Feud of the Week: Daytona 500, Cup and top rookie prospects

Feb 13, 2008 Full story: CBS SportsLine.com

CBSSports.com contributor Pete Pistone and staff writer Brian De Los Santos provide analysis on three racing topics. via CBS SportsLine.com

Full Story
Bob

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Feb 14, 2008
Let the coranatio begin. JR is the guy, the sport can not be anything without him. The simple fact is that NASCAR will not let the racers race and the money that is being spent is crazy. The sport is losing popularity with many that are life long fans because of these marketing methodes. A small track race has what we want to watch racing, the car and driver that we choose as our standard, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and now Toyota. But when you can not tell the make of the cars without the stickers, it is open wheel racing. The fact that JR is a nice guy and a fairly good driver allows for a fan base but much of his fan base is made up of manufactured sound bites as well as being the only face you see on a nascar tv spot. This will come back to bite the NASCAR marketing group, as we see the coverage and the fans go to other forms of racing. Off Road for me, and Austrailian Super cars.
Whoyakidding

Cary, NC

#2 Feb 14, 2008
Back in the mid ninties, a lot of race fans saw Jeff Gordon as the man that was going to knock their man off the top of the NASCAR mountain, especially the Dale Sr. fans. When Jr. came on the scene and won two Busch Championships, he became so popular for two main reasons. The first reason was he was seen by his father's fans as the man that was going to take care of Gordon, and second he had developed a whole new fan base on his own. When Dale Sr. passed away, all these fans became one very large fan base for Jr. and it has continually grown. Jr.'s fan base has grown so large because people figured out he wasn't a reincarnation of his father but was a good driver and real person in his own right. I'm a Jeff Gordon fan but I'm also intelligent enough to realize that whether we like it or not, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the current top name in NASCAR and what he does has a big impact on the sport.

“Bye old girl, you been great. ”

Since: Feb 07

Bradenton, FL

#3 Feb 14, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
Back in the mid ninties, a lot of race fans saw Jeff Gordon as the man that was going to knock their man off the top of the NASCAR mountain, especially the Dale Sr. fans. When Jr. came on the scene and won two Busch Championships, he became so popular for two main reasons. The first reason was he was seen by his father's fans as the man that was going to take care of Gordon, and second he had developed a whole new fan base on his own. When Dale Sr. passed away, all these fans became one very large fan base for Jr. and it has continually grown. Jr.'s fan base has grown so large because people figured out he wasn't a reincarnation of his father but was a good driver and real person in his own right. I'm a Jeff Gordon fan but I'm also intelligent enough to realize that whether we like it or not, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the current top name in NASCAR and what he does has a big impact on the sport.
Guess I am one of the few when Dale passed on I didn't go over to his son. I like Jr. Just not my driver, but I know how his name impacts the sport.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#4 Feb 14, 2008
Big20Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Guess I am one of the few when Dale passed on I didn't go over to his son. I like Jr. Just not my driver, but I know how his name impacts the sport.
I another of the few that didn't go with Junior.

“Bye old girl, you been great. ”

Since: Feb 07

Bradenton, FL

#5 Feb 14, 2008
Bob wrote:
Let the coranatio begin. JR is the guy, the sport can not be anything without him. The simple fact is that NASCAR will not let the racers race and the money that is being spent is crazy. The sport is losing popularity with many that are life long fans because of these marketing methodes. A small track race has what we want to watch racing, the car and driver that we choose as our standard, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and now Toyota. But when you can not tell the make of the cars without the stickers, it is open wheel racing. The fact that JR is a nice guy and a fairly good driver allows for a fan base but much of his fan base is made up of manufactured sound bites as well as being the only face you see on a nascar tv spot. This will come back to bite the NASCAR marketing group, as we see the coverage and the fans go to other forms of racing. Off Road for me, and Austrailian Super cars.
I saw a write up that said Jr was interested in the Super cars. watch out you may get Jr. there as well sometime down the road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ward Burton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NASCAR Biz: Junior still in the headlines; Ward... (Dec '10) Jan '11 Smoke 72
NASCAR Biz: Sweet Baboo starts up front but doe... (Oct '10) Oct '10 The Fat and the F... 5
I want fries with my burger (Oct '09) Jan '10 Bud9 177
Where s Ward Burton now? (Oct '09) Oct '09 Cleo Gray 1
Nobis: The wedding must go on, in spite of the ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Mike Foligno 3
ABC 13 - Jeb Burton Making His Mark (May '09) Jul '09 wildliferacer 2
It's all about Junior a " for reals (Jun '09) Jun '09 Honest Police 135

Ward Burton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE