Marbury Endorsing $14.98 Sneakers

Marbury Endorsing $14.98 Sneakers

There are 17 comments on the The Associated Press story from Aug 16, 2006, titled Marbury Endorsing $14.98 Sneakers . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Want to be like Steph? Well, it won't cost you much. Stephon Marbury now is endorsing a sneaker that costs just $14.98, a pittance when compared with the often daunting prices that companies such as Nike and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Cheryl

AOL

#1 Aug 17, 2006
Way to go Stephon! Finally, an NBA player who's conscience is more important than his pocketbook. Today's kids are far too influenced by role models who endorse a product they cannot afford. YOU are truly a SUPERSTAR!
ben

United States

#2 Aug 17, 2006
those shoes are hot
chichibrutus canton oh

Auburn Hills, MI

#3 Aug 18, 2006
I think that is great! Kids need to understand that you don't have to spend 120$ on shoes to be cool. Here's a hoop star echoing these sentiments. I got new found respect 4 steph.
H Hernandez

United States

#4 Aug 18, 2006
He's doing what anyone else who grew up in the hood should be doing. People commit crimes daily in order to afford the clothing of Sean "Puffy" Combs (Sean John), Jay-Z' Rocawear and S. Carters. Stephon is trying something that may change the way people view a pair of $100 shoes that cost a few cents to make.
lakers1

San Pedro, CA

#5 Aug 18, 2006
this is awesome... not only is he endorsing these shoes, but he's also going to wear them next season. So you know they're good quality shoes.

Unlike people that a CHEAP product that they don't even use such as....Esteban who markets a guitar that goes out of tune within a year and although its cheap, he doesn't use those guitars for his concerts...

But anyway, Stephon, you're the man! Hopefully this will start a trend amongst athletes and they realize that half of their fans can't afford their shoes or have to go through extreme measures to buy them.
BILLY

Akron, OH

#6 Aug 24, 2006
BRAVO SHAQ DOES IT AS WLL
markl5

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Aug 25, 2006
Shaq's been doing it for a few years now. Hakeem did it over his last few years with the Rockets.

This is not a new idea, but it certainly is a novel one.

Let's face it, Shaq doesn't need the money, but Stephon CERTAINLY needs a PR boost, so this may not be as altruistic as it is a needed shot in the arm to boost his public image. Marbury has had a rough few years. His life with Issiah and the Knicks has seen its share of hard knocks. When you proclaim yourself to be the "Best point guard in the game," you set yourself up for some harsh backlash, especially when you play for a crappy franchise like the NY Knicks.

There are some who would be quick to point out if Steph were a more marketable player he would be selling his name to the highest bidder. Truth is, his value in the marketplace is not the same as Wade, LeBron, or Iverson.

If the sneaker takes off this is news, but like the brother said, the $120 buck basketball sneaker is a social status statement not an exercise in ecconomic responsibiity. I will be interesting to see if the sneaker and its endorcer will be hot enough to warrent a "Starbury II."
richie

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Aug 27, 2006
i like what your shoes
richie

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Aug 27, 2006
i will buy them when it comes to ny
robbie

Columbus, OH

#10 Sep 18, 2006
awesome shoes.

ill buy them when they come to ill
robbie

Columbus, OH

#11 Sep 18, 2006
Cheryl wrote:
Way to go Stephon! Finally, an NBA player who's conscience is more important than his pocketbook. Today's kids are far too influenced by role models who endorse a product they cannot afford. YOU are truly a SUPERSTAR!
all day
Herman Mendoza

New York, NY

#12 Dec 13, 2006
You are truly an inspiration to young people leading by example by young people with an affordable sneaker. Thanks stephon I want my whole family to have your sneakers God bless you.
Mike Pascucci

Sparkill, NY

#13 Mar 11, 2007
Greatest Pair of sneakers I ever bought , very well made , look great and you can't beat the price . You couldn't find abetter pair of sneakers in 1976 for this price . Marbury is doing something great here and should be commended .
Lydia Lewis

Cave Creek, AZ

#14 May 21, 2007
Thank God for someone who is trying to teach our kids on the importance of what is important. Just because you have on a pair of $100 shoes does not mean anything.It is about how you carry yourself. My son is a up and coming basketball athelic, and his shoes were killing me financially because he needs good shoes to play ball in. But, thanks to you Stephon he not only look good but I am happy to let him know how you have made a good business choice for all of the families on ou team. Again thanks

Since: May 07

Pennsylvania

#15 May 21, 2007
I like what Marbury is doing. He designed good shoes and is selling them at an affordable price. It shows that he is not greedy, at least not financially. Other athletes and celebrities should follow his lead. Marbury is probably making some money for his shoes anyway.
AC Lady

Del Rio, TX

#16 Jun 10, 2007
Stephon Marbury is doing a wonderful thing. Thank goodness someone who did well for themself, finally got smart and remembered where they came from... Thanks for reaching out to all communities & coming up with a great way to remind our kids that Education is more important than wearing expensive shoes. Keep up the good work!
Also, I live in San Antonio, TX, where can I purchase Marbury shoes? My email address is [email protected]
today

Canton, MI

#17 Jun 12, 2007
Need to know the distributor in the michigan area in order to sell to schools

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lakers fans (Nov '07) 18 hr King Cod 79,780
How to jump higher Tue John Kovras 1
News Warriors' Draymond Green Not Suspended After St... Mon White guy 1
News Vogel ready to help Magic take next step Mon iosuser 1
News Lakers: Should LA Pursue Dwight Howard in Free ... May 22 Sam 3
NBA draft Lottery Con Job May 17 A Better Way 4
News 76ers, StubHub partner for first NBA jersey ad May 17 Cool 1
More from around the web