Patrick Ewing has been elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Apr 7, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WABC

Patrick Ewing, and Hakeem Olajuwon head the class of 2008 who were elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. via WABC

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Mar 30, 2013
zappa

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2008

Judged:

great, a true monster. came to play all the time. great shooter,shot blocker. he hade a hard time staying on his feet at times.. true knick fan, very happy.. go ny go.. patrick you forsure were the man,, ps almost as good as a championship.. hard to live with.
PREACHERWOMAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

I agree. Patrick you are the man...

MJR

Since: Apr 07

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

He deserves this honor. Congrats
J W Smooth

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2008

All jokes a side, What did he do to get the HOF, especially on the first ballot?
venom

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2008

J W Smooth wrote:
All jokes a side, What did he do to get the HOF, especially on the first ballot?
He dominated his position and raised the NY franchise. If not for MJ being in Chicago those same years, Patrick would have won a few titles...but that could also said of Stockton, Malone and Barkley... who all lost to MJ in the Finals. It does not mean they are not HOF'ers.
J W Smooth

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2008

Judged:

venom wrote:
<quoted text>He dominated his position and raised the NY franchise. If not for MJ being in Chicago those same years, Patrick would have won a few titles...but that could also said of Stockton, Malone and Barkley... who all lost to MJ in the Finals. It does not mean they are not HOF'ers.
If ifs and butts were candy and nuts then everyday would be Christmas!!
venom

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

J W Smooth wrote:
<quoted text>If ifs and butts were candy and nuts then everyday would be Christmas!!
okay try this, if Bill Walton is in then Akeem and Ewing deserve first ballot. If there was a seperate HOF for NBA and college walton would not be in the one for the NBA....
stop quoting your grandma
J W Smooth

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2008

venom wrote:
<quoted text>okay try this, if Bill Walton is in then Akeem and Ewing deserve first ballot. If there was a seperate HOF for NBA and college walton would not be in the one for the NBA....
stop quoting your grandma
Hey Dude, It`s called how many rings do these Gents have, and how many does Patrick Ewing have? I rest my case!!
venom

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

J W Smooth wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Dude, It`s called how many rings do these Gents have, and how many does Patrick Ewing have? I rest my case!!
Walton having a ring doesn't make him a better NBA player than Stockton, Malone, Akeem or Ewing. Walton got lucky (like Danny Ainge) and rode the Bird/Parrish/MCHale wave in Boston. He was a fragile scrub mosts of the rest of his NBA career.
J W Smooth

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2008

Judged:

venom wrote:
<quoted text>Walton having a ring doesn't make him a better NBA player than Stockton, Malone, Akeem or Ewing. Walton got lucky (like Danny Ainge) and rode the Bird/Parrish/MCHale wave in Boston. He was a fragile scrub mosts of the rest of his NBA career.
I`m a long time Pirate fan,( don`t tell anyone), Willy Stargell got in on the first ballot. Even I guessed why. To me first ballots are for the truly all time greats. Willy struck out more than anyone in Major league history. To me that is not first ballot. Patrick Ewing could have made sometime, but the first ballot to me was rushing it. I am allowed to have me own opinion!!
venom

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2008

J W Smooth wrote:
<quoted text>I`m a long time Pirate fan,( don`t tell anyone), Willy Stargell got in on the first ballot. Even I guessed why. To me first ballots are for the truly all time greats. Willy struck out more than anyone in Major league history. To me that is not first ballot. Patrick Ewing could have made sometime, but the first ballot to me was rushing it. I am allowed to have me own opinion!!
Actually Mickey Mantle Struck out and Reggie Jackson was close and no one questions their going first ballot. Stargell was the top at his position for an extended period.
The Yanks Mattingly was also for his time but I guess playing only 10 years was not enough. If a dominant college player but mediocre pro like Bill Walton belongs in Patrick belongs in first ballot. the difference between Dwight Howard and the 'old' guys like Akeem, Ewing, Shaq (Duncan , robinson) is that they had to play each other.
J W Smooth

