Tom Powers: Minnesota Timberwolves lack fire, so Kurt Rambis must go

Last week I received an email from the local professional basketball franchise urging me to "Go Green with the Wolves!" My initial reaction was: Hey, I already go green every time I watch them play. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark

Middleton, WI

#1 Apr 13, 2011
Rambis was kind of brought in as the anti-McHale, which might have made a bit of sense had it been as a GM, which KM did not handle well. But as a coach, McHale is 10X the coach Rambis ever will be, and Kahn should have picked up on that immediately. That Laker "cool" works great if you've got a roster full of all-stars like the "Zen Master" (joke title, IMO) has always had. Makes the coach look pretty darn good, alright. But when you have to COACH, and have to show fire, the flatliners just don't have it. Adios, Rambis.
Ron The Afghan Man

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 13, 2011
Go crawl under a rock somewhere Powers, Rambis Deserves at least one more year. ALL the changes that have been made his first 2 years, no body, not even Jackson could have got more out of these teams. ONE MORE YEAR!!!!!
FMC651

La Crosse, WI

#3 Apr 13, 2011
Wrong Tom they are like you. They lack talent so they lose. To put that on the coach is wrong.
SeaShark

Eden Prairie, MN

#4 Apr 13, 2011
The MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES, aka TAYLOR'S FOLLY, is a permanently failed comatose "major league professional" sports franchise that cannot be resuscitated. Matt Millen could probably manage the team more astutely and productively than owner Glen Taylor and his succession of Peter Principle general managers and head coaches (Bill Musselman excepted). Kurt Rambis' triangle offense is just wrong for the Wolves' players, and his vacant courtside demeanor makes him appear clueless and disinterested; Rambis should indeed be fired. The city of Minneapolis' desire to invest $100 million in Target Center primarily for the Wolves' benefit is as stupid and wasteful as Columbia Pictures deciding to invest $100 million in a Bogie-Bacall biopic starring Adam Sandler and Kathy Griffen. The Wolves should be instructed to continue their death spiral in St. Paul at the X, with Target Center imploded and replaced by a retail/food combination patterned after LA's Beverly Center and Boston's international Faneuil Hall Market.
Jonboy

Duluth, MN

#5 Apr 13, 2011
Powers is correct. Rambis has to go and so does Flynn and Darko and maybe even Ridnour, although he could probably be kept as a back up.
The Hard Truth

United States

#6 Apr 13, 2011
I don't disagree with Kahn's comments, though his oiliness factor is a little too high. And he sure seems to put himself outside the line of responsibility.

Here's what he should have said:

"I really screwed up the draft two years ago. It's on me and nobody else. I thought I was the smartest guy in the room. But I got humbled. I'm not ready to take the hit on last year's draft, because nothing is yet clear. Cousins is a whack-job who could blow up completely, and, to my mind wasn't worth the risk. Wes, emphatically, is not too old and may still be the best thing other than John Wall to come out of that draft. But I accept the skepticism, though I don't see what better options were before me.

"Now, as to my trades, I've done pretty damn well. I know how to see gold in junk better than most, and I'm good with the cap space. I just underestimated how much players hate the idea of coming here. But that's going to change, because the coach is going to change. I'm going to suck in my ego and bring in a big dog and set him loose. I'd love to get Sloan, but that might be impossible. There are others, too, and you can name them as well as I can.

"Bottom line, my friends, is that we've got some good players who need to be shaped and coached up, and I've got to stop my garage sale bargain hunting.

"I promise you, I'm going to get a coach who can kick axx and take names, and I expect him to do it to me, too. I'm growing up as a GM. Watch my next moves, give me another year, and if things are still screwed up, ride me out of town."

Your slick friend,

D Kahn
Sports Dog

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Apr 14, 2011
A rookie coach + the youngest roster in the NBA doesn't usually = success. It's not really Rambis's fault as it is the person who hired him.

