|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Showtime wrote:
<quoted text> As for the marketing thing, yeah the NBA needed every bit of Jordan cause the 90s sucked ass, Magic and Bird saved the NBA, and Jordan took the torch and continued what they started, the nba was hot enough to watch already cause of magic and bird, Jordan fed off of what they did and Nike and all of these other companies wanted a piece of JOrdan.
lol Show. Yea maybe I am stuck in time. However I do have the opportunity to see the present to. Many in here have not even witnessed the past to make that comparison. To answer all three answers in one. I agree with you on alot of points , more so on the comment of rule changes and era for sure. MJ was good for his time. However I will say it again, mentally these guys are no where near and never experienced what MJ went through at least not yet.Which is why I rate this guy way up there. Not even Kobe.I really don't see any of these guys close to what MJ accomplished in may aspects. I mentionen the age thing and correct my math.When Jordan entered the league you were no older than 5? No way you could understand by simply watching reruns on you tube or let alone pick up on others opinion with out watching earlier in his career. In fact what you probably witnessed was him getting older and even then he was that much better. His game changed. Dude went through hell and back before his team even gained respect. I could write a book. We will always come back to era regardless and there are major differences.Thats what makes it difficult to say MJ kobe lbj so on and so on is the best. Now let me ask you. Is it him as a person that gets under your skin? the fame? glory? what is it? you can't knock him down for his abilities I know that.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Showtime wrote:
<quoted text> As for the marketing thing, yeah the NBA needed every bit of Jordan cause the 90s sucked ass, Magic and Bird saved the NBA, and Jordan took the torch and continued what they started, the nba was hot enough to watch already cause of magic and bird, Jordan fed off of what they did and Nike and all of these other companies wanted a piece of JOrdan.
Truthfully though Show, When MJ entered the scene the Bird/Magic thing took alot of limelight from them. Its only finals that gave them that extra edge. Bird by the late 80's early 90's was done that gave him what 10 yrs and then Magic days were ending by the piston era late 80's. So they (magic and Bird) didn't pass much of a torch in my eyes. First 3-4 yrs in the 80's and that was it. So he has had the marketing and league at his will all along. Again I ask, is he faulted for that? billions of nba material was sold based on a guys success. If youare looking to ever rid that from ESPN , its not happening.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Showtime wrote:
Jordan fell off of what they did? I trying to understand that. If you ask me MJ was unique in is own way. Smart enough to wear odd looking coloured (red) shoes where he was told to cover up by guess who? Mr.Stern , which created a whole load of controversy and with Spike Lee at his side blew it up. To a huge Marketing campaign and eventually his own shoe. Magic and Bird never had that. I don't quite think he fell off of Converse weapons, if thats what you are refering too.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

If one thinks bouncing a ball, dunking, alleyoops, running like a freight train, and stats that look like a PHD graduate's marks, to prove you are the best. Think twice. Far from that.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

sam wrote:
<quoted text>lol Show. Yea maybe I am stuck in time. However I do have the opportunity to see the present to. Many in here have not even witnessed the past to make that comparison. To answer all three answers in one. I agree with you on alot of points , more so on the comment of rule changes and era for sure. MJ was good for his time. However I will say it again, mentally these guys are no where near and never experienced what MJ went through at least not yet.Which is why I rate this guy way up there. Not even Kobe.I really don't see any of these guys close to what MJ accomplished in may aspects. I mentionen the age thing and correct my math.When Jordan entered the league you were no older than 5? No way you could understand by simply watching reruns on you tube or let alone pick up on others opinion with out watching earlier in his career. In fact what you probably witnessed was him getting older and even then he was that much better. His game changed. Dude went through hell and back before his team even gained respect. I could write a book. We will always come back to era regardless and there are major differences.Thats what makes it difficult to say MJ kobe lbj so on and so on is the best. Now let me ask you. Is it him as a person that gets under your skin? the fame? glory? what is it? you can't knock him down for his abilities I know that.
I see it like this Show. You know and you can dissect every Laker team and players going quite a ways back I am sure. I doubt anyone especially me, can tell you different as to what Kobe went through and crappy players , good times , marriage break up etc.. whatever. Its the same thing that I could dissect back then and I caught almost every Bull game and commentary. No lie. You have to live it and breath it not read it . It does make a difference. Its what I see and what you see are obviously 2 different things. You cannot judege the man in doomed 90's era, there is a story of MJ thats starts from the time he busted his ankle the first year. I have yet to see any player I don't care what era, retire and be told you will never be the same and no way you winning again. Come back and win three more.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

