Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?

There are 12041 comments on the North County Times story from Apr 1, 2007, titled Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?. In it, North County Times reports that:

“Bout to get some rest, tonight should be a hard, tough and FUN game. Strength and honor. Two-4.”

By: LOREN NELSON - Staff Writer NO -- Kobe Bryant once scored 81 points in a single NBA game, a feat that is more confounding than it is astounding. via North County Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North County Times.

lakers355s

San Clemente, CA

#1843 Sep 4, 2007
Bully6Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>Mj hype man you must be smoking crystal how is what he did hype? I want you to reread what I typed to someone else if you think winning the ncaa title as a freshman with the game winning shot,college player of the year twice, if you think wining 10 scoring titles in a row, winning 6 nba finals mvp and 9 times first team defense having the highest scoring avg in the histroy of the nba and the highest scoring avg for the nba all-star game, and the only player in the history of the nba to sell out every game he played his entire career is hype you need to get Kobe hyped. Secondly hype man get real apparently you dont think mj did anything to say the hype shyt what hyped, how about he did what no nba player has ever done in many catagories shoe selling jersey selling and all the stats dont even add up to hype but instead he did his job better than anyone ever. Now Bill russell, wilt magic jerry west and damn near all the 50 greatest said he was the best ever I guess when your peers say you what the shyt does a clown who cant even dribble claim he was all hype? I am laughing at your cluck ass that Mj was all hype even the hard core kobe fans know that MJ did it every night every game for 14 years shyt even when he played for wiz he play was better than one who has ever played in the nba at that age Wow hype maybe you need to ask some serious laker fans was MJ all hype!
i catch myself reading your posts in an axel foley voice,(eddie murphy's character in bev. hills cop). it makes me laugh.
it's also amusing when you say stuff like 'cluck ass' haha.

what's interesting to me is that mj didn't win shit without the help of other oustanding players. afterall, james worthy was the leader of that unc 1982 championship team. but, to his credit mj did lead the bulls in winning six nba rings with the help of guys like pippen and rodman.
i think what's meant by people calling mj 'overhyped' is the media's insistance on deifying him.
just remember, people said that babe ruth was and will be the greatest baseball player ever, then came hank aaron. they also said there wouldn't be another golfer as great as jack nicklaus, and along came tiger woods. perhaps mj is next...
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1844 Sep 4, 2007
lakers355s wrote:
<quoted text>
i catch myself reading your posts in an axel foley voice,(eddie murphy's character in bev. hills cop). it makes me laugh.
it's also amusing when you say stuff like 'cluck ass' haha.
what's interesting to me is that mj didn't win shit without the help of other oustanding players. afterall, james worthy was the leader of that unc 1982 championship team. but, to his credit mj did lead the bulls in winning six nba rings with the help of guys like pippen and rodman.
i think what's meant by people calling mj 'overhyped' is the media's insistance on deifying him.
just remember, people said that babe ruth was and will be the greatest baseball player ever, then came hank aaron. they also said there wouldn't be another golfer as great as jack nicklaus, and along came tiger woods. perhaps mj is next...
Great points....lmao Axel Foley thats hilarious with that little song in the background haha. I just happen to be watching the golden child with Eddie Murphy last night he does have a funny voice. Funny and the kfc guy I kinda pictured this old rough kinda voice like Louis Armstrong just mad at the changes in the world of sports waving his cane and repeatedly saying "damn kids these days" but yeah great points you pointed out some fresh new things that I think have not been pointed out.
Sheikh

Doha, Qatar

#1845 Sep 4, 2007
Kobe is nothing compared to MJ. I watched a lot Kobe's games and he was just fun to watch because of his dunks and spectacular play. But he doesn't have the killer instinct like MJ. His FG % really sucks. I think ginobli, steve nash, and dirk are even better. They really how to play the basketball which is all about teamwork. I watched the FIBA and he's not even close to King James. The only one that is closest for comparison to MJ is Lebron. He's stil young and he gets better every season.
Sheikh

Doha, Qatar

#1846 Sep 4, 2007
Kobe is nothing compared to MJ. I watched a lot Kobe's games and he was just fun to watch because of his dunks and spectacular play. But he doesn't have the killer instinct like MJ. His FG % really sucks. I think ginobli, steve nash, and dirk are even better. They really know how to play the basketball which is all about teamwork. I watched the FIBA and he's not even close to King James. The only one that is closest for comparison to MJ is Lebron. He's stil young and he gets better every season.
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1847 Sep 5, 2007
Sheikh wrote:
Kobe is nothing compared to MJ. I watched a lot Kobe's games and he was just fun to watch because of his dunks and spectacular play. But he doesn't have the killer instinct like MJ. His FG % really sucks. I think ginobli, steve nash, and dirk are even better. They really how to play the basketball which is all about teamwork. I watched the FIBA and he's not even close to King James. The only one that is closest for comparison to MJ is Lebron. He's stil young and he gets better every season.
Well obviously you havent seen enough, his percentage is low because he shoots alot of 3s, and has bad shooting team mates guess who gets stuck with the ball when the shot clock is running down, his team is so bad hes forced to do something with 3 people on him because they are terrible shooters and he still manages to score, think about how much work it takes just to do that. lebron please lebron is great but you cant tell me lebron is better based on what you saw in fiba, and if your one of those that says because he helped take his team to the finals well take a good look at the east, kobe could have done the same thing in the east, instead he has to go against the suns, spurs, mavs, utah, while lebron had to go against the old nets, no arenas no butler wizards and a decent warn down pistons team, give me a break. If you truly been watching kobe play you would know he does have killer instinct the problem is it only helps you win when you got a good quality veteran team around you, not a team made of rookies, 2nd year guys, 3rd stringers as your back ups, and inconsistent hurt players all around, lets see lebron or jordan go to the finals with that in the west.

“KOBE = JORDAN 2X”

Since: Jan 07

planet earth

#1848 Sep 5, 2007
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean coca cola, rigth?
Remember Mc Donalds doesn't do Pepsi.
-.- thats great. it doesnt matter either way.

“KOBE = JORDAN 2X”

planet earth

#1849 Sep 5, 2007
Bully6Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>Mj hype man you must be smoking crystal how is what he did hype? I want you to reread what I typed to someone else if you think winning the ncaa title as a freshman with the game winning shot,college player of the year twice, if you think wining 10 scoring titles in a row, winning 6 nba finals mvp and 9 times first team defense having the highest scoring avg in the histroy of the nba and the highest scoring avg for the nba all-star game, and the only player in the history of the nba to sell out every game he played his entire career is hype you need to get Kobe hyped. Secondly hype man get real apparently you dont think mj did anything to say the hype shyt what hyped, how about he did what no nba player has ever done in many catagories shoe selling jersey selling and all the stats dont even add up to hype but instead he did his job better than anyone ever. Now Bill russell, wilt magic jerry west and damn near all the 50 greatest said he was the best ever I guess when your peers say you what the shyt does a clown who cant even dribble claim he was all hype? I am laughing at your cluck ass that Mj was all hype even the hard core kobe fans know that MJ did it every night every game for 14 years shyt even when he played for wiz he play was better than one who has ever played in the nba at that age Wow hype maybe you need to ask some serious laker fans was MJ all hype!
michael was a big hype. sure he was good and all put people expected way to much of him. like the commentators would be like oh i wonder how many 60 point efforts this season..( by the way 4 straight 50+ by kobe, Go lakers). then people made him feel almighty by sticking him literally over advertisment. don't be a sad bulls fan my child :)

“KOBE = JORDAN 2X”

planet earth

#1850 Sep 5, 2007
12th word was meant to be 'but'
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1851 Sep 5, 2007
patman wrote:
<quoted text>michael was a big hype. sure he was good and all put people expected way to much of him. like the commentators would be like oh i wonder how many 60 point efforts this season..( by the way 4 straight 50+ by kobe, Go lakers). then people made him feel almighty by sticking him literally over advertisment. don't be a sad bulls fan my child :)
haha whats up patman hows it going over there.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#1852 Sep 5, 2007
This is always going to create a lot of debate. My own feeling is that Jordan is better than Kobe, if you look at the entirity of their careers so far.

Statistically, he is better -

Kobe's career high ppg is 35.4. Jordan's was superior at 37.1.
Kobe's career high rpg is 6.9. Jordan beat or equalled that mark 3 times in his career.
Kobe's career high apg is 6.0. Jordan beat or equalled that 3 times.
Kobe's career high spg is 2.0. Jordan beat or equalled that 9 times.
Kobe's career high bpg is 1.0. Jordan beat or equalled that 4 times.

Now statistics do not tell the whole story of a player's ability, even if they do serve as a good indicator. Both guys are/were the most potent offensive threats of their era. But Jordan combined his offensive skills with a defensive dedication and intensity that Kobe has yet to equal, or even come close to in his career. You could also point to the superior number of MVP awards Jordan owns.(Kobe maybe should have more than he does - I don't accept Steve Nash as MVP over Bryant, now or ever). Then there are the Championships. Jordan has more, and it doesn't look likely that Kobe will catch him anytime soon. People argue that Jordan had a better supporting cast in Pippen and Grant/Rodman, but MJ never had the single most dominant inside player the game has ever seen. Kobe played with Shaq in his absolute prime, so I really think you can call it equal there.

