Dwight Howard must take the next step toward superstardom

One more win. Now it's up to him. If he wants it, if he really wants it, he must earn it. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
remember 2003

Winter Garden, FL

#2 May 26, 2009
95.6 of teams up 3-1 went on to win best of seven series...the magic was one of the few who didnt

they will remember 2003
they will choke again
Magic Man

Orlando, FL

#3 May 26, 2009
remember 2003 wrote:
95.6 of teams up 3-1 went on to win best of seven series...the magic was one of the few who didnt
they will remember 2003
they will choke again
So what you're saying is...Orlando is not as good as the Orlando team of 2003 and Cleveland is as good as Detroit? You're kidding yourself dude. Is this what you're reduced to to give yourself hope??
MUTiger0618

Orlando, FL

#4 May 26, 2009
Was there for game 4. I witnessed a beating of the chosen one.. C YA Cleveland
MUTiger0618

Orlando, FL

#5 May 26, 2009
Magic fans.......entertain yourselves by reading Cleveland sports PLUTO columns. THEIR fans have already died and began pulling dirt onto their own coffins. What a bunch of defeatists. If you go back to reaction to Barkley's original prediction and follow them through their meltdown........you will laugh your keisters off
jimmys

Poulsbo, WA

#6 May 27, 2009
MUTiger0618 wrote:
Magic fans.......entertain yourselves by reading Cleveland sports PLUTO columns. THEIR fans have already died and began pulling dirt onto their own coffins. What a bunch of defeatists. If you go back to reaction to Barkley's original prediction and follow them through their meltdown........you will laugh your keisters off
LOL..The Majority of them are now blaming Lebron for them losing. HAHA. Before the series started all we heard was how Orlando didn't stand a chance and that it was going to be over in 4. Now they are all bickering and giving up on their team. To be fair though, they kinda sound like we did after back to back loses and facing elimination to Boston. The difference is we have a actual team and don't relie on 1 player to do it all. I kind of feel bad for LJ. He's on a team of role players and stars of yesteryear. Great win tonight. These games have been close, but champions pull out close games. Go Magic!

Since: May 09

Saint Cloud, FL

#7 May 27, 2009
Yes I do remember 2003 and T-Mac and the whole 3 games to 1 choke job. Therefore it is imperative that the Magic do not let up on these guys.

Tonight the Magic came out too relaxed for their own good it seemed. Hopefully that will not be the case in game 5.

It will be real easy to go into game 5 over relaxed thinking that "hey even if we lose we will go back home for game 6".

It is thinking like that which will result in a game 5 loss for sure.

Just play a FULL 48 minutes with FOCUS and INTENSITY, especially on defense, and everything should be just fine.
scott

Aurora, IL

#8 May 27, 2009
Howard had FOUR points in the second half!! That's the next great superstar??

If Delonte West corrals that loose ball after Pietrus' missed 3 in the final seconds, this series is tied and Howard would go down as the leading reason for their failure. Oh and Howard played all 24 minutes of the second half too, he just disappeared from the stat book.

Tell me the last NBA superstar that was so one dimensional? Can't shoot free throws, can't shoot beyond 5 feet, can't pass, routinely is in the top 5 in the league in turnovers despite being a center, and is always a league leader in fouls committed.

He's a poor man's Shaq.

The Magic may win this series, but credit their perimeter shooters NOT the man spending 5 seconds in the paint every possession.
nanningbob

Dublin, Ireland

#9 May 27, 2009
scott wrote:
Howard had FOUR points in the second half!! That's the next great superstar??
If Delonte West corrals that loose ball after Pietrus' missed 3 in the final seconds, this series is tied and Howard would go down as the leading reason for their failure. Oh and Howard played all 24 minutes of the second half too, he just disappeared from the stat book.
Tell me the last NBA superstar that was so one dimensional? Can't shoot free throws, can't shoot beyond 5 feet, can't pass, routinely is in the top 5 in the league in turnovers despite being a center, and is always a league leader in fouls committed.
He's a poor man's Shaq.
The Magic may win this series, but credit their perimeter shooters NOT the man spending 5 seconds in the paint every possession.
HUH?????????? 27 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, 4 assists, 7-9 from the FT line and this is your intelligent comment.......... snicker..... lol ........ boy are you a joke.....
nanningbob

