Obama's day to hoop it up

President Barack Obama spent at least part of his Sunday in Chicago doing two things he loves: playing and watching basketball. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Grant

Hattiesburg, MS

#1 Feb 15, 2009
President plays basketball, then watches NBA...and we care why?? Since when was this even worth writing a story about? Give me a break.
JBS

Staten Island, NY

#2 Feb 15, 2009
Wow, what terrible reporting, Mr. McCormick. You didn't even tell us what the Obamas ate for their Valentine's meal. Terrible, just terrible. And you wonder why journalists aren't more respected and newspapers can't seem to find enough subscribers these days. Have you considered a job at TMZ or OMG?
Danno

Glenview, IL

#3 Feb 15, 2009
A story about a President playing basketball well, versus stories about a President crashing his bicycle or a vice president shooting a hunting buddy. I'll take this story. Very interesting!
Bob

Schenectady, NY

#4 Feb 15, 2009
THIS is the news of the day? Nero enjoys basketball while Rome is burning!
Matthew Daneker

Fairburn, GA

#5 Feb 15, 2009
Wow...our government's going to spend 787 billion dollars and we get fed stories about Obama playing basketball. I'm sure my old neighbor whose now homeless wants to hear how Magic Johnson analyzes Barack's game. Better yet, you should print it so we can burn the newspaper to keep warm...If George Bush played a basketball game would that make the news? Keep your bias between yourself because the half of the country who is paying for the "bailout" don't want to hear it.
Alaska

Fort Wainwright, AK

#6 Feb 15, 2009
The world is going to hell in a hand basket, and this slug is taking a vacation after only a few days on the job.
Tiffany

United States

#8 Feb 15, 2009
he played basketball wit chris duhon,and his homie reggie love before
Juan

Berlin, WI

#9 Feb 15, 2009
How can this man play games when the country is in such shape. Our retirement income is cut in half and the Tribune reports on him eating out with his wife and playing basketball. Where is the outrage of him spending all that government money going to Chicago with his family on a government plane at our expense. Where is his shame. Do you think he went back to Chicago to learn more about being a community organizer.
boss tweed mummert

Forest Park, IL

#10 Feb 15, 2009
Alaska wrote:
The world is going to hell in a hand basket, and this slug is taking a vacation after only a few days on the job.
oh like we didn't hear about bush kicking back with a couple "O'Douhls", watching baseball and Espn. not everyone can be blogging in their spare time thinking they are solving the worlds problems. now clinton, he really knew how to enjoy his spare time, actually even while on the job.
incognita

Peru, IN

#11 Feb 15, 2009
Juan wrote:
How can this man play games when the country is in such shape. Our retirement income is cut in half and the Tribune reports on him eating out with his wife and playing basketball. Where is the outrage of him spending all that government money going to Chicago with his family on a government plane at our expense. Where is his shame. Do you think he went back to Chicago to learn more about being a community organizer.
Better to relieve his stress by playing b-ball than by invading other countries (and how much does that cost?).
Tiffany

United States

#12 Feb 15, 2009
obama obama obama,im glad hes our president
American Me

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Feb 15, 2009
The president was baaaling!
DJX

San Francisco, CA

#14 Feb 15, 2009
While I agree that the basketball game isn't news worth, I'd rather my president play a game of hoops in Chicago on a Sunday than figure out a way of sending another 30 thousand troops to the Middle East like the JACKASS who was in office before him. How much has this war cost the American People? How much money has Bush's friends made from the war? Illegal wire taps on US citizens...and the list could go on forever. Let the man play his game of hoops in peace. And Hymie must be a Honkey.
Tiffany

United States

#17 Feb 15, 2009
who's hymie?
DebT

Pekin, IL

#18 Feb 15, 2009
Nero plays his fiddle while Rome burns.
Glad he can "play his hoops in peace".
Tool
Nan

Beloit, WI

#20 Feb 15, 2009
Since people are interested in the First Family it's not surprising that hometown papers would cover BHO's weekend activities. The events could be covered more easily since the President was in public venues, unlike his pre-inaugural vacation in Hawaii. And it should be noted that Mon. is President's Day, making it a long weekend.
Disgusted

Manteno, IL

#21 Feb 15, 2009
Leave it to the right wingnuts. We spent 8 years reading about George Bush chopping wood and brush at his ranch. But now the media is wrong.
JPMorgan

Chicago, IL

#22 Feb 15, 2009
Yeah, all the gestapo chicago police were out early this morning. Starting at 57th & Woodlawn heading north, there were Chicago cops every ~100 feet. This was well before Obama did anything / moved anywhere. They also cleared the street of all residential cars. Imagine waking up Sunday morning with you car towed.

Remember these tremendous wastes of resources the next time there's a tribune story regarding the death of a kid on the south side or a failure to investigate police brutality / corruption for lack of manpower. Picture 40 Chicago cops lining the street every 100' on a Sunday morning in Hyde Park, waiting aimlessly for Obama to move his butt from 51st to the Lab school (several hours later).

That's called a fiscal extravagance AND a poor use of city resources.
Justine

Lithonia, GA

#24 Feb 16, 2009
I am glad to see someone besides me is puts family values first. For the past 10 years it has been all about making money, figuring out who we could become a predator on. Flipping homes, cheating each other. Who had the biggest house, biggest car and so on. Now we want to criticize Obama because he eats breakfast with his family and makes sure his kids get off to school OK. And that he plays basketball and watches sports instead of the fake "hunting" of Bush and Cheney. Trust me, most of us wish we could have the chance of spending more time with our families. Besides, no one has ever complained on their death bed they wish they had spent more time at the office.
Stan

Hillside, IL

#25 Feb 16, 2009
Let's see...

1)obama says..we need this stimulus package immediately or very bad things will happen !!!!

2) pelosei works to get this stimulus package done because it's needed right away or the sky will fall and very bad things will happen !!!!

3)obama takes a three trip back to Chicago to play baasketball, to watch basketball, and to take mrs. obama out to dinner for Valentine's Day.

4) pelosei is off on an 8-day European vacation.

5) obama will sign this got to have roght away bill on Tuesday.

6) President Bush did take vacations during his 8 years but they weren't after only 3 weeks on the job.

7) But then obama is the annointed one so it must be ok

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

More from around the web