That said, I still like the Rubio pick. This team would improve with Rubio at point guard and make the team tremendously more exciting to watch.

Bring in a vetern coach who emphasizes defense as much as offense and we'll be better in a year. Especially if that coach was Jerry Sloan.
Emily

Emily, MN

#8 Apr 14, 2011
Who cares. Every year it's a different excuse. Now it's Rambis, and youth. What will it be next year..? I'd rather watch paint dry!
Wahoo McDaniel

Rochester, MN

#9 Apr 14, 2011
Could Clem Haskins be the next T-Wolves coach? He's still looking for that next "move up." At least with this team he wouldn't have to worry about following NCAA rules.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Apr 14, 2011
Jonboy wrote:
Powers is correct. Rambis has to go and so does Flynn and Darko and maybe even Ridnour, although he could probably be kept as a back up.
How do you propose getting rid of Darko with three years left on his contract?
Fan

United States

#11 Apr 14, 2011
The Twins took about 10 years to restructure after the last WS. You can't expect a fix from the long term problems unless Taylor sells. Kahn and Rambis didn't create the problem.

The team lacked guard play and defense.

Ridnour is a good backup. They can sign Rubio or draft a point guard this year. Better get your coach in place, Rambis, or whomever, now, to determine that pick.

They need a starting two. Webster and Ellington could be decent backups.

Move Love to center. Darko is not all that expensive as a backup. Pekovic did improve over the season.

Beasley at PF. Randolph backs up with Tolliver.

Johnson at SF. Tolliver and Randolph back up. He needs to make his shots too. Randolph backs up so he gets playing time.

Emphasize playing D.

Only change coaches if you can get a big time name.

They have Rubio, Love, Beasley, Flynn and a number one that could in some form be used to strengthen through trade. Love might be better being traded for a center or two guard.$70 million is a lot of change if that's his market. If you trade Beasley you keep Love. But, Beasley is the most talent on the team, so I wouldn't trade him and he is a PF. Someone goes or Love to center.
BOLEY

Shell Lake, WI

#12 Apr 14, 2011
Does anyone here actually think that maybe the Wolves DO NOT have the talent to compete with the rest of the NBA???? Why should Rambis be the fall guy???? I can't name you three guys that play on this team right now........Comon people, lets be real.....
MVF

Monticello, MN

#13 Apr 14, 2011
Fan wrote:
The Twins took about 10 years to restructure after the last WS. You can't expect a fix from the long term problems unless Taylor sells. Kahn and Rambis didn't create the problem.
The team lacked guard play and defense.
Ridnour is a good backup. They can sign Rubio or draft a point guard this year. Better get your coach in place, Rambis, or whomever, now, to determine that pick.
They need a starting two. Webster and Ellington could be decent backups.
Move Love to center. Darko is not all that expensive as a backup. Pekovic did improve over the season.
Beasley at PF. Randolph backs up with Tolliver.
Johnson at SF. Tolliver and Randolph back up. He needs to make his shots too. Randolph backs up so he gets playing time.
Emphasize playing D.
Only change coaches if you can get a big time name.
They have Rubio, Love, Beasley, Flynn and a number one that could in some form be used to strengthen through trade. Love might be better being traded for a center or two guard.$70 million is a lot of change if that's his market. If you trade Beasley you keep Love. But, Beasley is the most talent on the team, so I wouldn't trade him and he is a PF. Someone goes or Love to center.
Kevin Love to Center?? Not many 6'8, maybe stretching 6'9, guys who are going to make a career as a center in the NBA. While Beasley may be the most talented guy on the roster there simply is no way you can build a team around him. He looks disinterested half the time and I don't think he knows what it is to be a Pro yet. I could see him going "Rodman" on us just as easy as I could see him taking the next positive step in his career. Jonny Flynn will bring you nothing in a trade other than trading salaries with someone. They need to get Rubio here fast, watching their guard play is not good.
Jim N

