Timberwolves follow heart-to-heart talk with win over Warriors to snap seven-game losing streak

Full story: TwinCities.com

It's amazing sometimes what opening the lines of communication can do. The soul-searching conversation between Timberwolves players and coaches before Saturday's practice had an immediate impact on the team's performance in Sunday's game against Golden State at Target Center.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
The Hard Truth

Bemidji, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

Judged:

Let's ignore the obvious downer issues (Curry-Flynn, Luke's crazy choices,etc.) and take pleasure in what happened:

They moved the ball.
Flynn did kind of okay -- certainly better than most of his recent games. A trajectory, perhaps?
Wes seemed to have had a light come on for him at the All-Star game. That, plus the increased minutes after the Brewer trade.
Tolliver is a man.
Beasley is the straw, but he stirs best when the team doesn't expect him to be the Alpha dog. He's like a "Beta-dog" whose presence can make the team play an Alpha game.
Pek learns.
Somewhere inside of Anthony Randolph is something spooky silky. Maybe this is his time.
The team came together rather than apart after the team meeting.
The inconsistent, game determining NBA refs (wait, I said I wasn't going to hit the negatives) seem to have determined that Love is now one of the blessed.
We finally have a game film to send Ricky Rubio that won't make him opt to play in Turkey or Uzbekistan.
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

Good post. It's obvious you did some analyzing of the players and I like your ideas concerning each one.

I would like to see Tolliver play more - I think he would get into the rhythm of the game more easily and be more productive. I like his attitude - he plays hard, does what it takes, and isn't afraid to give up his body.

The refs make me crazy. Superstars get a LOT of breaks when it comes to fouls. Example - all you have to do is look at Lebron or Kobe and the whistle blows, while they can knock people to the ground and the whistles are silent. This is magnified if they are playing a bottom one-third team. Love is mugged every time he goes to the basket - slapped, punched, scratched, and bodied and the refs are like WWE refs - they are looking the other way. Glad to see him get a little respect.

I keep hoping Flynn can turn it around over the off-season. I think he wants to be better and to help, but is pushing too hard right now. He missed too much of the season, including training camp and pre-season. He just hasn't caught up. He played with a bad hip and now he doesn't have to compensate any more and that means he has to learn a new way to play - and that won't happen in a month or two - it will probably take until next year. I hope I am right about this because he is a good kid and showed promise last year. I would like to see him succeed.

Looking forward to see what Randolph can do. The first night, sitting on the bench, he looked like he wanted to cry. He certainly didn't look happy to be in Minnesota. Hope he works out for us.

Hope we can put on a good show against the Lakers. Go Wolves!!!
Timberwoes

Plymouth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

Judged:

Guys, slow your roll. Flynn sucks, and it concerns me anyone is trying to analyze his game still at this point (or, more pointedly, his LACK of game.)

Ridnour makes STUPID decisions. Absolutely boneheaded choices. We won in spite of his lack of mental clarity out there.

Oh they choked, but FINALLY dug deep and gutted one out. Hmmm... talking...developing a game plan. Are the coaches really this clueless that it took 2/3's of the season to do so???

Liked Johnson's performance for once. Pek is waking up and putting in better minutes (fewer DUMB fouls.) They have some talent, but most certainly need a commanding point guard like the other successful teams have.

If its all about effort, its sad that they have not displayed it for most of the season. That's on the coach. Let's go, Rambo!
the real just another day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

Judged:

The Hard Truth wrote:
Let's ignore the obvious downer issues (Curry-Flynn, Luke's crazy choices,etc.) and take pleasure in what happened:
They moved the ball.
Flynn did kind of okay -- certainly better than most of his recent games. A trajectory, perhaps?
Wes seemed to have had a light come on for him at the All-Star game. That, plus the increased minutes after the Brewer trade.
Tolliver is a man.
Beasley is the straw, but he stirs best when the team doesn't expect him to be the Alpha dog. He's like a "Beta-dog" whose presence can make the team play an Alpha game.
Pek learns.Somewhere inside of Anthony Randolph is something spooky silky. Maybe this is his time.
The team came together rather than apart after the team meeting.
The inconsistent, game determining NBA refs (wait, I said I wasn't going to hit the negatives) seem to have determined that Love is now one of the blessed.
We finally have a game film to send Ricky Rubio that won't make him opt to play in Turkey or Uzbekistan.Ricky Rubio
All of that for one win from the NBA's second worst team?'kind of okay'?'seemed to have had a light come on'?'Beta-dog'?'blessed'?'We'' Ricky Rubio'? Lay off the koolaid, Sparky...

Here's the short version:

Just another day in loserville....
The Hard Truth

Bemidji, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

Judged:

You bring up an interesting point about Pek. But we have to accept the really messed up reality of NBA ball that they don't have universal standards. The refs are more a part of the game than in any other major sport. Imagine if the umps totally changed the strike zone for each hitter (I know, I know, to some extent they do play favorites and also change it from game to game). But NBA reffing is so, dare I say, corrupt, that you get only the calls they choose to give.

Let's be fair -- there are fouls on every rebound and almost every contested shot in close to the basket. Pek gets whistled because he's not one of the chosen ones. Yeah, he's a brute, but no more so than half the low post players in the league. What he's learning is not so much how to play the game as how to play the NBA version of the game. Slowly, he's realizing that it's pretty much b**ls**t how the game is called, and he's seen as the bull. At least he's not throwing up fall away baby hooks. And he is one of the few Wolves that knows that the backboard is your friend. If Darko knew that he might actually make a few of those baby hooks.

