in My Opinion: Wrong cars were bumped

in My Opinion: Wrong cars were bumped

There are 2 comments on the Charlotte.com story from Jun 23, 2007, titled in My Opinion: Wrong cars were bumped. In it, Charlotte.com reports that:

Understand that NASCAR did prohibit two cars from participating in today's Toyota Save Mart 350 at Infineon Raceway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charlotte.com.

Sam Morris

Poughkeepsie, NY

#1 Jun 26, 2007
NASCAR: Too much control over the COT.

The fenders on the #24 and the #48 car were improved for safety, to hold down the front end for better control and handling at high speed. Penalizing teams for safety improvements leaves a bad taste in the mouths of all fans and onlookers.

The Car Of Tomorrow, is a new design. There is always room for improvement in safety and handling on any newly developed automobile. Racing teams have historically led the way in development of better automobiles. Often, safety issues have been written in blood and loss of life on the race track.

It is appalling to see NASCAR penalize racing teams for their efforts to improve the safety and handling of a race car. This is absolutely disgraceful for NASCAR to penalize the safety improvements on the #24 and #48 cars of Hendrick Motor Sports.

NASCAR should be giving rewards and incentives to the teams to make improvements for the Car Of Tomorrow.

Remember the net over the driver's window? The net came about after a Richard Petty accident at Darlington Speedway after hitting the wall on a turn, then pinwheeling end over end into the pit wall. After the Darlington wreck Richard Petty helped develop the window net.

For NASCAR to impose penalties on race teams for improving the safety and handling of a race car is utterly despicable, and a complete embarrassment to the sport.

The raised bulges in the fenders of the #24 and #48 car, would cause the air flow to put slightly more down pressure on the car. When these COT cars accelerate, you can see the front of the car lift the body (with the splitter) 5 to 6 inches off the ground, allowing air to flow under the car causing the car to get loose. The raised bulge would hopefully have provided better control and handling of the car at higher speeds and at acceleration coming out of a turn.

If you look at the Corvettes over the years, this raised bulge over the fenders is clearly apparent. This slight modification was something that could very well have proven to make a safer race car, by the added down pressure on the front end.

What will automakers learn about body style from wings and splitters on the same car body?

Racing fans well remember the days of Junior Johnson, where the auto industry came to Junior for advancements in technology. NASCAR is taking away the ability of the teams to use their knowledge and hands-on experience in building safer and better performing race cars. Historically, the creativity and developments of the race teams have aided new designs and improvements to the auto industry.

Race fans need to find a new sport, something that continues to have thrill, creativity and excitement, a sport that keeps you on the edge of your seat, something like curling.

There needs to be a new racing organization called;

ACMAR
American Competitive Modified Auto Racing

Since: Apr 07

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Jun 26, 2007
Hey Sam,
They got this little place in Mooresville called the NASCAR Techical Center. They do all of their R&D, and testing there for new concepts.

Letting teams do what sanctions SHOULD do, is like letting foxes in hen houses.

Not a good idea.

Team modifications tend to up the price of racing. The COT was invented to keep costs down.

This is not thirty years ago and guys as inventive as Junior Johnson are now a dime a dozen in NASCAR. This shows that not only has our world gotten more technical, so has the sport of auto racing. The only good thing that NASCAR can do is to purposely dumb down the rules so that technology and the COST of that technology does not run amok. Giving teams the ability to use their knowledge has given us cars that vary from track to track, causing specialization that forces lower funded teams out of the game.

See Bud Moore.

On one hand fans say they want to go back to the way NASCAR was, then they say that they are stifling the creativity of crew chiefs, mechanics and engineers.

Can't have it both ways.

Its either going to be one way or the other. I like what NASCAR has done. They have addressed a MODERN problem in a definitive way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ward Burton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NASCAR Biz: Junior still in the headlines; Ward... (Dec '10) Jan '11 Smoke 72
News NASCAR Biz: Sweet Baboo starts up front but doe... (Oct '10) Oct '10 The Fat and the F... 5
News I want fries with my burger (Oct '09) Jan '10 Bud9 177
Where s Ward Burton now? (Oct '09) Oct '09 Cleo Gray 1
News Nobis: The wedding must go on, in spite of the ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Mike Foligno 3
News ABC 13 - Jeb Burton Making His Mark (May '09) Jul '09 wildliferacer 2
News It's all about Junior a " for reals (Jun '09) Jun '09 Honest Police 135