COMMENTARY: Floyd got out while the g...

COMMENTARY: Floyd got out while the going was easy

There are 9 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jun 11, 2009, titled COMMENTARY: Floyd got out while the going was easy. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Tim Floyd fled Los Angeles on Tuesday for the seclusion of his rural home in Mississippi, where he once told me you need to drive 15 miles just to find a grocery store.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Mike Erickson

Corona Del Mar, CA

#1 Jun 11, 2009
Good Riddance Timmy, thanks a LOT!
Goux has tickets for sale

United States

#2 Jun 11, 2009
One cannot blame Floyd alone for this.

It said USC on Mayo's jersey.

Who accepted Mayo's (and Guillory's) Letter of Intent?

Who funded and built Galen Center (with the requisite pressure to fill it with a nationally competitive product)?

Who was responsible for raising the alarm when Guillory was spending his days and nights at Heritage Hall and Galen?

Who was responsible for accepting 22 year old freshmen from Stoneridge Prep (this was prior to the arrilval of Mayo, Guillory et al)?

Who's brand was "at risk"?
Charlie

Memphis, TN

#3 Jun 11, 2009
funny thing is that when you substitute the name Pete Carroll for Tim Floyd, the article still reads about the same.
pkcourt

San Jose, CA

#4 Jun 11, 2009
Lets just face it Mayo wasn't worth it plain and simple, and that team probably would have gone further without Mayo.
Robert

Denver, CO

#5 Jun 11, 2009
I'm a life-long SC fan. But even I wasn't deluded enough to think that Mayo came to USC strictly because of the amazing recruiting ability of Floyd. What's the current tally on OJ's that have been an embarassment for SC?
ZShark

Temecula, CA

#6 Jun 11, 2009
I am from LA and a fan of USC and UCLA - more so UCLA...but this whole situation is frikkin hilarious !
Rocket Scientist

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jun 11, 2009
So the USC haters are suggesting Floyd would throw away his reputation and career for $1,000? Gee, you guys must be brain surgeons.

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#8 Jun 11, 2009
Goux has tickets for sale wrote:
One cannot blame Floyd alone for this.
It said USC on Mayo's jersey.
Who accepted Mayo's (and Guillory's) Letter of Intent?
Who funded and built Galen Center (with the requisite pressure to fill it with a nationally competitive product)?
Who was responsible for raising the alarm when Guillory was spending his days and nights at Heritage Hall and Galen?
Who was responsible for accepting 22 year old freshmen from Stoneridge Prep (this was prior to the arrilval of Mayo, Guillory et al)?
Who's brand was "at risk"?
As much as a USC sports fan as I am, you bring up some excellent questions. I'll wait to hear the administration's answers to them.

There is too much money in sports at all levels these days. I remember when Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale held out in the 60's for $125,000 and $105,000 respectively and those were astronomical figures then.

With scouts looking now at junior high and middle school basketball players, AAU teams, traveling teams, shoe companies and the rest of the leeches out there its amazing more of this type of behavior hasn't been uncovered to this point.

USC should come clean ASAP and if sanctions are in order, deal with it and get on with repairing its damaged reputation.
from the conejo

North Hollywood, CA

#9 Jun 12, 2009
Great column, Scott, but it really does not answer the fundamental questions which are --

How big a hit will USC basketball take from the NCAA? You have to expect sanctions and will they impose terminal sanctions that destroy any hope of USC basketball being competitive for years to come?

Will the problems with the basketball program damage USC's defense of its football program fromt he charges brought against Bush? If the charges against Floyd are to be believed, there is an alarming smell of taint shared by both situations.

Is Mike Garrett up to handling the athletic program? As I recall, Garrett was apparently in on the initial meetings with Mayo and his representatives. Are we to believe that Garrett was completely duped?

Finally, if it is true that Floyd was personally passing out money, the man is too stupid to coach, no less to work in the school cafeteria.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Hackett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Gerrity has found a home at... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Tommy Trojan 1
News USC MEN'S BASKETBALL: Surprise is on everyone b... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Russ 1
News USC basketball picked to finish ninth in Pac-10 (Nov '09) Nov '09 MyBlueFord 2
News Commentary: Lack of ownership troubling for USC (Jun '09) Jul '09 Brew In 8
News USC HOOPS: DeRozan could be a lottery pick (Jun '09) Jun '09 Brew In 3
News USC hire ex-Raptors coach O'Neill (Jun '09) Jun '09 UCLA ROB 10
News Theus not hired at USC, as O'Neill takes over p... (Jun '09) Jun '09 jimbob 3
More from around the web