Tom Powers: Listless Timberwolves need a wakeup call, starting with coach Kurt Rambis

Full story: TwinCities.com

The Timberwolves were dismantled on their home court by the woeful Sacramento Kings on Sunday, 127-95. The lost souls who attended that game should have been given a refund, except that most of them probably got in for free anyway.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Mar 23, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
clueless

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

looked at 11 remaining games.
wolves will be luck if they can win two of them. should end up with one of the two worst records and have a better shot at the top draft spots.
hope they do not do this poorly next season because the clippers own the wolves draft rights. I have been saying for three + years wolves need to get that pick back.
too late now. this may go down as mchales worst trade ever.
cassel and a first for jaric. wow.
Gcracker

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

I was at the game (for free) and it was a complete joke. They could have put five of the T-Wolve pom-pom girls and the court against the Kings and had a more competitive game. At this rate, giving away free tickets might not be enough. Glen Taylor may have to start paying people to come to games and even then people might not come. I would rather have a root canal than to sit through something like that again anytime soon.
DD Austin

Brandon, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

They were not dismantled Sunday, they have been dismantled their whole existence. The worst run organization in all of sports. No question about that!!
15+ years of total failure....TOTALLY DISGUSTING!!! ;-(
Just plain UGLY

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

I took my kids to thier first T-Wolves game on Sunday and it was a total disaster. The game was bad, the concessions lines were horrible and very unprofessional and I had to pay for tickets.
You would have to pay me to go again.
smartie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

Glen Taylor, apply for membership in the CBA. NOW!
Timberwoes

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

The Flynn factor was in full effect. They had closed to within 6 points, brought in Flynn, and it went to 25+ point difference in about 2 minutes. Is this the worst assembly of players in this woeful franchise's history? It's close, and that's saying something.
I was hoping Beasley was going to pan out, but he DESPERATELY needs to be on a team where vets read him the riot act.

Starting Lineup:
Love
Beasley
<Center?>
<Point Guard?>
<Shooting Guard?>

2nd String:
Randolph?
???
Pek?
Ridnour?
Ellington?

Mr. Kahn, your work is cut out for you. Except you are at least partially responsible for this. Uggh.
Tutu Atwell

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

Tom, why go to the edge and not finish it. Rambis is a friggin joke. The guy looks like his car is running in the parking lot and he needs to leave. He hasn't shown passion or fire all year and he's got young guys that need that.

Good article, just wished you would have finished the job. FIRE RAMBIS NOW !!!!
Wow

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

The NBA just needs to contract the Wolves, along with about 8-10 more teams. The Wolves have no shot, no matter who is the coach or GM, just based on the way the NBA has allowed the stars to take over the league.

Here's what will happen:

* The Wolves will get screwed in the "lottery" with a more desirable franchise somehow landing the top pick. But since this is a weak draft with no franchise players at No. 1, it actually may be legit this year.(Also, now that the Clippers have Blake Griffin, don't be surprised if they win the "lottery" for a 3rd #1 pick in the past decade next year from the Jaric trade).

* Whoever the Wolves do draft in the 1st round, plus Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio (assuming he ever does come here), they will play out their rookie contracts in Minnesota then force and unfair trade to go to L.A., New York, Miami, Chicago, Boston, or somewhere in the Southwest, to team with other all stars following in the footsteps of Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, and soon Chris Paul.

* If the Wolves cannot trade their only marketable players for more future 1st round picks and role players (and start the cycle over again), they will see these guys leave and publically humiliate the franchise and community they way LeBron did (and Kevin Garnett did after taking the franchise for $200 million and running off Flip Saunders, Tom Gugliotta, Wally Sczerbiak and others, while pushing for them bring in Latrell Spreewell and illegially signing Joe Smith).

NBA action!! It's Fantastic!!!!!!*

*This statement only applies for the fans of major market teams.
Lottery

Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

I am convinced the NBA lottery is "fixed". The Wolves have never moved up in the lottery. It does not seem statistically possible. The NBA needs to go to NFL style draft order.

As others mentioned, the Wolves should be contracted. A mess of an organization. How did Taylor get so rich?
the real just another day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Just another day in loserville....
Awful

Chaska, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

This organization went in the tank the day Glen Taylor decided to listen to Kevin McHale and fire Flip Saunders.

The current coaching staff is a joke. I haven't been to a Wolves game since Saunders was let go and I won't go until they can prove to me that my money is well spent. I work to hard for my money to throw it away on poor entertainment. I won't even go if I get free tickets because after paying to park and refreshments, its still too expensive to sit through that.

Good luck
Said mayor of Loserville

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

the real just another day wrote:
I dunno whats worse, being a fan of a team that really sucks or the fact that you are trolling here, kicking fans when they are down. I guess that makes you a mudduck as well. Kinda Ironic that you think that us "mudducks" are so dumb when you are so stupid to not realize that you are one as well everytime you post here.

Thats just how it is no matter what you say. I won't say don't do posts you Cr@p on here (hey its a free country). In fact, I encourage you to keep posting. So that way you can show everyone that we may be fans here in "loserville" but the biggest loser in this town is you, and with teams like the T-pups, thats really saying something now isn't it?

