Asheville CITIZEN-TIMES.com: Ashevill...

Asheville CITIZEN-TIMES.com: Asheville suffers 1st Big South loss

There are 17 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Feb 9, 2008, titled Asheville CITIZEN-TIMES.com: Asheville suffers 1st Big South loss. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

The Liberty men's basketball team shot 68 percent from the field in the second half and became the first team in the Big South Conference to defeat UNC Asheville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

UNCA Alum

Greenville, SC

#1 Feb 9, 2008
Wow, brutal loss for the guys tonight! I had a gut feeling like this was coming sooner or later. Best thing to do is just forget about this one. I hope they got it out of their system because they have two very tough games coming up this week.
Anyone got the latest scoop on Kenny. I know they are trying to keep him rested for down the road, but is there some sort of injury?
Bubba

Woolrich, PA

#2 Feb 9, 2008
Dang,

This was tough one Liberty is undefeated at Vines, but I didn't think we'd lose to by 30.

I hope we bounce back, atleast we still up 2 games, but really don't mean anything since we need the BSC anyway.

-----***Kenny didn't play again, I hope its really just rest.
Basketballknowle dge

Boiling Springs, SC

#3 Feb 10, 2008
Not sure whats up with Kenny, but I know Smithson rolled his ankle early in the game and hobbled around the rest of the time and was ineffective because of it. Hope he is okay

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#4 Feb 10, 2008
Announcement:

To all those people on this forum who live in the Weaverville area. I need your help. A family, which consists of a man and two children, was left homeless Saturday morning by a fire. From his land lord I found out that he is a hardworking guy with no insurance trying to raise his kids alone. He does not drink and is a wonderful tenant. We were able to raise $630.00 dollars yesterday in a short amount of time. I also have a refrigerator, washer and dryer waiting on them when we find them a home. He does not make a lot of money working for minimum wage but does work everyday.

Whether or not you like me or my post, I am asking for some help so we can get this man and his children, ages nine and fourteen back on their feet. I f you would like to help in some way, you may contact me at [email protected]
unca fanatic

Raleigh, NC

#5 Feb 10, 2008
I heard Kenny was having some knee issues. If you noticed him at the game he kept the left knee extended for most of the game. Tough loss for us.
unreal

United States

#6 Feb 10, 2008
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses! Where are your #12 seed National Champs now. Destroyed by 29 points (by a 13-11 team), the real Bullpuppies showed up last night. Bottom line--championship teams win tough games on the road in hostile environments. If they do get lucky and get a #16 seed now I don't think they will host it. Clearly the better team won last night.
FU1time

Hendersonville, NC

#7 Feb 10, 2008
Pssst, ACT - real newspapers send reporters to cover big games involving their hometown college teams. The best UNCA team in years, and the Citizen-Times doesn't even have a writer there in person? That's really, really weak.

Since: Feb 07

Asheville

#8 Feb 10, 2008
FU1time wrote:
Pssst, ACT - real newspapers send reporters to cover big games involving their hometown college teams. The best UNCA team in years, and the Citizen-Times doesn't even have a writer there in person? That's really, really weak.
They probably couldn't get permission to relieve them of TC duty.
Bubba

Woolrich, PA

#9 Feb 10, 2008
We just have to remember we are still up 2 games, we just gotta bounce back.

I hope Smithson is okay.

I rather rest Kenny and his knees now, but I just hope it is rest, I hope its nothing more serious behind a little pain. We need him.

Just bounce back and get healthy. I still think we can get a 13 seed.
GoUNCA

Great Falls, MT

#10 Feb 10, 2008
Tough loss for us. I was disappointed in the lack of hustle. We'll have to bounce back on Wednesday.

Seeding talk is dumb. IF we even get to the tourney the seeding will depend on how the various conference tournaments end up. We need to focus on assuring the NIT birth first.
wnc bball fan

Jacksonville, FL

#11 Feb 10, 2008
any seed is a good seed.
JOT

Lynchburg, VA

#12 Feb 10, 2008
Tough night. The Bulldogs looked tired...and almost had no idea how to defend inside without George.
Dennis Justice

AOL

#13 Feb 10, 2008
Heck, a 16 seed virtually guarantees we play Duke or Carolina in Raleigh in the first round, IMO.
Bubba

Woolrich, PA

#14 Feb 10, 2008
I think UNCA will still make the big the dance. We need to win our conference tournament, thats the only way in.

They are better than a 16. Your setting your hopes low if all you want is an NIT birth.
NC Libertarian

Montvale, NJ

#15 Feb 11, 2008
Brutal loss. Garland and Smithson did not play well, Smithson probably b/c of the aforementioned injury. I knew we were going to have a bad game here sooner or later, but man I hate losing to freakin' Liberty. We need to get George back sooner rather than later. Big game against High Point on Wed.

And at least there's one person in Asheville happy about the loss: Keith Jarrett. You called that one man. I guess he'll get one right eventually if he keeps on predicting us to lose.
basketball Knowledge

United States

#16 Feb 11, 2008
unreal wrote:
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses! Where are your #12 seed National Champs now. Destroyed by 29 points (by a 13-11 team), the real Bullpuppies showed up last night. Bottom line--championship teams win tough games on the road in hostile environments. If they do get lucky and get a #16 seed now I don't think they will host it. Clearly the better team won last night.
Yeah. just like liberty won that tough game at the JUSTICE CENTER RIGHT..oh yeah never mind. hahah. LOSER. you should think before you talk.
Basketball Man

Atlanta, GA

#17 Feb 12, 2008
JOT wrote:
Tough night. The Bulldogs looked tired...and almost had no idea how to defend inside without George.
What a uneducated comment..JOT..where have you been?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anthony Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bulldogs set for TV game (Nov '08) Nov '08 Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 2
News Winthrop, Liberty preseason picks in Big South ... (Oct '08) Oct '08 notafan 2
News UNCA and Liberty is underway | SPORTS | Ashevil... (Mar '08) Mar '08 mlc9852 29
More from around the web