Dublin, Ireland

#10 May 27, 2009
Dwightmare.......... I like that.
Nevermind

Melbourne, FL

#11 May 27, 2009
I have no crystal ball available that tells me what will happen in the next game between Orlando and Cleveland, but I do know this team will not melt the way the McGrady team did in 2003. If Lebron and company come back it will be an uphill battle the whole way. The attitude of McGrady with a 3-1 lead was to talk about how great it was to be in the second round. Dwight and all the other Magic men this time are talking about the next game and the ultimate goal of winning a championship. This team can be beaten, but they will not quit.
Kyle

Round Lake, IL

#12 May 27, 2009
That Technical Foul Called on Dwight Howard was Crap. He was just celebrating that he made the shot just like many other players did that night. I hope the nba retracts that call it was a bad one.
Ron

Chicago, IL

#13 May 27, 2009
Mike,

A reasonable argument can be made that Dwight is the better BASKETBALL superstar than Lebron. To me, Dwight is a better team player. Lebron is more selfish than Dwight. Last night provided some good examples, but it's been pretty consistent throughout the series. Lebron tries to get his teammates involved in the first half, which is the time of game the Cavs have given the Magic the most problems. But once the second half rolls around, Lebron takes a page from Me-mac's (as you not so delicately call him) M.O. and demands the ball. Thus, LBJ creates a predictable offense of repeated one-on-ones. Is it truly because his teammates are no good that he does this? Or is it because he simply thinks of himself and his touches nearing the end of games. Dwight, on the other hand, is more flexible and doesn't always demand the ball late in games. He'll set picks, rebound, block shots, etc....even nearing the end of games. On any night, when the game is on the line late in the fourth, Dwight has contributed in different ways: his scoring, his rebounding, his blocked shots and (as in game 3) his free throws. Dwight Howard is a better BASKETBALL superstar than Lebron James! I hope they finish off Cleveland and win the championship so that Howard gets this kind of recognition. And I hope it begins a long run of championships led by a player who makes the whole team better from tipoff.....to the final buzzer.
mike

Cleveland, OH

#14 May 27, 2009
jimmys wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL..The Majority of them are now blaming Lebron for them losing. HAHA. Before the series started all we heard was how Orlando didn't stand a chance and that it was going to be over in 4. Now they are all bickering and giving up on their team. To be fair though, they kinda sound like we did after back to back loses and facing elimination to Boston. The difference is we have a actual team and don't relie on 1 player to do it all. I kind of feel bad for LJ. He's on a team of role players and stars of yesteryear. Great win tonight. These games have been close, but champions pull out close games. Go Magic!
thats not true at all. nobody is blaming lebron. lebron is the reason the cavs could very well have won every game so far.
fan since day 1

Atlantic City, NJ

#15 May 27, 2009
Another great commentary Mike! Even Mike and Mike were talking about it this morning, and of course they disputed your claims (big surprise).......one more win, and the Magic shed the Rodney Dangerfield act!! GO MAGIC!!
mike

Cleveland, OH

#16 May 27, 2009
scott wrote:
Howard had FOUR points in the second half!! That's the next great superstar??
If Delonte West corrals that loose ball after Pietrus' missed 3 in the final seconds, this series is tied and Howard would go down as the leading reason for their failure. Oh and Howard played all 24 minutes of the second half too, he just disappeared from the stat book.
Tell me the last NBA superstar that was so one dimensional? Can't shoot free throws, can't shoot beyond 5 feet, can't pass, routinely is in the top 5 in the league in turnovers despite being a center, and is always a league leader in fouls committed.
He's a poor man's Shaq.
The Magic may win this series, but credit their perimeter shooters NOT the man spending 5 seconds in the paint every possession.
not only that, but that really should have been a loose-ball foul on dwight.
mike

Cleveland, OH

#17 May 27, 2009
Ron wrote:
Mike,
A reasonable argument can be made that Dwight is the better BASKETBALL superstar than Lebron. To me, Dwight is a better team player. Lebron is more selfish than Dwight. Last night provided some good examples, but it's been pretty consistent throughout the series. Lebron tries to get his teammates involved in the first half, which is the time of game the Cavs have given the Magic the most problems. But once the second half rolls around, Lebron takes a page from Me-mac's (as you not so delicately call him) M.O. and demands the ball. Thus, LBJ creates a predictable offense of repeated one-on-ones. Is it truly because his teammates are no good that he does this? Or is it because he simply thinks of himself and his touches nearing the end of games. Dwight, on the other hand, is more flexible and doesn't always demand the ball late in games. He'll set picks, rebound, block shots, etc....even nearing the end of games. On any night, when the game is on the line late in the fourth, Dwight has contributed in different ways: his scoring, his rebounding, his blocked shots and (as in game 3) his free throws. Dwight Howard is a better BASKETBALL superstar than Lebron James! I hope they finish off Cleveland and win the championship so that Howard gets this kind of recognition. And I hope it begins a long run of championships led by a player who makes the whole team better from tipoff.....to the final buzzer.
there is no reasonable argument that dwight is a better basketball player than dwight. lebron selfish? seriously?
mike