The deciding factor is an offshoot from that last point, and other, points - both players were, and are seen as somewhat selfish, particularly on the offensive end. But Jordan was, eventually, capable of deferring to his teamates when he had to. And his commitment at the defensive end was unparallelled. Kobe has never quite accepted sharing the load, even with Shaq, and his attention to D, whilst superior to many, was sub-Jordan. He also lacked that killer instinct in the clutch. Kobe can take over games, undoubtedly, but I have rarely seen him dominate specifically in the final few minutes, with the game on the line. Jordan did that regularly.

With all of that said, I still think Kobe has a chance of being remembered as the greatest ever. The last couple of years since Shaq departed seems to have made him realise the importance of the team, and he showed at the FIBAs recently that he can really step up at the defensive end. In terms of raw offensive talent, I believe him to be Jordan's equal. He is probably a superior shooter, at least at range, although Michael still has the edge in the post. He is certainly as talented athletically. I simply think of it as a mental thing - with a combination of application to defense, and the maturity to take over games at the right time, he has the chance to be remember in the same manner as Michael.

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#1853 Sep 5, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
This is always going to create a lot of debate. My own feeling is that Jordan is better than Kobe, if you look at the entirity of their careers so far.
Statistically, he is better -
Kobe's career high ppg is 35.4. Jordan's was superior at 37.1.
Kobe's career high rpg is 6.9. Jordan beat or equalled that mark 3 times in his career.
Kobe's career high apg is 6.0. Jordan beat or equalled that 3 times.
Kobe's career high spg is 2.0. Jordan beat or equalled that 9 times.
Kobe's career high bpg is 1.0. Jordan beat or equalled that 4 times.
Now statistics do not tell the whole story of a player's ability, even if they do serve as a good indicator. Both guys are/were the most potent offensive threats of their era. But Jordan combined his offensive skills with a defensive dedication and intensity that Kobe has yet to equal, or even come close to in his career. You could also point to the superior number of MVP awards Jordan owns.(Kobe maybe should have more than he does - I don't accept Steve Nash as MVP over Bryant, now or ever). Then there are the Championships. Jordan has more, and it doesn't look likely that Kobe will catch him anytime soon. People argue that Jordan had a better supporting cast in Pippen and Grant/Rodman, but MJ never had the single most dominant inside player the game has ever seen. Kobe played with Shaq in his absolute prime, so I really think you can call it equal there.
The deciding factor is an offshoot from that last point, and other, points - both players were, and are seen as somewhat selfish, particularly on the offensive end. But Jordan was, eventually, capable of deferring to his teamates when he had to. And his commitment at the defensive end was unparallelled. Kobe has never quite accepted sharing the load, even with Shaq, and his attention to D, whilst superior to many, was sub-Jordan. He also lacked that killer instinct in the clutch. Kobe can take over games, undoubtedly, but I have rarely seen him dominate specifically in the final few minutes, with the game on the line. Jordan did that regularly.
With all of that said, I still think Kobe has a chance of being remembered as the greatest ever. The last couple of years since Shaq departed seems to have made him realise the importance of the team, and he showed at the FIBAs recently that he can really step up at the defensive end. In terms of raw offensive talent, I believe him to be Jordan's equal. He is probably a superior shooter, at least at range, although Michael still has the edge in the post. He is certainly as talented athletically. I simply think of it as a mental thing - with a combination of application to defense, and the maturity to take over games at the right time, he has the chance to be remember in the same manner as Michael.
You do realize Kobe's career is not over, so pretty much all those number means ZERO, wait until Kobe's career is over then repost Mj's and KB's numbers.

Location hidden

#1854 Sep 5, 2007
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize Kobe's career is not over, so pretty much all those number means ZERO, wait until Kobe's career is over then repost Mj's and KB's numbers.
First of all, re-read my post. In the last paragraph I acknowledge the fact that Kobe's career is not over when I say that he still has a chance to be remembered as the greatest ever.

Secondly, the title of the thread asks "IS Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?". Not "WILL he be?" or "CAN he be?". Therefore the stats are perfectly valid, as they give an indication to what Kobe has done and how good he is at this point in time, relative to what Michael Jordan was. So they mean plenty.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#1855 Sep 5, 2007
Yeah the Title!
We all agreed is pointless long time ago,'cause Kobe career is not over, sorry You didn't get the memo.

Sorry I got lost in the long letter You wrote.
But if You acknowledged that, why did You continued writing?, never mind that question.
I don't want to really know.
Tea Williams

Carmel, IN

#1856 Sep 5, 2007
Kobe is 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Those three rings are due to Kobe. No Kobe - No rings. Shaq was his b*tch!
Nice try. You are the only person on the planet that would believe that.
Tea Williams

Carmel, IN

#1857 Sep 5, 2007
Shaq made and makes his teammates better. Kobe does not.

