Terps stunned by American

Terps stunned by American

There are 18 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 22, 2007, titled Terps stunned by American. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

American University limited Maryland to five first-half baskets, got 18 points from Derrick Mercer and snapped a 14-game losing streak against the Terrapins with a stunning 67-59 victory Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Ronnie

Cambridge, MD

#1 Dec 22, 2007
To much good talent is leaving the Md-Vir-DC area. Gary must go.These kids are leaving because they don't want to play for him. We got lucky with Juan Dixon. Everybody overlooked him and he fell to Md. That's the only reason we got a title!!
John

AOL

#2 Dec 22, 2007
Hey Graybeard Terp...our saviour (per you) was Neal he looked real good...Gary should really resign this is pitiful I am sorry for the Terp nation
fkterp

Boca Raton, FL

#3 Dec 22, 2007
first in regards to ronnie's comment. juan was the mvp but please don't overlook the rest of the team. we don't win without baxter. we don't win w/o wilcox, or mouton. it takes a team to win it all. give gary credit for believing in dixon. what gary probably needs to do is be more active in recruiting (and i would guess he hates that) and it seems that assistant coaches he currently has are not very good other than i would guess chuckie d. this team has no size, no speed, inconsistent outside shooting and they play very little passion. dupree, plays like he's 5 3 and 125 lbs., gregory is lost on the floor, they both look awful. bowie looks like he should play at howard or towson's jv. milbourne and burney both who have a year here before playing should go home. the best thing md. could hope for is some of these kids leave. what's it say when you have vasquez, hayes, tucker, bowie and already signed for next year mosley, all guards, signing another guard for hutch comm college for next year. if we win 5 games in conference it would be shocking. then again i have followed md b'ball since jerry greenspan played and i never thought they would win an ncaa championship.
PA is for losers

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Dec 22, 2007
More depressing news for sports fans in the State of MD.......
Ravenhaterrr

Baltimore, MD

#5 Dec 22, 2007
Give them time and stop bashing Gary. The whiny terp bashers out already. Go cry over the O's and ravens, but leave my terps alone.
chris

Washington, DC

#6 Dec 22, 2007
If Gary is getting pay like one of the top coach in the country, he needs to recruit like one too. He's too lazy to do the work, playing too much golf during the summer. He needs to go!!!
Anthony

Mooresville, NC

#7 Dec 22, 2007
OK OK OK, i get it. Because the whole state of MD. has dreadful teams & are all last in their respected sport dosnt mean we have to bash them...their just all in last place, thats it.........OK, on a serious note now. First of all Ronnie are u stupid or just ignorant? Dixon, Mouton, Blake, Wilcox, and Baxter...we woulda got to at least the elite 8 without Dixon! but about this year, Gary is not 100% the reason, We must remember that about 4 years ago UNC finished like 2nd to last in the ACC & look where there at now. Same with Duke! So lets not jump the conclusion & bash Gary Williams, we must also remember that next year we are bringing in a shooting guard (from where other than my hometown also known as Charm city) that is being compared to a stronger version of Juan Dixon. Also we're bringin in a juco player that some are comparing to Allen Iverson & a player that is about 6'10! So lets wait & see what happens...
Jacob

Catonsville, MD

#8 Dec 22, 2007
Gary's teams always play scrappy defense, but for the most part, he doesn't draft shooters. He never gets blue-chippers, either. Rudy Gay and Kevin Durrant, two Maryland guys. What does it take to land some of these guys?
Jacob

Catonsville, MD

#9 Dec 22, 2007
recruit shooters
PEM

Towson, MD

#10 Dec 22, 2007
Maryland often plays the worst defense imaginable, especially when they try to press. Maryland's press creates more layups for the opposing team than turnovers.

Although Greivis Vasquez has a lot of potential, he is hurting this team more than he is helping it with his turnovers and helter skelter play. Gary needs to calm him down or bench him.
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Dec 22, 2007
don't forget Jack McClinton who was ACC player of the week for Miami
godevils

Rosedale, MD

#12 Dec 22, 2007
Ravenhaterrr wrote:
Give them time and stop bashing Gary. The whiny terp bashers out already. Go cry over the O's and ravens, but leave my terps alone.
Ha Ha the twerps are horrible again. Take away a few lucky years and they have always been garbage. GO DEVILS!
Sad Terp

Annapolis, MD

#13 Dec 22, 2007
This team flat out sucks. Turn in the Maryland jerseys because you guys dont deserve to wear that uniform. There is no leadership on this team, and Gary obviously will not be able to motivate this team if he couldn't do it after losing to Ohio. James Gist is not a leader and has never lived up to his potential. 20 losses looking more likely after every game.
PA is for losers

Jacksonville, FL

#14 Dec 22, 2007
godevils wrote:
<quoted text> Ha Ha the twerps are horrible again. Take away a few lucky years and they have always been garbage. GO DEVILS!
Wow, that loss against Pitt must have really hurt the other day for you to be on here bashing the Terps. Didn't we beat you last year in Durham? I seem to remember all of the Dukie nerds crying after the game.
hmmmm

Olney, MD

#15 Dec 22, 2007
The troubling part is: Gary's teams don't typically get outworked. There have been plenty of years (mostly early) where the talent simply wasn't there but they put together a couple good wins and always hustled.
But notably with the McCray-Caner Medley-Garrison teams and these guys now, it's pretty strange to see these guys phone it. Talent alone doesn't win - just ask John Calipari. But for some reason, he's not reaching these guys, and that's on him.
Joe blow

Towson, MD

#16 Dec 22, 2007
Gary really leveraged his ncaa championship on the recruiting front--not. what a wasted opp. he is too almighty to lower himself to knock on some blue chips door.
Claude R

Canton, MI

#17 Dec 23, 2007
Players are the problem. Either they get ready to play both mentally and physically or bench them. After they ride the bench long enough ask them to turn in their jerseys. There's to much talent on this team to go 11 minutes against any team without scoring. Gary needs to look the players over and decide which ones are going to ride the bench until he can get rid of them. If there are any aspirations at all among the present players to go to the next level, NBA ball, then they'd better wake up and smell the roses. Teams playing with the intensity demonstrated by Maryland don't attract the attention necessary to get players into the NBA, so players it's up to you. Gary doesn't need to prove he can coach, you players need to prove you're worthy of wearing the Maryland jersey.
All Is Well

Bad Axe, MI

#18 Dec 23, 2007
AU is better. That accounts for the win. Plain and simple...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Derrick Mercer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Terps fall flat vs. American; home skid at 3 (Dec '07) Dec '07 Ugg 22
News Maryland's Landon Milbourne fights for the rebo... (Dec '07) Dec '07 Hondo Handy 1
News State college basketball roundup (Nov '07) Nov '07 Morgan State Police 1
More from around the web