McGloin now a starter in Oakland?

McGloin now a starter in Oakland?

There are 35 comments on the CNN story from Nov 18, 2013, titled McGloin now a starter in Oakland?. In it, CNN reports that:

Again, the Raiders are courting a quarterback quandary. Matt McGloin's performance in the Oakland Raiders' 28-23 victory over the Houston Texans and their previously top-ranked defense, along with Terrelle Pryor's recent regression and right knee injury, would suggest so.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#21 Nov 20, 2013
SIlver Fan wrote:
Why not convert Pryor to a WR in the offseason...I think he would be an outstanding WR, with the added benefit of also being a very serviceable backup QB...save a roster spot.
I thought about moving him to Running back my self. I think he could be the next Slash (Kordell Stewart).
RaiderFaith

United States

#22 Nov 20, 2013
He won't move someone will pick him up and give him a shot at qb.
SIlver Fan

Cape Coral, FL

#23 Nov 20, 2013
I can't argue that logic either as I considered the same thing, but I see our WR position as an area of great need. He played WR a looooong time ago in school. He knows the routes. I think he would be a great one. I am so happy the Raiders are gonna dump DMac in the offseason. I really like Jennings and can't wait to see a healthy Murray. I am really hoping Murray is not a softie. He had a slight foot injury and he is missing the entire year, sounds like Ford....who I also think is total garbage. I wonder if the Raiders are pulling the plug on the Hayden experiment? They put him on IR for a slight hamstring injury? It sounds to me like they are not very impressed with the young man. I really hope McG lights Tennessee up, I am really pulling for this guy and hope he is not a 1 game wonder.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

" I DA HO " !

