Ginobili

San Francisco, CA

#60768 Feb 15, 2013
Of course I want to see my GSW finally make it to the playoffs but the Lakers are in my home state. I want to see them do well also, the clippers and Kings too all from my hoem state of California.
sammy

Acton, Canada

#60769 Feb 15, 2013
Ginobili wrote:
Of course I want to see my GSW finally make it to the playoffs but the Lakers are in my home state. I want to see them do well also, the clippers and Kings too all from my hoem state of California.
You are so ful of crap.
Black Mamba

United States

#60770 Feb 15, 2013
sam wrote:
Ok Dell predictions for allstar weekend including game and mvp? Careful on Zany player names. BTW there will be no Big Head sightings , hes working his divorce.
Damn. They should have at least had him in for extra comedy. He can't handle a woman like Kim Kardashian lol. I see that chucks team is going to play Shaqs team. I got Shaq Fus team over Charles Broccolis team with Uncle Drew the MVP.
Black Mamba

United States

#60771 Feb 15, 2013
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what hit me the other day, that Lakers may not have to catch up Houston to make the playoffs.
This is going to sound crazy/stupid but hear me out.
The Warrior/Utah may be the Lakers tickets to get in the post season.
Houston is play some inspiring basketball right now, but Utah and Golden State are not.
These two teams may play themselves out of the post season, Lakers still need to do their part, but the Jazz and Warrior keep up their dismal play Lakers may get in without having to catch up with Houston.
You bring up a great point because we are only 3 games behind for that 8th spot and the 8th seed in the west for some years now has had a low 40 plus win total. Like you said they still need to take care of their end first. Right now they are a mess, but still have a chance in the 2nd half of the season. The margin for error is very slim.

“Timshel”

Since: Jan 12

Tulsa, OK

#60772 Feb 15, 2013
sam wrote:
<quoted text>Its easy to say though Show. You live in a Lebron /Kobe/Durant era. Perhaps you were too young to really see where Jordan started in mid 80's to where he ended up and how he got there. You also have to understand the league was in big jeopardy and salivating for a savior. Apart from Magic and Larry , MJ was a totally different player. Larry O Brien didn't know squat how to run a league until Stern came in and Stern needed a marketing tool. He got it. So naturally there was spill over in to the 90's and even today. That will never disappear.No different then dead legends like say "Elvis". Another overhyped artist. If anything count your blessings MJ was around apart from just his abilities it helped market the NBA. We probably would have not seen a franchise here.
On the other hand , I don't really see any overkill of him anymore. I think ownership makes it worse for him.
You're totally right Sammy. The league was in flux with the Magic and Bird era coming to an end and it looked bleak and Jordan honestly saved the league. I'm not just saying this because I was a huge MJ fan but it should really be him as the NBA icon instead of West because without MJ the league may have dropped a number of it's franchises and possibly folded. West helped build the foundation, MJ took the NBA to the moon and today's players owe it all to him.

In all my years of watching sports, the only other person that's had the MJ effect on the world was Pele and MJ is still leaps and bounds above him and that's saying a lot as Pele without all the modern communications was known world wide as much or more than Jesus. MJ deserves all the attention being paid to him currently and in the future as we wouldn't have elite players like Kobe, LBJ, D-Wade, T-Mac, Vince Carter, Grant Hill etc without him setting that standard.

It does suck though as RR touched on it, MJ unfortunately is a pretty rotten individual.
Showtime