Cleveland, OH

#18 May 27, 2009
Ron wrote:
Mike,
A reasonable argument can be made that Dwight is the better BASKETBALL superstar than Lebron. To me, Dwight is a better team player. Lebron is more selfish than Dwight. Last night provided some good examples, but it's been pretty consistent throughout the series. Lebron tries to get his teammates involved in the first half, which is the time of game the Cavs have given the Magic the most problems. But once the second half rolls around, Lebron takes a page from Me-mac's (as you not so delicately call him) M.O. and demands the ball. Thus, LBJ creates a predictable offense of repeated one-on-ones. Is it truly because his teammates are no good that he does this? Or is it because he simply thinks of himself and his touches nearing the end of games. Dwight, on the other hand, is more flexible and doesn't always demand the ball late in games. He'll set picks, rebound, block shots, etc....even nearing the end of games. On any night, when the game is on the line late in the fourth, Dwight has contributed in different ways: his scoring, his rebounding, his blocked shots and (as in game 3) his free throws. Dwight Howard is a better BASKETBALL superstar than Lebron James! I hope they finish off Cleveland and win the championship so that Howard gets this kind of recognition. And I hope it begins a long run of championships led by a player who makes the whole team better from tipoff.....to the final buzzer.
youre writing about the classic double standard. if a superstar takes over, hes selfish. if he doesnt, he's labeled soft or a loser. besides, your argument is specious at best. isnt this the same dwight howard who after a loss against the celtics threw his coach under the bus and "demanded" that he get the ball more? lebron has never once in his career complained through the media that he doesnt get the ball enough - unlike dwight has. im not trying to take anything away from howard - hes a no doubt superstar. but any argument that lebron is "selfish" is just plain ignorant.
jimmy

United States

#19 May 27, 2009
Dwight is not in the same league as those tow other players. Its a stupid argument and really amazing that a sports writer would make that comparison? You know very little about sports and more about soap opera drama. I am a magic and Dhow fan, but
if you make Dhow 6' tall, he does not even play in the NBA, if you make Lebron and Kobe 5'10" they are still awesome ball players.
Trouble with you is, you don;t understand the difference. They have complete games and Dhow does not. Do you understand now
OkieNole

Omaha, NE

#20 May 27, 2009
This Orlando team is a far cry from the 2003 team! These players have proven that they can play through diversity. This coach won't stop coaching until the game is over, and even then he still coaches. Our bench is as strong as any bench I have seen in quite a long time. I believe very strongly that we will take one more game out of the 3 remaining.
Eric

Gainesville, GA

#21 May 27, 2009
" but any argument that lebron is "selfish" is just plain ignorant."

I actually completely agree. I've been a die-hard Magic fan from their start, but I think LeBron is a great example of a superstar that isn't selfish. When the Cavs play well (the Magic just seem to always have their number), LeBron has countless assists, makes terrific plays, a la Magic Johnson. The problem in this series is that the Magic players have disabled so many of the Cavs' players that LeBron is forced to have to take over the offense in order for them to win.

There is no question that the Magic get piss poor respect. In each series it's been excuses about the other teams on the broadcasts. The truth is pretty simple, the Magic are darn good. So when the Magic make the Finals will the story be that they are an excellent team or will we hear constant excuses about the Sixers, Celtics, and Cavs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Antonio Spurs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryan Hollins Says San Antonio Spurs Are Interes... Sep 21 tedeze 1
NBA Finals all even, though games haven't been,... (Jun '13) Jul '14 go now 3
Heat, not Spurs, is early favorite to win 2015 ... Jul '14 ing 4
spurs suck! (May '06) Jun '14 The Observer 201
Doris Burke discusses Popovich interview that l... May '14 R Caldwell 1
Charles Barkley praises Dallas women while pick... May '14 Raquel 1
Parker leaves with tight hamstring, won't return May '14 Emily 1

San Antonio Spurs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE