NBA Draft lottery has history of hits and misses

Full story: Newsday 20
Michael Jordan as a player was perhaps as flawless as one can be on the basketball court. Read more
Locomotive Breath

Mastic, NY

#1 May 19, 2009
Who Cares.
Darren

Brooklyn, NY

#2 May 19, 2009
Wow!, is that so Alan??? Had no idea the NBA draft was a crap shoot. Good thing we have intelligent writers pointing out this very important tidbit.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#3 May 19, 2009
Any draft pick is a crap shoot, not just lottery players.
Its Bushs fault

New York, NY

#4 May 19, 2009
nm
Doug

Albany, NY

#6 May 20, 2009
Al: The Knicks have a better shot at winning the championship next year then signing James away from Cleveland. He loves his home state and will make plenty of money without having to come to NY.

Walsh better go to Plan B (Wade, etc).

The Marbury trade just keeps giving and giving (ulcers). I believe T. Evans of Memphis has the most upside of any guard in the draft. Curry can shoot, but can he get open?
Best,
DTB
admrl

Oceanside, NY

#7 May 20, 2009
Doug- I love it when people comment about what Lebron is thinking. He may love his home state very much, but if he had no doubt about staying how come he hasn't signed an extension yet- after all it is the Cavs who can pay him the most under the rules. He might come here he might not and any speculation at this time by an outsider or "source" is useless. If he doesn't there will be other free agents. Anyone who dumps on Walsh is an idiot because FINALLY we're not in salary cap hell and the team actually has options. It will take time to clean Laden's and Thomas' mess as Knick fans we have to be patient!
Patrick

Roseland, NJ

#8 May 20, 2009
Doug wrote:
Al: The Knicks have a better shot at winning the championship next year then signing James away from Cleveland. He loves his home state and will make plenty of money without having to come to NY.
The Marbury trade just keeps giving and giving (ulcers). I believe T. Evans of Memphis has the most upside of any guard in the draft. Curry can shoot, but can he get open?
Best,
DTB
Agreed on Tyreke Evans. I think he definitely has the chance to be the best player in this draft when it is all said and done.
DickBarnett

Boiling Springs, SC

#9 May 20, 2009
Lebron will not leave Cleveland for the Knicks. After years of frustration he now plays for a winning team with a great shot at a championship this year. His family and friends and his business(s) are all in Cleveland. The dream of him playing in NY is exactly that a dream.
With no 1st round pick next year, the Kincks will need another 3 years to repair the damage done by Issiah Thomas.
Nuts

United States

#11 May 20, 2009
Alan, you and all the other writers are nuts if you think there is a chance in hell LeBron comes to the Knicks. Seriously, you think the Cavs aren't going to offer him the max? Leave a contending, dominating team (where he grew up) for the mess of MSG? Keep dreaming fellas, ain't gonna happen.
knix

San Antonio, TX

#12 May 20, 2009
Nice to see the Clippers getting another top pick to ruin. Seriously, the draft needs to be reevaluated. Horribly run teams like the Clips just keep drafting top talent and wasting it, depriving the NBA of potential stars year after year. Same for the Warriors and now the Kings. Stop rewarding these teams for incompetence.
Busey

Melville, NY

#13 May 20, 2009
Doug wrote:
Best,
DTB
You are on drugs if you think he won't make 10x the endorsement money in NY rather than Cleveland....

These stupid guys don't want "plenty" of money.... they want "all" the money
UR a Dunce

United States

#14 May 20, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
You are on drugs if you think he won't make 10x the endorsement money in NY rather than Cleveland....
These stupid guys don't want "plenty" of money.... they want "all" the money
LeBron's popularity transcends him being in Cleveland. Him being in NY isn't going to make any difference at all.

Location hidden

#15 May 20, 2009
knix wrote:
Nice to see the Clippers getting another top pick to ruin. Seriously, the draft needs to be reevaluated. Horribly run teams like the Clips just keep drafting top talent and wasting it, depriving the NBA of potential stars year after year. Same for the Warriors and now the Kings. Stop rewarding these teams for incompetence.
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Location hidden

#16 May 20, 2009
Nuts wrote:
Alan, you and all the other writers are nuts if you think there is a chance in hell LeBron comes to the Knicks. Seriously, you think the Cavs aren't going to offer him the max? Leave a contending, dominating team (where he grew up) for the mess of MSG? Keep dreaming fellas, ain't gonna happen.
Lebron is not leaving Cleveland the same way DWade is not leaving Miami.
The Knicks have the 8th pick in the upcoming draft and it remains to be seen how they use that pick to make the team better.
At least they now have competent management that knows how to build a team.
Ownership, now that's another story.
Shivermetimbers

United States

#17 May 21, 2009
UR a Dunce,

you wrote: "LeBron's popularity transcends him being in Cleveland. Him being in NY isn't going to make any difference at all."

This is not true at all. In sports, like entertainment, their is a concept called Q rating. It is a measurement of someone's marketing presence.

For example, Tiger Woods has a Q rating of 97. That is why you can walk through an airport in Hong Kong and see an accenture billboard with him on it - people recognize him everywhere, even if they don't follow the sport closely.

Michael Jordan had a Q rating of 93. Kobe Bryant has a rating of 89.

Lebron has a Q rating of 47.

Why the low number? Everyone in the industry knows why. He is not in one of the 4 cities that count - Miami, Chicago, LA or NY (no, not even Boston makes this list).

That is the only valid reason I see Lebron coming to NY.

Of course, as a Knick fan, I dread the though of him going to LA.

But, there you have it.
jperez

Norcross, GA

#19 May 22, 2009
You must take the Miami approach to rebuilding (ie. Heat, Marlins) Be either first or last but don't be in the middle. Having integrity and legitimately trying when you don't have the talent gets you nowhere. You end up being the Milwaukee Bucks. Pat Riely understands this, thats how he got Wade and Beasley. Think about it- two years ago they intentionally tanked it, actually finished 5 games worse than Isiahs Knicks, then drafted Beasley and now are on top again. In the NBA integrity gets you nowhere, be first or last don't be in the middle.
eric nyc

New York, NY

#20 May 25, 2009
hahn:

RETREAD ARTICLE--LEBRON'S COMING HERE LIKE IS A PIPE DREAM--THEN U REVEAL YOUR WEAK ASS JOURNALISTIC CHOPS BY INVOKING ALLEN HOUSTON'S COURTING BY THE KNICKS---WORST THING SIGNING OF HOUSTON--SCREWED UP SALARY CAP---

amazing winnicki gave u this gig

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#21 May 25, 2009
The NBA's wet dream is to have Lebron James in NY, playing for the Knicks. If it doesn't happen I'll be surprised.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#22 May 25, 2009
Saluki Rod wrote:
The NBA's wet dream is to have Lebron James in NY, playing for the Knicks. If it doesn't happen I'll be surprised.
With the Chinese now owning a stake in the Cavaliers, I can see LeBron thinking his goal to be the 1st billionaire athlete can come to fruition. Can one imagine the cross promotion platform that would exist in mainland China with 1.4 billion people?...

Don't think he's going anywhere, especially if the NBA approves the sale...

Location hidden

#23 Jun 2, 2009
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
With the Chinese now owning a stake in the Cavaliers, I can see LeBron thinking his goal to be the 1st billionaire athlete can come to fruition. Can one imagine the cross promotion platform that would exist in mainland China with 1.4 billion people?...
Don't think he's going anywhere, especially if the NBA approves the sale...
lebron James is not going to leave Cleveland, and people need to get the "Lebron's coming to New York" fantasy out of their heads.
It's unrealistic to believe he will leave his hometown team, especially if they remain perrenial contenders.
I'm a die hard Knick fan and realistic when it comes to him.
We don't need an unportsman like, sore loser anyway no matter how talented.
One man cannot beat a team of 5 by himself, that's been proven over and over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Pistons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sorry, Denver, Chauncey belongs to Detroit Oct '14 Steve 2
News Trade Season: Detroit Dealin' (Jan '14) May '14 Will 2
News Report: Isiah Thomas could replace ex-backcourt... (Mar '14) Apr '14 Pearl Heyboer 2
News Lillard's shot lifts Blazers over Pistons in OT (Dec '13) Dec '13 Ravishankar kumar 1
News Heat seek revenge against Pistons (Dec '13) Dec '13 NFL STREAM 2
News 2014 NBA Mock Draft: A Very Early Look at Next ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 mars 2
News What they're saying: Tom Gores says Pistons nee... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Umberto Menghi 1
More from around the web