San Gabriel, CA

#60773 Feb 15, 2013
sam wrote:
<quoted text>Its easy to say though Show. You live in a Lebron /Kobe/Durant era. Perhaps you were too young to really see where Jordan started in mid 80's to where he ended up and how he got there. You also have to understand the league was in big jeopardy and salivating for a savior. Apart from Magic and Larry , MJ was a totally different player. Larry O Brien didn't know squat how to run a league until Stern came in and Stern needed a marketing tool. He got it. So naturally there was spill over in to the 90's and even today. That will never disappear.No different then dead legends like say "Elvis". Another overhyped artist. If anything count your blessings MJ was around apart from just his abilities it helped market the NBA. We probably would have not seen a franchise here.
On the other hand , I don't really see any overkill of him anymore. I think ownership makes it worse for him.
Sammy are you sure your not just trying to get under my skin come on be real lol, if your being serious then I will answer this....I am now 31 I am old enough to have watched Jordan well into the 90s when he begin winning, I am fully aware of the 80s but you know I attack his competition in the 90s when he was getting all of these awards, he was the best player of his time, he was a great player . I have said this before, Wilt does not get any credit for his number simply because everyone says he went up against "midgets " which is a bit exaggerated, well Michael to me is the new chamberlain of his time, he went up against inferior talent, he was a great defender but that wont leave me to believe he could guard todays quick guards, he was a great scorer but todays rules, todays long length players you think he can do it all the same? I am simply saying right place at the right time, not saying JOrdan sucked, I think hes over hyped thats my opinion, if you want to cling on to the old timers so be it, its your choice I dont care. Put shaq in wilts era and you see shaq piling on to his numbers, put kobe or lebron instead of jordan you see similarities, accolades is a joke, first off its voted on and they get it wrong most of the time, and Lebron woudl have easily won those in the 90s. Now I am not saying kobe and Lebron would deo exactly what JOrdan did the way he did it, that we will never know, but I doubt jordan would do what he did in todays time, I dont buy old timers saying todays NBA is terrible and it doesn't hold a candle to the 90s, I will laugh at that every time.
Showtime

San Gabriel, CA

#60774 Feb 15, 2013
sam wrote:
Call me stuck in time. None of these cats today have even touched what MJ achieved. Iam not just talking Championships. However times have changed I realize that. We can sit here and say the 90's had bad players but let me tell you the 80's were full of talent and tough as crap. Brutal.10-15 yrs from now we may all be hearing overkill and media on Lebron and Kobe but MJ will always be slipped into it.
LOL your stuck in time sammy, and I think I just hit a hot button, your getting old my man your holding on to the old memories lol, that will probably happen to me one day , but I am still open minded enough to allow other players to have some major credit. I dont like lebron, its hard for me to say lebron is better than kobe but its true, lebron is a different monster.
Showtime

San Gabriel, CA

#60775 Feb 15, 2013
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text> Sammy are you sure your not just trying to get under my skin come on be real lol, if your being serious then I will answer this....I am now 31 I am old enough to have watched Jordan well into the 90s when he begin winning, I am fully aware of the 80s but you know I attack his competition in the 90s when he was getting all of these awards, he was the best player of his time, he was a great player . I have said this before, Wilt does not get any credit for his number simply because everyone says he went up against "midgets " which is a bit exaggerated, well Michael to me is the new chamberlain of his time, he went up against inferior talent, he was a great defender but that wont leave me to believe he could guard todays quick guards, he was a great scorer but todays rules, todays long length players you think he can do it all the same? I am simply saying right place at the right time, not saying JOrdan sucked, I think hes over hyped thats my opinion, if you want to cling on to the old timers so be it, its your choice I dont care. Put shaq in wilts era and you see shaq piling on to his numbers, put kobe or lebron instead of jordan you see similarities, accolades is a joke, first off its voted on and they get it wrong most of the time, and Lebron woudl have easily won those in the 90s. Now I am not saying kobe and Lebron would deo exactly what JOrdan did the way he did it, that we will never know, but I doubt jordan would do what he did in todays time, I dont buy old timers saying todays NBA is terrible and it doesn't hold a candle to the 90s, I will laugh at that every time.
As for the marketing thing, yeah the NBA needed every bit of Jordan cause the 90s sucked ass, Magic and Bird saved the NBA, and Jordan took the torch and continued what they started, the nba was hot enough to watch already cause of magic and bird, Jordan fed off of what they did and Nike and all of these other companies wanted a piece of JOrdan.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60776 Feb 15, 2013
Black Mamba wrote:
<quoted text> Damn. They should have at least had him in for extra comedy. He can't handle a woman like Kim Kardashian lol. I see that chucks team is going to play Shaqs team. I got Shaq Fus team over Charles Broccolis team with Uncle Drew the MVP.
lol.... And Sunday? east? west? mvp? Slam dunk?
sam

