First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“smokes~ mojo”

Since: Dec 06

kepin' the ears on the big dog

#1 Nov 20, 2011
from yahoo sports
Tony Stewart crew chief Darian Grubb: Win on Sunday, fired on Monday?

By Jay Busbee

Tony Stewart crew chief Darian Grubb: Win on Sunday, fired on Monday?On Sunday, crew chief Darian Grubb​ climbed the summit of the highest mountain of his profession, using daring, gutsy strategy to guide driver Tony Stewart to a win and a Sprint Cup championship.

As of Monday, it appears he's out of a job.

One of the most fascinating subplots of the immediate postrace celebration was the fact that Grubb has done what no other crew chief has managed in the last half-decade, and yet he's still apparently going to be looking for work.

Certainly, Grubb's performance in the early part of the year could have justified a firing. Stewart limped into the Chase, appearing to have little to compete with the workhorse programs of Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon and Kyle Busch.

Still, Stewart won the first two races of the Chase, and suddenly the ship started turning in the right direction. But then Stewart slid back in the pack, and the Stewart-Haas braintrust made the decision: Grubb was gone as of the end of the season. The team notified him of his impending unemployment as of the Charlotte race in October.

But to hear Grubb tell it, that decision was made in haste, without giving him time to see the season through. In an awkward postrace interview, Grubb said he was "pleading" to be given the rest of the season. He added that he finds this entire decision "baffling." He's not certain whether a Cup win will help his chances, and he's not certain if, even if he were offered his job back, he'd take it.

Stewart studiously avoided answering any question relating to Grubb's future. He initially blew off the question with a joke: "In the immediate future, I'm going to get him drunk." But then he lapsed into the usual bureaucratic ownerspeak, saying that there were many options to consider in any offseason. But he also avoided giving Grubb anything resembling a vote of confidence.

Perhaps Stewart and Grubb will meet and Grubb will re-up with the man whom he crewed to a championship. And perhaps Stewart will decide to look in a different direction with the expectation that his next championship won't be so close. Either way, Grubb won't be out of work for long. There aren't many crew chiefs working these days with a Cup to their credit.

“smokes~ mojo”

#2 Nov 20, 2011
from AP

HOMESTEAD, Fla.(AP) Tony Stewart and Darian Grubb celebrated in Victory Lane by hugging teammates, spraying champagne and hoisting a championship trophy.

It had to be a little awkward. After all, it probably was their final race together.

Grubb, Stewart's crew chief, said following the season finale Sunday at Homestead-Miami Speedway that he isn't sure if he'll be back with the championship-winning team.

Grubb said he was told after last month's race at Charlotte that he would not return to Stewart-Haas Racing in 2012, a strange split for a team that won five of the 10 races in the Chase for the championship.

"It was a little tough and strained, but it honestly probably made the guys rally around a little more, just because we all felt like we were a team beat and we wanted to prove that," Grubb said. "We just did it. Everybody went out there and kept doing their jobs, kept their heads up and didn't let it drag anybody down. We may have even gotten closer as a team after that."

There had been speculation about a breakup for months, ever since Stewart fired his competition director midway through the season.

In August, with Stewart sliding in the standings, he said his team wasn't worthy of taking a spot in the 12-driver Chase field. And, once he made the Chase, he didn't include himself on the list of viable title contenders.

Then Stewart won the opening two Chase races. But after finishes of 25th, 15th and eighth, he told Grubb about his decision.

Neither Stewart nor Grubb made it sound like things would change following the championship-winning victory.

"I know what his status is for the rest of night: I'm going to get him drunk," Stewart said. "Tomorrow, if we can just pick our heads up off the floor without throwing up I'm going to extremely happen."

Stewart said he will sit down with co-owner Gene Haas next week to determine the direction of the race team.

"There's a lot of things in the offseason and a lot of decisions that have to be made," Stewart said. "Obviously, we wanted to get through this championship battle first and we'll sit down as a group, obviously, this week and figure out the direction of our program.

"The good thing right now is we're sitting up here as champions and I don't think any of us are really too concerned about anything other than having fun tonight and enjoying the accomplishment we had over the last 10 weeks."

Grubb left Hendrick Motorsports at the end of 2008 to join SHR as Stewart's crew chief. He said he has spoken with several teams about other opportunities, but doesn't know what the future will hold.

"I had a lot of conversations with a lot of people, telling them please give me the courtesy of waiting until tonight to see what we can accomplish," Grubb said. "Now that we've done that, I guess we'll start talking. But I'm going to do a little celebrating first."

Grubb said he planned to stay at Stewart-Haas, but made it clear it was his decision to part ways after making the Chase three times in as many years.

