Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jo...

Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?

There are 12041 comments on the North County Times story from Apr 1, 2007, titled Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?. In it, North County Times reports that:

“Bout to get some rest, tonight should be a hard, tough and FUN game. Strength and honor. Two-4.”

By: LOREN NELSON - Staff Writer NO -- Kobe Bryant once scored 81 points in a single NBA game, a feat that is more confounding than it is astounding. via North County Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North County Times.

Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1883 Sep 6, 2007
patman wrote:
<quoted text>ah not much, the australian basketball starts up in about 2-3 weeks, i have my membership hehe. cant wait for the new nba season. ill be on the boards more.
ciao down
thats good to hear, I cant wait for the nba season either, hope all goes well with your austrailian basketball, I wonder if you guys will compete in the olympics.
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1884 Sep 6, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
I think what we're looking at here is a difference between 'best player' and 'most talented'.
When you are talking about all around game, Kobe is perhaps the most talented (IMO - you could make a strong argument for Lebron James or Tracey McGrady, maybe a few others as well). They can do things that most other players can only dream of, Tim Duncan included.
However, I can see how Duncan's devotion to the team concept, defensive ability, the fact that he doesn't play outside of his talent level, and the fact that he does everything needed to win a game, probably make him a strong candidate for being the best player.
I guess it depends on your definition of the best player, I dont think you can compare big mans game to a perimeter game its just two different worlds, potentially duncan can dominate in more ways by playing good interior defense, blocking shots, rebounding scoring, setting screens, but the number one stat in basketball and the most important is scoring, because the game is really simple when you think about it, you outscore your opponent you win at least thats what the suns try to do in every game just outscore your opponent with not much defense being played. Thats why the attention goes to the scorers.
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1885 Sep 6, 2007
Tea Williams wrote:
You call Tim Duncan Mr. Boring. Exactly!!!
You are basically stating that you have to be flashy and highlights on ESPN to be regarded as the best. You are wrong.
Duncan is the best big man facing the basket as well as with his back to the basket.
He is a solid passer and makes his teammates better.
Hey mate, Kobe does not do this.
Apparently, down-under all you get are highlights.
I'll take Duncan over Kobe any day. Maybe not to sell jerseys or put fannies in the seats....but to WIN...I'll take Tim.
Im just curious who is your team? well alot of people would disagree with you, its not just kobe is one, your in the minority on that one, tim duncan is great but he cant take over games like lebron or kobe can, I suppose tim duncan is better than michael jordan as well, and of course kobe does not score like duncan its two different games, can duncan make it rain threes when ever his team is down by a wide margin, can he set up shots for his team like lebron and kobe can, can he score on a double and triple team if he has to late in the game, he may be able to play good interior defense and score a nice amount of points in his post moves but no way can he take over the last 2 minutes of a game like lebron wade and especially kobe. What it comes down to is duncan needs a solid team of shooters to help him win games and he has a very solid defensive team, anyone would benefit with a solid defensive team that can shoot, if duncan had a sorry bunch he would be KG when he was with the timberwolves, at least kobe always gives you that shot to win a game even if the opponent is much better. while you guys may call him a hogger what is special about him is that hes a package all by himself duncan needs the right team mates to win games, I would like to see him take this lakers team to the playoffs like kobe did it was not fair what kobe had to do to get them there, he tired himself out for the playoffs.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#1886 Sep 6, 2007
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it depends on your definition of the best player, I dont think you can compare big mans game to a perimeter game its just two different worlds, potentially duncan can dominate in more ways by playing good interior defense, blocking shots, rebounding scoring, setting screens,
I can see what you mean - directly comparing them is tough, and to a point I agree. But there's the old saying about always taking a great big man over a great guard. The best way to compare them is the following question - if every player in the NBA was made available in a draft, and you had the first pick, who would you choose? If it was me, right at this instant, I'm really not sure who I would pick. Probably not Duncan, on account of him now being 33, but I wouldn't necessarily pick Kobe either.
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text>
but the number one stat in basketball and the most important is scoring, because the game is really simple when you think about it, you outscore your opponent you win at least thats what the suns try to do in every game just outscore your opponent with not much defense being played. Thats why the attention goes to the scorers.
The attention goes to the people providing the entertainment. Scoring does that, it's true. But I wouldn't say scoring is the most important stat in the game. It's importance is all relative. Teams with plenty of scorers would be looking for good defenders, rebounders. Teams who are strong on the boards probably might say shooting and scoring. The most important stat is always the one which your team is lacking.

