Since: Dec 07

Gibson City, IL

#60930 Feb 18, 2013
RIP Dr.Jerry Buss.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#60931 Feb 18, 2013
Wow, sorry about Dr. Buss, Laker Fans. You all had very nice things to say about him over the years. I felt like I knew him too. His suffering is done.
sammy

Etobicoke, Canada

#60932 Feb 18, 2013
I Guess l'il Wayne isn't a Heat Fan or a BoshFan. This was filmed over the weekend.
&fe ature=player_embedded
sammy

Etobicoke, Canada

#60933 Feb 18, 2013
Interesting read I found. Otherwise rest in peace.

Buss was a great owner signified by his 10 rings and willingness to invest to assemble champions. Even as the Lakers were looking at the possibility of cataclysmic luxury tax costs this year and the future as a repeat offender, Buss seemed intent to do what it took to win.

However, the impact of the estate tax cannot be underestimated right now on the Lakers future. The Lakers were recently valued by Forbes at almost $1 billion. The estate tax just recently amended and passed by Congress as part of the fiscal cliff negotiations imposes a tax of 40% on the portion of estate values exceeding $1 million. This could mean the Buss estate is facing an estate tax bill of ~$400 million. To maintain the team in the Buss family ownership, the team would need to secure $400 million of financing by leveraging the team. This would place significant new costs and cash flow drains on the franchise. As a result, this could impact the team's ability and willingness to pay the luxury tax in the future.

If the Buss family decided to sell a portion of the team (e.g., 30-40% minority interest) then they could avoid the cash flow hit of the financing but now you've got new owners that have laid down significant cash in an investment and will want to see a return - further risking the team's ability to spend and incur luxury tax.

The last scenario could be the Buss family sells the Lakers completely and then you've got an owner that has shelled out $1b and may have a very different philosophy about spending. Then again the team could be bought by someone like Mikhail Prokohrov (the Nets owner) who seems quite willing to incur the luxury tax to win.

The point of all this is Buss' death, while a big loss for NBA fans and the Lakers family, could also pose significant risk to the Lakers future in part because of the impact of the estate tax on the future ownership and/or economics of the team.
sammy

Etobicoke, Canada

#60934 Feb 18, 2013
RR any comments regarding estate? I know you are a numbers guy,
Showtime

San Gabriel, CA

#60935 Feb 18, 2013
As everyone already said R.I.P Jerry Buss, in my opinion best owner of all time, even better person than a owner if that is possible, he will be missed.

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#60936 Feb 18, 2013
Dr. Jerry Buss RIP.

Thank You for everything!!!

Very sad day in L.A. indeed.

“Timshel”

Since: Jan 12

Tulsa, OK

#60937 Feb 18, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>Well I will leave his name off of this but he had a stint in the mls for a team in the US last year returned back to Toronto and was sent to Sunderland. Yea we are all rooting for him and wish him success. Yes sir U16 is the prime age. If it doesn't happen now, forget it. Yea I get pleasure from coaching but its not easy dealing with so many personalities and skill levels. Funny I ended up coaching a game I never played let alone enjoyed in my younger days. I actually use certain offensive basketball plays in to soccer only problem is there are more players..go figure.
Yea apparently back then, AD was taking all the limelight in Detroit at that time and Zeke didn't like any of it. He complained to management and cause a rift between him and AD. He told the owner to make a trade with the Mavs to bring his buddy Aguire and poof the shocking trade happened. I will never let zeke down for that next to the sucky non shaking of congratulations to the Bulls. Zeke is an idiot to this day. I think dude needs to cool it to on the Botox these days. He looks horrible.Keith Eddy wow now thats something. I read about it him some time ago. Do you follow MLS too? We made major changes up here and new coach from QPR taking over after booting Paul Mariner.What position did you play?
First gotta say RIP Dr. Buss.

That's cool about the privacy. I figured it was an ask but what a cool thing, to get to practice and play alongside O'Shea and Wes Brown etc.. You're right there are many things you can take from bball to football especially strikers with their backs towards the goal and making nice cuts in and around the penalty area. You ever try and set up some soft picks Sammy?:P

Yea I disliked the Pistons and basically hated Thomas. He was a winner but man was he a backstabber. No class and AD was better off getting away from Thomas anyway. Read the story you posted about AD and Thomas. Good read. Pitty even in older age Thomas is still immature and won't give credit where it's due.