#25 Nov 20, 2013
Mclovin' to start!, and dj hayden to go on season ending injury!
RAIDERS 2013!!!!
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#26 Nov 20, 2013
SIlver Fan wrote:
Some of you guys crack me up. I'm not going to go so far as to say the McGloin was the second coming of Peyton Manning, but he played an excellent game, all around. Stop with the defending our WR's, they were AWFUL, McGloins numbers would have even been better if we didn't have a group of inept clowns at the WR position (with the exception of Streeter). Ford, and Moore are total garbage. The jury is out on Holmes, but might not be too bad given some more playing time. Shoot, even Marcel dropped a PERFECT pass that hit him chest high in the hands that could have been a huge gain for the Raiders. McGloin looked like a seasoned veteran...commanded the huddle, no delay of games, no periods of confusion....no PANIC whatsoever. His passes and decision making were lightning fast. Bottom line, he played the game like an NFL QB should play....patient, stayed in the pocket and scored 3 times in the red zone. The ONLY thing Pryor has over McGloin is that he is faster and more elusive. I'll take McGloin's skill set over Pryor's anyday.
If you took my comments as defending the WRs, I wasn't. I was defending Moore and Ford on two drops. In both cases, they were running across the field and closest body-part that McGloin threw to was their butt. They were bad throws. As far as the WRs, I would include Streater as far as needing improvement. Having said that, none of these guys are high round draft picks.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#27 Nov 20, 2013
RaiderFaith wrote:
I look at it differently. His running the ball is a liability not an advantage. Sure he can save a loss of yards and sometimes turn it into a gain. But the running so well has taken focus of passing. And opens him to injury. If I am not mistaken he has been injured twice already this season. So I look at his running as a short term positive but not a long term answer. I am not saying McGloin is the answer. It was only one game, not near enough to make that kind of judgement. But he did enough to warrant another start. <quoted text>
As far as injuries, the concussion was not a designed running play. It wasn't much of a run, until he was about to get sacked near the endzone and he ducked his head at the wrong time and received helmet to helmet contact. As far as the leg injury, I am not sure anyone know when he hurt the knee. I would understand your viewpoint better if the Raiders ran the wishbone or wildcat with Pryor at the helm. Instead, the last couple of games, he did not run many read-option plays. If anything the last couple of games, he did not use his mobility to gain yard. If a QB has a 3 second clock, Brady or Manning has to throw the ball away. Prior has the ability to pick a couple of yards. The last couple of games, he was holding on the ball to long. I believe he sack fumble against the Giants, he held the ball for over four seconds. He was not doing that in earlier games. The point is that Pryor is threat to run when he drops back to throw. It is something that the Defense has to account for. If he can develop as a passer, that is a great combination. To me, he does not drop back looking to run and how you describe him, is not who he is.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#28 Nov 20, 2013
As far as putting Pryor at a different position or stating that he will be picked up by another team as if the team will cut him is ridiculous. People need to take a step back and realize where the Raiders started the season at the position. They offered a contract to Palmer without guarantees that he could not sign. They started the season with 4 QBs with starts between; and Pryor was the only guy to start a game the previous season. People are talking playoffs, making this into a QB Competition and choosing sides. Instead the goal is to find out what these guys can do and can they play. Pryor is a good prospect and will stick around. Pryor is hurt and his legs effect his game more than say other types of injuries he may sustain. He has room to grow in the passing game. McGloin has to show that he can sustain long drives; he had a lot of three and outs. McGloin has to show that he can take punishment. He did not take the biggest of hits and he was grimacing in pain. It is concerning. The point is that the Raiders best interests are for both to do well.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#29 Nov 20, 2013
RAIDER MISTERIO OG wrote:
<quoted text>well don't get confused with my comments freddy, i'm blindly speaking!(lol), i didn't see the game! but as far as talking about comfort level?, i gotta say the team looked very comfortable as far as me watching replays! when terrelle pryor came into the game, everyone looked comfortable because in comes this guy that was making explosive plays on his own! which was cool at the time?, but it got old sort of quick. he's flashy with a lot of self production with no results. looking at this game with mclovin, there were faults with the (wr's) as i'm told and read. but yet enough production all around "offensively speaking". and it all had to do with mcgloin in command. listen, it is pryor's job to lose but here's the biggest chance in the world to stay in the playoff race! mclovin? or pryor? based on the way the coach sounds? i don't see pryor getting back on the driver seat. it's unfair and may be unfair, but coaches want to win. "(BIG MISTAKE)" if he doesn't start mcgloin whether pryor is healthy or not! and even if we lose the next game? do you really want to go back to terrelle pryor because of comfort level? because he was the starter?.. i don't know?, but i saw enough to want to give this kid a chance that has picked up the game plan so quick and has produced touchdowns and win.
I VOTE MCGLOIN! i vote mcgloin cause, cause, well,,, that could make a big difference in who gets to stay and get fired and the direction of the team for next season?! not ride, but, put mcgloin in the driver seat i say for the rest of the season. i hear and saw enough!
GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!
RAIDERS 2013!!!
To clarify, my point about comfort level was not Pryor starting as a QB. My point about comfort level is that Pryor did not look comfortable wearing the knee brace. I don't know his history, but it appeared that was the first time wearing the brace in a game. He was draggin his "dead" leg around like his foot was in a bucket of dried cement. You could tell it was effecting his thought process or game. The knee may be a lot worse than what they are allowing us to know.

“PLAY TO WIN”

" I DA HO " !

#30 Nov 21, 2013
the knee may be a lot worse than what pryor was allowing the coaches to know freddy. the only thing that i really feel affected pryor's ability with the brace, was his running! i know i get a lil sarcastic here and there but in reality, pryor may be a good football player but not for this team, or this team may not be for terrelle pryor?. i know he wants to be here.he is the type of (qb) that many fans and coaches dream of but he just wasn't set up for this type of scheme with d allen and olson. pryor was lucky they didn't let him go earlier before the beginning of the season. and i gotta say, with good reason they let him stay because of mark davis. "rumors". and, terrelle pryor proved that he could be a starter and he earned his spot in the lineup! like i said, he's a fan's dream of a (qb), and maybe even d allen and olson too but pryor simply just didn't keep up with scoring points. there are so many good qualities about him but not for this team. listen, i'm going in circles about pryor. the coaches may sugar coat his stay, but i bet he's not in the RAIDERS future? he has another year contract and may be in good interest to keep him BECAUSE of the (qb's) we have, but still not enough good reason. specially if mcgloin puts out and t wilson steps up. even so then? we may still get a new (qb) in the draft and if they can? they will still trade pryor for whatever gives the RAIDERS value for the team.
I SAW ENOUGH OF PRYOR! i'm sure the coaches are done with pryor. silly to say but do you realy see pryor as a future here? good trade bait!
RAIDERS 2013!!!!
RaiderFaith