As to Flynn, to be honest, I can't figure him out. He can't be as bad as he looks. He's got a little juju, but he doesn't seem to see the court once he gets in traffic. He needs some 6th grade coach to come in and remind him that you should never leave your feet without knowing what you're going to do.

Regarding Wes, I've never understood this "he's so old" stuff. I think he's a player, and I think he'll show it. Does anyone remember what a cowardly ball player Garnett was his first year (I know he was younger)? But the point is, let the guy figure it out.

Rambis? I still think a lot of the problems are on him, not on the players.

All I want to see against the Lakers is a good game from Wes and a tiny hint of continued progress from Jonny. Call it the Syracuse step up game. Beyond that, the Lakers will probably steal our lunch.

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

Judged:

The Hard Truth wrote:
You bring up an interesting point about Pek. But we have to accept the really messed up reality of NBA ball that they don't have universal standards. The refs are more a part of the game than in any other major sport. Imagine if the umps totally changed the strike zone for each hitter (I know, I know, to some extent they do play favorites and also change it from game to game). But NBA reffing is so, dare I say, corrupt, that you get only the calls they choose to give.
Let's be fair -- there are fouls on every rebound and almost every contested shot in close to the basket. Pek gets whistled because he's not one of the chosen ones. Yeah, he's a brute, but no more so than half the low post players in the league. What he's learning is not so much how to play the game as how to play the NBA version of the game. Slowly, he's realizing that it's pretty much b**ls**t how the game is called, and he's seen as the bull. At least he's not throwing up fall away baby hooks. And he is one of the few Wolves that knows that the backboard is your friend. If Darko knew that he might actually make a few of those baby hooks.
As to Flynn, to be honest, I can't figure him out. He can't be as bad as he looks. He's got a little juju, but he doesn't seem to see the court once he gets in traffic. He needs some 6th grade coach to come in and remind him that you should never leave your feet without knowing what you're going to do.
Regarding Wes, I've never understood this "he's so old" stuff. I think he's a player, and I think he'll show it. Does anyone remember what a cowardly ball player Garnett was his first year (I know he was younger)? But the point is, let the guy figure it out.
All I want to see against the Lakers is a good game from Wes and a tiny hint of continued progress from Jonny. Call it the Syracuse step up game. Beyond that, the Lakers will probably steal our lunch.
I swear to god, you mudducks are soooo dumb...

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

the real just another day wrote:
<quoted text>
I swear to god, you mudducks are soooo dumb...
I forgot to say so are the people from Miami, especially Donna Doucette
Timberwoes

Plymouth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

Judged:

The Hard Truth wrote:
Flynn is literally so undersized, he cannot see the floor. This is not a joke. Have you watched him try to get the ball into the post? His man defending him is successful almost 100% of the time in denying the entry pass because he is so diminutive. Couple that with not being especially fast as you would expect of someone of his small stature, and you have a total bust. Oh, I forgot- he doesn't have a shot either.
Stop looking for some upside to this kid. He does seem to be a "nice" kid, but the opposition doesn't seem to give him much credit for that out on the floor.

Probably steal our lunch?! If the Lakers starters are still in the game for the start of the 4th quarter, color me stunned.
The Hard Truth

Bemidji, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

<quoted text>
All of that for one win from the NBA's second worst team?'kind of okay'?'seemed to have had a light come on'?'Beta-dog'?'blessed'?'We'' Ricky Rubio'? Lay off the koolaid, Sparky...
Here's the short version:
Just another day in loserville....
Can't you go away? I know you get your jollies by posting your stupid endless comment, but there are a few of us who actually want to get past this junior high foolishness. I know, I know, it's a free country, blah, blah. But don't you have any self respect? If you didn't have people to pimp, would you have a life? That's a real question, but you're welcome to answer it only to yourself.

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2011

The Hard Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't you go away? I know you get your jollies by posting your stupid endless comment, but there are a few of us who actually want to get past this junior high foolishness. I know, I know, it's a free country, blah, blah. But don't you have any self respect? If you didn't have people to pimp, would you have a life? That's a real question, but you're welcome to answer it only to yourself.
Oh boy, game on, softie. read and learn:

The best part of 'your stupid endless comment' is, duhhh win a game or two. This town's sports are the biggest joke. Seriously, NFL,NBA,NCAA,Big Ten,NHL are the laughingstock of the sports world. Come on, your 'NFL' team is minus a stadium as of now. The bball team here wins one in eight. The bball goofer team will miss the (bottom 64 teams) NIT. The Mild are fighting for last place, and lost again tonight.

Here's an idea for your 'a few of us' teeny tiny brains:

Start winning. Period. Not one in eight, not one in four. Win a series, win a divisional championship, HEY win a championship. Till then,'just another day in loserville' will stare you mudducks in your dumb faces everyday... just kidding.

'
The Hard Truth

Bemidji, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2011

<quoted text>
Oh boy, game on, softie. read and learn:
The best part of 'your stupid endless comment' is, duhhh win a game or two. This town's sports are the biggest joke. Seriously, NFL,NBA,NCAA,Big Ten,NHL are the laughingstock of the sports world. Come on, your 'NFL' team is minus a stadium as of now. The bball team here wins one in eight. The bball goofer team will miss the (bottom 64 teams) NIT. The Mild are fighting for last place, and lost again tonight.
Here's an idea for your 'a few of us' teeny tiny brains:
Start winning. Period. Not one in eight, not one in four. Win a series, win a divisional championship, HEY win a championship. Till then,'just another day in loserville' will stare you mudducks in your dumb faces everyday... just kidding.
'
I see this was posted at 2 a.m. Enough said.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••