Kobe isn't in the top ten of all time, so how could he be better than Jordan?

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#1858 Sep 5, 2007
Tea Williams wrote:
POINTLESS !!!!

and also Shaq did win those titles alone.
I hope You don't think he did.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#1859 Sep 5, 2007
Tea Williams wrote:
Sorry remake.... ha ha ha
POINTLESS !!!!

and also Shaq didn't win those titles alone.
Dan S

Mcalpin, FL

#1860 Sep 5, 2007
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
POINTLESS !!!!
and also Shaq did win those titles alone.
No, Shaq did not win all those titles by myself. Kobe was a big help in those three titles in LA, and he had D Wade in Miami to get the fourth.
Jordan had help too, in Pippen and Rodman.
But we have all seen what Kobe has done since chasing Shaq out of town (still don't care what he says, that's the way it is). MJ made his teammates better, and I don't think you can say the same for Kobe.
This argument is impossible to prove, just about ever Laker fan will say Kobe is better, and just about everyone else will say MJ is better. But I know this, with the game on the line, I want MJ to have the ball in his hands every time. He'll either make the play himself (bitching Byron Russell in 1998) or make something happen for a teammate (the dish to John Paxson against the Suns in 1993).

Location hidden

#1861 Sep 5, 2007
rrenault wrote:
Yeah the Title!
We all agreed is pointless long time ago,'cause Kobe career is not over, sorry You didn't get the memo.
Who exactly decided this? You? Excuse me if my opinion differs. And if the question is pointless, why get all defensive about my response to it?
rrenault wrote:
Sorry I got lost in the long letter You wrote.But if You acknowledged that, why did You continued writing?, never mind that question.
I don't want to really know.
So what you are saying is you are incapable of holding your attention for more than two minutes to read a concise and articulate argument, and you responded to me without having read what I had to say? My acknowledgment of Kobe's future came in the last paragraph of my post, so I didn't continue afterward.
Showtime

Whittier, CA

#1862 Sep 5, 2007
Mitchell UK wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, re-read my post. In the last paragraph I acknowledge the fact that Kobe's career is not over when I say that he still has a chance to be remembered as the greatest ever.
Secondly, the title of the thread asks "IS Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?". Not "WILL he be?" or "CAN he be?". Therefore the stats are perfectly valid, as they give an indication to what Kobe has done and how good he is at this point in time, relative to what Michael Jordan was. So they mean plenty.
Like another guy said this topic is pretty much dead, but of course your free to post your opinions, but its pretty dumb to me to compare numbers from 2 different eras, some eras require you to do certain things differently, there are different opponents, different style of teams, things arent the same. Jordan did have better supporting cast, shaq and kobe had to tire themselves out and play extra minutes way more than any player should because they really didn't have a great bench. The lakers front office was too afraid to disrupt what they had going that they really didn't want to make any trades to get a power forward they could rely on instead they had to get these old warn down players each year just to keep replacing someone in that position and thats a starter, the bench was worse, kobe was just as important as shaq on that team. Without pippen jordan doesnt win championships instead hes left doing more work on defense and still having to do his part on offense like kobe has to right now. Now just looking at the 2 players without stats involved I can say kobes skills are just as good he has every trick in the book and who ever cant see that is blind, but I still wont say hes better than jordan, jordan's decision making is better, his leadership is better, that pretty much is what seperates the two. The killer instinct is there with kobe but he needs the right team in order for that to help you win ball games, you gotta keep it close for the killer instinct to take effect, your asking kobe to take a team in the west to the finals with rookies, 2nd year man and 3rd stringers, oh yeah but hes got lamar whos a good player but very inconsistent, its just not gonna happen like that. Once again im not arguing that kobe is better than jordan but just wanted to point out certain things here and there, cause im tired of people making it seem like jordan was sooo much better than kobe and its not true jordan was blessed with a good team and people want to give him all the credit, the 90s were weaker than todays nba but of course true jordan fans will not submit to that. There is no right or wrong everyone has to come to their own conclusion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lakers fans (Nov '07) 17 hr Bewitched 74,787
News Kayne West booed at Billboard Music Awards 2015... Mon tom wingo 9
News Festus Ezeli and the long, strange trip to the NBA Sun tom wingo 2
News Stephen Curry, a Warrior with a golden touch, i... May 22 tom wingo 4
News Taylor Swift wins 8 at Billboard Awards; Kanye ... May 21 stewart scott 2
News Los Angeles Clippers have Chris Paul; who's next? (Jul '13) May 17 tom wingo 6
News Wizards show promise May 16 tom wingo 2
More from around the web