United States

#31 Nov 21, 2013
My comment on going to another team, was purely a statement that he would seek work elsewhere as a qb before moving to another position. I don't think they are in a rush to move him. Plus he would be a good back up. I know hat you said in the previous post that he has been patient the last few games. He was and I wasn't impressed. Sure it would take time. But I am just not convinced he is our answer moving forward. If McGloin can be consistent, its a no brainer he gives us a better chance to win. WR's said after the game they were dropping balls because they were use to the speed of the passes. That should get better with time. You also eluded to in another post that WR's drops weren't the difference of him having a monster game. Or that they weren't catchable.. there were a couple that weren't but there were more than a couple that were catchable . Even the WR's acknowledged the drops. I understand Pryor showed flashes and hasn't had the supporting cast. But I also have a gut feeling Pryor isn't the answer.
Freddy wrote:
As far as putting Pryor at a different position or stating that he will be picked up by another team as if the team will cut him is ridiculous. People need to take a step back and realize where the Raiders started the season at the position. They offered a contract to Palmer without guarantees that he could not sign. They started the season with 4 QBs with starts between; and Pryor was the only guy to start a game the previous season. People are talking playoffs, making this into a QB Competition and choosing sides. Instead the goal is to find out what these guys can do and can they play. Pryor is a good prospect and will stick around. Pryor is hurt and his legs effect his game more than say other types of injuries he may sustain. He has room to grow in the passing game. McGloin has to show that he can sustain long drives; he had a lot of three and outs. McGloin has to show that he can take punishment. He did not take the biggest of hits and he was grimacing in pain. It is concerning. The point is that the Raiders best interests are for both to do well.
Dannawally

Toledo, OH

#32 Nov 21, 2013
McGroin was known as Mr 'Pick Six' in the B1G. It won't be long before that tendency shows up again with Oakland. At least Pryor can run with the rock.

“PLAY TO WIN”

" I DA HO " !

#33 Nov 21, 2013
Dannawally wrote:
McGroin was known as Mr 'Pick Six' in the B1G. It won't be long before that tendency shows up again with Oakland. At least Pryor can run with the rock.
i'll take the risk rather than no (td's)!
RAIDERS 2013!!!!
Captain Canada