"That's the reason I came here: to help build something special," Grubb said. "I think we've done that. We made the Chase all three years and had a shot at winning the championship all three years. And this year being able to pull it off, we've accomplished our goals and that's what we wanted to do. As far as timeline, I'll let you know later. We're just planning to celebrate, talk and see what happens from there."

“smoke”

Since: Dec 07

Life is short, be nice!

#3 Nov 20, 2011
Well I must admit I fired him 20 times this year and at least 5 times in the last three races. But they won the championship, tough call to make to fire him now! I hate the calls he makes and doesn't make. But they won, They won, i quess I can get over the calls after all i would rather darian than Tony!:) I understand now why he was last to go to the winners circle he spent a lot of time with his wife and son after the race as did Tony with his son holding him in victory lane. Don't fire his daddy Smoke give him Bobby hutchins job. This is not the way to go into the holidays and win a championship, I feel sorry for Darian now :(:(

“smokes~ mojo”

#4 Nov 20, 2011
interstate wrote:
Well I must admit I fired him 20 times this year and at least 5 times in the last three races. But they won the championship, tough call to make to fire him now! I hate the calls he makes and doesn't make. But they won, They won, i quess I can get over the calls after all i would rather darian than Tony!:) I understand now why he was last to go to the winners circle he spent a lot of time with his wife and son after the race as did Tony with his son holding him in victory lane. Don't fire his daddy Smoke give him Bobby hutchins job. This is not the way to go into the holidays and win a championship, I feel sorry for Darian now :(:(
makes me wonder if dead weight as JZ or darian.be interesting to see

“smokes~ mojo”

#5 Nov 20, 2011
interstate wrote:
me too it had to be hard on him and his family very awkward
CatRod53

Gary, IN

#6 Nov 21, 2011
http://www.nascar.com/news/111120/dgrubb-told...

Tony made decisions to release key personnel when he wasn't winning. Now that he has made history, and everything from the 5 wins to a risky strategy call at the end of the Homestead race he can thank Darian for, he should probably rethink this one!
debrobeaudean

United States

#7 Nov 21, 2011
I have been listening to all the interviews I can and Darian is NOT fired.. he is moving over laterally inside the SHR garage.. you could tell that he wants to spend time with the mrs and the adorable son so I would say Tony is giving Darian competition director.. or something else in the garage. Darian deserves it.. Thing is, this morning I heard Lang talking to Borland and when she asked if Darian was going to be looking for a job, he more of less said "what?" He said that they have so much work to do internally to prepare for Danica's season.. There is no way Darian is fired.. the Cheshire cat Darian has been smiling for weeks..Tony is one of the most loyal people in the entire world.. I just hope Tony gets another worthy crew cheif, worthy of having the greatest set of hands, attached to the greatest RACING mind, on his steering wheel.

“I am the Illuminati :):) ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#8 Nov 21, 2011
ruttrosmokesmojo wrote:
<quoted text>
makes me wonder if dead weight as JZ or darian.be interesting to see
Go over to twitter.Tony's team members are all giving credit to Smoke winning to (BABY CAKES) being in his ear talking to him on the radio.HHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMmm I wonder who BABY CAKES IS??????????

Location hidden

#9 Nov 21, 2011
Well Grub shouldnt have to much trouble finding a job. Does anyone know who kurt Busch & Kevin Harvicks crew cheifs will be next yr.?
tonyfan

Elm Grove, WI

#10 Nov 21, 2011
I love Smoke. But, it was so telling to see him alone in Victory Lane yesterday. The biggest day of his career, and it was like he had leprosy. No family to hug, no friends other than other drivers who respect him on the track, but not off. Darian got up on the platform rather than stay down and congratulate Tony up close. Now we know that Tony fired Darian. Nice reward for Darian after leaving the comfort and success of Hendrick and taking a risk in joining a Haas organization that had stunk prior to Tony's arrival. Tony's a wonderful driver. One of the best ever. But he's really not a good person.
What

Newton Center, MA

#11 Nov 21, 2011
tonyfan wrote:
I love Smoke. But, it was so telling to see him alone in Victory Lane yesterday. The biggest day of his career, and it was like he had leprosy. No family to hug, no friends other than other drivers who respect him on the track, but not off. Darian got up on the platform rather than stay down and congratulate Tony up close. Now we know that Tony fired Darian. Nice reward for Darian after leaving the comfort and success of Hendrick and taking a risk in joining a Haas organization that had stunk prior to Tony's arrival. Tony's a wonderful driver. One of the best ever. But he's really not a good person.
You missed Natalie and his mom in VL. Guess you only see what you want.
Cleo

Marquette, MI

#12 Nov 21, 2011
To be very honest, I think what SHR did to Darian Grubb was horrible. Where was Tony when the cars weren't working right? Oh yeah, chasing after his latest piece of tail.