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2008

venom wrote:
<quoted text>Actually Mickey Mantle Struck out and Reggie Jackson was close and no one questions their going first ballot. Stargell was the top at his position for an extended period.
The Yanks Mattingly was also for his time but I guess playing only 10 years was not enough. If a dominant college player but mediocre pro like Bill Walton belongs in Patrick belongs in first ballot. the difference between Dwight Howard and the 'old' guys like Akeem, Ewing, Shaq (Duncan , robinson) is that they had to play each other.
I have my opinion of first timers, you have yours. Case closed!!
BIG PATRICK FAN

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

PATRICK IS UNQUESTIONABLY A FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER. WILLIS REED CALLED HIM "WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE GREATEST KNICK OF ALL TIME"..AND HE MEANT IT.
IN ADDITION, PATRICK MADE "THE 50 GREATEST EVER"
LIST.
HAKEEM CALLED HIM "MY GREATEST COMPETITION."
MJ SAID "PATRICK HAS THE HEART OF A CHAMPION. WHEN YOU THOUGHT ABOUT NEW YORK, YOU THOUGHT OF PATRICK EWING."
J W Smooth

Bradford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

BIG PATRICK FAN wrote:
PATRICK IS UNQUESTIONABLY A FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER. WILLIS REED CALLED HIM "WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE GREATEST KNICK OF ALL TIME"..AND HE MEANT IT.
IN ADDITION, PATRICK MADE "THE 50 GREATEST EVER"
LIST.
HAKEEM CALLED HIM "MY GREATEST COMPETITION."
MJ SAID "PATRICK HAS THE HEART OF A CHAMPION. WHEN YOU THOUGHT ABOUT NEW YORK, YOU THOUGHT OF PATRICK EWING."
Imgine, All those things and no ring!!
BIG PATRICK FAN

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

True..... but there's still gotta' be a reason those great guys all said that stuff. And there's gotta' be a reason Patrick was voted one of the "50 Greatest"...and voted to the HOF on his first shot. Here is another thought... I know you don't like "ifs and buts". Fair enough, but if John Starks 3 point attempt goes down at the end of game 6 with the Rockets in '94, then we are not even having this conversation. Everyone would then be calling Patrick one of the very best of all time. Right or wrong??
J W Smooth

Bradford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2008

venom wrote:
<quoted text>Actually Mickey Mantle Struck out and Reggie Jackson was close and no one questions their going first ballot. Stargell was the top at his position for an extended period.
Big Willy and Clemente use to go round & round cause Stargell was lazy, or doesn`t that matter?
IA Know

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

J W Smooth wrote:
<quoted text>I`m a long time Pirate fan,( don`t tell anyone), Willy Stargell got in on the first ballot. Even I guessed why. To me first ballots are for the truly all time greats. Willy struck out more than anyone in Major league history. To me that is not first ballot. Patrick Ewing could have made sometime, but the first ballot to me was rushing it. I am allowed to have me own opinion!!
You are a damn joke. The HOF is not NBA only. Ewing was one of the best college players ever. Shove your opinion up something and hide.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NBA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lakers fans (Nov '07) 22 min The Waterboy 72,098
Lakers coaching search: NBA experts weigh in wh... Aug 23 lake4life 21
Ex-Hoosier Zeller embraces NBA learning Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
LeBron James Gives Wade, Bosh Cold Shoulder, Tr... Aug 15 sam 5
Jeremy Lin Manhood Size Discussions Reveal Raci... (Feb '12) Aug 15 sam 21
Can Sebastian Telfair salvage his career in Cle... (Apr '10) Aug 13 johnny 44
Lost Akron: What long-gone landmarks do you miss? Aug 13 Tyrees Baby Mama 21

Search the NBA Basketball Forum:
•••
•••