Virden, Canada

#34 Nov 21, 2013
Waaay too early to judge either QB, esp with different starters on the O-line each week, different receiver combos, dubious play-calling, etc, etc. I like some of what I've seen from both of them, but half a season is far to short a period of time for any young QB on an evolving offence to prove himself. "The most popular player on any team is usually the back-up QB". Spoken by some smart dude.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#35 Nov 22, 2013
RaiderFaith wrote:
My comment on going to another team, was purely a statement that he would seek work elsewhere as a qb before moving to another position. I don't think they are in a rush to move him. Plus he would be a good back up. I know hat you said in the previous post that he has been patient the last few games. He was and I wasn't impressed. Sure it would take time. But I am just not convinced he is our answer moving forward. If McGloin can be consistent, its a no brainer he gives us a better chance to win. WR's said after the game they were dropping balls because they were use to the speed of the passes. That should get better with time. You also eluded to in another post that WR's drops weren't the difference of him having a monster game. Or that they weren't catchable.. there were a couple that weren't but there were more than a couple that were catchable . Even the WR's acknowledged the drops. I understand Pryor showed flashes and hasn't had the supporting cast. But I also have a gut feeling Pryor isn't the answer. <quoted text>
I saw the game and heard the commentator call WR-drops when they were poorly thrown balls. The only real big-gain drop was Reece, and he is not a WR. The drop was not due to velocity. It was more due to Reece doing to much with the hands-technique/proper position and he flat out screwed it up. Regardless, if McGloin throws on target, Moore will catch the TD; Riveria will catch the TD; and Holmes will go up and get the ball. McGloin was not accurate every time and that is okay. As far as your gut feeling about Pryor. Fairly obvious that you have a distinct prejudice against the way he plays the position or someone like him represents the position. You have been beating that drum for a long time. When he does okay (against Pitt), don't hear too much. When he falters, you are on here beating the drumming hoping/asking people to join the band. Pryor threw for a lot of yards against the Eagles. That loss was on the Defense or the Eagles offense being great. The Giants game he held onto the ball too long. The coaches wanted him to trust the protection. Did he not run because of the that reason (over-coached) or was the leg hurting him. I think the knee played more of a factor. In general, I just think that everyone, including myself, needs to take a step back and let these two QBs grow. There is no sense in choosing one guy over the other at this time. And it certainly does not make sense to put one guy down to support your case for the QB you support. Why? What if McGloin has a 3 INT game this week. Are you going to bench him? Of course not. The Raiders have another few weeks to determine if they need another QB next year or not. As far as gut feelings, without naming names, people had the gut feeling that the Raiders would be just fine with Flynn at QB and be more than an adequate replacement for Palmer (some people's gut even said better than Palmer).
RaiderFaith

Garner, NC

#36 Nov 22, 2013
Big gain drop? Don't recall limiting drops to big gains?who is to say there nay not be yards after catch or a short gain for either a first down or better position for a first down. Games aren't always about big gains. I saw several passed in and out of hands, most of them catchable. Its OK if you view it differently, I would disagree. I probably didn't beat a drum after the Pitt game because we won. But I assure you by no means does that mean my view point waivers. If we won 10 games with Pryor starting I would still feel he is not the long term answer. Just not on board with the running qb. Not a long term answer.
Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>I saw the game and heard the commentator call WR-drops when they were poorly thrown balls. The only real big-gain drop was Reece, and he is not a WR. The drop was not due to velocity. It was more due to Reece doing to much with the hands-technique/proper position and he flat out screwed it up. Regardless, if McGloin throws on target, Moore will catch the TD; Riveria will catch the TD; and Holmes will go up and get the ball. McGloin was not accurate every time and that is okay. As far as your gut feeling about Pryor. Fairly obvious that you have a distinct prejudice against the way he plays the position or someone like him represents the position. You have been beating that drum for a long time. When he does okay (against Pitt), don't hear too much. When he falters, you are on here beating the drumming hoping/asking people to join the band. Pryor threw for a lot of yards against the Eagles. That loss was on the Defense or the Eagles offense being great. The Giants game he held onto the ball too long. The coaches wanted him to trust the protection. Did he not run because of the that reason (over-coached) or was the leg hurting him. I think the knee played more of a factor. In general, I just think that everyone, including myself, needs to take a step back and let these two QBs grow. There is no sense in choosing one guy over the other at this time. And it certainly does not make sense to put one guy down to support your case for the QB you support. Why? What if McGloin has a 3 INT game this week. Are you going to bench him? Of course not. The Raiders have another few weeks to determine if they need another QB next year or not. As far as gut feelings, without naming names, people had the gut feeling that the Raiders would be just fine with Flynn at QB and be more than an adequate replacement for Palmer (some people's gut even said better than Palmer).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lakers fans (Nov '07) 42 min Bewitched 79,802
Use NBA Sticker, Win NBA Prizes! All Free!!! Thu toolwizphotos 1
How to jump higher May 24 John Kovras 1
News Warriors' Draymond Green Not Suspended After St... May 23 White guy 1
News Vogel ready to help Magic take next step May 23 iosuser 1
News Lakers: Should LA Pursue Dwight Howard in Free ... May 22 Sam 3
NBA draft Lottery Con Job May 17 A Better Way 4
More from around the web