Leno gives free shows for MI unemployed

Leno gives free shows for MI unemployed

There are 13 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Apr 7, 2009, titled Leno gives free shows for MI unemployed. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Jay Leno is offering a money back guarantee to anyone attending his standup shows in the Detroit area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Just Wondering

Littleton, CO

#1 Apr 7, 2009
Anyone else think Jay Leno's profile looks like a caricature of the moon?
FOB

Denver, CO

#2 Apr 7, 2009
Jay seems like a nice down to earth guy...very nice of him to do this!
DCBC

Grosse Pointe, MI

#3 Apr 7, 2009
JAY WHAT ABOUT GRAND RAPIDS WE NEED A SHOT OF IT TOO A GOOD LAUGH IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL YOU ARE A GREAT COMEDON LOTS OF LAUGHS THANKS JAY
Jennifer Oosterhouse

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 Apr 7, 2009
So Cool what you did in Detroit Jay!
That is what American should be about
helping each other....So encouraging for not just the Detroit Workers but for everyone!

Thank you for doing that
River Blues

United States

#5 Apr 8, 2009
Great.... someone who makes about 12 Million a month does a show to commiserate with us HOPING to make $774 every two weeks on unemployment..... so do I shoot myself now, or wait until I get home??????
Lee

Tulsa, OK

#6 Apr 8, 2009
Leave them alone Jay. Haven't they suffered enough?
Bill

United States

#7 Apr 8, 2009
River Blues said: Great.... someone who makes about 12 Million a month does a show to commiserate with us HOPING to make $774 every two weeks on unemployment..... so do I shoot myself now, or wait until I get home??????

Sounds like someone is a little jealous. We are in America the land of opportunity you can be and do anything you want. If you want to make 12 million a month then earn it.

Thank you Jay your the best. I remember seeing him do his stand up acts at Pollocks in Lowell MA, before he hit it big in Hollywood. He was paid $100 for a 90 minute gig.

Now River Blues get off your seat and go out and work hard so you can perform for us during the next depression.
Just me

United States

#8 Apr 8, 2009
It was definately cool that Jay did a free concert in Detroit. Maybe some other performers could do the same. Making millions to make movies seems ridiculous to me when the guy who picks up your garbage makes little over minimum wage... The way people are paid in this country is insane. People who actually work to make the world go round have a hard time making ends meet, people who entertain us make millions. And then there's the people who are in charge of the people make the world go round totally screwing everyone. Let's spread the wealth to all, not to the greedy...
caring in Greenville

Grand Haven, MI

#9 Apr 8, 2009
Good for him, but Detroit isn't the only place in Michigan hurting with unemployment. Laughter is great medicine for what ails us, we all need to laugh more, I am impressed that he does this
Momof Boys

Broomfield, CO

#10 Apr 8, 2009
It is great that Jay Leno and we can't forget the time that Kid Rock took to make an appearance did this all for free. I agree that laughter IS the best medicine and like someone else said I hope that others will use this as a model and do the same, not just in Detroit but all over America.
I am finding it difficult to understand how Jay Leno can give 2 free shows totalling 30,000 yet AC/DC is selling tickets for something like 92.50 for VanAndel Arena? Now I like AC/DC just as much as the next girl who grew up in the 70's-80's. But who in the heck can afford 100 bucks a ticket now days? Maybe they should talk to Leno's "people" and we could see a free AC/DC show here in Grand Rapids!
(hey a girl can always dream right?)
Well.. kudos to Jay at least he hasn't forgotten that he hasn't always been rich & famous.
RAB

Ionia, MI

#11 Apr 8, 2009
I've always been a big fan of Letterman and never really cared for the Tonight Show since Carson retired. However, I think it was great that Leno came out and did this for Detroit and the state of Michigan. You don't see any other rich celebrities doing anything like this especially when it's free. From all the articles I've read about the show he seemed very genuine and glad to be there. Sounds like a reall class act and everyone, from what I read, really enjoyed the show even if it was only a short escapce from reality.
Jerry

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Apr 8, 2009
I bet the reason he had the show in Auburn Hills and not Detroit was so his and the audience's vehicles were still in one piece when he was done with the show.
Travis from Oxford MI

United States

#13 Apr 8, 2009
Gotta love Detroit!
Three Final Four games in front of 72,000+, free Leno stand-up for two packed Palace audiences, and then Tigers Opening Day!
What a week it's been over here!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Pistons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sorry, Denver, Chauncey belongs to Detroit (Oct '14) Oct '14 Steve 2
News Trade Season: Detroit Dealin' (Jan '14) May '14 Will 2
News Report: Isiah Thomas could replace ex-backcourt... (Mar '14) Apr '14 Pearl Heyboer 2
News Lillard's shot lifts Blazers over Pistons in OT (Dec '13) Dec '13 Ravishankar kumar 1
News Heat seek revenge against Pistons (Dec '13) Dec '13 NFL STREAM 2
News 2014 NBA Mock Draft: A Very Early Look at Next ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 mars 2
News What they're saying: Tom Gores says Pistons nee... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Umberto Menghi 1
More from around the web