Dwight Howard must take the next step...

Dwight Howard must take the next step toward superstardom

There are 163 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 26, 2009, titled Dwight Howard must take the next step toward superstardom. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

One more win. Now it's up to him. If he wants it, if he really wants it, he must earn it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Kevin in Michigan

Johnstown, PA

#144 May 27, 2009
What do you mean sarcasm? they got it all over ESPN, not some orlando ran news network. showing Mo saying he is guaranteeing the Cavs will win the series.
Breaking news

Lithia, FL

#145 May 27, 2009
23 vs 24. Lebron vs. Bryant.
Location: Lebron's house.
When: 1 week from now.
Coverage: ESPN

Dream came true!
Lester

Orlando, FL

#146 May 27, 2009
Mike, all I, have to say is I, think you are one of the greatest sport writer of all times. I, would read your things all day and all night , Mike , and just keep laughing.You are so good at what you do Mike.
Lester.
Kevin

Johnstown, PA

#147 May 27, 2009
Kobe will always be better than Lebron. Why is it when Lebron scores 40 points, they say it's cause he is a great player, but when Kobe does it, they call him a selfish ball hog?

I just guess LeBron does alot better job at charming an audience watching the tv than Kobe does, who is much more reserved and doesn't show much emotion.

Everytime this year when the Lakers played the Cavs. And Kobe guarded Lebron. Guess what happened??? kobe had better numbers that night than Lebron AND the Lakers wong
eric310

Nashville, TN

#148 May 27, 2009
jimmy wrote:
Dwight is not in the same league as those tow other players. Its a stupid argument and really amazing that a sports writer would make that comparison? You know very little about sports and more about soap opera drama. I am a magic and Dhow fan, but
if you make Dhow 6' tall, he does not even play in the NBA, if you make Lebron and Kobe 5'10" they are still awesome ball players.
Trouble with you is, you don;t understand the difference. They have complete games and Dhow does not. Do you understand now
I dont even know how to respond to this retard's nonsense .
Nole4life

Leesburg, FL

#149 May 27, 2009
I'm a die-hard Magic fan but do believe that Lebron,Kobe,Wade are the three best players in the league. That being said D12 is not far behind, think about the Magic players individually and none stand out as good/great defensive players but they finished as the #1 defensive efficiency team in the league. D12 is the best defensive player in the league yet still manages to average 20+ppg and still yet has to completely refine his offensive game. When D12 hones his offensive skills and makes his free throws consistently his #s could resemble 30+ppg, 15rpg, 4bpg, 5apg. I have complete confidence that he will improve in every area of the game (still just 23 years old), and when he does he will become the best player on the planet. The old cliche that offense wins games, defense wins championships still holds true just ask the 08' Lakers, and as long as you have a defensive anchor like D12 patroling the paint you've got a chance. Bianchi is right, just look at the history of the league and you will see that more great big men have won rings than perimeter players. In the NFL, if you have dominant offensive/defensive lines, you can put lesser talented skill players around them and still be somewhat dominant, and when the reverse happens its a disaster. Championship teams are built from the inside-out not the other way around and that why the cavs are losing this series, as great as LJ is the cavs are weak upfront. D12 needs to start receiving more recognition for what he brings his team. Rashard Lewis was putting up good offensive numbers in Seattle on bad teams playing little/no defense, and Turkoglu was nowhere near as effective before coming here to play with D12. Pietrus couldn't even get off the bench on a terrible Golden State team last season, and Rafer Alston was traded mid-season b/c the rockets thought that they were better off w/o him. D12 has ressurrected/saved than AARP.
tom

Cleveland, OH

#150 May 27, 2009
Kevin in Michigan wrote:
What do you mean sarcasm? they got it all over ESPN, not some orlando ran news network. showing Mo saying he is guaranteeing the Cavs will win the series.
i heard it too. the reporter asked mo if he was guaranteeing a win. mo replied by repeating the question, like "am i guaranteeing a win?" and then he said "yeah yeah" in a sort of "yeah, whatever" kind of tone. mo never came out and said anything like "i am guaranteeing a win." it was the reporter goading him with a loaded question and then turning it into a story.
sickandtired

