Cornbread stuffing

Since: Dec 06

Lufkin, TX

#1 Nov 3, 2007
If any of you have acornbread stuffing recipe you wouldn't mind sharing can you please passs it on?

“How's that working for you?”

Since: Jan 07

Deep Blue Sea

#2 Nov 3, 2007
This one is good if you like sausage style...

Country Sausage and Cornbread Stuffing recipe
1 pound bulk pork sausage
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 medium-size celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 medium-size red bell pepper, diced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
1 (16 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage meat and cook until browned, stirring frequently to break up sausage. With slotted spoon, remove sausage from skillet to large bowl. Discard all but 2 tablespoons sausage drippings from skillet. Add margarine or butter, celery, onion, and red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned. Stir in broth, black pepper, and 3/4 cup water; heat to boiling, stirring to loosen any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add vegetable mixture, cornbread stuffing mix, pecans, and parsley to sausage; mix well.

Charlotte NC

#3 Nov 3, 2007
Umm that sounds good I might just give that a try.

JMO

“Follow the Yellow Brick Road!”

Since: Oct 07

Irving, TX

#4 Nov 3, 2007
Ingredients
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
2 cups skim or low-fat milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Freshly ground pepper
Cooking Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl and mix well. Whisk together egg, milk and 1 1/2 tablespoon oil in another large bowl; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into 1-inch cubes.

3. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cubed corn bread and parsley; toss to mix. Slowly add broth, tossing until the corn bread is well moistened. Season with salt and pepper.

I usually just buy the little boxes of Jiffy cornbread mixes and cook according to the box, then follow the rest of the directions. I vary the ingredients sometimes...onions, green chile, bell peppers, almost anything you want to saute. I also add some diced apples to it when mixing (not sauteed ;)). You're supposed to bake in the turkey, but I never do...I just put it in a casserole dish and bake separately.

Deep Blue Sea

#5 Nov 3, 2007
SmoothRider wrote:
1 large onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage meat and cook until browned, stirring frequently to break up sausage. With slotted spoon, remove sausage from skillet to large bowl. Discard all but 2 tablespoons sausage drippings from skillet. Add margarine or butter, celery, onion, and red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned. Stir in broth, black pepper, and 3/4 cup water; heat to boiling, stirring to loosen any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add vegetable mixture, cornbread stuffing mix, pecans, and parsley to sausage; mix well.
Jeez...nothing like forgetting the final instructions:

DO NOT let cool before stuffing into the cavity of the turkey, unless you have a thing for pathogens.

You may also put this in a casserole and bake at 350F for about 20-30 minutes. If you like a crisp top layer don't cover it with foil, if you like it moist, cover it. If you like it in-between, cover it for the first 10-15 minutes, then unwrap.
TonySpice

Burlington, NC

#6 Nov 4, 2007
SmoothRider wrote:
1 large onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
I have tried adding diced apples as well, makes it sweeter. Just a different twist.

Deep Blue Sea

#7 Nov 4, 2007
NCTonyFan wrote:
<quoted text>
I have tried adding diced apples as well, makes it sweeter. Just a different twist.
I've had it with dried cranberries, gives it a tart flavour. yummmmmmmm

“Jack Daniels 07 Post Daytona”

Since: Feb 07

Newport, KY

#8 Nov 4, 2007
I've put Jiffy sweet corn bread mix into regular stuffing recipes and it worked really good.=)

Those sound GREAT!!! I'm gonna try

San Marcos, TX

#9 Nov 4, 2007
All the above sound yummy! However, if you are in a hurry (or in my case culinary challenged), you can always use Stove Top Stuffing as a starter and add on from there.
TonySpice

Burlington, NC

#10 Nov 4, 2007
SmoothRider wrote:
<quoted text>
I've had it with dried cranberries, gives it a tart flavour. yummmmmmmm
Very good idea!! Boy, am I in the mood for Thanksgiving now! LOL!

I'm drooling!
TonySpice

Burlington, NC

#11 Nov 4, 2007
TXTonyfan20 wrote:
All the above sound yummy! However, if you are in a hurry (or in my case culinary challenged), you can always use Stove Top Stuffing as a starter and add on from there.
I never tried that but I'm sure it works. What do oyu add to it?
TonySpice

Burlington, NC

#12 Nov 4, 2007
http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll...

