 9 Gonzaga beat Maryland, 81-59, on Friday in the semifinals of the Old Spice Classic.
Comments
21 - 34 of 34 Comments Last updated Nov 29, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ron

Sterling Heights, MI

#21 Nov 28, 2008
There is just no excuse for MD not to attract Div 1 players, your are in the ACC, a new building, and yet MD cannot attract topflight players, tiny Wake Forest can get high school all-americas, but not MD, it just doesn't add up.
fkterp

Boca Raton, FL

#22 Nov 29, 2008
Anti Gary wrote:
For all of you idiots and assholes who bashed me yesterday when Maryland won, stand up it take it like men you dumb **** sissies. I don't have to say I told you so because I obviously know more about the game then you do. Ask GW if he had any help today. Ask him why when he dishes off to the likes of Dupree and Milbourne why they can't catch the ball. Ask him why Hayes will never have back to back ok games. I tell you why. Because they are not ready for big time college basketball. I wish you well GV because your coach surely hasn't helped you with any quality players since you've been here. I wish you well Mosley. You better hope that your game won't get ruined by GW. Ask Terrence Morris. Ask Keith Booth why his all around perimeter game turned him into being a 6-4 power forward. Neal had a descent game against Mich State, but came back to his division II game. Get used to it turtle lovers and Gary lovers, after G-Town beats you by double digits on Sunday, the Terps will be back to their normal sorry selves. Hopefully by the Big Ten ACC tournament is over you jerks can go back cheering for Gary's below average team. Like I said, I don't have to say I told you so. Gary and his sorry program will show it to you themselves!!
booth never had a perimeter game, he had abelow average flat jump shot. strickly an inside player. his lack of a perimeter game stopped his pro career short.
fkterp

Boca Raton, FL

#23 Nov 29, 2008
the zags were to big and athletic for the terps. terps couldn't rebound, got impatient in the half court game and took too many bad shots. dupree is a 6'8" 250 lb. softy. and he has no feel for the game. guys drive to the lane and pass to him and the ball goes right thru his hands.. horrible. gary is going to have to play kim more just because he has some length and he probably has to play burney and goins because dupree is a jv player and gregory does nothing but foul. fran frachilla's comments about gary not wanting to recruit is sad. gary makes a couple million dollars a yr. he has to make a real effort to recruit. that's part of his job. no excuse there. if he doesn't want to recruit he's cheating the program.
Buck

Westminster, MD

#24 Nov 29, 2008
Anti Gary wrote:
<quoted text>Loser? You bets believe I know more about basketball than you do. That's why people like you get mad when I state the truth. Gary's program has turned into one of the most disappointing division one programs in the nation and it seems like I am the only one on here besides Bob who realizes that. You idiots hear it from the announcers and analysts on tv. You see it on the court. What else is it going to take for you idiots to realize what's going on?
I have coached basketball for over 20 years - I'll match your basketball wit ounce for ounce and you will still be left in the dust. You have one purpose on here - you're a LOSER, dude. Give it up.
Brad

Westminster, MD

#25 Nov 29, 2008
Everyone needs to remember that we were supposed to have Gus Gilchrist as our starting center this year. He was recruited and even took classes at Md. But when he tried to appeal to get an extra year of eligibility that was denied, his handlers too him to South Florida, where they also got a six figure job on the staff. Crooked handlers cost us the chance at a very good season. The recruiting was done, as it should have been Gus in the middle and Braxton as back-up.

That set the program back for this year, but recruiting big men for next year has already panned out, so if we play like we did on Thursday we will still be in the dance, and then next year back to normal.

By the way, in the last 10 years, MD has the 3rcd best record of all teams, behind only NC and Duke.

Now there's your track record....

Since: Nov 08

Cockeysville, MD

#26 Nov 29, 2008
This isn't about me hating gary or md winning against mich st, or md losing yesterday, i said it last year and i will say it again and again. Dupree and greagory should be lucky to be playing division 3 basketball and not in the ACC. If you fans regardless of how loyal you are to gary can't see that or are blinded by the fact that just because he recruited them , that makes them good then i feel sorry for all of you. They are bust out recruits and there is nothing that is going to change that fact.Md was manhandled on the board last night and that will be there down fall all year long. You will never be expected to shoot 51 percent in your games and when you have a lousy front court like they do you will get buried against stronger teams.
Hate unintelligent fans

Fallston, MD

#27 Nov 29, 2008
IF you're going to make a statement that we are the most dissapointing division 1 program in basketball, at least give me some facts to back that up. I'm pretty sure fans of like NC State or Penn St, etc. would highly disagree with you.

Also, if you think Gary "ruined" this school, you clearly didn't watch MD basketball before he came. He is the reason you have these high expectations. People, please don't believe everything you hear on ESPN, when they talk about recruiting, etc. You honestly think these guys know everything?? Doug Gottleib is nothing but a bitter, no talent ass clown that won NOTHING when he played at Oklahoma St. Gonzaga has been a top ten program for the last decade, he has no clue what he's talking about.

I understand the frustration with losing, but try and put it into perspective what GW has honestly done for the program that nobody else has ever done. If you hate it that much, then just don't watch it, you really have to get a life man, it's just a game.

If you want him gone so bad, at least give us some names that will be a better coach, don't just say fire him, if you know so much about basketball, you should have people in mind.