Winter Garden, FL

#151 May 27, 2009
scott wrote:
Howard had FOUR points in the second half!! That's the next great superstar??
If Delonte West corrals that loose ball after Pietrus' missed 3 in the final seconds, this series is tied and Howard would go down as the leading reason for their failure. Oh and Howard played all 24 minutes of the second half too, he just disappeared from the stat book.
Tell me the last NBA superstar that was so one dimensional? Can't shoot free throws, can't shoot beyond 5 feet, can't pass, routinely is in the top 5 in the league in turnovers despite being a center, and is always a league leader in fouls committed.
He's a poor man's Shaq.
The Magic may win this series, but credit their perimeter shooters NOT the man spending 5 seconds in the paint every possession.
Waah!Waah! Waah
Paul

Wakefield, MA

#152 May 27, 2009
What a minor-league hack this Bianchi is. Wow. You can extol the virtues of Dwight Howard all you want (get back to me when he can consistently make a shot other than a dunk), but to do so at the expense of LeBron -- the most gifted player the league has ever seen -- is beyond absurd. Also, I don't think Nike's marketing people are losing any sleep
j3r3mywithaj

United States

#153 May 27, 2009
remember 2003 wrote:
95.6 of teams up 3-1 went on to win best of seven series...the magic was one of the few who didnt
they will remember 2003
they will choke again
www.walkingsaloonpictures.com
Renegade Thunder

East Berlin, CT

#154 May 27, 2009
Screw the Lebron puppet. Send in a Magic TEAM of puppets!!!
lorenzo

Orlando, FL

#155 May 27, 2009
Excellent artice Bianchi, im starting to like you..
Tejas

Sydney, Australia

#156 May 27, 2009
you are facing wrote:
<quoted text>
perhaps, but LBJ took a weak shot the play before which gave the ball back, and his 7 TO's didn't help either.
let's face it, the Cavs defense is being shredded, and those bounces are not going thier way - they gave up open shots to DET & ATL, they just packed in the D. well, the Magic invite that and make you pay.
people need to realize that the cavs could have had sahq for wally and a draft pick, and let that go since they wanted to dump wallace.
looking like that non-move, and the cavs overall lack of an inside presence will determine thier fate this year.
they will go after tyson chandler, Z is getting slower by the minute...
I don't see the Magic getting past Denver - more athletic, better perimter and interior defense - But things are changing right before our very eyes - see DH's free throws for an example - Kudo's to the Magic.
3-1 lead is the fact, hard to face, but it is what it is.
count out the lakers already have you? they have the most talented team in the NBA. there up 3-2 and they are NOT a one man team like the cavs have been playing
Nick

Tucson, AZ

#157 May 28, 2009
You need to open your eyes and take off the Magic colored glasses. Your stuff is getting hard to read since you're so much of a homer.

I agree the Magic are getting the bigger shots when they need to at the end of these games against Cleveland. I'll also agree that Dwight is arguably the best big man in the league. But he is limited as a basketball player compared to a LeBron. Dwight is a "post player" keep reminding yourself of that. I like Dwight as a player - I'm not a hater. You need to take off your "fan" hat and look at this from a pure Basketball point of reference.

1) LeBron can run point - Dwight cannot
2) LeBron is a better ball handler
3) LeBron is a better passer
4) LeBron is a better shooter outside of 5 Ft
5) IMO Bron is a better finisher at the rim

Dwight is a better rebounder and post player. He will rarely if ever come close to a triple double. LeBron has many more dimensions to his game.

Switch Superstars. Put LeBron on the Magic and Dwight on the Cavs team. I's not even a close series - game over.

Dwight is a great player, but he's not the all around player that a Jorden, Kobe and a LeBron are. Sorry. That's not to say that Dwight won't win 6 NBA titles to LeBron's 0, 1, or 2....
BiGT

United States

#158 May 28, 2009
Why isn't anyone looking at Lebron James elbowing Pietrus in the face? Shouldn't that be a one game suspension?

... it makes me ill seeing every call going towards these Cleveland Travelers.
The Living Tribunal

United States

#159 May 28, 2009
Tejas wrote:
<quoted text>
count out the lakers already have you? they have the most talented team in the NBA. there up 3-2 and they are NOT a one man team like the cavs have been playing
The Cavs haven't been playing a one-man team.
NBA Referee

Orlando, FL

#160 May 28, 2009
"Dwight Howard must take the next step toward superstardom"

If he does, I will call him for traveling.
The Living Tribunal

United States

#161 May 28, 2009
Nick wrote:
You need to open your eyes and take off the Magic colored glasses. Your stuff is getting hard to read since you're so much of a homer.
I agree the Magic are getting the bigger shots when they need to at the end of these games against Cleveland. I'll also agree that Dwight is arguably the best big man in the league. But he is limited as a basketball player compared to a LeBron. Dwight is a "post player" keep reminding yourself of that. I like Dwight as a player - I'm not a hater. You need to take off your "fan" hat and look at this from a pure Basketball point of reference.
1) LeBron can run point - Dwight cannot
2) LeBron is a better ball handler
3) LeBron is a better passer
4) LeBron is a better shooter outside of 5 Ft
5) IMO Bron is a better finisher at the rim
Dwight is a better rebounder and post player. He will rarely if ever come close to a triple double. LeBron has many more dimensions to his game.
Switch Superstars. Put LeBron on the Magic and Dwight on the Cavs team. I's not even a close series - game over.
Dwight is a great player, but he's not the all around player that a Jorden, Kobe and a LeBron are. Sorry. That's not to say that Dwight won't win 6 NBA titles to LeBron's 0, 1, or 2....
Here we go with the Dwight and Lebron comparisons. They play different positions so you can't really compare. I can play your little comparison game too.

1. Sorry, Dwight is the better finisher at the rim.
2. D12 is a better rebounder.
3. D12 is a better shot-blocker.
4. D12 is a better defender.
5. Lebron has triple-double potential,
but Dwight AVERAGES a double-double, and has had triple-doubles.

All your points are valid, but history predicates that championships are won with defense(Dwight), and rebounding(Dwight again). Having an all-around great player like LBJ is good, but he can't carry Tim Duncan's jock. One more thing, a true fan of basketball would NEVER spell JORDAN's name wrong!!!
ron

Windermere, FL

#162 May 28, 2009
I think Mike from Cleveland is actually Mike Bianchi
nick

Mount Airy, MD

#163 May 28, 2009
The Living Tribunal wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go with the Dwight and Lebron comparisons. They play different positions so you can't really compare. I can play your little comparison game too.
1. Sorry, Dwight is the better finisher at the rim.
2. D12 is a better rebounder.
3. D12 is a better shot-blocker.
4. D12 is a better defender.
5. Lebron has triple-double potential,
but Dwight AVERAGES a double-double, and has had triple-doubles.
All your points are valid, but history predicates that championships are won with defense(Dwight), and rebounding(Dwight again). Having an all-around great player like LBJ is good, but he can't carry Tim Duncan's jock. One more thing, a true fan of basketball would NEVER spell JORDAN's name wrong!!!
Give me a break about the misspell...

Read the article again - the dude is comparing Dwight to LeBron - hence my response.

You basically agreed with me. You listed reasons why Dwight is a better post player than LeBron. I agree. But I won't give Dwight such an advantage as being the best defensive player. LeBron put down some D this year. Dwight swats shots and protects the rim like no other and thus he's voted defensive POY.

Since you want to compare, Ok - you start your team with Duncan (he's a great big), I'll start mine with LeBron.

Sorry man - I do agree with the guy far above who said that LeBron, Kobe and Wade are the 3 with Dwight a bit behind.

I also agree that defense and rebounds win titles. You cetainly can't be suggesting that the Cavs didn't rebound and play D this season?? The play team D while the Magic don't have to so much with Howard roaming the middle.

This writer and alot of these Magic fans act like Orlando has taken Cleveland apart. Hell no - I've watched the games as an NBA fan. Game 3 was the only one that wasn't in doubt in the last few seconds. If you could make a team in the lab to beat that Cleveland team that won 66 games you would construct the Orlando Magic. Horrible match-up for the Cavs. For the last few years the Cavs have needed an athletic big who can play D above the rim and score a little. This series also shows they need a longer defensive athlete on the perimeter as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Antonio Spurs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA Rumors: Adam Silver Preparing to Ban Hack-a... (Apr '15) Jul '15 Fart news 5
News Doris Burke discusses Popovich interview that l... (May '14) Jan '15 Sadie 2
News Ryan Hollins Says San Antonio Spurs Are Interes... (Sep '14) Sep '14 tedeze 1
News NBA Finals all even, though games haven't been,... (Jun '13) Jul '14 go now 3
News Heat, not Spurs, is early favorite to win 2015 ... (Jun '14) Jul '14 ing 4
spurs suck! (May '06) Jun '14 The Observer 201
News Charles Barkley praises Dallas women while pick... (May '14) May '14 Raquel 1
More from around the web