The best teams in the NBA - who are hardly ever the most entertaining, Phoenix are and exception - are built on a foundation of defense. Look at the Champions of the last few years. San Antonio, Detroit. The Lakers team of the lat 90s and early 2000s had Kobe and Shaq, but they weren't like Phoenix, looking to beat you 120-119. They had intelligent, savvy defenders - Kobe is a good defender, Shaq in the post, Ron Harper, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, AC Green. They knew that on the nights that they struggled offensively, they could shut you down defensively.

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#1887 Sep 6, 2007
Tea Williams wrote:
You are basically stating that you have to be flashy and highlights on ESPN to be regarded as the best. You are wrong.
Duncan is the best big man facing the basket as well as with his back to the basket.
I'll take Duncan over Kobe any day. Maybe not to sell jerseys or put fannies in the seats....but to WIN...I'll take Tim.
Well from the bussiness point of View.
which is what the NBA is a bussiness,
I want a player that can do both and Kobe can do both.
He can do the highligths, sell the jerseys, put fannies in the seats and win.
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1888 Sep 6, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see what you mean - directly comparing them is tough, and to a point I agree. But there's the old saying about always taking a great big man over a great guard. The best way to compare them is the following question - if every player in the NBA was made available in a draft, and you had the first pick, who would you choose? If it was me, right at this instant, I'm really not sure who I would pick. Probably not Duncan, on account of him now being 33, but I wouldn't necessarily pick Kobe either.
<quoted text>
The attention goes to the people providing the entertainment. Scoring does that, it's true. But I wouldn't say scoring is the most important stat in the game. It's importance is all relative. Teams with plenty of scorers would be looking for good defenders, rebounders. Teams who are strong on the boards probably might say shooting and scoring. The most important stat is always the one which your team is lacking.
The best teams in the NBA - who are hardly ever the most entertaining, Phoenix are and exception - are built on a foundation of defense. Look at the Champions of the last few years. San Antonio, Detroit. The Lakers team of the lat 90s and early 2000s had Kobe and Shaq, but they weren't like Phoenix, looking to beat you 120-119. They had intelligent, savvy defenders - Kobe is a good defender, Shaq in the post, Ron Harper, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, AC Green. They knew that on the nights that they struggled offensively, they could shut you down defensively.
You make very good points, I can see it from your point of view and things make sense, I guess there is no right or wrong its just how you see things, I still think scoring is the most important stat but I see your point on the most important stat being the weakest stat on your team. I guess since I watch the lakers all the time I see alot of kobes team mates just not stepping up to hit their shots, alot of inconsistencies, yeah thier defense isn't good either I just think they don't have the talent to stop opponents the way they would need to, so scoring was the only way for the lakers to have a ticket to the playoffs and kobe provided that even though the real stat they needed was was on defense but they had to find some way to outscore their opponents, and another thing the suns nearly made it to the finals you might recall the controversy surrounding that series I honestly think they would have won the spurs but we will never know that one for sure its a shame. Like I said I can see it your way and it makes sense as well you make good points.

Location hidden

#1889 Sep 6, 2007
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text>
You make very good points, I can see it from your point of view and things make sense, I guess there is no right or wrong its just how you see things, I still think scoring is the most important stat but I see your point on the most important stat being the weakest stat on your team. I guess since I watch the lakers all the time I see alot of kobes team mates just not stepping up to hit their shots, alot of inconsistencies, yeah thier defense isn't good either I just think they don't have the talent to stop opponents the way they would need to, so scoring was the only way for the lakers to have a ticket to the playoffs and kobe provided that even though the real stat they needed was was on defense but they had to find some way to outscore their opponents, and another thing the suns nearly made it to the finals you might recall the controversy surrounding that series I honestly think they would have won the spurs but we will never know that one for sure its a shame. Like I said I can see it your way and it makes sense as well you make good points.
I think maybe Phoenix could have beaten SA. But we'll never know now.

Hey, consider yourself lucky - as a Laker fan, even if things are tough now, at least you've got all those titles to look back on. I have to live with the Magic year in and year out!
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1890 Sep 6, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
I think maybe Phoenix could have beaten SA. But we'll never know now.
Hey, consider yourself lucky - as a Laker fan, even if things are tough now, at least you've got all those titles to look back on. I have to live with the Magic year in and year out!
Very true and believe me I do consider myself lucky to have the lakers great history to look back on, it certainly keeps you going when theres a bad season, especially if you can watch old championship games. The thing I would be bitter about if I were a magic fan is that shaq won titles with the lakers and with the heat, the prime years went elsewhere after he started so well with the magic, you got nothing for him, but at least you got dwight howard now, hes a beast.

Location hidden

#1891 Sep 6, 2007
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true and believe me I do consider myself lucky to have the lakers great history to look back on, it certainly keeps you going when theres a bad season, especially if you can watch old championship games. The thing I would be bitter about if I were a magic fan is that shaq won titles with the lakers and with the heat, the prime years went elsewhere after he started so well with the magic, you got nothing for him, but at least you got dwight howard now, hes a beast.
True. Gotta say the Magic got what they deserved with Shaq - they low-balled him, and the Lakers offered him something way more attractive. No-one to blame but themselves.

Dwight Howard could be truly amazing, though. The kid averaged 17 and 12 last year, and he doesn't really have a developed offensive game - he gets his points from put-backs off rebounds, and power moves around the hoop. If he adds a dependable hook shot or mid range jumper, and improves his passing, he's gonna be unstoppable.
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1892 Sep 6, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
True. Gotta say the Magic got what they deserved with Shaq - they low-balled him, and the Lakers offered him something way more attractive. No-one to blame but themselves.
Dwight Howard could be truly amazing, though. The kid averaged 17 and 12 last year, and he doesn't really have a developed offensive game - he gets his points from put-backs off rebounds, and power moves around the hoop. If he adds a dependable hook shot or mid range jumper, and improves his passing, he's gonna be unstoppable.
Hey just remember shaq didnt really have many offensive moves when he was a rookie, his main thing was dunking the ball, he later learned to really use all of his talent, developed a nice baby hook shot, it didnt hurt that shaq is possibly the strongest biggest player of all time, certainly in his era.
thehumanhighligh treel

Eastham, MA

#1893 Sep 6, 2007
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
Well from the bussiness point of View.
which is what the NBA is a bussiness,
I want a player that can do both and Kobe can do both.
He can do the highligths, sell the jerseys, put fannies in the seats and win.
Yah kobe does put the fans in the seats, sells jerseys, yah hes been doing a really good job at winning, wrong. without tim duncan the spurs would lose 1st round, and 0 rings. Shaq made the lakers, not kobe, once again dont get me wrong, kobe IS a spectacular and a hall of fame player, but he is not better than jordan or duncan. and besides why compare pf to a guard? Still i always take a dominant big man first over anything else.
lakers355s

San Clemente, CA

#1894 Sep 6, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
i really enjoyed watching dwight howard dominate on team usa. he has the physique of a freak- much like shaq did/does. he will be bad-ass very soon!

“KOBE = JORDAN 2X”

Since: Jan 07

planet earth

#1895 Sep 7, 2007
Kobe is 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
so do you go for the perth wildcats??
hell yeh man watch out Melbourne we got some new imports

“KOBE = JORDAN 2X”

Since: Jan 07

planet earth

#1896 Sep 7, 2007
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text>
thats good to hear, I cant wait for the nba season either, hope all goes well with your austrailian basketball, I wonder if you guys will compete in the olympics.
lol hope so. i remembered when we versed the US and got beat by like 40 haha. it was still the best game ever. cant wait for nba either!
Tea Williams

Carmel, IN

#1897 Sep 7, 2007
Tim Duncan is just as clutch as Kobe during crunch time. The diff is that Duncan doesn't force things and can kick it out to an open guy. He is not selfish.