One more point I would like to add. What other choice of players do we really have other than MJ to listen to ESPN rant and rave about all day. What retired player (maybe Magic) still has clothing wear(including Hanes..lol) that still sells through the roof after retirement? What other NBA player who retired owns a team? Bird? Magic? Kareem? Its no wonder he gets the attention. So call me old but this is realism here.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

See its times like this when I think Colangelo needs to put down the pipe if this is in fact true.

The Raptors have also engaged the Sixers in conversations centered on Bargnani, sources said. No word on what the Sixers would need to offer in return, although a Western Conference executive suspects it would involve center Spencer Hawes.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Danny Ainge will not pull the trigger on a trade sending Rondo for Howard unless the Celtics receive assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston in the offseason
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Does this mean HI Lite might become a Laker fan after all?

The Los Angeles Lakers have engaged in preliminary discussions with the Boston Celtics on a trade centering on Dwight Howard and Rajon Rondo, according to sources.

The potential deal has not gained any traction, and other significant pieces would need to be involved.

The Lakers have adamantly stated publicly and privately that they will not deal Howard before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Danny Ainge will not pull the trigger on a trade sending Rondo for Howard unless the Celtics receive assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston in the offseason, according to a league source.
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Hmm Since we a on the topic of old and MJ's greatness(well to some) I thought chee what an appropriate post .

Turns out, Michael Jordan still pretty good at the basketball thing.

About a month ago Jordan, who turns 50 this weekend, challenged 19-year-old Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to a game of one-on-one after practice. Kidd-Gilchrist is the No. 2 pick of the Bobcats, the team Jordan owns.

“He did play me 1-on-1 one time,” Kidd-Gilchrist said on Friday morning before playing on Team Shaq in the Rising Stars Challenge Friday night.“And it was hard for me … I lost. I lost to a 50-year-old guy. That’s my boss, though. He’s the best player to play the game.”
sam

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

I guess Kidd Gilchrist is just another brained washed kid like millions
Ginobili

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

It is very painful to see the Lakers playing like this,especially when I am from the state of California and a Laker fan. Kobe may have the second losing season of his career if they do not right the ship. Pau need to be in the starting line-up ahead of Earl clark, Nash need to be a pt guard and KoMe need to be a SG. Pau and DW12 can play a double post.

“Timshel”

Since: Jan 12

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

sam wrote:
One more point I would like to add. What other choice of players do we really have other than MJ to listen to ESPN rant and rave about all day. What retired player (maybe Magic) still has clothing wear(including Hanes..lol) that still sells through the roof after retirement? What other NBA player who retired owns a team? Bird? Magic? Kareem? Its no wonder he gets the attention. So call me old but this is realism here.
Preach on Sammy! I could read all you want to write about Jordan all day! You hit the nail on the head when you said you had to WATCH it and LIVE it back then. I was fortunate to get WGN on my local cable here in Oklahoma back then and I watched every game the aired on top of the nationally televised Bulls games.

Answer this Sammy, in any given game...4th quarter, 4 minutes or less to go, Bulls down by however many and Jordan has the ball(I'm getting goose bumps just writing this)...Were you standing up wherever you were watching the game and saying aloud or to yourself - You've got this Jordan, do him, he can't guard you - and many more times than not, Jordan makes those shots, brings the Bulls back to a victory...It's hard to explain. The man rarely ever let us down. No other athlete I've ever seen has been able to do that time and time again and I'm a massive supporter of Manchester United since the 90's, the 9ers since the 80's, obviously the Bulls and Lakers for decades and all of the athletes on those teams I love non can come close to Jordan in the way he made you feel when you loved him when it was crunch time and the way he made you feel if you hated him when it was crunch time because like him or not, you knew Jordan was going to will a victory one way or another. Unprecedented and unrivaled to this day and for the foreseeable future.