I lightly follow MLS. Paid attention to Becks coming here years ago and Henry and I might catch a game every so often but the BPL is light years better and it's hard to go from that kind of quality to the MLS. Poor QPR is in in trouble. I liked ol'Arry managing the side but the team hasn't responded. I do like Taarabt a lot and Hoilet is promising. You have a hand in that Sammy with Hoilet?

I played B2B center mid all my life until semi-pro years where they had me as the sweeper which you never see anymore.
sammy

Etobicoke, Canada

#60938 Feb 18, 2013
Showtime wrote:
As everyone already said R.I.P Jerry Buss, in my opinion best owner of all time, even better person than a owner if that is possible, he will be missed.
Without a doubt Show. I recall the first championship with Him and Magic. The joy those guys had. I watched ESPN this morning and listened to what Magic had to say. Its quite obvious this owner really cared about each and every player.
sammy

Etobicoke, Canada

#60939 Feb 18, 2013
_Jusayin_ wrote:
<quoted text>
First gotta say RIP Dr. Buss.
That's cool about the privacy. I figured it was an ask but what a cool thing, to get to practice and play alongside O'Shea and Wes Brown etc.. You're right there are many things you can take from bball to football especially strikers with their backs towards the goal and making nice cuts in and around the penalty area. You ever try and set up some soft picks Sammy?:P
Yea I disliked the Pistons and basically hated Thomas. He was a winner but man was he a backstabber. No class and AD was better off getting away from Thomas anyway. Read the story you posted about AD and Thomas. Good read. Pitty even in older age Thomas is still immature and won't give credit where it's due.
I lightly follow MLS. Paid attention to Becks coming here years ago and Henry and I might catch a game every so often but the BPL is light years better and it's hard to go from that kind of quality to the MLS. Poor QPR is in in trouble. I liked ol'Arry managing the side but the team hasn't responded. I do like Taarabt a lot and Hoilet is promising. You have a hand in that Sammy with Hoilet?
I played B2B center mid all my life until semi-pro years where they had me as the sweeper which you never see anymore.
LOl, wow dude you really know your soccer. Impressive!!! Holiet is from my Home town of Brampton. We pump out some good athletes in this town. As you know Tristan Thompson is also from here. Hoilet played in a well known soccer club in these parts and was very successful. No I wasn't part of Hoilet's success as he left before my interest in coaching came along. Yea MLS needs a little more of a push to attract great players, most come here when their career is over pretty much. I guess you heard John Terry is suppose to be heading to the Galaxy.
Yea the sweeper position has become almost non existent these days.ahahahah I thought about screen and rolls at one time or another but never really implemented it. Although some of our guys have a naturally ability to try that themselves. Funny we had a brawl Saturday night after our 2-1 loss indoor. Bodies flying everywhere. Never experienced that in my years. Had a few hot heads that escalated and resulted to nothing. So I had a bit of tongue lashing after the game. Cooler heads prevailed.
Showtime

San Gabriel, CA

#60940 Feb 18, 2013
sammy wrote:
<quoted text> Without a doubt Show. I recall the first championship with Him and Magic. The joy those guys had. I watched ESPN this morning and listened to what Magic had to say. Its quite obvious this owner really cared about each and every player.
Yeah , Laker land is hurting right now from the loss of Jerry, the season takes a back seat.

“Timshel”

Tulsa, OK

#60941 Feb 18, 2013
Yea football is in my blood. I'm British, my entire family is from Bristol, England. My father played for a lower league side back in the 50's and 60's. He got to meet George Best(best United player ever IMO)Allan Woodward and Dougdale. I actually got to play with Woody and Dougy on the semi-pro team I was on. Great honor it was for me.

Yea, JT is looking his age in for Chelsea. I wont be sad to see him go. ;)

Hahaha, football/soccer brawls man it doesn't get worse than those! In high school back in 1991 I believe there was a tournament a rival school held yearly and we went up there and whacked them in the finals. They didn't like that too much so their coach of all people talked smack to our toughest guy and tried to break his wrist while hand shaking at the end. Our guy after shouting at him to let him go actually broke his thumb another friend of mine racked their coach several times from behind, broke his face and several others were injured. It was mayhem. We made CNN but their coach lied to the school board and said our guy instigated it and we were banned from district play for a year. BS it was!
Dwhite12 LA Slowtime

Ocala, FL

#60942 Feb 18, 2013
RIP DR JERRY BUSS. Thankyou for all you've done for the NBA, the Lakers and Lakers fans. You will truly be missed.
Dwhite12 LA Slowtime

Ocala, FL

#60943 Feb 18, 2013
David Mayo:#Pistons source acknowledges that the Kobe Bryant trade, involving several players and draft picks, was done and agreed upon in 2007. Twitter @David_Mayo

The Lakers had agreed to a deal to send Bryant to the Pistons and needed Bryant's approval to waive his no-trade clause. The package included a combination of Detroit's core players and draft picks, sources say. Buss and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak needed an answer soon, because they refused to let the issue linger into training camp. Yahoo! Sports

Looking back, Bryant isn't sure it would've mattered whether it was Detroit or Chicago, Dallas or New York. In that moment, in Buss' house in the hills, it washed over Bryant how much staying a Laker for life meant to him, how no matter how dire the state of the franchise seemed, that Buss had a history of restoring the Lakers to championship contention. "It hit me that I didn't really want to walk out on Dr. Buss," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. Yahoo! Sports

“Timshel”

Tulsa, OK

#60944 Feb 18, 2013
@Sammy - I actually didn't know Thompson was from your home town. That's cool.

MLS...I think the USA's forefathers wanted to de-identify so badly from England that football was doomed from the start here in America hence calling a sport that doesn't use feet except for punting and kicking(which most people don't care for those positions anyway)football which IMO is retarded but it worked and to this day trying to push soccer still hasn't worked. It did for a time when Pele played in NY but there was just so many people that didn't want the sport to succeed here.

You know in America we boast the best of everything. Wide open spaces, each state is unique and any kind of weather one can want but unless you're the Galaxy or the Red Bulls or even Seattle you just can't pack the stadiums to build a high quality team and meet multiple wage demands. It's sad.
Black Mamba

United States

#60945 Feb 18, 2013
Showtime wrote:
Yeah he will be missed and I was not expecting this at all. I thought he was going to pull through. RIP Jerry Buss and Lakers Nation have you and your family in our prayers.
Black Mamba

United States

#60946 Feb 18, 2013
sammy wrote:
Dell I forgot to add Ricky Davis into the mix of possible greats
Omg that bum. I remember one of the worst things he did as a player when at the end of a blow out game he tried to get a cheap triple double by missing intentional to get a rebound. I was really done with him after that.
Showtime

San Gabriel, CA

#60947 Feb 18, 2013
Dwhite12 LA Slowtime wrote:
David Mayo:#Pistons source acknowledges that the Kobe Bryant trade, involving several players and draft picks, was done and agreed upon in 2007. Twitter @David_Mayo
The Lakers had agreed to a deal to send Bryant to the Pistons and needed Bryant's approval to waive his no-trade clause. The package included a combination of Detroit's core players and draft picks, sources say. Buss and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak needed an answer soon, because they refused to let the issue linger into training camp. Yahoo! Sports
Looking back, Bryant isn't sure it would've mattered whether it was Detroit or Chicago, Dallas or New York. In that moment, in Buss' house in the hills, it washed over Bryant how much staying a Laker for life meant to him, how no matter how dire the state of the franchise seemed, that Buss had a history of restoring the Lakers to championship contention. "It hit me that I didn't really want to walk out on Dr. Buss," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. Yahoo! Sports
Yeah I remember hearing that kobe had waived his no trade clause a few times, and I remember being so angry cause this guy is begging to be dealt and crying and talking crap and he keeps waiving the no trade clause....then I heard one of the interviews with him and it hit me, kobe doesn't want to be dealt at all, he wanted someone to talk to him and talk him out of it, he wanted a call from jerry buss, he thought the lakers were rebuilding and not doing enough for championships, and just like that the season begin turning around, bynum blossomed and we got pau...almost a perfect hollywood script lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Lakers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan? (Apr '07) Jul 14 toploij 12,078
News Mitch Kupchak says the Lakers need help everywh... Jul 14 toploij 2
News Lakers: Should LA Pursue Dwight Howard in Free ... May '16 Sam 3
News updated Idaho official: Kobe Bryant's remarks h... May '16 loki 8
News Hillary Clinton accused of offending Native Ame... May '16 Sam 6
Cheap Fitted Bedrooms UK Apr '16 jojoyus 1
News Attention, shoppers! Free agency opens in the NBA (Jul '14) Mar '16 Fart news 32
More from around the web