Acton, Canada

#60777 Feb 15, 2013
_Jusayin_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're totally right Sammy. The league was in flux with the Magic and Bird era coming to an end and it looked bleak and Jordan honestly saved the league. I'm not just saying this because I was a huge MJ fan but it should really be him as the NBA icon instead of West because without MJ the league may have dropped a number of it's franchises and possibly folded. West helped build the foundation, MJ took the NBA to the moon and today's players owe it all to him.
In all my years of watching sports, the only other person that's had the MJ effect on the world was Pele and MJ is still leaps and bounds above him and that's saying a lot as Pele without all the modern communications was known world wide as much or more than Jesus. MJ deserves all the attention being paid to him currently and in the future as we wouldn't have elite players like Kobe, LBJ, D-Wade, T-Mac, Vince Carter, Grant Hill etc without him setting that standard.
It does suck though as RR touched on it, MJ unfortunately is a pretty rotten individual.
I agree there. He can be vicious at times. Next to him by far the best athlete right now is Messi. Far and none. MJ does deserve all the credit he earned it. Pele yea dude that guy was something.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60778 Feb 15, 2013
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text> As for the marketing thing, yeah the NBA needed every bit of Jordan cause the 90s sucked ass, Magic and Bird saved the NBA, and Jordan took the torch and continued what they started, the nba was hot enough to watch already cause of magic and bird, Jordan fed off of what they did and Nike and all of these other companies wanted a piece of JOrdan.
lol Show. Yea maybe I am stuck in time. However I do have the opportunity to see the present to. Many in here have not even witnessed the past to make that comparison. To answer all three answers in one. I agree with you on alot of points , more so on the comment of rule changes and era for sure. MJ was good for his time. However I will say it again, mentally these guys are no where near and never experienced what MJ went through at least not yet.Which is why I rate this guy way up there. Not even Kobe.I really don't see any of these guys close to what MJ accomplished in may aspects. I mentionen the age thing and correct my math.When Jordan entered the league you were no older than 5? No way you could understand by simply watching reruns on you tube or let alone pick up on others opinion with out watching earlier in his career. In fact what you probably witnessed was him getting older and even then he was that much better. His game changed. Dude went through hell and back before his team even gained respect. I could write a book. We will always come back to era regardless and there are major differences.Thats what makes it difficult to say MJ kobe lbj so on and so on is the best. Now let me ask you. Is it him as a person that gets under your skin? the fame? glory? what is it? you can't knock him down for his abilities I know that.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60779 Feb 15, 2013
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text> As for the marketing thing, yeah the NBA needed every bit of Jordan cause the 90s sucked ass, Magic and Bird saved the NBA, and Jordan took the torch and continued what they started, the nba was hot enough to watch already cause of magic and bird, Jordan fed off of what they did and Nike and all of these other companies wanted a piece of JOrdan.
Truthfully though Show, When MJ entered the scene the Bird/Magic thing took alot of limelight from them. Its only finals that gave them that extra edge. Bird by the late 80's early 90's was done that gave him what 10 yrs and then Magic days were ending by the piston era late 80's. So they (magic and Bird) didn't pass much of a torch in my eyes. First 3-4 yrs in the 80's and that was it. So he has had the marketing and league at his will all along. Again I ask, is he faulted for that? billions of nba material was sold based on a guys success. If youare looking to ever rid that from ESPN , its not happening.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60780 Feb 15, 2013
Showtime wrote:
Jordan fell off of what they did? I trying to understand that. If you ask me MJ was unique in is own way. Smart enough to wear odd looking coloured (red) shoes where he was told to cover up by guess who? Mr.Stern , which created a whole load of controversy and with Spike Lee at his side blew it up. To a huge Marketing campaign and eventually his own shoe. Magic and Bird never had that. I don't quite think he fell off of Converse weapons, if thats what you are refering too.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60781 Feb 15, 2013
If one thinks bouncing a ball, dunking, alleyoops, running like a freight train, and stats that look like a PHD graduate's marks, to prove you are the best. Think twice. Far from that.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60782 Feb 15, 2013
sam wrote:
<quoted text>lol Show. Yea maybe I am stuck in time. However I do have the opportunity to see the present to. Many in here have not even witnessed the past to make that comparison. To answer all three answers in one. I agree with you on alot of points , more so on the comment of rule changes and era for sure. MJ was good for his time. However I will say it again, mentally these guys are no where near and never experienced what MJ went through at least not yet.Which is why I rate this guy way up there. Not even Kobe.I really don't see any of these guys close to what MJ accomplished in may aspects. I mentionen the age thing and correct my math.When Jordan entered the league you were no older than 5? No way you could understand by simply watching reruns on you tube or let alone pick up on others opinion with out watching earlier in his career. In fact what you probably witnessed was him getting older and even then he was that much better. His game changed. Dude went through hell and back before his team even gained respect. I could write a book. We will always come back to era regardless and there are major differences.Thats what makes it difficult to say MJ kobe lbj so on and so on is the best. Now let me ask you. Is it him as a person that gets under your skin? the fame? glory? what is it? you can't knock him down for his abilities I know that.
I see it like this Show. You know and you can dissect every Laker team and players going quite a ways back I am sure. I doubt anyone especially me, can tell you different as to what Kobe went through and crappy players , good times , marriage break up etc.. whatever. Its the same thing that I could dissect back then and I caught almost every Bull game and commentary. No lie. You have to live it and breath it not read it . It does make a difference. Its what I see and what you see are obviously 2 different things. You cannot judege the man in doomed 90's era, there is a story of MJ thats starts from the time he busted his ankle the first year. I have yet to see any player I don't care what era, retire and be told you will never be the same and no way you winning again. Come back and win three more.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60783 Feb 15, 2013
One more point I would like to add. What other choice of players do we really have other than MJ to listen to ESPN rant and rave about all day. What retired player (maybe Magic) still has clothing wear(including Hanes..lol) that still sells through the roof after retirement? What other NBA player who retired owns a team? Bird? Magic? Kareem? Its no wonder he gets the attention. So call me old but this is realism here.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60784 Feb 15, 2013
See its times like this when I think Colangelo needs to put down the pipe if this is in fact true.

The Raptors have also engaged the Sixers in conversations centered on Bargnani, sources said. No word on what the Sixers would need to offer in return, although a Western Conference executive suspects it would involve center Spencer Hawes.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60785 Feb 15, 2013
Danny Ainge will not pull the trigger on a trade sending Rondo for Howard unless the Celtics receive assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston in the offseason
sam

Acton, Canada

#60786 Feb 15, 2013
Does this mean HI Lite might become a Laker fan after all?

The Los Angeles Lakers have engaged in preliminary discussions with the Boston Celtics on a trade centering on Dwight Howard and Rajon Rondo, according to sources.

The potential deal has not gained any traction, and other significant pieces would need to be involved.

The Lakers have adamantly stated publicly and privately that they will not deal Howard before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Danny Ainge will not pull the trigger on a trade sending Rondo for Howard unless the Celtics receive assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston in the offseason, according to a league source.
sam

Acton, Canada

#60787 Feb 15, 2013
Hmm Since we a on the topic of old and MJ's greatness(well to some) I thought chee what an appropriate post .

Turns out, Michael Jordan still pretty good at the basketball thing.

About a month ago Jordan, who turns 50 this weekend, challenged 19-year-old Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to a game of one-on-one after practice. Kidd-Gilchrist is the No. 2 pick of the Bobcats, the team Jordan owns.

“He did play me 1-on-1 one time,” Kidd-Gilchrist said on Friday morning before playing on Team Shaq in the Rising Stars Challenge Friday night.“And it was hard for me … I lost. I lost to a 50-year-old guy. That’s my boss, though. He’s the best player to play the game.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Lakers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeremy Lin on demotion 18 hr tyan 1
The stunt happened during halftime of a game be... Jan 22 Christaliban 1
Kevin Durant on Kobe Bryant: 'I'd want to play ... Jan 9 Sam 2
LA Lakers Are Best Landing Spot for Quincy Mill... Nov '14 LAKER4LIFE 1
Lakers vs. Rockets: Live updates from the 2014 ... Oct '14 Why 24 2
Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher are parents Oct '14 Big mike 17
Jeremy Lin Manhood Size Discussions Reveal Raci... (Feb '12) Oct '14 Sam 23
More from around the web