“Timshel”

Since: Jan 12

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Sammy, you remember MJ was the first to wear the long, baggy shorts and made it the thing to do too?

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Showtime wrote:
<quoted text> I know stern demands you talk to the media in the playoffs, and allstar games, not sure about every single game, if he does demand it then he is not taking players mental issues into consideration, stern never does take players mental status into consideration, thats why he calls for quick techs so they cant show emotion, I cant dislike stern more than I already do now.
Well I know the team needs to open the locker room for the media after games, and on national tv games or playoffs some players need to go to the media room to deal with the press, who decides who goes out not sure, it's not the whole team to answer questions.

Well I guess you are super happy that this is Stern last season, who would you like as the new commissioner?

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

_Jusayin_ wrote:
Sammy, you remember MJ was the first to wear the long, baggy shorts and made it the thing to do too?
Actually you are wrong that, Shaq and Webber are the one credit for that,not MJ

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

sam wrote:
Does this mean HI Lite might become a Laker fan after all?
The Los Angeles Lakers have engaged in preliminary discussions with the Boston Celtics on a trade centering on Dwight Howard and Rajon Rondo, according to sources.
The potential deal has not gained any traction, and other significant pieces would need to be involved.
The Lakers have adamantly stated publicly and privately that they will not deal Howard before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
Danny Ainge will not pull the trigger on a trade sending Rondo for Howard unless the Celtics receive assurance that Howard would re-sign with Boston in the offseason, according to a league source.
Lakers are stupid if they do that trade and the answer would be no..ha ha ha

He new favorite player would Howard...lol

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

sam wrote:
I guess Kidd Gilchrist is just another brained washed kid like millions
If he was drafted by MJ probably explain why he would lose to a 50 yrs dude.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Black Mamba wrote:
<quoted text> You bring up a great point because we are only 3 games behind for that 8th spot and the 8th seed in the west for some years now has had a low 40 plus win total. Like you said they still need to take care of their end first. Right now they are a mess, but still have a chance in the 2nd half of the season. The margin for error is very slim.
Yeah margin small when you think houston , but when you put the Utah and Warrior choking the margin gets a bit bigger in my opinion.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

sam wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO , don't make excuses for them RR."The Lakers probably just wanted to go into the all star weekend and get this week over, they didn't care to win just wanted it to be over"
Really? Sorry but I actually find that quite humourous. That sounds more like a team who secured a 3rd place in the standings in April. I believe they can make the playoffs but if thats the attitude."fat chance"
You missed my earlier post about the clippers just being that good, but what I meant by it is that the Lakers just gave up they just want to get to the break.
Look you can tell when you are out played, but you can also tell when you get out played and you are not even trying as well.

The Lakers didn't play inspired bball there was no hustle, credit to the clippers they clearly wanted more.

But like I said you can tell when a team is trying their best and still get beat.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 59,421 - 59,440 of67,715
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the NBA Basketball Forum right now

Search the NBA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Knicks looking for hometown discount from Anthony 10 hr Aldridge 1
Knicks fire coach Mike Woodson, rest of staff Wed bigtool 3
Oakland: With Warriors gone, Coliseum City face... Wed Laughing Buford 7
Would Phil Jackson Have Fixed the Los Angeles L... Tue The Water Bouy 3
Carmelo Anthony, Wes Johnson, Dion Waiters faci... Apr 19 bruno piretti 1
Anthony may sit out Knicks' last 2 games Apr 16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
where can buy the Cheap jordan 11s Apr 15 Cheap jordan 11s for sale 1
•••
•••