Is Gilbert Arenas Different? Guns May be Rampant in NBA

Full story: CBS News

NEW YORK NBA star Gilbert Arenas may have used bad judgment when he pulled a gun on his Washington Wizards teammate during a locker room disagreement last week, but the right to bear arms, if not brandish them, seems strong amongst NBA players.
Comments
1 - 20 of 204 Comments Last updated Jan 12, 2010
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Bill

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Where's Rush Limbaugh and his NRA rhetoric on this? That fat drug addicted slob can't hide behind his overdose. He was quick to give a press conference and talk about himself, wasn't he? Right to bear arms, eh? Time to grow up, losers at the NRA!
lol

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

there will always be concerns when guns are involved

getting to top is one thing, staying there is another - most millionaires are going to bear arms

the police as a whole and local militais dont do you any favors because your ivy league or first round draft pick

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Millionaire Bballers totin heat? Naw, that ain't news....everybody knows the NBA has 4 seasons....Fishing, Fckking, Fighting and Firearms.
P Smith

Taipei, Taiwan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

From the item:
----------
Indiana Pacers guard T.J. Ford said. "As a society, I think a lot of people have protection within their home. But I don't think it's just an NBA thing. It's just a lot of regular people have protection in their home.
----------

Is it an NBA thing? Well, the NBA has become a thug culture, so yes, it is an NBA thing.

Basketball has always sucked and I have never had any patience for it. Now I have another reason to dislike it.

“Spank my Monkey”

Since: Oct 08

Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Stupid ground apes with a prehensile digit to fling their feces farther.
mayo420

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

MUNTU wrote:
Stupid ground apes with a prehensile digit to fling their feces farther.
If I was black, and knowing people like you are allowed to roam the streets unleashed, I'd have a gun with me at all times too. Think about it.
Billy Bob

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

These apes need to realize that they are not in "the hood" anymore. And that kids look up to them. Lets face it if they couldn't chase a stupid big orange ball around they would be selling crack on the corner back in "the hood". Bottom line they should be kicked out of the NBA. Put on an island with a bunch of bananas and let them go.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

This is just the same old and all too common morally lacking black conduct. The ability to play basketball changes nothing and this behavior should be no surprise. Basketball does not engender ethics into people who lack them.
Pat

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

mayo420 wrote:
<quoted text>
If I was black, and knowing people like you are allowed to roam the streets unleashed, I'd have a gun with me at all times too. Think about it.
If you actually are from Baltimore then you know all too well the color of crime and violence in your city and who is keeping Baltimore in the gutter and it is not the white people who are fed up with this uncivilized black behavior either!
Irrational Rationalist

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

When did bearing arms become "uncivilized behavior", the right to bear arms is a right of all american citizens. Because the two ball players are Black makes it uncivilized? Thats laughable. It was a bone-headed thing to do as far as brandishing guns to settle a dispute, but in no way does race have anything to do with it. Was it uncivilized when the Columbine high school kids went on a rampage. I never heard that terminology used to describe them. The "Party Line" for the Right Wing Loonies is to PROMOTE bearing arms, now that two black men have done so, it's news. You people are clowns...especially, you "Pat"

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

At least he didn't shoot himself in the balls like Plaxico Burris did!
Concerned Black Citizen

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

This incident is a part of the bigger issue within the Black community and that is Black on Black viole nce and especiall the young Black male guns. Both Arenas and Crittenten are professional athletes and you'd think would be far removed from such antics but it appears they are merely engaging in the activity that many young Black men engage in in cities across this country each day and thatís Black Man on Black Man hate. All the young Black Men carrying guns are not carrying them to protect themselves against no other people than their own.
bigsingle

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Fire both of them for WORK PLACE VIOLENCE ISSUES. THIS SETS WORK PLACE VIOLENCE ADVANCES BACK 200 YEARS.

IT ALSO SENDS THE WRONG MESSAGE TO VICTIMS!!!!!!!!!!

FIRE BOTH IMMEDIATELY.

WORK PLACE VIOLENCE IS A SERIOUS ISSUE!

Since: Sep 09

Effort

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

These players need to realize they are not in the same league with politicians and movers and shakers.
As for the big cities, most have removed CCW from the average and above average person. Just remember, when seconds count police are only minutes away.
Strife

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

P Smith wrote:
From the item:
----------
Indiana Pacers guard T.J. Ford said. "As a society, I think a lot of people have protection within their home. But I don't think it's just an NBA thing. It's just a lot of regular people have protection in their home.
----------
Is it an NBA thing? Well, the NBA has become a thug culture, so yes, it is an NBA thing.
Basketball has always sucked and I have never had any patience for it. Now I have another reason to dislike it.
No kidding, I find it hard to believe that NHL players tote guns like the thugs of the NBA. But wait, within the thug culture it's cool to pull guns on people, especially your own teammates.
Tiffany

Manhasset, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Why is all the attention on Gilbert?Javaris had a gun too.
Concerned Black Citizen

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Tiffany wrote:
Why is all the attention on Gilbert?Javaris had a gun too.
You know the answer to that. Gilbert is the star not Jarvaris. Regardless, they both were stupid. This is not Gilberts first time in troulbe when it comes to guns.

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Arenas and Crittenden should be expelled from the NBA.
fedupwiththemess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Billy Bob wrote:
These apes need to realize that they are not in "the hood" anymore. And that kids look up to them. Lets face it if they couldn't chase a stupid big orange ball around they would be selling crack on the corner back in "the hood". Bottom line they should be kicked out of the NBA. Put on an island with a bunch of bananas and let them go.
Oh the things we say hiding behind a computer screen. Feel safe huh???? That is mighty cowardly of you.
fedupwiththemess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Irrational Rationalist wrote:
When did bearing arms become "uncivilized behavior", the right to bear arms is a right of all american citizens. Because the two ball players are Black makes it uncivilized? Thats laughable. It was a bone-headed thing to do as far as brandishing guns to settle a dispute, but in no way does race have anything to do with it. Was it uncivilized when the Columbine high school kids went on a rampage. I never heard that terminology used to describe them. The "Party Line" for the Right Wing Loonies is to PROMOTE bearing arms, now that two black men have done so, it's news. You people are clowns...especially, you "Pat"
It became uncivilized when blacks started to bear arms........whitey don't blacks to be able to shoot back.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Indiana Pacers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LeBron James leads Heat offense in 114-96 Game ... (May '13) Jul 27 where 3
Wizards jump on Pacers early May '14 Andrew 9
Is Roy Hibbert Back to Form for Indiana Pacers? May '14 thebrownbol 1
NBA Playoff Preview - Indiana vs. Washington May '14 youchinksareuglyi... 1
Chicago Bulls Need to Solve Scoring Woes Before... Apr '14 Dingo 1
Dallas Mavericks are the Team No Playoff Team W... Feb '14 Jake 1
(NBA) Raptors' Ross to defend Slam Dunk title (Feb '14) Feb '14 love deep 2

Search the Indiana Pacers Forum:
•••
•••