I'm not even angry, all I feel is just pity, not for me or Minnesota but for you. Ok I'm done with you so go post to your hearts content.
Bored with it

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

If the NBA considers contraction, we should consider it....
Derr

Coeur D Alene, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Wow wrote:
The NBA just needs to contract the Wolves, along with about 8-10 more teams. The Wolves have no shot, no matter who is the coach or GM, just based on the way the NBA has allowed the stars to take over the league.
Here's what will happen:
* The Wolves will get screwed in the "lottery" with a more desirable franchise somehow landing the top pick. But since this is a weak draft with no franchise players at No. 1, it actually may be legit this year.(Also, now that the Clippers have Blake Griffin, don't be surprised if they win the "lottery" for a 3rd #1 pick in the past decade next year from the Jaric trade).
* Whoever the Wolves do draft in the 1st round, plus Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio (assuming he ever does come here), they will play out their rookie contracts in Minnesota then force and unfair trade to go to L.A., New York, Miami, Chicago, Boston, or somewhere in the Southwest, to team with other all stars following in the footsteps of Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, and soon Chris Paul.
* If the Wolves cannot trade their only marketable players for more future 1st round picks and role players (and start the cycle over again), they will see these guys leave and publically humiliate the franchise and community they way LeBron did (and Kevin Garnett did after taking the franchise for $200 million and running off Flip Saunders, Tom Gugliotta, Wally Sczerbiak and others, while pushing for them bring in Latrell Spreewell and illegially signing Joe Smith).
NBA action!! It's Fantastic!!!!!!*
*This statement only applies for the fans of major market teams.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying but thought I'd mention that Sczerbiak sucks (good 7th man since he doesn't play any defense like a 6th man should) and we did try to sign Gugliotta...he opted to go to Phoenix for about the same money.
The Hard Truth

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

the real just another day wrote:
Just another loser.
the real just another day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Said mayor of Loserville wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno whats worse, being a fan of a team that really sucks or the fact that you are trolling here, kicking fans when they are down. I guess that makes you a mudduck as well. Kinda Ironic that you think that us "mudducks" are so dumb when you are so stupid to not realize that you are one as well everytime you post here.
Thats just how it is no matter what you say. I won't say don't do posts you Cr@p on here (hey its a free country). In fact, I encourage you to keep posting. So that way you can show everyone that we may be fans here in "loserville" but the biggest loser in this town is you, and with teams like the T-pups, thats really saying something now isn't it?
I'm not even angry, all I feel is just pity, not for me or Minnesota but for you. Ok I'm done with you so go post to your hearts content.
I swear to god, you mudducks are soooo dumb....
opTOMism

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Is there any hope for this organization????
Wow

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

"Is there any hope for this organization????"

Yes. If the following happens:

1. If the next CBA includes a hard salary cap and a way to prevent the franchise players from bailing on their current teams to form the "mega all-star teams" that have unbalanced the league.

2. If Ricky Rubio comes here and ends up being a game-changing star play-maker.

3. If the Wolves #1 pick next year ends up being a future all-star to team with Rubio, Love and Beasley.

4. If Wes Johnson develops into a 20 ppg scorer and the 3-point threat the team needs.

5. If they can trade Jonny Flynn and get a quality player in return.

6. If Michael Beasley keeps his head straight.

7. If they can use their extra cap money to attract a quality free agent.

8. If someone actually assumes the Sam Mitchell-type role of a veteran leader.

9. If a new coach takes over for Rambis and teaches the team how to hold their compsure in the 4th quarter.

10. If the NBA refs start seeing improment in the team and giving them "respect", which is code for giving them the same calls they give the Lakers, Spurs and other established teams.

So it's not hopeless. Now go buy a lottery ticket because you might be a millionaire by this weekend.
TFAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Judged:

What I would love to see for the next CBA.
Lower Rookie salary scale. Change the roster size to 20 but only 15 allowed on NBA Squad, other 5 are on Developmental squad playing in Developmental league. Each team has own developmental squad, that way a coaching system can be in place at both levels as to style of play. Players are allowed on developmental squad up to first 4 years instead of just 2 or anytime after if rehabbing from injury.

A Slight Change to the way the playoffs and draft are held.
To make the end of the season much more meaningful for the small market teams and add some more parity to the league.

Shorten the regular season a few games.
The Top 7 in each conference get into the playoffs. Teams 2-7 get 9 day bye before start of playoffs, top seed get bye till second bracket is finished.

The remaining 8 are in mini playoff for the final spot, best of 3 game series.
Seed 8 vs 15, 9 vs 14, 10 vs 13, 11 vs 12. 1st home game is at team with worse record, second and third games are at team with better record.
Winners of round 1 advance to round 2 and receive an extra 2nd round draft choice (end of draft). Winners are reseeded each round based on record. Winners of the 2nd round advance and receive an extra 2nd round draft pick(beginning of draft round). Winner of 3rd round gets into playoffs and receives extra 1st round draft pick before the top 14 teams 1st round picks.
It allows for the cinderella story and you can't beat playoff experience this way all the teams at least get a little playoff experience.

Lottery reduced to worst 6 teams. The rest of teams pick in record order.
Just a thought that would make it more interesting.
Jonboy

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Forget the friggin rigged lottery. Just have a regular draft like all other sports do.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Minnesota Timberwolves Discussions

Search the Minnesota Timberwolves Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Is it possible for Kevin Love to end up in Clev... Jul 8 johnny ballgame 1
NBA Trade News: Jeremy Lin Likely Heading To Ti... May '14 Ginobili 2
Derrick Rose, Amar'e Stoudemire and the NBA's 1... (Dec '12) Feb '14 Rondo9 2
Loss of Nikola Pekovic severely hurts Timberwolves Feb '14 Trevor 1
First NBA impression of Love was, eh, flawed Jan '14 philtheduck 1
Minnesota Timberwolves resume pre-draft workout... (Jun '09) Jan '14 Patrick Kelly 5
Pek-A-Palooza (Jan '14) Jan '14 asad khan 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••