Wherever Darian goes, I hope that the next company treats him better than just a number. I've lost all respect for Tony and SHR. Next year, I hope that whoever his c.c. is, he doesn't make the chase. What a freaking moron.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#13 Nov 21, 2011
Cleo wrote:
To be very honest, I think what SHR did to Darian Grubb was horrible. Where was Tony when the cars weren't working right? Oh yeah, chasing after his latest piece of tail.
Wherever Darian goes, I hope that the next company treats him better than just a number. I've lost all respect for Tony and SHR. Next year, I hope that whoever his c.c. is, he doesn't make the chase. What a freaking moron.
I'm sure Tony wouldn't give a shyt if he lost you as a fan.
Cleo

Marquette, MI

#14 Nov 21, 2011
JohnnyDeppfan2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure Tony wouldn't give a shyt if he lost you as a fan.
Probably...but how many other fans feel the same way? There is volume in numbers.

“smoke”

Since: Dec 07

Life is short, be nice!

#15 Nov 21, 2011
CatRod53 wrote:
http://www.nascar.com/news/111 120/dgrubb-told-out-of-job-tst ewart/index.html
Tony made decisions to release key personnel when he wasn't winning. Now that he has made history, and everything from the 5 wins to a risky strategy call at the end of the Homestead race he can thank Darian for, he should probably rethink this one!
That was an incredible risky call that could of lost the championship had the caution not come out. Tony was close to 26 seconds off the pace before the yellow flew. No caution would have meant no win I believe. But none the less I would give the man to Danica for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Addington on the box! I know it won't happen but it would be a good team.

I thought Tony was calling Marc baby cakes yeaterday (if that is his spotters name) after a rain delay he keyed up and asked if he could hear him, the spotter said yes Tony said welcome back baby cakes!
14 fan

Eddyville, KY

#16 Nov 21, 2011
interstate wrote:
<quoted text>That was an incredible risky call that could of lost the championship had the caution not come out. Tony was close to 26 seconds off the pace before the yellow flew. No caution would have meant no win I believe. But none the less I would give the man to Danica for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Addington on the box! I know it won't happen but it would be a good team.
I thought Tony was calling Marc baby cakes yeaterday (if that is his spotters name) after a rain delay he keyed up and asked if he could hear him, the spotter said yes Tony said welcome back baby cakes!
His spotter's name is Bob and yes Tony calls babycakes among other names.

Location hidden

#17 Nov 21, 2011
14 fan wrote:
<quoted text>
His spotter's name is Bob and yes Tony calls babycakes among other names.
Smoke calls Kevin Harvick cupcakes that is slang that Gay men use for a mans sexy azz. Now U say he calls a man Baby Cakes . R U people sure Smoke isn't light in his sneakers ????
debrobeaudean

United States

#18 Nov 21, 2011
tonyfan wrote:
I do not think Tony's father, mother and sister, who were at the race could have fit on the stage.. in case you did not notce.I think Tony had everyone from SHR on that stage... and Darian stayed by his wife and child right after the race... I think THAT is why HE is not going to be 80 hour a week crew cheif, for the 14 car,, but possibly will be Danica's crew cheif or something back in the garage.. and in case you do not notice.. Tony is FRIENDS with almost everyone that goes to the track every week, from reporters to officials to drivers and crew members.. If you do not have DTV, you probably did not see how MANY MANY people came up to him prerace in the car to wish him luck.. TONS of people and those would be race people, not fans.
Cleo

Marquette, MI

#19 Nov 21, 2011
Well, Debi..would you stand by someone who fired you? Seriously, would you?

I wouldn't.
Cleo

Marquette, MI

#20 Nov 21, 2011
Manic depressive wrote:
<quoted text>Smoke calls Kevin Harvick cupcakes that is slang that Gay men use for a mans sexy azz. Now U say he calls a man Baby Cakes . R U people sure Smoke isn't light in his sneakers ????
I'd say that he's so deep in the closet, he'll need a search party to come and rescue him.

He's a misogynist. You ever wonder why he goes through women the way that he does? Or behaves like that toward women? No self-respecting woman would be caught dead with him, money or no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tony Stewart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tony Stewart engaged to former Playboy Playmate... Mar 29 WerePhartse 88
Contact Nascar Regarding Any/All Issues in Ques... (Aug '07) Mar '18 randyman 77
News Daytona 500: What we learned during the Great A... Feb '18 RacePhartse 4
fanfeedback@nascar.com (Apr '07) Feb '18 digger39 463
Who didn't see this coming? Jan '18 manic 6
News Tony Stewart's Having A Rough Few Weeks Jan '18 AgreePhart 124
News Tony Stewart wants back in a NASCAR Xfinity car... Dec '17 Your phartse 25