We think: Fans lose in Bright House/F...

We think: Fans lose in Bright House/FSN spat over Magic TV deal

There are 38 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Sep 2, 2008, titled We think: Fans lose in Bright House/FSN spat over Magic TV deal. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Dwight Howard 's star-power rose during the Olympics in Beijing. He's huge all over.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AAAARRRRGGHH

Oviedo, FL

#1 Sep 2, 2008
<<< FSN officials contend that there's no other NBA team that's been moved to the more-expensive sports tier in its local market. Magic officials say they're as frustrated as anybody else.>>>

FSN is on the basic tier in Tampa! Why in Tampa but not here??? Bright House trying to skrew the Orlando market.
SentinelBlather

Clermont, FL

#2 Sep 2, 2008
As a Magic Season Ticket holder I switched to Direct TV last year. I was surprised by how much better the High Definition channels are. Not only did I enjoy Magic games but this summer they had 6 extra channels for the Olympics. One was a basketball channel and one was a soccer channel. Now they have 6 channels of US Open Tennis so I can select the match I want to see. I can't wait for the baseball playoffs.
Politics As Usual

United States

#3 Sep 2, 2008
Maybe their attorney can hire Doug Guetzloe to work out an agreement behind the scenes. It worked before, right?
Patrick

Orlando, FL

#4 Sep 2, 2008
This is crazy! I think we need to start calling the Magic, Brighthouse and FSN offices to make sure what we think as customers.
Pooh Bah

United States

#5 Sep 2, 2008
I think: Bright House is last year.
Procurator

Orlando, FL

#6 Sep 2, 2008
Somehow we fans survived missing the TV games. It was the Magic that threw the fans under the bus so don't blame Brighthouse for not rolling over to outside pressure to show the games.
Lamar

United States

#7 Sep 2, 2008
We can try to blame FSN or Brighthouse, but it all comes down to the Magic selling out their rights to their games. If the Magic really cared about their fans.... ha ha ha, I can't keep a straight face after writing that.

Message to Orlando: the Magic do not like you. Basketball is a selfish game, played by selfish stars and it should surprise no one that the NBA clubs are the same way.
Boat Guy

AOL

#8 Sep 2, 2008
The Magic were fully aware of the TV situation prior to signing the contracts. FSN was using the Magic to force Brighthouse to make a sweat heart deal for themselves. Brighthouse is in a no win situation, they have contracts for channels they offer on the basic tier. Who do they kick off and get sued by to give FSN what they want. Remmeber FSN has more than Magic games and the Brighthouse has to look at the whole picture. Last year Brighthouse ask for a show of good faith and ask that the Magic games be shown while negotiaitons took place and FSN said NO. The Magic allowed this whole situation to take place, just so they could get a couple of more "bucks". I guess a new arena paid for by the taxpayers is just not good enough for them. I am a former Magic fan.
Hoping for DirecTV

United States

#9 Sep 2, 2008
I used to have DirecTv when i lived up north. i moved down to orlando 6 months ago and unfortunately, due to the setup of my apartment down here, i am unable to have directv at the moment. I would like someone to explain to me why I am paying more for cable down here than i was for DirecTv AND getting FAR fewer channels. With Brighthouse we only get 26 HD Channels. DirecTV gets over 70!! And that doesnt even include the regional sports channels that you would get with their sports pack.(that would add another 20 or so...) CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME???
And I'm talking basic cable channels....
USA
MTV
VH1
Spike
Sci-FI

AND WHY DOESNT BRIGHTHOUSE CARRY THE NFL NETWORK??? Here we are less than one week away from Week 1 of the NFL and they still arent carrying the NFL Network???

UGH, i cant wait to get DirecTV back!!!!!
Observer

Spring Hill, FL

#10 Sep 2, 2008
Every once in a while, the Sentinel get it right. This is one of those times. The Magic are the real party to blame. They jumped at the TV money and didn't give a second thought about the Magic fans. This was a great PR move by the Magic. I agree that the Magic's attorneys should hire Doug Guetzloe to figure out why this was not a good deal for the Magic fans since the Magic executives have no clue.
True Fan

Orlando, FL

#11 Sep 2, 2008
Real fans go to the games.
Alex

Astor, FL

#12 Sep 2, 2008
This needs to be on the front page and the fans need to make it a big deal. Neither company wants bad press but thats the only way a deal gets done. I'm making the switch to DirecTV.
Observer

Spring Hill, FL

#13 Sep 2, 2008
True Fan wrote:
Real fans go to the games.
I believe you mean "rich fans" go to the games.
Conservative Republican

Cocoa, FL

#14 Sep 2, 2008
Even though I've not been an ardent basketball fan since "Dr. J" retired, what Bright House is doing sucks. All the more reason municipalities shouldn't enter an exclusive coverage agreement with any one cable operator. Leave it open to competition and see how fast prices go down and customer serive improves. Damn government fouls things up.
YDSeminole

Orlando, FL

#15 Sep 2, 2008
This spat is more than just the Magic. This year the Tampa Bay Rays have be #1 for most of the season but Brighthouse has to blackout the games in the MLB package and won't provide FSN Florida.

I understand the sentiment that real fans go to the games but I do not choose to go to every game. I have a life and bills to pay. I am willing to pay a little extra to include FSN on the Brighthouse sports package that includes NHLTV and NBATV, etc.

Sport makes money because of fans. If you can't watch your team than you lose interest and do not pay for them to play, it's that simple.
Procurator

Orlando, FL

#16 Sep 2, 2008
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to a movie for $7.00.There are games for the Magic for $12.00.
Lizzy

Melbourne, FL

#17 Sep 2, 2008
If the Majic want to fill up this new arena being built, I think it is within their best intrests to pump up their fan base. What better way than to broadcast as many games as they can? It is hard to get interested in a sport that you cannot watch very often.
Try me

Orlando, FL

#18 Sep 2, 2008
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I just mean that poor, cheap fans can't or won't.

Poor and cheap people really are a drag.
Jay Wheeler

Eustis, FL

#19 Sep 2, 2008
With an economy in the dumps and people dropping cable and satelite tv to bad the Magic don't care enough about those local fans and televise 10-20 games over air on FREE channels. Hmmmmmmmm, tonight I can watch the Rays/Yankees game on channel 56 without any pay service. What have the Rays learned that the Magic haven't ? By the way the Rays aren't even the local Orlando team. This only widens the gap between the haves and the have nots. JW
livagala

Tallahassee, FL

#20 Sep 2, 2008
so.... no games on TV means move to another sport until the Magic leaves Orlando area....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Magic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Magic's success against Cleveland's one-man sho... (May '09) Feb '17 Phartabus 178
News Westbrook has 31 points, Thunder beat Timberwol... (Dec '16) Jan '17 Cold Phart 2
News Vogel ready to help Magic take next step (May '16) May '16 iosuser 1
News Start C.J. Watson and bench Elfrid Payton (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fart news 2
News Dwyane Wade: Can D-Wade Take Home His First NBA... (Mar '11) Mar '15 too much taint 9
News NBA Trade Rumors: Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik & Chand... (May '14) Sep '14 cavas 132
News Is the Orlando Magic Playoff Material? (Jul '14) Jul '14 matteo 2
More from around the web