The only way Kobe would see an open teammate is if they are standing on the rim.

Kobe has more flash and produces more highlights, but Timmy is more well rounded, better and produces more wins.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

#1898 Sep 7, 2007
Showtime wrote:
<quoted text>
yea australia qualified b4 the US did.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

#1899 Sep 7, 2007
patman wrote:
<quoted text>hell yeh man watch out Melbourne we got some new imports
haha, awesome! yeh well the tigers have been to the finals back to back years, but we only won it once, brisbane is a good team though. we will be ready mate!!
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

#1901 Sep 7, 2007
Tea Williams wrote:
ahhh, u made an ASSUMPTION again didnt you?? now i never said cos duncan is boring is why he isnt the best player in the game, did i? im not sure if i did? who knos maybe i did? or maybe you were listening to the voice in the your mind...

"yea, ill say this back to him, so i can make him back off, and then it will seem like i actually have a clue of what im on about, and maybe people will accept me to belong in these basketball forums. yea that shud do the trick! im your conscience! maybe if i try to twist the stuff he says, he will get confused and he wont know what he is arguing about anymore and then ill win this argument, cos i dont know how to respond to this person, when everything he says is right and im wrong. yea, thats a perfect plan! duncan is boring, he is right, but if i make is seem like kobe is all flashy and stuff, maybe this will prove my point as to why he isnt the best player in the game, hmm yes, im a genious ey?? im your conscience! haha, yeh ill say duncan is the best back to the basket player, maybe he will be stupid enough not to notice that i didnt say hes the best player in the league. yea!!! then ill be rolling along, and to top it all off ill make some wise crack about how in australia they only get to see highlights down there when in actual fact, they get to see at least 4-5 live games a week! hmmm, i think that will be the icing on the cake! im your conscience!"

Kobe Bryant does more than Tim Duncan does to get his team to go anywhere. Tim duncan has ginobili and tony parker who certainly help him. tim duncan wud not get this laker team very far if he was the man and kobe wasnt there.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

#1902 Sep 7, 2007
Tea Williams wrote:
Tim Duncan is just as clutch as Kobe during crunch time. The diff is that Duncan doesn't force things and can kick it out to an open guy. He is not selfish.
The only way Kobe would see an open teammate is if they are standing on the rim.
Kobe has more flash and produces more highlights, but Timmy is more well rounded, better and produces more wins.
Listen Up Coffee, if you knew anything about the game, you would understand that duncan is not as clutch as kobe, no way!! lemme tell me somfin, in order to be clutch, u HAVE to be able to force things, or u aint clutch!! the only reason duncan produces more wins, is cos he is on a good team, with ginobili and parker, and all the other guys like finley, oberto, elson, barry etc. did you see kobe with team usa? u kno how good he wud be if he has talent with him!!
Tea Williams

Carmel, IN

#1904 Sep 7, 2007
Don't you have an Austrailian Rules Football (yawn) game to attend.

You're hoops knowledge blows. Go wrestle a croc.

Your spewing of Kobe nonsense only makes your lack of knowledge apparent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lakers fans (Nov '07) 29 min Showtime 74,796
News Kayne West booed at Billboard Music Awards 2015... Mon tom wingo 9
News Festus Ezeli and the long, strange trip to the NBA May 24 tom wingo 2
News Stephen Curry, a Warrior with a golden touch, i... May 22 tom wingo 4
News Taylor Swift wins 8 at Billboard Awards; Kanye ... May 21 stewart scott 2
News Los Angeles Clippers have Chris Paul; who's next? (Jul '13) May 17 tom wingo 6
News Wizards show promise May 16 tom wingo 2
More from around the web