Also when you're bashing every single player and the team back you're arbitrary opinion with factual evidence, nobody just wants to read stupid rants. I bet if you take a look at the numbers, you might rescind your opinion a little, the numbers don't lie.
Hate unintelligent fans

Fallston, MD

#28 Nov 29, 2008
Ron wrote:
There is just no excuse for MD not to attract Div 1 players, your are in the ACC, a new building, and yet MD cannot attract topflight players, tiny Wake Forest can get high school all-americas, but not MD, it just doesn't add up.
You might be half retarded Ron. Give me one thing Wake Forest has done better than MD in the last 15 years. They had a couple good year with Chris Paul, but never even made it to the sweet 16. Please don't ever make that stupid comment again, it really makes you look like a true dumbASS
Buck

Westminster, MD

#29 Nov 29, 2008
Hate unintelligent fans wrote:
IF you're going to make a statement that we are the most dissapointing division 1 program in basketball, at least give me some facts to back that up. I'm pretty sure fans of like NC State or Penn St, etc. would highly disagree with you.
Also, if you think Gary "ruined" this school, you clearly didn't watch MD basketball before he came. He is the reason you have these high expectations. People, please don't believe everything you hear on ESPN, when they talk about recruiting, etc. You honestly think these guys know everything?? Doug Gottleib is nothing but a bitter, no talent **** clown that won NOTHING when he played at Oklahoma St. Gonzaga has been a top ten program for the last decade, he has no clue what he's talking about.
I understand the frustration with losing, but try and put it into perspective what GW has honestly done for the program that nobody else has ever done. If you hate it that much, then just don't watch it, you really have to get a life man, it's just a game.
If you want him gone so bad, at least give us some names that will be a better coach, don't just say fire him, if you know so much about basketball, you should have people in mind.
Also when you're bashing every single player and the team back you're arbitrary opinion with factual evidence, nobody just wants to read stupid rants. I bet if you take a look at the numbers, you might rescind your opinion a little, the numbers don't lie.
Thank You!!
bmoreboy

Fort Bragg, NC

#30 Nov 29, 2008
Man this anti gary kat is truly lost! Somehow he wondered away from B-more and ended up in DC, Let's hope someone introduces him to the WashingtonPost! And apparently this kat dosn't know basketball as great as he suggests cause what has Syracuse done lately? How about GT? How about Indiana? Arizona? Illinois?.......this dude is a joke! Matter of fact what has Gaytown done lately?! Nothing this year because we WiLL run ya'll off the court!
bmoreboy

Fort Bragg, NC

#31 Nov 29, 2008
Oh i'm sorry. They went to the Final 4 in 07 BUT that was the first time since 85?......85? Where's this great program you speak of chump? Looks like your living in the past! haha Old Men! I bet you tell your grand kids how you had to walk 3 miles to school in the snow with no jacket! Is that right? Just Salute me now

Cockeysville, MD

#32 Nov 29, 2008
Hate unintelligent fans wrote:
Also, if you think Gary "ruined" this school, you clearly didn't watch MD basketball before he came. He is the reason you have these high expectations. People, please don't believe everything you hear on ESPN, when they talk about recruiting, etc. You honestly think these guys know everything?? Doug Gottleib is nothing but a bitter, no talent **** clown that won NOTHING when he played at Oklahoma St. Gonzaga has been a top ten program for the last decade, he has no clue what he's talking about.
If you are talking about me in regards to gregory and dupree i will say that dupree was unmotivated and soft even when he played at calvert hall. Gregory averaged about 9 points a game when he played on a great mt St joe team. Both players just happened to be from the baltimore area where gary was getting hammered for not recruiting hard enough and for letting all the local talent go to other schools.These 2 kids don't belong playing at this level period.
Biff

Annapolis, MD

#33 Nov 29, 2008
lance917 wrote:
This isn't about me hating gary or md winning against mich st, or md losing yesterday, i said it last year and i will say it again and again. Dupree and greagory should be lucky to be playing division 3 basketball and not in the ACC. If you fans regardless of how loyal you are to gary can't see that or are blinded by the fact that just because he recruited them , that makes them good then i feel sorry for all of you. They are bust out recruits and there is nothing that is going to change that fact.Md was manhandled on the board last night and that will be there down fall all year long. You will never be expected to shoot 51 percent in your games and when you have a lousy front court like they do you will get buried against stronger teams.
They were recruited by other schools...

Cockeysville, MD

#34 Nov 29, 2008
Biff wrote:
<quoted text> They were recruited by other schools...
So what does that mean. Then they would have been bust outs at those schools as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greivis Vasquez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's it with Maryland-North Carolina games an... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Veener 1
Team motivated after it is left unranked in the... (Nov '10) Nov '10 richard abramson 2
Terps launch season of change at Maryland Madness (Oct '10) Oct '10 NCSHADOW 1
A three, and out (Mar '10) Mar '10 jamie 1
Maryland-Houston features battle of top guards (Mar '10) Mar '10 riverlanding 1
Maryland's Vasquez: 'I have to be crazy' (Jan '10) Mar '10 Dont Cry Dookie 2
Maryland, Vasquez make it work (Dec '09) Dec '09 Milbourne sparks ... 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Greivis Vasquez People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••