Minnesota Timberwolves' Kevin Love, Sebastian Telfair could sta...

Full story: TwinCities.com

Timberwolves coach Randy Wittman said he thought it energized his team when he brought rookie forward Kevin Love and backup point guard Sebastian Telfair off the bench in the first quarter of Wednesday night's ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
jbird

Grand Forks, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

starting lineup should be:
G. Telfair
G. Miller
F. Brewer
F. Love
C. Jefferson

unemployment line: everyone but gomes and mccants
john - new york

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

Judged:

I don't know any reason why our best players are not starting every night!!!! This isn't brain surgery! Brewer can't shoot or make layups, Foye can't make layups (it's like 1-16 on layups or something!!!), McCants is the ONLY player we have on our team that can CREATE offense not only for himself, but for other players and his defense this year has been excellent. On ANY other team this kid is a starter!!!! The same with LOVE and he just got here! AVERY JOHNSON for Coach of the year!!!!

Telfair (or foye if he comes out of the slump)
McCants
Miller
Love
Jefferson

Brewer's defense allowed Tony Parker 55 points and 10 assists last game. That was also a coaching error for 58 minutes (2 overtimes) keeping him assigned to Tony the entire game. Terrible. And then, let's not play our second leading scorer the entire game, but run a play for him after he sits for 30 minutes just for the heck of it.

You can't make this stuff up!!!!!!!
john - new york

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

Judged:

McCants is the ONLY guy we have in the backcourt that can consistently break a defense down. Everyone else on our team is a jump shooter FIRST!!! Gomes, Foye (he can't finish this year), Brewer, Miller, etc, etc... jump shooters FIRST. McCants can drive the lane, Shoots over 40% from 3point land, and can take a guy on the block.

This not only creates opportunities for himself, but also for the other 4 players (if you need help understanding this, watch a Kobe Bryant game as he drives the lane, and dishes, or scores from anywhere as well).

McCants is still young (this is really his second season, and last season was his first full season). He was hurt before, or on the bench because of Dwayne Casey. The only teams McCants doesn't start for, are teams that stocked with superstars (i.e. BOSTON).

It's really great to be able to say that McCants was one of the top 3 'SIXTH' men in the league, but that really doesn't make sense when it comes to maximizing potential... especially for a 24 year old!!!
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Judged:

john - new york,

Settle down big fella. McCants? "his defense this year has been excellent"??? What games are you watching my friend? McCants hardly even tries when the ball is on the defensive end. The other night someone stole the ball from him and he didn't even turn around and run downcourt to see if he could get in on the play.

Now a lot of what you say about McCants' offense is true. He can take the ball to the hole and he can create his own shot, which most of the others cannot do. The reason that he doesn't play more is twofold. One reason is the aforementioned disdain for defense, the second is that he doesn't want to move the ball. Wittman has had it with the ball being swung around to McCants and then having McCants jack up a 22 foot jumpshot with 12 seconds left on the shot clock.

This is McCants' fourth season. He was injured part of one season, which means that there were two-plus years where he was healthy. There are numerous teams that he doesn't start for, in fact he doesn't start for hardly any of them.

A good portion of what you wrote is true, especially about McCants' offensive skills. He doesn't play more due to a disinterested attitude in defense and a selfish attitude on offense. He is wasting his talent with a Stephon Marbury-like "me first" attitude.
the hard truth

Bemidji, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Judged:

An excellent forum this far. Thanks, those of you above me. It's great to read intelligent observations rather than nitwit rants. For myself, I'd like to see how the McCants off the bench experiment works before putting him in the starting lineup. He could be McCants the Microwave, much like Vinnie in the old days. Yet I understand the desire to see someone on the court who breaks down the defense. Still, the old adage applies -- a slow pass is faster than the fastest player. If we can rebound and run the court in a reasonable fashion, the Telfair/Love/Jefferson/Brewer/ Miller group might just work. The real question is what to do with Foye? Tonight's game will be a painful reminder of opportunities lost, and I, for one, dread watching it.
road

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Judged:

I agree with fracas--McCants is not a team player--a great athlete yes but he does not make others around him better. When he slashes for the basket, it is meant for him not to dish an assist.

I think the real problem is McFAIL. He is the laughing stock of the league and he will never get fired. See the headlines from last nite? Brandon Roy again wins it for the blazers. WTF was that trade for Foye--for a swap of picks and---1 million dollars? What? The rookie of the year and an upcoming superstar we drafted given to Portland for Foye?
Yeeesh. Mcfail just stinks and he needs to go. Wolves basketball is a hard sell right now.

One last point, although I hated the trade for Mayo-Love is becoming one of my favorite players with his hustle and grit.

2 last points--Mario Chalmers--wolves drafted him 1st pick int he second round--McFail traded him for some Euro we have never heard of and will not be here for years--and what is Chalmers doing? Starting for Miami as a rookie and set a miami record for 9 steal in a game. And he is dishing the ball like no ones business. nice move once again.

“GO DUCKS!”

Since: Aug 07

Portland, Oregon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

I have been watching KLOVE play since he was in the 3rd grade.

I promise you this - KLOVE will make fans in Minnesota very happy over the next 10 seasons.

I think Whitman has to go for the team to show improvement.

The 5th pick in the draft who has a multiple skill set and a nose for the ball should not be on the bench to start the game.

KLOVE will be in the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR DISCUSSIONS BY SEASON END.
NoBS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

KLOVE4ROY
diehard Wolves fan

Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

starting lineup should be:

Telfair (or foye if he comes out of the slump)
McCants
Miller
Love
Jefferson

NEWSFLASH to Kevin McHale--
Flip Saunders (the best Wolves coach in history) is still out there!
mark t

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Foye is a bust. Telfair adds energy and he should start the rest of the year. Love is clearly better than Craig Smith or Gomes. So he should start as well. The problem is they both lack size. Both of them will struggle defensively. But this is a sub 500 team. So we will have to wait for another draft or two to bring us a point guard and Center. Were getting there. Love, Jefferson, and Miller are legitimade NBA starters. Three is not nearly enough to get us into the playoff's.
What you talking about

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

road wrote:
I agree with fracas--McCants is not a team player--a great athlete yes but he does not make others around him better. When he slashes for the basket, it is meant for him not to dish an assist.
I think the real problem is McFAIL. He is the laughing stock of the league and he will never get fired. See the headlines from last nite? Brandon Roy again wins it for the blazers.**** was that trade for Foye--for a swap of picks and---1 million dollars? What? The rookie of the year and an upcoming superstar we drafted given to Portland for Foye?
Yeeesh. Mcfail just stinks and he needs to go. Wolves basketball is a hard sell right now.
One last point, although I hated the trade for Mayo-Love is becoming one of my favorite players with his hustle and grit.
2 last points--Mario Chalmers--wolves drafted him 1st pick int he second round--McFail traded him for some Euro we have never heard of and will not be here for years--and what is Chalmers doing? Starting for Miami as a rookie and set a miami record for 9 steal in a game. And he is dishing the ball like no ones business. nice move once again.
I enjoy watching Love play as well. His basketball I.Q. is incredible. Not to correct you, but we drafted Mario Chalmers with our 2nd second round pick(#34 overall) & drafted Nikolai Pekovic(spelling?) with the first pick in the 2nd round. This Nickolai guy is supposed to be pretty good. Hopefully when he comes over here in 2-3 years, McHale & Wittless will be gone. Back to the Chalmers pick, I thought we should have kept him. I've also been told that was a pre-arranged deal & we never would have drafted him in the first place. That was a pick specifically for Miami. Another bad choice(one of many) for this organization.
real wolves talk

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Unheard of on this board. I'm impressed. Now if the same people would visit regularly we could have some discussions.

As for the lineup, I agree with those that say McCants is the instant offense off the bench guy. The ball does stop with him, and it's tough to watch. He should be on the floor when and only when he is the first or second option, because his creativity comes with a price - the stalling of ball movement.

All is not lost with Foye. Seabass is the better PG, but Foye can play. If he happened to be shooting 50% over the first four games, he'd be averaging 15/4/6. At the end of the last two seasons, when Wittman loosened the reins on the offense, Foye was dynamic. Look at his game logs from the past two seasons for March/April games. He just needs to be allowed to be creative, and he can do that better as the two guard occasionally bringing the ball up. Much like...Brandon Roy. Foye is not nearly as good as Roy, but Roy is not nearly as good as everyone thinks he is, either. Think he would have made the all-star team last year as a member of the Wolves in Wittman's offense? C'mon. Let's not forget that to set up his own heroics last night, he fouled YAO MING with 2 seconds on the clock and Yao taking an 18-ft. turnaround while being guarded by the Vanilla Gorilla. Basket and free throw good, Portland down by one with .8 seconds left. This trade definitely favors Portland, but I'm not ready to say it's the worst ever. Which reminds me... I also think the Wolves had no intention of drafting Chalmers, although they might have had the Mayo trade gone down earlier. However, let that one play out and Chalmers will end up as a solid (probably career back-up) guard who can play D and that's about it. He's getting burn now because the other Miami guards are bad.

Keep up the chat. Beat Sac!
road

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

This is a good forum-just stumbled upon it researching my Yahoo buckets.
The Chalmers move certainly could have been pre-ordained but its just another dicey move made by the wolves. My bball knowledge is not as good as others on this forum but remember letting bobby jackson go--just as he was emerging as a bona fide point guard. And how about Chauncy B? Let go for basically nothing. If I had the time to look up old wolves rosters, there would certainly be more. And how many of these "bargains" have we gotten in return? Not many.
The rot starts at the top. Flip should still be here. KG should still be here. The Joe smith debacle--why would you tamper with Joe freakin' Smith and risk the franchise like that? McFail, ya gotta go.
And he won't as long as Glen owns the team.
Go Wolves--stomp Sac-town!
ripcityphil

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

I really feel the Wolves are finally on the right track.

OJ for KLove & MMiller was a fantastic trade because if they get in the top 3 or 4 picks they can land 6'6 SG Demar DeRozan who will be One&Done at USC.

Fans of the Wolves must wait the time it takes to contend in the tough western conference, but the wait will be sweet. As the other teams grow older and they start retooling, the Wolves will be winning over 50 games and be a tough matchup for anyone.

Al Jefferson and KLOVE will be huge for the Wolves for many years down in the post
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Some interesting comments on here today. As far as ripcity goes, I see he is from Love territory. I agree that Love will be a good player as he learns the league. He isn't overly athletic, but is athletic enough. He seems to want to be good, which is not a given in the NBA.

I doubt that the wolves will get a top 5 pick this year, as my guess is that they win something in the low to mid 30's and end up picking in the 6-8 range. But, then again, who really knows at this point?

Mayo didn't want to be here, so what would be the point of drafting him? He would have left as soon as he had the opportunity, or would have been toxic while here.

Chalmers looks like a bad deal in retrospect, but at the time the deal was made the Miller-Love deal had not yet been made, so the roster was full of PG wannabes (Foye, free agent Telfair, Mayo, and Jaric). I don't imagine that adding a second round PG to that mix looked like the thing to do. It is easy to fault McHale for his past errors, but this probably isn't as bad as some in the past.

The wolves are finally getting to a point where they have a good number of "decent" basketball players. What they could use would be for a few of these guys to elevate their games to another level. Telfair, Foye, McCants, Carney, Brewer, Smith, Gomes, you can go right down the line. They have some good games where they look like they could start for anybody, and then they have games where they go 2 for 9 and you don't even notice them on the floor. It makes it hard for the coach when he can't count on what he is going to get from his players. I am sure that Wittman would like to shorten the rotation and go with about 8 or 9 guys, and give them meaningful minutes, but it is up to some of these players to make that decision easier.
diehard Wolves fan

Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

ripcityphil wrote:
I really feel the Wolves are finally on the right track.
OJ for KLove & MMiller was a fantastic trade because if they get in the top 3 or 4 picks they can land 6'6 SG Demar DeRozan who will be One&Done at USC.
Fans of the Wolves must wait the time it takes to contend in the tough western conference, but the wait will be sweet. As the other teams grow older and they start retooling, the Wolves will be winning over 50 games and be a tough matchup for anyone.
Al Jefferson and KLOVE will be huge for the Wolves for many years down in the post
Agree almost 100%

When McHale first traded OJ Mayo for Kevin Love and Mike Miller, I was very skeptical and doubted the wisdom of the transaction. Looking back, though, I have actually come to enjoy Love, he is a hard worker and is a great addition to the team. Although I hated the trade for Mayo-Love at first, I think I've changed my mind. Love becoming one of my favorite players.

The Wolves' will be set in the post for many years with Big Al and Love. As soon as we can figure out which guard is best for the rotation, the Wolves may actually contend for the 8th playoff spot, maybe even this year.
odennorsson

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Looks like the same ol' sorry Wolves. Witman juggles his line up all too much and all too early. To me this demonstrates a lack of confidence in his own judgement. If they (Love & Telfaire) bring energy off the bench, why start em'? Foye probably is our best all around guard, Telfaire our best true point; but Mccants, I feel has earned to minutes with his energetic play, getting to the line and shooting 40% from three point line. Could start him w/ Miller at the 3 spot.
diehard Wolves fan

Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

NEWSFLASH--
Flip Saunders is looking for a coaching job!
klove

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

philtheduck wrote:
I have been watching KLOVE play since he was in the 3rd grade.
I promise you this - KLOVE will make fans in Minnesota very happy over the next 10 seasons.
I think Whitman has to go for the team to show improvement.
The 5th pick in the draft who has a multiple skill set and a nose for the ball should not be on the bench to start the game.
KLOVE will be in the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
DISCUSSIONS BY SEASON END.
thanx dad
odennorsson

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

Foye
McCants (gets to the line more than the starters do)
Miller
Big Al
Gomes

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••