In the end, Purdue is too strong for ...

In the end, Purdue is too strong for Gophers

There are 50 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 5, 2010, titled In the end, Purdue is too strong for Gophers. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Paul Carter screamed and pounded his chest. Lawrence Westbrook met him at the foul line with a chest bump after Carter's layup gave Minnesota the lead over No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

mike

United States

#21 Jan 6, 2010
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
As soon as [Purdue] face a team with an inside game or that can shoot 14 ft. jumpers (unlike the gophers) they'll be beaten handily.
Uh...they did, Bob. Tennessee and West Virginia. Did you sleep through the NCAA non-conference season? Tennessee in particular was insanely more athletic and Purdue beat them on a neutral court.
Tommy

Eden Prairie, MN

#22 Jan 6, 2010
Diehard Boiler Fan wrote:
Hey Gopher Fans, your team is not that bad!! They play outstanding defense, probably the best Purdue has seen all year. Here is the problem, though some of you don't want to admit it, PURDUE IS THE REAL DEAL!!! We are led by outstanding upperclassmen and we have a great coach. I agree you were shorthanded with Sampson on the bench but we had 4 guys in double figures, one player can't have that big of an impact. And as for Hightower being in our back pocket as posted by "What the Heck", watch the replay. Westbrook not only palmed it, he trapped it against his body, it was actually more a traveling call than palming!! Keep your heads up Gopher nation, I look forward to our rematch at your place!!
I wasnt impressed with your team -If the Gophers would have shot only 45%, they would have won. Purdue repeatedly turned the ball over. They will lose soon. The Gophers are mediocre at best-I wouldnt get too excited about beating an NIT team.
Jimmy D

Eden Prairie, MN

#23 Jan 6, 2010
Hey Gopher Fans, your team is not that bad!! They play outstanding defense, probably the best Purdue has seen all year. Here is the problem, though some of you don't want to admit it, PURDUE IS THE REAL DEAL!!! We are led by outstanding upperclassmen and we have a great coach. I agree you were shorthanded with Sampson on the bench but we had 4 guys in double figures, one player can't have that big of an impact. And as for Hightower being in our back pocket as posted by "What the Heck", watch the replay. Westbrook not only palmed it, he trapped it against his body, it was actually more a traveling call than palming!! Keep your heads up Gopher nation, I look forward to our rematch at your place!!
Go away hick with your condescending drivel. Go milk your cows! The Gophers are terrible just like last year-big deal- you beat a rotten team-you still live in a hellhole.
Steve Tellers

West Concord, MN

#24 Jan 6, 2010
I am sure the Gophers are dissapointed. But Purdue may very well be holding the ultimate trophy in early April,so do not be too discouaged.
Jimmy D

Eden Prairie, MN

#25 Jan 6, 2010
Steve Tellers wrote:
I am sure the Gophers are dissapointed. But Purdue may very well be holding the ultimate trophy in early April,so do not be too discouaged.
Hogwash-Minnesota was pathetic in the 2nd half like they were many times last year. The Gophers are NIT material. It's no big deal to beat them on your home court
Jimmy D

Eden Prairie, MN

#26 Jan 6, 2010
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh...they did, Bob. Tennessee and West Virginia. Did you sleep through the NCAA non-conference season? Tennessee in particular was insanely more athletic and Purdue beat them on a neutral court.
Purdue will make it to the second round and go down in flames. Beating Minnesota at home is nothing to brag about. The Gophers are no better than last year and have no offensive scheme-Tubby got run out of KY for a reason and you saw why last night. Gophers will go to the NIT and do nothing.
Jimmy D

Eden Prairie, MN

#27 Jan 6, 2010
I thought Portland was better than Purdue or even Miami. The Gophers have no offense
yuooo

Eden Prairie, MN

#28 Jan 6, 2010
Get lost-so you beat a pathetic offensive team that is going nowhe3re as usual-so what??
Diehard Boiler Fan

United States

#29 Jan 6, 2010
Well, Gopher Nation, be proud, your fans really are showing their true colors. I have looked at local papers for most of the teams that Purdue has defeated and in every case the fans of the losing team said they lost because they played terrible. Almost never is it because they were outplayed, outclassed and outcoached by a superior Purdue team. In my previous post I tried to give the Gophers a compliment. But now I see that the fans who post here are in no way deserving of a compliment. So, this hick from Purdue will rest in knowing that I don't have to put down other teams. We are 14-0 with marquee wins against top competition and ranked 4th in the nation. Keep your insults, keep your whining and most of all, keep your invitation to the NIT. We will be thinking of you while we are playing in the Final 4 in our backyard in Indianapolis!! Oh and by the way, I will put my hick degree from Purdue up against anything that comes out of Minnesota!! Stay strong Gopher Nation, you are the epitome of consistent mediocrity with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Jan 6, 2010
.....Oh and by the way, I will put my hick degree from Purdue up against anything that comes out of Minnesota!! Stay strong Gopher Nation, you are the epitome of consistent mediocrity with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Yes Purdue has a very good basketball team this year. Built with 4 year players rather than the one and done's of the Ohio State type teams. The fact that you are a fan of this very good Purdue team is not a reflection of you...it doesn't make you smarter or more admired. It just doesn't matter!

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

#32 Jan 7, 2010
Jimmy D wrote:
<quoted text>Go away hick with your condescending drivel. Go milk your cows! The Gophers are terrible just like last year-big deal- you beat a rotten team-you still live in a hellhole.
gee, no anger issues here...WOW!!!!!!!
yuooo

Eden Prairie, MN

#33 Jan 7, 2010
Well, Gopher Nation, be proud, your fans really are showing their true colors. I have looked at local papers for most of the teams that Purdue has defeated and in every case the fans of the losing team said they lost because they played terrible. Almost never is it because they were outplayed, outclassed and outcoached by a superior Purdue team. In my previous post I tried to give the Gophers a compliment. But now I see that the fans who post here are in no way deserving of a compliment. So, this hick from Purdue will rest in knowing that I don't have to put down other teams. We are 14-0 with marquee wins against top competition and ranked 4th in the nation. Keep your insults, keep your whining and most of all, keep your invitation to the NIT. We will be thinking of you while we are playing in the Final 4 in our backyard in Indianapolis!! Oh and by the way, I will put my hick degree from Purdue up against anything that comes out of Minnesota!! Stay strong Gopher Nation, you are the epitome of consistent mediocrity with no light at the end of the tunnel.
So it finally comes out why you come on this board- to be condecending. Yes, we all want to go to Purdue and live in Podunk IN. NOT!!. Gopher BB is mediocre-so you beat them! Who cares? Your football team lost to a pathetic Minnesota team-that does that do for you?. Go away hick!
yuooo

Eden Prairie, MN

#34 Jan 7, 2010
Methinks you have a classic case of an inferiority complex. You come on this board and brag about your team when nobody cares because you beat a very average Minneosta team that nobody thought would win the game anyway. You remind me of all the hick Iowa fans who try to compensate by bragging up their Hawkeyes constantly. Of course what else do you have in Lafayette or Iowa City??. In case you havent noticed , this is a pro sports town-Vikings Twins Wild-nobody cares about Gopher sports which is why their teams are fair to poor constantly. Purdue is boring, their uniforms their coach, their arena the city-who in their right mind would want to live there?
bora bora

Eden Prairie, MN

#35 Jan 7, 2010
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Purdue has a very good basketball team this year. Built with 4 year players rather than the one and done's of the Ohio State type teams. The fact that you are a fan of this very good Purdue team is not a reflection of you...it doesn't make you smarter or more admired. It just doesn't matter!
It other words, who cares? Go over to your own Purdue fan club board and tell each other how great you are because Purdue has a good basketball team.Too bad you live in a dump.
bora bora

Eden Prairie, MN

#36 Jan 7, 2010
Richard wrote:
haha kelly and Phillip MI you hare hilarious. Blake Hoffarber has been lights out this year and you rip him because he only takes 4 shots and stays within the offense. How about Westbrook forcing shots and not playing well????
Purdue is a legit team and their defense is outstanding. I agree the offense in the half court didn't look good at all, but not many teams play defense the way Purdue does. Also this team played with some foul trouble in a hostile eenvironment. They 2-1 in the Big Ten right now and say they win vs OSU...lose at Mich St. and win at Indiana...then they are 4-2 in the Big Ten. Let's not rip the team and if you guys think that being Hoff or a coach is so easy why don't you try it and have everyone rip you. Couple of morons posting...
Typical Gopher apologist. Tubby is clueless on offense, no picks , no movement , no meaningful penetration. Don't you wonder why KY let him go?? It was for his offense-not defense. The Gophers are pathetic
bora bora

Eden Prairie, MN

#37 Jan 7, 2010
Michigan St and Wisconsin are better than your team. by the way, Portland and Miami looked as good as Purdue did or better. The Gophers outrebounded your team and that is not good because MN is the worst rebounding team in memory.Beating Minnesota on your home court is hardly something to be proud of-they arent very good.
bora bora

Eden Prairie, MN

#38 Jan 7, 2010
RonH wrote:
Let's see....14-0..Wins against Tennesee,Alabama,West Virginia,Minnesota,Wake Forrest...I guess Purdue isn't a good team Bob...GET A LIFE,man.There are only 4 unbeaten teams in the entire country.You don't get that by being a so,so team,these are guys are legitimate contenders to win it all this year!!
They were out rebounded by the Gophers who are usually terrible. Purdue shot the ball well and played good defense. Minnesota has no offensive scheme. Tubby is clueless on offense when he faces a strong defense. Purdue wasnt any better than Miami or Portland who both out rebounded us badly. Beating Minnesota is hardly anything to be proud of since they will be playing in the NIT if they are lucky. Why are you on this board?-nobody cares what you think about your Purdue team. Minnesota always loses to Purdue-they are mediocre to poor every year.

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

#39 Jan 7, 2010
bora bora wrote:
<quoted text>They were out rebounded by the Gophers who are usually terrible. Purdue shot the ball well and played good defense. Minnesota has no offensive scheme. Tubby is clueless on offense when he faces a strong defense. Purdue wasnt any better than Miami or Portland who both out rebounded us badly. Beating Minnesota is hardly anything to be proud of since they will be playing in the NIT if they are lucky. Why are you on this board?-nobody cares what you think about your Purdue team. Minnesota always loses to Purdue-they are mediocre to poor every year.
I am shocked at how many of you are roasting this poor guy...and why?...he was making an observation about the Gophers, same as you folks are and everyone is just ripping the poor guy from calling him names, putting down where he lives and all of that...It's a basketball game guys, who cares?..we ALL know that Purdue is twice the team our Gophers are but again, in the grand scheme of things what difference does it make?...give the guy a break..man oh man, settle down......it is almost embarassing.
tiny bubbles

Eden Prairie, MN

#40 Jan 7, 2010
Oh Danny Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am shocked at how many of you are roasting this poor guy...and why?...he was making an observation about the Gophers, same as you folks are and everyone is just ripping the poor guy from calling him names, putting down where he lives and all of that...It's a basketball game guys, who cares?..we ALL know that Purdue is twice the team our Gophers are but again, in the grand scheme of things what difference does it make?...give the guy a break..man oh man, settle down......it is almost embarassing.
A Purdue fan comes on this board and starts bragging about his team and acting as if they did some great thing beating Minneosta and then he makes condescending remarks about MN that they aren't that bad blah blah blah. Then he disparages MN and says his degree is worth more than any MN degree. I say, go on the Purdue fan club board and lie to each other about how great it is to live in Indiana. Go away hick!
unlike sid

Leicester, NC

#41 Jan 7, 2010
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
For a team rated #4 in the country, Purdue's got nothin. Five 6-7 white guys shooting layups and clogging the lane on defense. As soon as they face a team with an inside game or that can shoot 14 ft. jumpers (unlike the gophers) they'll be beaten handily.
I absolutely disagree. I don't know if you have watched other teams in the country but Purdue is a legit top 4 team and considerably more thorough as a team than the likes of Kentucky. The Gophers did exactly what we should have expected for a team that isn't quite there yet, loose in Mackey by a bunch. they should have a could have played better but they didn't, it happens. They likely have the ability to beat anyone else in the big ten but Purdue isn't one of them right now. So if you're extremely frustrated with them it's due to your own inappropriate expectations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chris Kramer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Montgomery's Byrd commits to Purdue (Sep '07) Apr '11 Indiana Baseball Fan 53
News Pacers give ex-Purdue star Chris Kramer a chanc... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Charlene Kessner 1
News Notebook: Northern Iowa taking home weighty sou... (Mar '10) Mar '10 3 Big Ten Teams 1
News Boilers' seniors prepared, willing to give 'any... (Mar '10) Mar '10 vita 1
News Questions linger with loss | BuckeyeXtra (Feb '10) Feb '10 Power 18 111
News Michael Arace commentary: Defeat is hard to bea... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Tim 35
News Purdue makes own noise in beating Washington (Mar '09) Mar '09 reality 6
More from around the web