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Apr 14, 2011
The Wolves have no clue as to how play NBA-style defense. Also, Beasley is a "me first" kind of player who may never fit into a team offense/defense concept. I admit I don't watch the Wolves much on TV. It seems like when I am roaming through the channels and wind up on the Wolves game, they immediately turn the ball over or let in some easy layup or uncontested 3-pointer. Then I switch channels because it is a re-run.
Fan

United States

#15 Apr 14, 2011
MVF-Love did play some center this year. Rodman is in the BB Hall of Fame. Flynn is not the cornerstone of a trade. There may be better point guard options with the no. 1 pick than Rubio.
Timberwoes

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 14, 2011
Let us not forget that at a 16 game losing streak, which could well continue into next season, the Wolves have the dubious distinction of having the opportunity to break that record.

And David Kahn is "content." Can you imagine you or I going into our performance review at work, being told we were unsuccessful at our jobs 70+ percent of the time, and after asking how we felt our effort was, we said, "it was fine?"

"You're fired."

Mr. Taylor, please, listen outside of your "inner circle" whatever that is, and get rid of this too-slick Kahn man. He is not only bad at his job, he insults the fans' intelligence while doing so.
Timberwoes

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Apr 14, 2011
Jim N wrote:
The Wolves have no clue as to how play NBA-style defense. Also, Beasley is a "me first" kind of player who may never fit into a team offense/defense concept. I admit I don't watch the Wolves much on TV. It seems like when I am roaming through the channels and wind up on the Wolves game, they immediately turn the ball over or let in some easy layup or uncontested 3-pointer. Then I switch channels because it is a re-run.
I'm willing to see how Beasley operates in a different offensive scheme with a point guard that can play a lick. His injuries really limited his explosiveness.(And he got NO support from teammates while being flung to the floor in those injuries to the hip. Wussies!) They kept dropping the ball to him at the 3 point arc with no one cutting to the basket or anything. He's got athleticism out the gym. He needs to be given fewer dribbling "decision making" offensive sets and make him cut and slash like a Power Forward is supposed to do. That takes a PG that can drive and dish. The triangle is the WORST offensive scheme a young inexperienced team could play. The experiment failed miserably. Beasley has also impressed me with a good attitude and is a well-spoken kid. He's just young and needs to be dished to by a good PG and rely less on his outside shot.
Timberwoes

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Apr 14, 2011
Jim N wrote:
I've said this for YEARS:
The 'Woes are skinny and undersized. They just get manhandled out there. It's like they have never heard of lifting weights down at Target Center. We draft "long and lean" to play a "running style of basketball" and when they are not able to execute that style of play, we are left with a skinny, easily man-handled team of rag dolls. It's been this way for years. No one looks like they could even raise my heartrate in a dark alley on this team, let alone show the Lakers' Bynum how to respect our players. They look scared and outgunned out there by larger, more physical teams. Even the "uptempo teams" of the league dwarf our players. What a mess.
Timberwoes

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Apr 14, 2011
"Go Green with the Woes."
I wouldn't go watch them right now for a free Prius.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Apr 14, 2011
Timberwoes wrote:
"Go Green with the Woes."
I wouldn't go watch them right now for a free Prius.
And?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Timberwolves Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is it possible for Kevin Love to end up in Clev... Jul '14 eng 3
Kevin Love withdraws from Team USA Jul '14 Black Mamba 2
NBA Trade News: Jeremy Lin Likely Heading To Ti... (May '14) May '14 Ginobili 2
Derrick Rose, Amar'e Stoudemire and the NBA's 1... (Dec '12) Feb '14 Rondo9 2
Loss of Nikola Pekovic severely hurts Timberwolves (Feb '14) Feb '14 Trevor 1
First NBA impression of Love was, eh, flawed (Jan '14) Jan '14 philtheduck 1
Minnesota Timberwolves resume pre-draft workout... (Jun '09) Jan '14 Patrick Kelly 5

Minnesota Timberwolves People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE