Quick-learning Rose changes plans

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Remember all the talk from last June about bringing Derrick Rose along slowly and not burdening a rookie owning one season of college experience with too many expectations? Well, forget about all that.
Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Oct 12, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nolo

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 7, 2008
 
yes..... thats what i'm talking about.....now lets play some ball..........LETS GO BULLS.......
Michael P Coy

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 8, 2008
 
Kirk has to go! Talik about the teachers pet.......
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 8, 2008
 
not a surprise. and to me, there would be worse implications if he DIDN'T start. this isn't a championship team from last year, we sucked dude. there will be expectations with any team but if you have a guy drafted #1 and he's on the bench, people will start asking "why did you draft him then".#1 picks start. they're not 6th men on teams that were in the lottery. maybe if we made the finals or something but, c'mon.
Pippen

Ellicott City, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 8, 2008
 
When you honestly look at the best guards on the Chicago Bulls team between Rose, Hinrich, Stefolasha,Gordon, Washington, Hughes; Hinrich, is clearly not better than Ben Gordon, Thabo Stefolasha, or Larry Hughes. It is laughable to think otherwise. Rose and Thabo should start-two rookies. Bring Gordon, and Larry Hughes off the bench; Wahington is new. Trade Kirk Hinrich. Don't need him nor his bias and overblown high salary. Kirk makes 11.250 million. Ben makes 4.8; Deng 6 million. What? And Nicioni who plays better than Kirk, makes 8.5 million. The Bulls will not have the best players on the court starting Kirk. Kirk is not a point guard. Kirk is a shooting guard; however, Kirk has difficulty getting his shot off, has problems driving to the hoop, and can't take no opponent to the basket. The Bulls must have their White Mascot: Kirk, Paxston types. As long as Jerry runs the team and Paxton is the GM, Kirk will start. And I don't have a problem with Kirk because he is white. Bird was one of the best players in the NBA, and there are a lot more; but, Kirk is overmatched and he is not a starter and is not better than the other guards on that team. Thabo is great, but, they don't want us to see him play 60 minutes because he would make Kirk look like a college player. Ben Gordons contributions speaks for themselves. Kirk needs to score 25 points a game, give out 10 assist, and go to the line 10 times a game. He does neither.
Mgray

Riverdale, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 8, 2008
 
Kirk needs 2 be the 12th man on this team. Enough said. The guy has ZERO trade value.
jumpmanjay

Hinsdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 8, 2008
 
Pippen wrote:
When you honestly look at the best guards on the Chicago Bulls team between Rose, Hinrich, Stefolasha,Gordon, Washington, Hughes; Hinrich, is clearly not better than Ben Gordon, Thabo Stefolasha, or Larry Hughes. It is laughable to think otherwise. Rose and Thabo should start-two rookies. Bring Gordon, and Larry Hughes off the bench; Wahington is new. Trade Kirk Hinrich. Don't need him nor his bias and overblown high salary. Kirk makes 11.250 million. Ben makes 4.8; Deng 6 million. What? And Nicioni who plays better than Kirk, makes 8.5 million. The Bulls will not have the best players on the court starting Kirk. Kirk is not a point guard. Kirk is a shooting guard; however, Kirk has difficulty getting his shot off, has problems driving to the hoop, and can't take no opponent to the basket. The Bulls must have their White Mascot: Kirk, Paxston types. As long as Jerry runs the team and Paxton is the GM, Kirk will start. And I don't have a problem with Kirk because he is white. Bird was one of the best players in the NBA, and there are a lot more; but, Kirk is overmatched and he is not a starter and is not better than the other guards on that team. Thabo is great, but, they don't want us to see him play 60 minutes because he would make Kirk look like a college player. Ben Gordons contributions speaks for themselves. Kirk needs to score 25 points a game, give out 10 assist, and go to the line 10 times a game. He does neither.
when you honestly read your comment, clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
socrates g

Bellefontaine, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 8, 2008
 
pressure the boiler is on overload and ready to pop this rose can't afford to have any thorn's number one pick needs to show number one play
Brian

Carbondale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 8, 2008
 
Pippen wrote:
When you honestly look at the best guards on the Chicago Bulls team between Rose, Hinrich, Stefolasha,Gordon, Washington, Hughes; Hinrich, is clearly not better than Ben Gordon, Thabo Stefolasha, or Larry Hughes. It is laughable to think otherwise. Rose and Thabo should start-two rookies. Bring Gordon, and Larry Hughes off the bench; Wahington is new. Trade Kirk Hinrich. Don't need him nor his bias and overblown high salary. Kirk makes 11.250 million. Ben makes 4.8; Deng 6 million. What? And Nicioni who plays better than Kirk, makes 8.5 million. The Bulls will not have the best players on the court starting Kirk. Kirk is not a point guard. Kirk is a shooting guard; however, Kirk has difficulty getting his shot off, has problems driving to the hoop, and can't take no opponent to the basket. The Bulls must have their White Mascot: Kirk, Paxston types. As long as Jerry runs the team and Paxton is the GM, Kirk will start. And I don't have a problem with Kirk because he is white. Bird was one of the best players in the NBA, and there are a lot more; but, Kirk is overmatched and he is not a starter and is not better than the other guards on that team. Thabo is great, but, they don't want us to see him play 60 minutes because he would make Kirk look like a college player. Ben Gordons contributions speaks for themselves. Kirk needs to score 25 points a game, give out 10 assist, and go to the line 10 times a game. He does neither.
you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about... "Kirk needs to score 25 points a game, give out 10 assist, and go to the line 10 times a game."

These numbers aren't realistic for any NBA player... Only 2 players in the NBA went to the line over ten times a game last season(Wade and Kobe), how the hell would Hinrich get to the line more then anyone else in the NBA. Magic Johnson, John Stockton, or Isiah Thomas never even averaged 25 and 10 and they are considered the greatest point guards of all time.

And what are you talking about with 60 minutes? NBA games are 48 minutes long, how the hell would Thabo play for 60 minutes?
No time for Bull

Harvey, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 8, 2008
 
jumpmanjay wrote:
<quoted text>
when you honestly read your comment, clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
Sorry jumpman, your boy has been exposed for some time now. He does not have any trade value or skills. This fact really shows in the playoffs where he is matched against the best players in the league. You should jumpman on Orton's bandwagon while he's hot cause kirk will not fit in with this now very atheletic team. With this economy how long can this team waste that kind of money and the Bulls have no need to package him with anyone other than Gordon and to give up half of almost your back court to get rid of him is risky and who would you get in return? CUT GROSSMAN I mean KIRK, move on!!!
Tired of the Idiots

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 8, 2008
 
Pippen wrote:
When you honestly look at the best guards on the Chicago Bulls team between Rose, Hinrich, Stefolasha,Gordon, Washington, Hughes; Hinrich, is clearly not better than Ben Gordon, Thabo Stefolasha, or Larry Hughes. It is laughable to think otherwise. Rose and Thabo should start-two rookies. Bring Gordon, and Larry Hughes off the bench; Wahington is new. Trade Kirk Hinrich. Don't need him nor his bias and overblown high salary. Kirk makes 11.250 million. Ben makes 4.8; Deng 6 million. What? And Nicioni who plays better than Kirk, makes 8.5 million. The Bulls will not have the best players on the court starting Kirk. Kirk is not a point guard. Kirk is a shooting guard; however, Kirk has difficulty getting his shot off, has problems driving to the hoop, and can't take no opponent to the basket. The Bulls must have their White Mascot: Kirk, Paxston types. As long as Jerry runs the team and Paxton is the GM, Kirk will start. And I don't have a problem with Kirk because he is white. Bird was one of the best players in the NBA, and there are a lot more; but, Kirk is overmatched and he is not a starter and is not better than the other guards on that team. Thabo is great, but, they don't want us to see him play 60 minutes because he would make Kirk look like a college player. Ben Gordons contributions speaks for themselves. Kirk needs to score 25 points a game, give out 10 assist, and go to the line 10 times a game. He does neither.
Uh... last I checked Gordon and Deng turned down ridiculously high salary offers that would have put them on par with Kirk, so I'm trying to figure out how your point that they're making less than him is even relevant to the obtuse argument you make.

Like most idiots, you have to toss race in here, refering to Kirk as the White Mascot. Not sure why you'd do that if you don't have a problem with the fact that he's white? I guess in your mind that's acceptable, yet if anyone referred to Gordon as a "token player" you'd probably shout racism.

And while Kirk isn't that great and probably shouldn't be starting, I'd still take him over Gordon. Gordon couldn't guard a houseplant, has the ball-handling skills of your average high schooler, and lacks the versatility to play any position other than the no. 2. Plus, Kirk's not the idiot that turned down an above-market offer for an extended contract, thus showing he's not dumb like a couple of other players on this team.

Gordon's the most expendable of the guards, and he should be GONE.
True Bulls Fan

Willow Springs, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 8, 2008
 
"white mascot" is totally the correct name for Kirk. Now if we can only get some sucker team to take him off our hands......
Ball Boy

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 8, 2008
 
Maybe Rose will lead by example and help Noah get his act together. These guys could be pretty good if that happens.
Florida Jim

Saint Cloud, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 8, 2008
 
Sounds very good at this early stage. Let's hope he doesn't drive anything with less than 4 wheels and dislikes alcohol.
I am a fan of Vinny and know he will be a good coach for the Bulls.
tim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 8, 2008
 
socrates g wrote:
pressure the boiler is on overload and ready to pop this rose can't afford to have any thorn's number one pick needs to show number one play
Can you diagram that sentence? Or maybe rephrase in English?
korndaddy_72

De Forest, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 8, 2008
 
i see y'all did the wake and bake this morning.STOP with gordon players that can score and play NO D and are midgits come off the bench!! there called sixth men.kirk is not the greatest player the league no but he can play D.remember the BULLS want to play D.rose will make kirk look good thats what great point guards do.GO BULLS!!!!!
acw

Berwyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 8, 2008
 
This is really great news. I was hopin' that rose would come into training camp and win the job outright. Now we need to begin to build and develop this team for the future. If John and Vinny had any cahunas, they would play the young guys the majority of the time. Who cares about Hughes and Gooden. They won't be in this picture in 2 years. Gooden is gone after this season and Hughes has 18-21 million coming off the books in 2010. Rose needs to start obviously. I would also like to see Thabo start at the 2. He played really well last year with extended minutes. Deng has solidified the 3 spot. Now in the front court, all I have been hearing about is how good Tyrus looks and how he has put on 20 lbs of muscle. Ok, then give the guy 30 min a game and forget about it. He needs playing time. When he got 25-35 min a game last year he was pretty consistent for 15 pts, 10 boards and a few blocks. This kid is a big part of our future so lets play him. Joakim needs to be our Tyson Chandler. Just give me 8-10 garbage pts, clean the glass for 10-12 boards and play solid d. That's all I need from him. No for the good stuff. We need to trade Hinrich. Package him for a serviceable front court player. Despite his struggles last season, he has some good value throughout the league. There is high demand for a point guard that plays steady d and will give you 12-14 pts and 6 assists. With Gooden, Hughes, Gordon, and hopefully Hinrich off the books in 2010 that gives us some ample cap space to make a run at a legitimate scorer ala Wade or James. That will be our year. We need to throw some serious cash their direction. Plus what top 2 guard wouldn't want to play with Rose. Could you imagine a back court of Rose (fully developed by that time into a top three pt. guard next to Paul and Williams) with a Wade or James? Then throw in Deng, Thomas (hopefully he takes the necessary steps this year), and Noah. You also have Thabo and Nocioni off your bench. That is a title contending squad right there. Bulls in 2010 baby!
paul g

Berwyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 8, 2008
 
acw wrote:
This is really great news. I was hopin' that rose would come into training camp and win the job outright. Now we need to begin to build and develop this team for the future. If John and Vinny had any cahunas, they would play the young guys the majority of the time. Who cares about Hughes and Gooden. They won't be in this picture in 2 years. Gooden is gone after this season and Hughes has 18-21 million coming off the books in 2010. Rose needs to start obviously. I would also like to see Thabo start at the 2. He played really well last year with extended minutes. Deng has solidified the 3 spot. Now in the front court, all I have been hearing about is how good Tyrus looks and how he has put on 20 lbs of muscle. Ok, then give the guy 30 min a game and forget about it. He needs playing time. When he got 25-35 min a game last year he was pretty consistent for 15 pts, 10 boards and a few blocks. This kid is a big part of our future so lets play him. Joakim needs to be our Tyson Chandler. Just give me 8-10 garbage pts, clean the glass for 10-12 boards and play solid d. That's all I need from him. No for the good stuff. We need to trade Hinrich. Package him for a serviceable front court player. Despite his struggles last season, he has some good value throughout the league. There is high demand for a point guard that plays steady d and will give you 12-14 pts and 6 assists. With Gooden, Hughes, Gordon, and hopefully Hinrich off the books in 2010 that gives us some ample cap space to make a run at a legitimate scorer ala Wade or James. That will be our year. We need to throw some serious cash their direction. Plus what top 2 guard wouldn't want to play with Rose. Could you imagine a back court of Rose (fully developed by that time into a top three pt. guard next to Paul and Williams) with a Wade or James? Then throw in Deng, Thomas (hopefully he takes the necessary steps this year), and Noah. You also have Thabo and Nocioni off your bench. That is a title contending squad right there. Bulls in 2010 baby!
Wow i hope you r right acw. This seems like a really legitimate plan. I like the thinking of the future. I just hope the players you mentioned take the necessary steps.
Mgray

Riverdale, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 8, 2008
 
ACW, when has Paxson shown the ability as a GM 2 do what u suggest? Paxson is one of the weakest GM's in pro sports.
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 8, 2008
 
Maybe the Bulls have actually lucked into a player, that's a team guy. It seems there's been so many players with their own agendas going on, hopefully it won't wear off on him.

Hopefully as well, Del Negro hasn't looked at past seasons box scores, or had Reinsdorf and Paxson whispering in his ear about which guy should do what, and simply judges everyone equally, on what he observes on the practice floor. I get so annoyed at watching teams that dish out p.t. over agendas, other than what's being done on the court.
Mr D

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Oct 8, 2008
 
Pippen wrote:
When you honestly look at the best guards on the Chicago Bulls team between Rose, Hinrich, Stefolasha,Gordon, Washington, Hughes; Hinrich, is clearly not better than Ben Gordon, Thabo Stefolasha, or Larry Hughes. It is laughable to think otherwise. Rose and Thabo should start-two rookies. Bring Gordon, and Larry Hughes off the bench; Wahington is new. Trade Kirk Hinrich. Don't need him nor his bias and overblown high salary. Kirk makes 11.250 million. Ben makes 4.8; Deng 6 million. What? And Nicioni who plays better than Kirk, makes 8.5 million. The Bulls will not have the best players on the court starting Kirk. Kirk is not a point guard. Kirk is a shooting guard; however, Kirk has difficulty getting his shot off, has problems driving to the hoop, and can't take no opponent to the basket. The Bulls must have their White Mascot: Kirk, Paxston types. As long as Jerry runs the team and Paxton is the GM, Kirk will start. And I don't have a problem with Kirk because he is white. Bird was one of the best players in the NBA, and there are a lot more; but, Kirk is overmatched and he is not a starter and is not better than the other guards on that team. Thabo is great, but, they don't want us to see him play 60 minutes because he would make Kirk look like a college player. Ben Gordons contributions speaks for themselves. Kirk needs to score 25 points a game, give out 10 assist, and go to the line 10 times a game. He does neither.
huh? this makes no sense....who or what is wahington?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••