Here's something from Better Homes and Gardens
TonySpice

Burlington, NC

#13 Nov 4, 2007
OOOps!! Can't do that LOL!
http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll...

how about this...

“"Racing Rules"”

NHRA

#14 Nov 4, 2007
I don't like to use the Stove Top,but if you have to,don't add the whole seasoning packet,it's way to salty,but add more Bell's seasoning instead and Celery,including the Tops!(ton's of flavour)Add your sausage and i add beef as well and a bit of the Chicken livers all broke up in the Turkey stock drippings from the pan.Also add some uncle bens long grain and wild rice for another texture to the stuffing!You can also add crouton type and cornbread type together to make it really a variation!
TonySpice

Burlington, NC

#15 Nov 4, 2007
mindy wrote:
I don't like to use the Stove Top,but if you have to,don't add the whole seasoning packet,it's way to salty,but add more Bell's seasoning instead and Celery,including the Tops!(ton's of flavour)Add your sausage and i add beef as well and a bit of the Chicken livers all broke up in the Turkey stock drippings from the pan.Also add some uncle bens long grain and wild rice for another texture to the stuffing!You can also add crouton type and cornbread type together to make it really a variation!
Thanks!! I never thought about the rice idea!!

Lubbock, TX

#16 Nov 5, 2007
Thanks guys. I missed placed mine and JMO yours looks a lot like mine. But I use cornbread mix out of the box.
Brandie Brownstein

Kent, OH

#17 Nov 10, 2007
Cornbread Stuffing
2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix; prepared and crumbled
2 eggs
1 large can chicken stock
1 container ground sage
chicken livers;trimmed and covered with flour
1 medium onion chopped

Place crumbled cornbread in a large bowl and add eggs. In a large frying pan place some butter and add onions on medium high heat. Let cook about 5 min. just till browned and softened. Add the flour coated chicken livers and fry till browned...don't have to be done, they will cook in the oven the rest of the way! Add this to your cornbread mixture along with some sage...this is to your taste, but I add enough to make my stuffing very green with sage. I then add enough chicken broth to make the mixture slightly runny. I bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 - 45 minutes. It always comes out wonderful! You can add celery or celery salt or celery seed if you wish...but I hate celery and just omit it altogether! Enjoy! This recipe has been handed down from generation to generation in my family and it is now to the point that no one else in my family enjoys it but me! So hopefully someone will like it here!

Location hidden

#18 Nov 11, 2007
JMO wrote:
I usually just buy the little boxes of Jiffy cornbread mixes and cook according to the box, then follow the rest of the directions. I vary the ingredients sometimes...onions, green chile, bell peppers, almost anything you want to saute. I also add some diced apples to it when mixing (not sauteed ;)). You're supposed to bake in the turkey, but I never do...I just put it in a casserole dish and bake separately.
We use the same ingredients except I have always made mine with regular corn meal mix and a pinch of sage,
One question Does the Jiffy make it sweet?

JMO

“Follow the Yellow Brick Road!”

Irving, TX

#19 Nov 11, 2007
Jeannie wrote:
<quoted text> We use the same ingredients except I have always made mine with regular corn meal mix and a pinch of sage,
One question Does the Jiffy make it sweet?
I think it's a little sweet and I've used regular corn meal and Jiffy..I prefer the Jiffy because it is a little sweet. My mom always adds a pinch of sugar to the mixture before she cooks it because she likes it sweeter than I do.
Eric Cundiff

Carey, OH

#20 Jul 23, 2008
Brandie, sounds great except for the chicken livers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tony Stewart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tony Stewart wants back in a NASCAR Xfinity car... 18 min CatRod53 8
End the Top 35 rule (Aug '07) Sat littlebit 3
Contact Nascar Regarding Any/All Issues in Ques... (Aug '07) Fri manic 76
News Darian Grubb named crew chief for William Byron... Nov 2 Be Phartse 5
Tony's official store (Jun '12) Oct '17 Smarter 8
When will the MYSTIC return with a good story (Aug '06) Oct '17 Smarter 433
News NASCAR Cup: hearing set in lawsuit against Tony... Sep '17 ThePhart 15
More from around the web